Travel Changes?

We are in Virginia - last week we ranked 48th out of 50th for testing. Virginia began reopening in most of the Commonwealth yesterday, despite numbers/deaths that keep rising. Multiple localities opted out of the reopening, and the Governor (being a medical doctor) allowed them to do so. Here in Northwest Virginia we have a constant hoard of whackos from the North invade us daily, no masks, no distancing, all in poor health, usually with loaded guns, demanding their rights to shop and infect in our state. According to our department of health, the average number of citizens tested began DECLINING on April 28....out here we still don't have enough test kits...and yes, we are only 85 miles away from the man that says everyone in the nation can have one.
We are Virginia, too, but over in the part that is still closed up for another 2 weeks at least. I know the antibody tests are available on demand for $10, walk-in or appointment. I have a lot of friends who have done it (all had negative results, which tells me either the test isn't super accurate or all of the flus/viruses people had back in March and April weren't COVID). For the trip, I would arrange for testing locally, I don't think it would be an issue if you have a need for it (IE required for travel).

Well, heaven knows what it means, but every single land ABD that has dates listed for July of 2020 now says "Now Accepting Waitlist - Please Call for Details".

Sayhello
I called about this! I have a July ABD and they said they have to let vendors know at a certain time about trip numbers and usually close the trip closer to the date. But one can assume that they might also be getting ready to cancel??? Who knows!!

It's interesting because this is what the dates for our Japan trip say: "Now Accepting Waitlist - Please Call for DetailsThis departure is currently unavailable for booking. Please call for details." Just the other day it just said that the departure was currently unavailable for booking. The dates are July 5th through the 15th. I can't imagine that this trip will go ahead.

The Abbott antibody test thats used here is 85% accurate giving it a 15% error in results. The Roche antibody test is 94% accurate and is being used in the UK. My family is hoping the Roche test will make its way to the US bc we would feel better about trusting the results from that one.

I noticed this too. Raising prices significantly seemed like an odd strategy to me with a global recession likely to drive travel demand down. I am hoping they will readjust downward for 2022; I can't justify paying the 2021 prices.
I guess we'll see what happens. I also think it's a strange strategy given the 2009 season debacle when the economy tanked in 2008. ABD had to do trip cancellations left and right. Oh, well, who knows what they are thinking? It will be interesting to see what happens when the PIF dates for all these bookings rolls around, since the deposits are refundable until then. They might be surprised just how many people booked "just in case" and fully intend to cancel. Or maybe I'll be surprised when they don't!

Sayhello

Which trip are higher priced? I booked Italy next May seemed normal from past years?

I looked specifically at Africa and the river cruises because those are the two trips highest on my list. I am working from memory when I priced them last year, but both look to be up by about 500 per person over last year. Scotland looks like the opening price is the same as last year, so maybe it varies trip to trip.

So June trips were cancelled on April 20. I’m assuming we’re going to have to see some actions on the July trips this week. I think with reservations opening on the 19th for 2021, the 18th and 19th are out for announcements. So I’m assuming we’ll get the word somewhere between Wednesday or Friday.

I’m literally supposed to be in Norway for our ABD in 48 days. Meanwhile, Norway is saying to to expect travel restrictions to not lift until August at the earliest. Let’s get this cancelled!

So June trips were cancelled on April 20. I’m assuming we’re going to have to see some actions on the July trips this week. I think with reservations opening on the 19th for 2021, the 18th and 19th are out for announcements. So I’m assuming we’ll get the word somewhere between Wednesday or Friday.

I’m literally supposed to be in Norway for our ABD in 48 days. Meanwhile, Norway is saying to to expect travel restrictions to not lift until August at the earliest. Let’s get this cancelled!
With travel restrictions now into mid June from other countries, I can't imagine July trips happening.
"Current border restrictions prohibiting foreigners from entering Costa Rica continue through June 15."
"Government of Egypt will review all measures in mid-June."
"Thailand Extends Ban on Incoming International Flights Until June 30"

I trust ABD is monitoring situations on the ground at their destinations. But at some point it will be a challenge to predict if summer travel will happen unless restrictions are lifted. We have CDC travel restrictions still at Warning - Level 3, Avoid Nonessential Travel and as US Dept of State Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel.

International travel is so complex, with layover at international locations, and as someone posted, what if we needed tests, before, during, and at arrival of travel. Then you add wearing the mask for hours in an airplane with having to take it off to eat, forcing everyone in your party to wash hands and keep the mask on, etc. It will feel like work and not a vacation because I will need to bring a suitcase of sanitation supplies!

It's apparently been officially announced at 10am this morning that all land ABD itineraries for July have been cancelled. Emails are going out as we speak.

Sayhello

It's apparently been officially announced at 10am this morning that all land ABD itineraries for July have been cancelled. Emails are going out as we speak.

Sayhello
Yup! Got my email this morning.

They make it clear if you are displaced you can rebook today. I want to rebook, BUT I want a refund first (no reason for ABD to hold onto my $27k for the next 13 months). Going to try and call later today and see if they’ll let me do the refund/rebook process.

We are on a late September Southwest Splendors tour. I'm hoping it will work, but going to hold off buying our flights for a while longer.

Yup! Got my email this morning.

They make it clear if you are displaced you can rebook today. I want to rebook, BUT I want a refund first (no reason for ABD to hold onto my $27k for the next 13 months). Going to try and call later today and see if they’ll let me do the refund/rebook process.
Good to know, although crazy you only get one day before they open to the public! Good luck. I sure hope ABD is reasonable about your money!

Sayhello

Nat Geo just called to cancel our Alaska trip. I was expecting it, since they called two weeks ago to explain what my options would be if they did cancel.

They call everyone individually, so there won't be any mass email that goes out about their trips.

Said it will take 2-3 weeks for a refund, which will be to my cc. I really don't want a $14k credit on my account, so I'm going to see if they will issue a check when the refund comes.

Rebooking, even for NEXT summer, isn't even an option because the school calendar is basically no longer valid and there is all sorts of talk of changing things that may include starting school on Aug. 1 2020 and going until the END of June 2021.

So if july cancelled do August trips get chance to move like July trips did when June cancelled?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter