TSA Pre-Check Application info: what to expect & name changes

mamabunny

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone - just wanted to give a quick heads-up about something we learned this past week!

As many of you know, my hubs works for a Major Airline, so he already has a super-spiffy extra super duper clearance for when he flies (which, ironically enough, is NEVER unless he has to go out for an AOG... LOL he just loves a good old-fashioned road trip, complete with a paper atlas and a cooler in the trunk!)

But our daughter and I fly A LOT, both for business and pleasure trips. Our daughter has gotten a promotion (yay!) and has been flying around the country for work on a regular basis, and she decided she wanted to go over and get her TSA Pre-Check so that she would have that for business trips.

So, we went to the TSA website, filled out everything online as instructed, and made the appointment to have our fingerprints done, and our paperwork checked out.

Here's what we learned from the helpful folks at our local site:

- Make an appointment if you can; walk ins can, and often do, wait up to 2 hours during busy times.
- Be on time for your appointment; busy locations don't typically allow you to "work in" just because you were late.
- Make sure you have (minimally) your current Drivers License and/or Passport and/or Birth Certificate (instructions are on the TSA website); don't bring an expired DL; apparently that's a real no-no.
- They will scan your documents into the system.
- The Examiner I worked with, and the one our daughter worked with told both of us that it is a one-shot deal; if you are turned down for Pre-Check for any reason, you will not be allowed to apply again. So make sure you have everything in order!
- They also told us that basically it's the same process as an FBI background check. I don't have anything to hide, so I'm cool with that. Just a heads-up.
- You will be fingerprinted.
- The cost is $85/person and it's good for 5 years.
- You don't get a card with your KTN (Known Traveler Number) on it; you just get a letter, so save it to your smartphone (a lot of people make a Contact for it, or put it in a password-protected Note) and don't lose that number!
- The program is just now turning 5 years old, so no one really knows yet if they are going to be sending out renewal notices or not; our local office suggests making a calendar reminder in your smartphone for 3 months prior to expiration. (So 4 years & 9 months from when you apply).
- Final interesting tidbit: If your current legal name does not match what is on your birth certificate, and/or Passport, you will need to bring the supporting documentation to show HOW, WHY and WHEN the change was made. Mostly, this will affect women who get married and change their last name. In my case, my last name changed when I got married, so I had to present my Birth Certificate, my Marriage License (which showed when, why and how my name was changed) and my current Drivers License. I was very lucky that I happened to call over to our local office and ask about it before we drove all the way there; I had a hunch, even though it really isn't spelled out on the TSA website. Otherwise, I would have had to go home, get our Marriage License, go all the way back and wait to be worked in...

Hope this is helpful; TSA Pre-Check can really speed things along, even at MCO, and I'm all for anything where I don't have to take my shoes off at the airport! ;)

- Final interesting tidbit: If your current legal name does not match what is on your birth certificate, and/or Passport, you will need to bring the supporting documentation to show HOW, WHY and WHEN the change was made. Mostly, this will affect women who get married and change their last name. In my case, my last name changed when I got married, so I had to present my Birth Certificate, my Marriage License (which showed when, why and how my name was changed) and my current Drivers License. I was very lucky that I happened to call over to our local office and ask about it before we drove all the way there; I had a hunch, even though it really isn't spelled out on the TSA website. Otherwise, I would have had to go home, get our Marriage License, go all the way back and wait to be worked in...

Hope this is helpful; TSA Pre-Check can really speed things along, even at MCO, and I'm all for anything where I don't have to take my shoes off at the airport! ;)
It really is spelled out very clearly on the TSA Precheck website. I had no doubts when I applied that I needed something that showed why my DL doesn't match my birth certificate. They make it very clear.

Right here.
TSA%20Precheck.jpg

I suggest everyone read the website, as they really do spell out everything very clearly.
https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/help

And if you are lucky (at least I call it luck) and live where there is no office, like we have here, they use a 3rd party company and they take walk ins and it's very easy. No one is ever using it. MCO is why we got PreCheck a couple years ago. It's so worth it. We get to the airport an hour before our flight and still have plenty of time to spare.

We got our numbers in less than 48 hours. It was really easy

Hey everyone - just wanted to give a quick heads-up about something we learned this past week!

As many of you know, my hubs works for a Major Airline, so he already has a super-spiffy extra super duper clearance for when he flies (which, ironically enough, is NEVER unless he has to go out for an AOG... LOL he just loves a good old-fashioned road trip, complete with a paper atlas and a cooler in the trunk!)

But our daughter and I fly A LOT, both for business and pleasure trips. Our daughter has gotten a promotion (yay!) and has been flying around the country for work on a regular basis, and she decided she wanted to go over and get her TSA Pre-Check so that she would have that for business trips.

So, we went to the TSA website, filled out everything online as instructed, and made the appointment to have our fingerprints done, and our paperwork checked out.

Here's what we learned from the helpful folks at our local site:

- Make an appointment if you can; walk ins can, and often do, wait up to 2 hours during busy times.
- Be on time for your appointment; busy locations don't typically allow you to "work in" just because you were late.
- Make sure you have (minimally) your current Drivers License and/or Passport and/or Birth Certificate (instructions are on the TSA website); don't bring an expired DL; apparently that's a real no-no.
- They will scan your documents into the system.
- The Examiner I worked with, and the one our daughter worked with told both of us that it is a one-shot deal; if you are turned down for Pre-Check for any reason, you will not be allowed to apply again. So make sure you have everything in order!
- They also told us that basically it's the same process as an FBI background check. I don't have anything to hide, so I'm cool with that. Just a heads-up.
- You will be fingerprinted.
- The cost is $85/person and it's good for 5 years.
- You don't get a card with your KTN (Known Traveler Number) on it; you just get a letter, so save it to your smartphone (a lot of people make a Contact for it, or put it in a password-protected Note) and don't lose that number!
- The program is just now turning 5 years old, so no one really knows yet if they are going to be sending out renewal notices or not; our local office suggests making a calendar reminder in your smartphone for 3 months prior to expiration. (So 4 years & 9 months from when you apply).

My husband has it because he flies so much, and the ONLY reason I got it was to deal with MCO on the flight home.

I am planning on applying for TSA Precheck but am unsure when to do it. How long after you apply are you able to schedule the appt with the examiner?

The closest location to get fingerprinted is an hour and a half away so I don’t want to chance having to drive there in the dead of winter, but I don’t want to wait too long to apply if there is normally a big wait in between applying and meeting with the examiner.

This was very helpful! Thank you so much for posting this thread! Hmmmm, now where the heck is my marriage certificate?! :)

I am planning on applying for TSA Precheck but am unsure when to do it. How long after you apply are you able to schedule the appt with the examiner?

The closest location to get fingerprinted is an hour and a half away so I don’t want to chance having to drive there in the dead of winter, but I don’t want to wait too long to apply if there is normally a big wait in between applying and meeting with the examiner.
I completed the online application and signed up for an appointment at the same time.

This was very helpful! Thank you so much for posting this thread! Hmmmm, now where the heck is my marriage certificate?! :)
I had the same question about both marriage certificate and birth certificate so I just ordered both from the State (luckily for me, both came from the same state) before we set up our appointment.

I completed the online application and signed up for an appointment at the same time.

Oh okay, that sounds easy enough then! I kept reading about how some people had appts with the examiner months after applying online and that made me nervous lol. Thank you!

Similar to AngiTN, I scheduled my appt. when I applied. In my case, I applied on Friday and had my appt. scheduled for Monday. Some locations you may not be able to get an appt. so quickly, but you should at least know right away when the appt. will be.

Similar to AngiTN, I scheduled my appt. when I applied. In my case, I applied on Friday and had my appt. scheduled for Monday. Some locations you may not be able to get an appt. so quickly, but you should at least know right away when the appt. will be.

Awesome! Thanks :) I think I may apply on my next payday!

I think you have to be seen within 120 days of pre-enrolling. So if you fill out the pre-screening today, you'd have until sometime late February (assuming my math is right) to finish the enrollment process. You're given a drop down box and choose the time (at least at my location).

I think you have to be seen within 120 days of pre-enrolling. So if you fill out the pre-screening today, you'd have until sometime late February (assuming my math is right) to finish the enrollment process. You're given a drop down box and choose the time (at least at my location).

I see! Thanks :) I must have been imagining this whole process as being a lot worse than it actually is lol

I see! Thanks :) I must have been imagining this whole process as being a lot worse than it actually is lol

Once TSA announced that only people who paid for pre-check were going to get it, there was a massive rush to get pre-check which slowed processing times. I also think at one point, they halted one of the contractors from enrolling people so that caused a backlog as well.

Honestly I expected a way more intense process, but this super easy. As compared to a mortgage where the bank needs your mom's cousin's kid's pet's name and species and every other piece of information.

Yeah, as long as you can prove who you are, and why your name may not match the one you were born with, you're pretty well set.
That and you'll need fingerprints taken I think if it wasn't for the fingerprinting, they'd have it all done online. Most of it is done online now.

Thank you for all the info
We are planning to use it in a few years when we fly

I will bring my marriage license since my name changed back in 1985 to my DH's name

Also my sons name is the same as a wanted person - we found this out when our DS was 7 on our first trip to WDW - TSA /USA government gave our DS a redress # to use every time he flys.
He uses it every time we make a flight reservation.
So the Pre-check will help him tremendously. When he does the Pre-check, he will also bring the redress letter which has his code # on it, which states he is not the wanted person.

I work at a place which sent me to our Sheriffs office to be finger printed and photo'ed for a background check.
Would that info help my Pre-check to be done quickly - or help them know I have been "cleared" of any wrong doings?

Thank you for your expertise :)

Thank you for all the info
We are planning to use it in a few years when we fly

I will bring my marriage license since my name changed back in 1985 to my DH's name

Also my sons name is the same as a wanted person - we found this out when our DS was 7 on our first trip to WDW - TSA /USA government gave our DS a redress # to use every time he flys.
He uses it every time we make a flight reservation.
So the Pre-check will help him tremendously. When he does the Pre-check, he will also bring the redress letter which has his code # on it, which states he is not the wanted person.

I work at a place which sent me to our Sheriffs office to be finger printed and photo'ed for a background check.
Would that info help my Pre-check to be done quickly - or help them know I have been "cleared" of any wrong doings?

Thank you for your expertise :)
No, not really. Just the fact that you don't have anything in your background is enough. They'll still have to do their same processes. I once held a secret clearance for my job but it didn't make any difference for TSA Precheck. Outside of the fact that I'm sure there was already a Federal file on me due to that clearance.

Thanks - my DS thinks he will still need his redress number every time he flies even if he gets the TSA Pre-Check until the same name guy finally leaves this earth.

I just did this last week and learned something. Not all birth certificates are created equal. Seems pretty obvious, but it was a learner for me. Yes, I am 49 and my mother has always had my original birth certificate. I have requested the official notarized copy and had it in my files from when I needed it in the past.

My mom and I talked not too long ago and I asked her to send me my original as I had planned to apply for Pre-check and thought maybe an original was better to have. Drove the 2 hours to nearest office for my appointment time and presented my original birth certificate to which he replied "I need a certified copy"?????

Turns out some hospitals issue a "sentimental copy" to parents. And, that is the one I had! Luckily I had grabbed the envelope with my marriage certificate in it before I left home and the copy I had notarized was in there too. My heart sank when he told me as it was a 4 hour round trip and I would have hated to come up empty and have to do the 4 hour round trip again.

I had the number issued 2 days after application process on line and the letter should be here in the next 10 days.

Happy and lucky my boss insisted I get it because I travel for work and they paid for it for me...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter