TSA precheck

Well, yes and no. You're right about exposing the battery on an iPad or other tablet, but the vast majority of non-Apple enterprise-quality laptops in use right now have batteries that just snap into the back of the case. For all 4 of the laptops in our house, exposing the battery takes no tools and about 3 seconds; you just press your thumbs on the release clips and it pops out.
We have two laptops and DH's work laptop, none of them Macs and none of them have batteries that pop out.

We have two laptops and DH's work laptop, none of them Macs and none of them have batteries that pop out.
That's impressive...most would have to try and find 3 non mac laptop's with built in batteries...

I actually have 4 laptops around my house (2 dells,1 hp,1 acer) all with removable batteries.

Anyway..having Pre is great...

I do not fly frequently but did 2 flights this year, one in January and one in March. Both times I had TSA Pre-check and have no idea why. I didn't sign up for it or pay anything for it. I was surprised to see it on the ticket.

....I called Jetblue to find out directly. The nice young lady informed me that, for domestic flights, they simply put the device into a separate 'bucket' to go through the scanner, so no opening of any laptop....thanks for all your help! :thumbsup2

I've had this happen to me at Boston Logan, it was a total pain because they were picking a lot of people for this. Apparently they do that fairly often at that airport, wasted a lot of time, but it's only happened once so far.

As far as dismantling electronics, that's not something you'd see in either regular or precheck security, it's just not feasible.

Matt

I mostly fly out of Logan for business. I have pre-check (best $85 I've spent in relation to travel!) and three weeks ago I had to wait slightly longer than normal because the donuts from Dunkin Donuts had arrived for the day and they had to slide each tray of donuts through one of the precheck scanners...the donuts had priority!
I thought it was the most "Massachusetts" thing I had ever witnessed.

I do not fly frequently but did 2 flights this year, one in January and one in March. Both times I had TSA Pre-check and have no idea why. I didn't sign up for it or pay anything for it. I was surprised to see it on the ticket.
I started getting TSA precheck with I retired. Now both my husband and I have been getting it. Never signed up for it, and we don't fly all that often (about once every year or two).

As noted, not all airports have TSA precheck, and even if they do, it may not be open if you fly at odd hours. We've had pretty good experience with it. Except for the people in the TSA precheck line that don't understand the rules.

EDIT: semantics correction.

Last edited:
I started getting TSA prechek with I retired. Now both my husband and I have been getting it. Never signed up for it, and we don't fly all that often (about once every year or two).

As noted, not all airports have TSA, and even if they do, it may not be open if you fly at odd hours. We've had pretty good experience with it. Except for the people in the TSA prechek line that don't understand the rules.
Every airport has tsa, no matter how small. Not every airport has a separate precheck line.

FYI- we went to Hawaii in March and the airports there did not recognize TSA pre-check:headache:
Really annoying!

Just wanted to update on this - we were in Honolulu, Kauai (Lihue), and Kona (Big Island) and all of those airports have Precheck lanes. I asked a TSA agent and she said all Hawaiian airports do.

TOTALLY worth it, by the way. We did 11 flights this trip (with three kids in tow) and never spent more than 5 minutes going through security. It was especially helpful in Seattle, Honolulu, and San Francisco.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter