TSA precheck

Hmm... I had read 13 and up online, but when I asked the TSA agent who did my PreCheck application she specifically said it was 12 and up. I hope she was just incorrect, and they are not changing the rule.
I wouldn't be surprised for the agent to be incorrect. When at my interview, I was told that the number could only be applied to new flight reservations, and that also isn't true.

I've done 3 totally different flights bringing my 12 year-old son with me through Pre-Check with no problem.

I've had TSA pre-check three times, the last time DS got it as well but DH did not. He was being a serious PITA grump with me by the end of that trip that I was perfectly happy to take DS though the fast line and leave him to go through the regular security! No idea why I have received it and he has not, neither of us are over 45 and we always travel together.

I have had the full pat down once with the PreCheck. And an electronics screening and random bag search. But it's because the X-ray machine randomly selects people. Still prefer that occasionally than not having precheck. My flight boarded at 5:55 this morning. I got to airport at 5:35. Totally worth it!

Is this still correct? Last part of this article says even though you are at an airport with TSA Pre-Check, and have paid for TSA Pre-Check, you may not get it every time because random TSA Pre-Check passengers are selected for the more intense security checks to insure the safety of the system.
http://travel.usnews.com/features/the-pros-and-cons-of-tsa-precheck
Even if you are selected for a more intense security check the line will be much shorter and quicker than the general security line. I seemed to always get the extra pat down and x rays and such. With pre check I'm through pretty fast.

Is this still correct? Last part of this article says even though you are at an airport with TSA Pre-Check, and have paid for TSA Pre-Check, you may not get it every time because random TSA Pre-Check passengers are selected for the more intense security checks to insure the safety of the system.

The TSA website says that no one is guaranteed expedited screening. That said, my husband has had pre-check since it started, and the first couple years he would not get the pre-check designation on his boarding pass about 20% of the time, and would have to go through the regular lines. For the past 2 years or so he has had pre-check on his boarding pass for every single flight (averaging 4 flights a month each year). I have had pre-check for two years and fly on average once a month and have always gotten pre-check on my boarding pass. There are times that people from pre-check are selected to have their hands or electronics swabbed (this happened to me a couple months ago) or their baggage have extra screening, but we don't encounter this too often, maybe 2-3 times a year. Some airports use metal detectors for pre-check, but will send a few select people through the full body scanners, but that doesn't take too long at all. Neither one of us has had a pat down when using the pre-check line, nor have I personally seen one, although I am sure it does happen.

DH and I haven't "officially" signed up for TSA pre-check, but we usually get it when we fly SWA. The last time I didn't get it I asked how they decide and the security guy said it was up to the computer.

DH has artificial knees so he still has to be wanded. My walking shoes have metal coils in the heels and they set off the metal detectors, so I just send them through the scanner. The pre-check is still convenient for shorter lines, not having to place our liquids in a baggie, or take the lap-top out of its case (tho that may change depending on what homeland security comes up with next.)

I have my interview for it Friday. I received it randomly the last time I flew and I skipped past the huge line in Newark and was sitting at my gate 10 minutes after arriving in the terminal. DH and I decided it was worth the $85 for 5 years. Our next trip is WDW in November and with the construction at the Jetblue terminal I will take anything that can help speed us through the airport.

Even if you are selected for a more intense security check the line will be much shorter and quicker than the general security line. I seemed to always get the extra pat down and x rays and such. With pre check I'm through pretty fast.
I had it randomly and had to have an electronic device swabbed. It took an extra minute.

....I don't know if this has been brought up on this thread yet, but how extensive are the inspections of electronic devices [larger than a cell phone]? My Dh claims that he heard on the news about a week ago that they actually 'dismantle' I-pads, laptops, and the like....

....I don't know if this has been brought up on this thread yet, but how extensive are the inspections of electronic devices [larger than a cell phone]? My Dh claims that he heard on the news about a week ago that they actually 'dismantle' I-pads, laptops, and the like....

That's not the case. They're simply asking travelers to remove any electronic items larger than a cell phone (such as tablets) from their bags and put them in a separate bin, as people with laptops have had to do for years. You can't dismantle a tablet without destroying it. The same goes for many laptops.

This article on tsa.gov explains the changes.

Worth it is relative. If you travel frequently, especially for work, then I could see how the $85 would be worth it. I fly 2-3 times a year mostly for leisure, and I just don't think it's worth the money for me. Instead, I just show up at the airport a few minutes earlier. Granted, the airports I'm flying through are not major ones. If my main airport was Atlanta or JFK, then the cost becomes a better value.

The last time I had a flight in April, I've gotten TSA pre-check both going and coming. It was Southwest, which is my typical airline of choice, and my reservation included my rapid rewards number. I can only assume that I was flagged a safe passenger due to the number of rewards I have with Southwest from a number of recent flights. The last time I flew, my parents who are in their late 60s, also received TSA pre-check and they hadn't even flown since the late 90s. I assume they got it due to their ages. But DH did not get TSA pre-check either time. He's in his 30s, does not fly frequently, and does not have a rapid rewards account. All of this is speculation on my part but seems logical as far as who gets it and who doesn't, aside from paying for it.

That's not the case. They're simply asking travelers to remove any electronic items larger than a cell phone (such as tablets) from their bags and put them in a separate bin, as people with laptops have had to do for years. You can't dismantle a tablet without destroying it. The same goes for many laptops.....
....okay, maybe 'dismantle' wasn't the best term to use....he claimed that the news anchor reported that the devices would be opened to expose and inspect the battery.

....okay, maybe 'dismantle' wasn't the best term to use....he claimed that the news anchor reported that the devices would be opened to expose and inspect the battery.
Not even remotely correct. How do you expose the battery on an ipad or laptop? You can't without destroying it.

There's nothing to open on a tablet. They're sealed units, with an internal rechargeable battery that's meant to last the life of the device. Anything the TSA did to expose the battery would void the warranty and likely ruin the unit.

Back in the day, most laptops had a battery compartment that was easily accessible from the outside, but that's not the case anymore. Battery technology has advanced, and most laptops are replaced long before the battery is shot. The laptop I'm typing this on is 5 years old, and it's still on the same internal battery. It would take a special screwdriver to open the casing, and I'd leave the airport and go home before I'd allow anyone from the TSA to go digging around in the guts of my laptop.

I'm not saying the news anchor didn't say it...just that the news anchor had incorrect information. :)

I've had this happen to me at Boston Logan, it was a total pain because they were picking a lot of people for this. Apparently they do that fairly often at that airport, wasted a lot of time, but it's only happened once so far.

As far as dismantling electronics, that's not something you'd see in either regular or precheck security, it's just not feasible.

Matt

There's nothing to open on a tablet. They're sealed units, with an internal rechargeable battery that's meant to last the life of the device. Anything the TSA did to expose the battery would void the warranty and likely ruin the unit.

Back in the day, most laptops had a battery compartment that was easily accessible from the outside, but that's not the case anymore. Battery technology has advanced, and most laptops are replaced long before the battery is shot. The laptop I'm typing this on is 5 years old, and it's still on the same internal battery. It would take a special screwdriver to open the casing, and I'd leave the airport and go home before I'd allow anyone from the TSA to go digging around in the guts of my laptop.

I'm not saying the news anchor didn't say it...just that the news anchor had incorrect information. :)
....well, I'll pass this info on to my DS - I know that I certainly feel alot better about this whole thing.....thanks! :thumbsup2

Not even remotely correct. How do you expose the battery on an ipad or laptop? You can't without destroying it.

Well, yes and no. You're right about exposing the battery on an iPad or other tablet, but the vast majority of non-Apple enterprise-quality laptops in use right now have batteries that just snap into the back of the case. For all 4 of the laptops in our house, exposing the battery takes no tools and about 3 seconds; you just press your thumbs on the release clips and it pops out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter