Two New Ticket Offers for DVC Members!

I am so confused. We have Gold APs that are set to expire the end of September. I wasn't going to renew because our next trip isn't until a February. Can I renew the Gold, but upgrade to the Platnum, but pay the Gold renewal price? If it is the renewal price and not the price of a new pass it may pay for me to do it. Did I read something about it having to be activated by a January though?

I read through the thread and don't see many posts from folks who do NOT have an existing AP looking to take advantage of the platinum pass DVC offer. We are planning a trip in April 2018. I think I read that I'd need to buy the AP by January 2018, but does that mean the pass is effective as of the date of purchase, or can it not be effective until we activate it in April 2018? I couldn't tell from the fine print on the offer.

Also, if I buy the Platinum AP, I know there are discounted renewal prices versus buying a new pass, but what if Disney is not offering an amazing rate on the platinum renewal at that time. Can you downgrade (say to Gold) when you are up for renewal in 13 months? I'm wondering if the mouse is suckering all of us DVC folks into having to renew at the higher platinum rates.

Thanks in advance! I'm so thankful for this board - such an amazing resource. (As an aside, I wish the Dis phone app was still working- I miss it!)

And I'm suspecting that this is the "meat" behind the offer.... Platinum Passes are not selling.

Not exactly. They're basically giving away the water parks to try and discourage people from going to the now open Volcano Bay water park at Universal, which seems quite impressive. Also, they waited just until after DisneyQuest closed because that was included in platinum plus as well.

It's all about competition and business.

I read through the thread and don't see many posts from folks who do NOT have an existing AP looking to take advantage of the platinum pass DVC offer. We are planning a trip in April 2018. I think I read that I'd need to buy the AP by January 2018, but does that mean the pass is effective as of the date of purchase, or can it not be effective until we activate it in April 2018? I couldn't tell from the fine print on the offer.

Also, if I buy the Platinum AP, I know there are discounted renewal prices versus buying a new pass, but what if Disney is not offering an amazing rate on the platinum renewal at that time. Can you downgrade (say to Gold) when you are up for renewal in 13 months? I'm wondering if the mouse is suckering all of us DVC folks k having to renew at the higher platinum rates.

Thanks in advance! I'm so thankful for this board - such an amazing resource. (As an aside, I wish the Dis phone app was still working- I miss it!)
You will purchase "vouchers" ahead of time (by the Jan deadline) and then "activate" them in person on your April trip or otherwise no later than the Dec 2018 deadline. They will be good for 12 months from activation - the 13 month offer is for renewal of a current AP. And then as @ScubaCat said, at the end of the 12 months you can renew to any pass you are eligible to purchase.

Last edited:
I am so confused. We have Gold APs that are set to expire the end of September. I wasn't going to renew because our next trip isn't until a February. Can I renew the Gold, but upgrade to the Platnum, but pay the Gold renewal price? If it is the renewal price and not the price of a new pass it may pay for me to do it. Did I read something about it having to be activated by a January though?
If you choose to renew, technically you will renew to a Platinum Plus pass, but at the gold AP renewal price of Appx $505. As you will be renewing, I don't think there is any "activation" required and your passes will expire a year after your current AP's. Your deadlines are 60 days prior to 30 days after your current AP expiration date. The January deadline is for an initial purchase.

If you choose to renew, technically you will renew to a Platinum Plus pass, but at the gold AP renewal price of Appx $505. As you will be renewing, I don't think there is any "activation" required and your passes will expire a year after your current AP's. Your deadlines are 60 days prior 30 days after your current AP expiration date. The January deadline is for an initial purchase vs. renewal of the AP.
DVC passes can only be renewed by phone or in person. If renewed by phone, it will be in the form of an exchange certificate (aka voucher) and you must stop at either a park ticket window or guest relations location to activate it.

Only Tourists (those not eligible for a discount) and FL Residents can renew online and those online renewal do self activate.

DVC passes can only be renewed by phone or in person. If renewed by phone, it will be in the form of an exchange certificate (aka voucher) and you must stop at either a park ticket window or guest relations location to activate it.

Only Tourists (those not eligible for a discount) and FL Residents can renew online and those online renewal do self activate.
Good info/correction Michael. So if one renews by Phone I assume there is no deadline to activate? Just the expiration date of the new pass?

Thanks

Good info/correction Michael. So if one renews by Phone I assume there is no deadline to activate? Just the expiration date of the new pass?
Even though you still have to activate the renewal, the expiration date of the renewed pass will be one year from the expiration date of the expired pass. (Unless the renewal qualifies for the 13 month promo which expires 9/30/2017).

We will be arriving at WDW on July 27 and I currently have 5 day hoppers for us. With this new promotion, I would like to upgrade my ticket to the Platinum Plus AP. We are a party of 4 (me and DH & adult DS and girlfriend) staying in two separate rooms all on my points. I would probably be the only one upgrading my ticket, maybe DH as well. Can't do the other two because they live on their own.

If I do that on my first day, will I lose my fastpasses that I've scheduled on my hopper?

I have never done photopass before because we just take our own pics, but I see it is included with the AP. Would I have access to my son's photopass pics as well since our reservations are linked?

You will not lose your FP's. As for photopass, you will see photos from anyone on your linked MDE friends/family list and from your account you can download the non-watermarked photos. For example, wife and I are AP holders, we buy hoppers for our kids and all of us are "interlinked" via our MDE accounts. Everyone can see all the photos on their respective MDE accounts, however only my wife and I see them non-watermarked and are able to download them. I think you will enjoy photopass very much.

You will not lose your FP's. As for photopass, you will see photos from anyone on your linked MDE friends/family list and from your account you can download the non-watermarked photos. For example, wife and I are AP holders, we buy hoppers for our kids and all of us are "interlinked" via our MDE accounts. Everyone can see all the photos on their respective MDE accounts, however only my wife and I see them non-watermarked and are able to download them. I think you will enjoy photopass very much.

That is perfect! Thank you!

One option you have is to let your Gold AP expire at the end of September and just buy a new Platinum Plus AP before January. Then activate the Platinum Plus in February.

We have a Christmas week trip planned for 10 people. Last month, I bought 5 7-day PH from UT when they had a 7 days for the price of 4 deal. Those are for my immediate family. My sister's family (not DVC members) wasn't ready to buy tickets then because she wasn't exactly sure how many days they'd be there and also because she wants to use Disney Visa rewards points towards their tickets and so would need to buy directly from Disney. Now that they've firmed up their dates and also need 7 day PH, could I get the DVC 7 day PH deal and use those for my immediate family and they could use the UT ones I already have? The kids are all 10 and up so they are all adult tickets, and I haven't assigned the UT ones in MDE yet. Can I use my sister's rewards points and credit card to pay for the DVC tickets? Also, on the Disney ticket site, it says "For these items, you must show a valid Disney Vacation Club Membership ID at the park entrance to pick up your tickets or passes". Does this mean that when I purchase the DVC tickets, I don't get them until we get to the parks in December? And therefore wouldn't be able to link them in MDE to do our FP+ in October? And finally, is there any value to getting one AP and the other 4 7-day parkhoppers? We aren't going to the waterparks and have blown all of our points for this year and the next to get the grand villa for this trip, so no Disney for us until 2019 at least. Would 1 person in the party having an annual pass provide any value for the group? Sorry for the multitude of questions!

Thanks!

Laurie

We have a Christmas week trip planned for 10 people. Last month, I bought 5 7-day PH from UT when they had a 7 days for the price of 4 deal. Those are for my immediate family. My sister's family (not DVC members) wasn't ready to buy tickets then because she wasn't exactly sure how many days they'd be there and also because she wants to use Disney Visa rewards points towards their tickets and so would need to buy directly from Disney. Now that they've firmed up their dates and also need 7 day PH, could I get the DVC 7 day PH deal and use those for my immediate family and they could use the UT ones I already have? The kids are all 10 and up so they are all adult tickets, and I haven't assigned the UT ones in MDE yet. Can I use my sister's rewards points and credit card to pay for the DVC tickets? Also, on the Disney ticket site, it says "For these items, you must show a valid Disney Vacation Club Membership ID at the park entrance to pick up your tickets or passes". Does this mean that when I purchase the DVC tickets, I don't get them until we get to the parks in December? And therefore wouldn't be able to link them in MDE to do our FP+ in October? And finally, is there any value to getting one AP and the other 4 7-day parkhoppers? We aren't going to the waterparks and have blown all of our points for this year and the next to get the grand villa for this trip, so no Disney for us until 2019 at least. Would 1 person in the party having an annual pass provide any value for the group? Sorry for the multitude of questions!

Thanks!

Laurie

The new offer DVC passes are not park hoppers. On Disney's site you can select the PH upgrade option, but it will cost quite a bit more. I'm getting $394.05 for the 7 day pass in this offer, which jumps up to $489.9 if you add park hopper. That doesn't feel like a discount at all.

As for the AP, you do have more discounted dining options using one. You'll need to do some educated guessing to determine your spending and if you would be better off with an AP over a normal pass and using DVC. There's a good list on one of the sites I doubt I'll be able to link to from here, but let me try: http://www.allears.net/pl/disc_dining.pdf
Be sure to point out this chart to your sister since she has the Visa and can get 10% off at quite a few good places to eat.

Last edited:
It might be more beneficial to you to let your current AP expire at the end of September. You can then purchase the new AP before the Jan deadline and wait to activate it when you go on your trip in February. That way, your AP will be good until February of 2019, instead of expiring in Sept 2018 (if you were to renew).
So, it depends on if you want to pay the lower renewal price and have your AP expire in Sept 2018 or if you want to pay the regular discounted price and get another full year starting in February. If you have additional trips that you want to do between Sept 2018 and Feb 2019, it might be worth it to go the latter route. If you don't have any trips planned, perhaps you will end up like me and decide to add a trip or two "because I have the AP"! :rolleyes1

I called ticketing as others suggested and was able to upgrade my platinum pass vouchers that I purchased in June at $679 each. These vouchers haven't been activated yet. I asked about a refund or credit since I paid $120 more per pass than the new promotion. They told me I should call DVC as they were told NOT to offer refunds for the difference. Seems contrary to what I've read here...
Any advice?
Thanks as always!
Stacey

How much is the "renewal" price for this offer? I didn't see it listed in the details on the member website - only the $559 purchase price.

And it's been a long time since I renewed in advance as our trips haven't lined up with needing to do so - I'm usually renewing in the 30 days after expiration time frame. I have a Platinum pass that expires mid-November so it actually works to catch the 13 months by renewing early. I'll be at WDW at the very end of Sept and beginning of Oct so can do it in person but will also be using the pass that trip and we were very likely going to do a water park or maybe golf. I had non-expiring tkt entitlements I was going to use until this offer. I'm thinking the renewal will get the new Platinum plus pass from the date I visit GS? Or is it a 2 step process - first upgrade the Platinum to the Plus to finish out thru mid-Nov then another step to renew?

I called ticketing as others suggested and was able to upgrade my platinum pass vouchers that I purchased in June at $679 each. These vouchers haven't been activated yet. I asked about a refund or credit since I paid $120 more per pass than the new promotion. They told me I should call DVC as they were told NOT to offer refunds for the difference. Seems contrary to what I've read here...
Any advice?
Thanks as always!
Stacey

I replied earlier in this thread, but in short, the CM I spoke to refunded my original Platinum Plus purchase from February (unactivated) and basically allowed me to repurchase a new set at the discounted price. It wasn't so much of a price adjustment as a return and rebuy. This was Platinum Plus originally so I don't know if that makes any difference (I don't see why it should). In my original call to DVC they couldn't help with this.

Read the thread and am very excited about this offer. We arrive later this month for a 2 week stay and DW, DS and I all have active AP-gold to get us through the trip. We were planning at least one day at TL and were debating between a one day ticket or a water park AP and trying to fit our 2018 trip in before the WP AP expired. Now, we can just upgrade our gold to a P+ and have the WP access for this trip. Maybe we'll add a visit to BB!

I'm also going to buy this promotional P+ ticket while we're there to activate for our late July 2018 trip so we can have WP access then and plan an early summer trip in 2019! I still have two DVC AP vouchers for each of us from a few years ago, but they keep offering these promos that work for us. With the ticket for 2018/2019, we should be good through 2023! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter