Underground economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem can be everyone knows what the applicable "rules" are to their state/county/city but not all are the same. So different things are "allowed" in different variations, in different locations! For that reason (and well, others) I don't necessarily like to comment on what any other person is doing, because I don't know where they are located and what the rules are there. There are states that aren't even in lockdown! (NY Times article dated April 7th, yes I know it's not April 7th anymore , and WSJ article dated April 9 - I can't link it, not because I won't but because I can't get my computer to cooperate at moment! Google can help you if you are interested And yes, I know April 7 & 9 are a few days past )

One of my dogs has a vet appointment coming up soon, and he's in real need of a nail trim as well. I'll pull up, call in, they'll come out to get him, take him and give him his shot and do his nails then bring him back out to me.

I am sure they are out there. I haven't looked into it. I don't care if someone does. You do you.

thats ok, Im a big boy. There isnt anything illegal about getting a haircut.

Well, there actually is, if the person cutting you hair is a State Licensed Hairdresser in a state with a stay at home/all non essential businesses closed order in place.

In CA, people can lose their cosmetology licenses if they are found to be violating this order and running business out of their home or other's homes, plus clients can sue hairdressers if they catch the virus from them.

So, it's not "not illegal."

I think that the Flowbee is going to make a come back, perhaps with an extension tube so one can maintain proper social distancing.
:lmao:Good memories! I was just trying to describe a Flowbee to somebody the other day...

Regarding non-essential services, well, we're trying to follow the local restrictions to the letter - whether we truly believe such strict measures are completely necessary or not, we're rule-followers at heart. We have no plans to get haircuts until it's permitted although it is getting a little dire for both of us.

Perhaps we all have a line in the sand though? If I could find a rogue optician willing to make me a new pair of glasses, I'd do it in a second and pay a pretty penny for them. I'm blind as a bat and wear very strong progressive lenses. I'm really practically debilitated without them. I had a mishap and scratched the bejebbers out of my right lens; the entire length and about 1/4" through the width of it. I basically have to close that eye to read or do close up work and I have a perpetual headache from squinting. Some non-essentials are more essential than others. :(

:lmao:Good memories! I was just trying to describe a Flowbee to somebody the other day...

Regarding non-essential services, well, we're trying to follow the local restrictions to the letter - whether we truly believe such strict measures are completely necessary or not, we're rule-followers at heart. We have no plans to get haircuts until it's permitted although it is getting a little dire for both of us.

Perhaps we all have a line in the sand though? If I could find a rogue optician willing to make me a new pair of glasses, I'd do it in a second and pay a pretty penny for them. I'm blind as a bat and wear very strong progressive lenses. I'm really practically debilitated without them. I had a mishap and scratched the bejebbers out of my right lens; the entire length and about 1/4" through the width of it. I basically have to close that eye to read or do close up work and I have a perpetual headache from squinting. Some non-essentials are more essential than others. :(

Awh, I can't imagine how difficult it is with your glasses that way, I also cannot function at all without serious vision correction. My eye doctor has been a rock star in all this. She emailed all her clients and said that she will do everything possible to help us with whatever we need while sticking to our stay at home orders. She is extending prescriptions past their expiration date and still is able to have glasses made on old prescriptions through her vendors and sent directly to your house. She advised contact wearers that we could switch do daily lenses if we felt more comfortable, and was waiving all contact lens fitting requirements. I was able to order a 90 day supply of new daily lenses, that she charged fully to my insurance and had shipped directly from the manufacturer to my house. If they don't work, she said we can swap out boxes for something else once I can get back in to see her. She is incredibly responsive to emails and has been such a welcomed light in all this.

Call your optician and see if they can write you a new script and order a pair from one of the online places. That are not the best quality but I use them for sunglasses that I will likely lose or break over the summer.

Do you have a copy of your prescription anywhere or maybe your doc could email it to you? I order my glasses online from Zenni optical and just filled my prescription numbers in the boxes. Costs me 20$ instead of the massive amount my doc charges (even with my insurance which covers the cheapest frames only it's still about fifty dollars) me and honestly the glasses were of the same quality.

Awh, I can't imagine how difficult it is with your glasses that way, I also cannot function at all without serious vision correction. My eye doctor has been a rock star in all this. She emailed all her clients and said that she will do everything possible to help us with whatever we need while sticking to our stay at home orders. She is extending prescriptions past their expiration date and still is able to have glasses made on old prescriptions through her vendors and sent directly to your house. She advised contact wearers that we could switch do daily lenses if we felt more comfortable, and was waiving all contact lens fitting requirements. I was able to order a 90 day supply of new daily lenses, that she charged fully to my insurance and had shipped directly from the manufacturer to my house. If they don't work, she said we can swap out boxes for something else once I can get back in to see her. She is incredibly responsive to emails and has been such a welcomed light in all this.
I have an wonderful optometrist as well but her practice doesn't include dispensing either glasses or contacts. :( I'm this-close to trying one of the on-line places but with my prescription, the odds of me getting the measurements right are almost zilch; even 2mm makes a big difference. {{sigh}} Thanks for understanding though. :hug:

Call your optician and see if they can write you a new script and order a pair from one of the online places. That are not the best quality but I use them for sunglasses that I will likely lose or break over the summer.
Do you have a copy of your prescription anywhere or maybe your doc could email it to you? I order my glasses online from Zenni optical and just filled my prescription numbers in the boxes. Costs me 20$ instead of the massive amount my doc charges (even with my insurance which covers the cheapest frames only it's still about fifty dollars) me and honestly the glasses were of the same quality.
I wear three-zone progressives, with one of the zones inverted. It sounds crazy but if you have progressives you might understand. I'd try an on-line place but the measurements (centre of vision) need to be really, really precise - even a couple of mm make a big difference. If shut-down goes on indefinitely, there will be a point where I have to go for it. I just checked Zenni and for my prescription with nice-ish frames the price is almost $500 - about half of what "real" glasses cost me, but still not chump-change.

Of course. I’m not going without a haircut. And the barber still needs cash flow. And business is good. Best yet. It’s all cash.

You mean like "under the table" all cash? Like, 'hey they think my business is closed so no paying taxes on these earnings, woo-hoo' all cash?

*sigh*

As someone who has spent the better part of a month fighting off this virus without knowing where I possibly could have been exposed because I was careful, its people who flout the laws and rules put in place who are spreading this thing around and probably contributed to getting me sicker than I've ever been in my life. Enjoy that haircut.

I wear three-zone progressives, with one of the zones inverted. It sounds crazy but if you have progressives you might understand. I'd try an on-line place but the measurements (centre of vision) need to be really, really precise - even a couple of mm make a big difference. If shut-down goes on indefinitely, there will be a point where I have to go for it. I just checked Zenni and for my prescription with nice-ish frames the price is almost $500 - about half of what "real" glasses cost me, but still not chump-change.

Whoah! I had no idea. I'm simply nearsighted with a few other minor issues so it's not such an ordeal for me. So sorry you have to deal with that! I've never used their satisfaction guarantee or return policy but I'm really hoping there's something in there that would benefit you that way at least if you ordered them and they didn't work you could get your cash back. At least I hope so

You mean like "under the table" all cash? Like, 'hey they think my business is closed so no paying taxes on these earnings, woo-hoo' all cash?

*sigh*

As someone who has spent the better part of a month fighting off this virus without knowing where I possibly could have been exposed because I was careful, its people who flout the laws and rules put in place who are spreading this thing around and probably contributed to getting me sicker than I've ever been in my life. Enjoy that haircut.
I hope you feel back to normal soon.💕

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter