Underground economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course. I’m not going without a haircut. And the barber still needs cash flow. And business is good. Best yet. It’s all cash.

Well, the barber is still getting "cash flow"! The unemployment check AND the bonus $600 per week! So your barber is most likely REALLY making out!!! Getting all of that and still taking customers!!

I'm this-close to trying one of the on-line places but with my prescription,

I've used glassesUSA for years. My most recent pair had to be returned (right at the beginning of all this craziness). First time I've had to do a return tho. Because of all of the covid stuff, they extended the RMA period and gave me the option to refund or replace. I chose replace, and while things are running slower than usual, they are being re-made and will ship when ready. Whole process was easy and painless. I wear progressives and have never had an issue with the script. My issue had to do with the lenses not tinting properly in the sun like I ordered.

Yeah. Ok. And
I’m not going to stop supporting people I know that needs business.

Like others have pointed out there are other ways to support a business if that was your true intent!

I actually had a hair appt. that had to be canceled, because our SAH order went into effect.

My hair cuts cost $40.00. I sent my hairdresser a check for $20. It was just a small way for me to show my support during this tough time, before her unemployment kicked in.

Like others have pointed out there are other ways to support a business if that was your true intent!

I actually had a hair appt. that had to be canceled, because our SAH order went into effect.

My hair cuts cost $40.00. I sent my hairdresser a check for $20. It was just a small way for me to show my support during this tough time, before her unemployment kicked in.

I gave my hairdresser an extra $30 for my last haircut in March before the stay at home order in our state.

Last edited:

We had one around here try that. They got so much backlash they closed the next day after the order went out and dropped their lawsuit to stay open.
The owner was arrested 3 times before they yanked her license. I doubt she could win a suit, but she certainly has a lot of local support. People in my area (very rural NJ) just don't seem to be taking this very seriously.

Meanwhile, just down the road from me an elderly living facility has had 12 residents pass from this in the last week.

I am just not sure what I think about people anymore.

I wear three-zone progressives, with one of the zones inverted. It sounds crazy but if you have progressives you might understand. I'd try an on-line place but the measurements (centre of vision) need to be really, really precise - even a couple of mm make a big difference. If shut-down goes on indefinitely, there will be a point where I have to go for it. I just checked Zenni and for my prescription with nice-ish frames the price is almost $500 - about half of what "real" glasses cost me, but still not chump-change.

You might want to sign up for some of the online companies' mailing lists if you think you might order something online later, because I find the right coupons can make a big difference in the price, especially if you are looking for specialty lenses. I wear progressives as well and I think my last couple of pairs all ran under $250 CAD for reading/distance lenses with premium coatings and a nice frame with a good coupon.

Our family has been ordering online glasses for a long time from Clearly.ca and we have been very happy with the quality we've gotten. I have measured papillary distances myself successfully, but you may be able to get the numbers from your optometrist if you email them and they have them in your file. I'm sure you could return them or replace them if you had a problem with the measurements.

Some of our local dispensing opticians are not open for walk in retail but are offering emergency services by appointment - might want to keep an eye out for that if you think you'll need a brick and mortar option.

M.

Buy a giftcard. Supports the business and doesn't put other people's well being in jeopardy. And doesn't break any laws.
Can’t get a haircut by sending a gift card.
Different strokes for different folks. I’ll keep getting that haircut. Along with the folks enforcing the law. Cause they get em also.
Life is great when we all are different. Doing what works best for us and our family.

Hair cuts and styling: The girls and I have long hair that is basically one length minus the places where youngest has decided to take scissors to her's which is naturally curly and not noticed unless you take and straighten a couple of curls next to each other to learn one of them is a bit shorter than the other.
DH well let's just say he probally should have gotten in and gotten a cut before we went on lock down orders but he didn't even though we had a day notice (got the news on a Thursday that we were going to safe at home as of 12:01 AM local time on Saturday) so he could have gone into a walk in place on that Friday.
If it gets too long he will either be sporting a low ponytail like my brother and a few of my cousins or he will get desperate enough to let me or more in likely 15 year old cut his hair. I am willing to bet on the ponytail over letting one of us cut his hair in the kitchen since when money has been tight I have offered to cut his hair and got a no thank you that is not necessary.
Triming the Cats' nails and grooming them: We have 2 maybe 3 pairs of nail trimmers, multiple brushes and combs, and even some pet shampoo along with dander wipes for in between. One of them only get her nails trimmed and the occasional brushing never a bath because the last time we attempted one (younger daughter had decided the kitty needed conditioner which if cats like human conditioner it can make them very sick) it involved wrapping cat in a towel and rinsing off sections while one person held the cat and a 2nd person rinsed, a towel on the floor of the tub, 2 soaked humans, a very wet bathroom, several loads of towels put through the wash after we were done and one cat that I think over 18 months later still hasn't forgiven us. Oh this is the cat who ended up having to have multiple stitches at the vet after getting in a fight but that we were forgiven for after a day and were only punished for making her stay in that darn rabbit cage so she didn't break orders to not jump (she tore out some of the stitches from her spay by immediately after bringing her home jumping on the bed so untrusting humans that we are we decided she could have the rabbits old cage (almost a year later and it's still in the living room turned into one of the other cat's bedroom) as a place to recoperate. I don't think the collar out of a paper plate and string I made her wear after she tried to remove her stitches helped the situation or her opinion of all of us other than DH.
Manicures and Pedicures for me: I have 3 shelves full of supplies including files (I have glass files even), pushers, cuticle groomer and cuticle remover tools, 10 mini photo albums full of wraps, lacquer strips, gel strips, lacquers in multiple colors, gels, the heaters for curing items that need curing, and a few products that are used for nail art. Plus I have a source that I can get more through the mail at my consultant rate. No I don't do them professionally and am not licensed to apply them on anyone that is not in my household.
Glasses and Contacts: DH and 15 year old got new glasses last September and will go in again about the same time this year for their exams. DH likes to get his vision check done so that he has his new persciption in time for hunting season and it's just easy to send 15 year old in with him so we are not making 4 visits. I just got my contacts in late December (the test pair) and the full order in January plus other than a slight change on my right eye this time around it is the same perscription for 3 years so I have plenty of them. I also have my glasses for back up. As long as I am not driving I don't need to really wear my correction since I can see and not run into walls. DH on the other hand can't see his hand 2 inches from his face. 12 year old does not need glasses but will go in for an exam in early December. I am looking at moving my exam time to mid October (had planned it last year but not having a vehicle to drive and relying on DH because I can't drive his no power steering car without needing to be put in traction afterwards. By the time we got me a car the first part of November they were booked until into December and unless I wanted to see the one optomitrist that we were not impressed with for DH or 15 year old it was the last part of the month. The place we go to was started by 2 brothers one of who is now retired and has the son in law of one of them as one of the partners and then a 3rd who is no related. DH and I saw the brother who is now retired but switched to the other brother who 15 year has mainly seen other than the one let's try the new guy visit. 12 year old sees the son in law (the daughter used to work there but has switched over to doing lasic surgery at the surgery center in our town) as he is the one who has extra training with working with children and special needs populations. We have had her meet the one brother who is still there so if there would be an emergency at least he is a familiar person to her.

My mom and sister well as soon as social distancing is lifted for our area I am sure that they will be calling their stylist at home (a cousin's ex wife) and will be making an appointment even if they have to do it on a day the salon is not normally open. I stopped going to her and actually had my last hair cut over 10 years ago after she told my now 15 year old we will just even your hair out and then cut it really short because that is what grandma had ordered. She had gotten burs caught in her hair trying to get a ball that she and her cousin were playing with. I had a crying kid for weeks and we had to go buy a bunch of cute hats because everyone calls me a boy even though I am wearing a dress. In order to not leave little sister out she had to have some hats as well. I will probally schedule a trim for me and for at least 15 year old once this blows over with friend but it won't be a rush to get in just a when are you avalible that works for you and for us.

Dude or dud?
The Dude.
I had a mishap and scratched the bejebbers out of my right lens; the entire length and about 1/4" through the width of it. I basically have to close that eye to read or do close up work and I have a perpetual headache from squinting
Since they seem shot anyway, have you tried rubbing on plain white toothpase (i.e. Colgate) then buffing with a soft cloth in a circular motion?

I'm lucky, I have curly hair.

I'm actually letting it get a bit longer for summer right now so I can wear up in a loose bun, but I have no qualms of cutting it myself. I just pin up parts at a time and cut away. It's curly, so even if it's uneven you can't tell!
:rotfl:

The owner was arrested 3 times before they yanked her license. I doubt she could win a suit, but she certainly has a lot of local support. People in my area (very rural NJ) just don't seem to be taking this very seriously.

Meanwhile, just down the road from me an elderly living facility has had 12 residents pass from this in the last week.

I am just not sure what I think about people anymore.

Meh. She's probably one of those sovereign citizens that chews out the police and tells them they have no right to stop her.

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDIxNTQ4/sovereign-citizen-tries-to-troll-officers---gets-tased
Go P. Barnes Go!!!!

:lmao:Good memories! I was just trying to describe a Flowbee to somebody the other day...

Regarding non-essential services, well, we're trying to follow the local restrictions to the letter - whether we truly believe such strict measures are completely necessary or not, we're rule-followers at heart. We have no plans to get haircuts until it's permitted although it is getting a little dire for both of us.

Perhaps we all have a line in the sand though? If I could find a rogue optician willing to make me a new pair of glasses, I'd do it in a second and pay a pretty penny for them. I'm blind as a bat and wear very strong progressive lenses. I'm really practically debilitated without them. I had a mishap and scratched the bejebbers out of my right lens; the entire length and about 1/4" through the width of it. I basically have to close that eye to read or do close up work and I have a perpetual headache from squinting. Some non-essentials are more essential than others. :(

Agreed. My brother got a call from his podiatrist yesterday confirming his May 5th appt. He said they are going to reopen on May 1st and are going to be slammed with people that had to reschedule.

Agreed. My brother got a call from his podiatrist yesterday confirming his May 5th appt. He said they are going to reopen on May 1st and are going to be slammed with people that had to reschedule.

I need eye doctors to open!!! I ran out of contacts and it's been over a year so I need to visit the eye doctor before I can order more.

I HATE WEARING MY GLASSES!!!
:p

Well, the barber is still getting "cash flow"! The unemployment check AND the bonus $600 per week! So your barber is most likely REALLY making out!!! Getting all of that and still taking customers!!

Again, that extra money hasn't taken effect in most states. Yes, they say it's retroactive to April 1st but some people have families to take of NOW that can't wait two or three weeks.

Last edited:
Can’t get a haircut by sending a gift card.
Different strokes for different folks. I’ll keep getting that haircut. Along with the folks enforcing the law. Cause they get em also.
Life is great when we all are different. Doing what works best for us and our family.

Except for the part where "what works best for...our family" puts the rest of us in danger. Nice.

Again, that extra money hasn't taken effect in most states. Yes, they say it's retroactive to April 1st but some people has families to take of NOW that can't wait two or three weeks.

I feel badly for everyone that is struggling. I have tried to do my small part by helping people that I personally know that are struggling. My niece is one of them. She was a waitress. Has been out of work for almost a month. She still hasn't successfully filled out her unemployment application and she cant get a call through to the office. This is in Maine.

But we are in the middle of a pandemic. I don't support skirting the law and doing things we have been asked not to do.

As a side note its interesting that so many people thought our economy was so great, but the vast majority can't feed their families or pay rent after one missed paycheck.........doesn't sound so great to me.......sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter