Universal's Epic Universe - News and Discussion

Are you excited for Epic Universe?

• Yes

• No

• I'm excited for everything but the name.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm kind of wondering if some these aren't being touched up to as they might have plans to redo them more extensively after Epic. River Adventure I could see change into the new Jurassic World version from Hollywood. The land as a whole has seemed to slowly be transition to Jurassic World with the newer additions like Raptor Encounter and Velocicoaster.
Cat in the Hat really needs some love as well and a big overhaul. It's a cute fun ride so would hate to see it go but it's a shell of its original self too.

What would an overhaul to The Cat look like? I think it operates much like it did back in the day aside from the spinning, which was been adjusted many times over the years (even stopped for a while). There's no chance of it returning to its original intensity, when it had the most G-forces of any ride in the park.

Total tangent here, but the "leaked" Loews hotels web page for the Helios Grand Hotel describes it as being "[e]nvisioned as a present day, alternate universe design . . . born out of the imagery of fable, video game worlds, and film."

Discussed here around the 2:10 minute mark:

I'm not a prolific gamer, but from the first time I saw it, the artistic renderings of the Helios Grand, and more generally, Celestial Park, have reminded me of some of the settings in the late Belgian artist and video game developer Benoit Sokal's Syberia series, which is based on an "alternative Europe" with retro-futuristic Victorian steampunk influences. I feel like some of Celestial Park and/or Helios Grand employs a similar design style, altered to center around sci-fi, planetary and/or astrological themes.

I just wondered if anyone else has identified other potential sources of inspiration from the "fable, video game worlds, and film" that stand out to you as having a similar aesthetic to the Helios Grand and/or Celestial Park. I'd love to know what you think the Epic Universe designers might have had pinned to their figurative "mood boards."

What would an overhaul to The Cat look like? I think it operates much like it did back in the day aside from the spinning, which was been adjusted many times over the years (even stopped for a while). There's no chance of it returning to its original intensity, when it had the most G-forces of any ride in the park.
While I would love to see the spinning brought back I know that won't happen, though they could up it some more and even do some slow spinning. That's what made the ride so unique and fun when it opened and now the closet section that was all spinning feels so bland and awkward.
In general though I mean fixing some of the current effects that don't work, redo the video screens to look better and maybe better incorporated into the scenes they're in, fix and maybe add some animatronics. Just general updates and upgrades to the ride. And I they don't want to bring the spinning back any then change out the "spinning" scene. it's a large space in the ride that they could do a couple new scenes or so in. Just show Thing 1 and Thing 2 causing havoc around the house more. this could be a mix of screens and maybe a few simple animatronics and set pieces.

As per @lentesta on the latest Disney Dish Podcast:

He is hearing that Universal is leaning toward EPIC using a reservation/Lottery system for access.

Len thinks it will be tiered:
Deluxe Hotel Multi-day tickets = best odds
Deluxe Hotel Single day = 2nd best odds
Moderate Multi-day = 3rd best odds
all the way down to:
Off-site single day = worst odds

He had no idea how AP's would be fit in and no idea how long this would go on after opening.

He is hearing that Universal is leaning toward EPIC using a reservation/Lottery system for access.

all the way down to:

He had no idea how AP's would be fit in and no idea how long this would go on after opening.
I wonder how that would work! So people in the "top tier" would have to buy multi-day 3-park tickets, but then potentially be shut out of making a reservation for/accessing one of those 3 parks? Or would they buy 2-park tickets, and then be part of a lottery for the privilege of buying an additional ticket to EU?

I am certainly interested to see how this shakes out. It seems to me that only allowing people to buy very limited numbers of single day tickets (perhaps with an early purchase window for passholders and/or onsite guests), might be the best option, although I confess, there's no "easy way" that comes to mind, for them to handle the initial surge. I guess it's a good problem for Universal to have.

Maybe it'll work like Disney's park reservation & hopping system during the months following the re-opening. Guests buy a pass for 2 to 3 parks but only need a reservation for Epic. If they can't get a reservation, they can go to IOA and/or USO in the morning then hop to Epic in the afternoon or evening. More reservations will be allotted to Deluxe Guests than other hotels.🤷🏼‍♀️

Maybe it'll work like Disney's park reservation & hopping system during the months following the re-opening. Guests buy a pass for 2 to 3 parks but only need a reservation for Epic. If they can't get a reservation, they can go to IOA and/or USO in the morning then hop to Epic in the afternoon or evening. More reservations will be allotted to Deluxe Guests than other hotels.🤷🏼‍♀️
That makes a lot of sense! I would assume, too, that guests at the Helios Grand might have automatic park access without the need for a reservation, given that the hotel is partially located inside Epic Universe. (But maybe not: to extend the Disney comparison, does anyone recall whether, e.g., guests at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, which opens into Disney's California Adventure park, were required to make park reservations for it during the COVID reopening?)

all the way down to:

That doesn't work for me.

We're not going to spend $10k plus coming to Orlando from western Canada and not know for sure we can get into the park?? That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

We stopped going to Disney because of there ridiculous park reservation system, taking away FP+ and replacing with the Genie+ which you had to get up at 6am on vacation for any hope of riding the star attractions.

That doesn't work for me.

We're not going to spend $10k plus coming to Orlando from western Canada and not know for sure we can get into the park?? That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
We will see how it all plays out but I think that is kind of the point. They want you to either wait or be okay going to the other 2 parks.

We will see how it all plays out but I think that is kind of the point. They want you to either wait or be okay going to the other 2 parks.
My personal opinion on this:

Universal has a once in a generation chance to put Disney on the run scrambling to catch-up.

They also have a chance to completely blow this opportunity with arrogance and cockiness. Don't alienate your loyal fanbase who have been financially supporting you for the last 10-15 years.
Arrogant pricing and taking the arrogant attitude the park will be full no matter what the first few months could really impact the long term success here.

Cater to your loyal fanbase and solidify their permanent loyalty and Disney will be scrambling for years trying to catch up. They are walking a fine line here IMO.

Any new theme park in Orlando is going to draw an initially big custom base, and one such as Epic Universe's size will be a huge drawer.

However, I cannot see Universal going for any kind of park reservation, because they've witnessed the massive backlash at Disney.

Yes the park will packed to capacity for the first couple of years, but that's what they want and expect.

Park reservations are a huge turn off for people, why would they expect people to book a Universal resort Hotel and then tell them that park entry is not guaranteed? It's absolute madness and doesn't make any kind of good business sense.

I just don't think this will happen.

Any new theme park in Orlando is going to draw an initially big custom base, and one such as Epic Universe's size will be a huge drawer.

However, I cannot see Universal going for any kind of park reservation, because they've witnessed the massive backlash at Disney.

Yes the park will packed to capacity for the first couple of years, but that's what they want and expect.

Park reservations are a huge turn off for people, why would they expect people to book a Universal resort Hotel and then tell them that park entry is not guaranteed? It's absolute madness and doesn't make any kind of good business sense.

I agree with your sentiment. How to do they spread the crowds out? Epic will hit capacity daily for a long long time and what do the people at the back of the line do? Even without a reservation system there is no guarantee to get in.

Would you rather know in advance about Epic entry so you could cancel or change your plans or would you rather show up and hope for the best? Easy for a local to just change plans but anyone that needs to plan months in advance and buy plane tickets kind of needs to know.

It will be fascinating to see what they come up with.

They absolutely need to devise a good system to spread the crowd and limit the wait. Anyone here came for Hagrid's grand opening? It was an 8-10 hour wait.

Last edited:
Total tangent here, but the "leaked" Loews hotels web page for the Helios Grand Hotel describes it as being "[e]nvisioned as a present day, alternate universe design . . . born out of the imagery of fable, video game worlds, and film."

Discussed here around the 2:10 minute mark:

I'm not a prolific gamer, but from the first time I saw it, the artistic renderings of the Helios Grand, and more generally, Celestial Park, have reminded me of some of the settings in the late Belgian artist and video game developer Benoit Sokal's Syberia series, which is based on an "alternative Europe" with retro-futuristic Victorian steampunk influences. I feel like some of Celestial Park and/or Helios Grand employs a similar design style, altered to center around sci-fi, planetary and/or astrological themes.

I just wondered if anyone else has identified other potential sources of inspiration from the "fable, video game worlds, and film" that stand out to you as having a similar aesthetic to the Helios Grand and/or Celestial Park. I'd love to know what you think the Epic Universe designers might have had pinned to their figurative "mood boards."
I heard on a popular podcast that Helios & Celestial Park are going to be steam punk inspired. Very cool. <3

I heard on a popular podcast that Helios & Celestial Park are going to be steam punk inspired. Very cool. <3
Yes, but with no cogs and gears! (At least, I heard on a blog a couple of days ago that the designers had been instructed not to include them, as they were so overdone, even though steampunk was a major stylistic inspiration). It's cool to see what a difference that small instruction made to the resulting aesthetic, which feels cleaner, less industrial, and more ethereal than your typical steampunk style (e.g., Toothsome), yet still gives off the same delightfully retro-modern vibe.

Last edited:

I can see it being if you are staying at a Universal hotel you are guaranteed entry into all parks. Off site guests and APs may need reservations for the first year or two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter