Unlimited food

DH and I would often relax in our room in the afternoon and I'd run up and get a couple of slices of pizza or tacos or something, either order a drink from the bar or fill up my water bottle with ginger ale or something from the drink station and take it down to watch TV in our room or sit and eat on the verandah. So nice.

It's the best.
Be careful about assuming that you can take a full meal into the theatre. If it's busy, there's often a CM telling you that you can't take it in. Maybe ice cream or something but not a plate with burger and fries.

Good to know. I can see where this would be an issue if they were showing Star Wars at 9PM or something, but I went to a few movies in the afternoon and they were never too crowded and people always had food plates. It's where I got the idea from in the first place haha

On our last cruise, a few people were sick so they had to lock down all of the buffets, drink stations and ice cream station. You had to ask a CM manning each station to get something for you. By day three, all of the CMs at the ice cream station already knew what each of us wanted. One of our friends preferred his in a cup rather than a cone. He'd go to the drink station, the CM would just hand him a cup as soon as he saw him, he'd go back to the ice cream station and they'd fill it with the chocolate/vanilla swirl, no questions needed. That's what happens when you go there twice a day.

That's unfortunate that people were sick on your cruise. The Castmembers on DCL are the best in the business. It amazes me how much the wait staff feels like family at the end of the cruise.

No scanning of any thing when you want to eat. They do ask (and will often hand you) a wipe for you to wipe your hands. If you so much as say you can't decide, then they will bring you each of the items you can't decide on. Enjoy, and chow on! :)

No scanning of any thing when you want to eat. They do ask (and will often hand you) a wipe for you to wipe your hands. If you so much as say you can't decide, then they will bring you each of the items you can't decide on. Enjoy, and chow on! :)
Are the wipes more sanitary vs the hand sanitizer? I guess it's their way of ensuring that every guest going to the buffet or to the MDR has clean hands. I can only imagine how much waste it creates though.

Are the wipes more sanitary vs the hand sanitizer? I guess it's their way of ensuring that every guest going to the buffet or to the MDR has clean hands. I can only imagine how much waste it creates though.

That, I don't know. I know some people decline to take the wipes. They don't always hand them out on the pool decks (though they're there if you want to use them), so people could easily go from picking their swim suits out of their butts to grabbing a slice of pizza.

That, I don't know. I know some people decline to take the wipes. They don't always hand them out on the pool decks (though they're there if you want to use them), so people could easily go from picking their swim suits out of their butts to grabbing a slice of pizza.
Well, except the pizza is served to you on a plate from behind the counter. You don't pick up the slices yourself to put on a plate.

I noticed that you said you’re doing a three-night and don’t want to miss a rotation in the MDRs... in that case, you’ll want to do breakfast or lunch as room service if you want to tr that aspect as well, since there are three rotations and no repeats on the three-night.
Or...use it for a snack. That's what most people do.

Good to know. I can see where this would be an issue if they were showing Star Wars at 9PM or something, but I went to a few movies in the afternoon and they were never too crowded and people always had food plates. It's where I got the idea from in the first place haha

That makes a lot more sense than what I was envisioning -- I thought people were talking about bringing full dinner plates into the live evening shows. Which I suppose you could assuming no CM stopped you, but it just seems like it'd be crowded enough that it'd be a bad idea (plus I think it's possibly the farthest away you can get from Cabanas, at least on the Magic and Wonder). Come to think of it, when I went to see the live demo by Todd Nauck on MDAS in the Buena Vista Theater, someone else had brought in an entire plate of desserts to enjoy during the show. I remember because I tripped over their leftovers on the way out, as they'd left the plate on the floor in front of the seat they'd vacated. I was...not the most impressed I have ever been in my life....

Tbqh if it were me and I had the munchies for something unusual while I watched a movie, I'd go up to Cabanas and put whatever food I wanted in my refillable popcorn bucket (you might have to plate it normally and then transfer it; they may not allow different containers at the actual buffet line). Nice and contained and it's natural to take it with you when you're done (and I bet the CMs are less likely to stop you from taking it in, too).

I happen to like wipes better than sanitizer as I don’t really like the feel of hand sanitizer but ymmv. I’ll still use whatever option is presented though.
Actually they serve somewhat different purposes. Sanitizer is not supposed to be used on visibly dirty hands. Wipes can be used to remove small amounts of dirt/residue although washing hands is always better.

How unlimited are we talking? And how does it work? For instance, on the Dream, if I go to Cabanas for the breakfast buffet as soon as it opens, do i scan my KTTWC when i go in? What if i wanted to indulge my Hobbit roots and go for Second Breakfast a few hours later? Can I do that, buffet twice in one morning!? Or would I have to go to quick service places until lunch? And how many times can you go to each of those in a day? Do they keep track?

*asking for a friend. :squirrel:

Obviously, as you can see from the other answers, you really can have as much as you like. As to whether they keep track or not, I've had a different experience and some of the previous posters. When we have gone to eat at an MDR for breakfast or lunch, and at cabana for dinner, we have been asked our state room number. I'm not sure why, and it certainly doesn't stop you from having another meal at that time elsewhere.

Obviously, as you can see from the other answers, you really can have as much as you like. As to whether they keep track or not, I've had a different experience and some of the previous posters. When we have gone to eat at an MDR for breakfast or lunch, and at cabana for dinner, we have been asked our state room number. I'm not sure why, and it certainly doesn't stop you from having another meal at that time elsewhere.
For marketing purposes, they keep track of who actually seeks out the "alternate" facilities.

Also, they can look up and see if there are allergy/special diet issues using your room number.

Ancillary question - how about grab-n-go from Cabanas in the morning, or for that matter the MDRs? If we wanted to bring a yogurt, cereal, or piece of fruit along with us when we get off the boat for an excursion or midnight snack, would that be alright? What about coffee or tea?

Mark

The cereal can leave the ship as long as it remains unopened. No yogurt or fruit.

Any of it can be taken back to your stateroom as a snack for later.

Enjoy your cruise!

I wouldn’t encourage people to bring whole plates of food into the theater. Soft drinks, popcorn and candy are fine. Can you imagine walking along a row of seats with people juggling plates on their laps. Soiled seats and carpet would be a great surprise for the next showing in the theater.

I can see where this would be an issue if they were showing Star Wars at 9PM or something, but I went to a few movies in the afternoon and they were never too crowded and people always had food plates.

We were turned away a couple of times when we had plates of food. Just don't go expecting to be able to take it in always.

When we have gone to eat at an MDR for breakfast or lunch, and at cabana for dinner, we have been asked our state room number. I'm not sure why, and it certainly doesn't stop you from having another meal at that time elsewhere.

They ask for your stateroom number primarily to ensure that they take care of allergies. I am allergic to all seafood and a few other items and every time we go to the MDRs for lunch or breakfast they can see that on the printout that they receive from the host podium. They don't care if you going in for the second or third time (although it wouldn't be likely that you would given the amount of time they are open and you can order as much as you like).

They ask for your stateroom number primarily to ensure that they take care of allergies. I am allergic to all seafood and a few other items and every time we go to the MDRs for lunch or breakfast they can see that on the printout that they receive from the host podium. They don't care if you going in for the second or third time (although it wouldn't be likely that you would given the amount of time they are open and you can order as much as you like).

They don't do this in any of the quick service places on the pool deck. So, I guess in those cases you just have to look out for your own allergy needs?

They don't do this in any of the quick service places on the pool deck. So, I guess in those cases you just have to look out for your own allergy needs?

Yes. You can ask about ingredients and how it's cooked but it's much more difficult for them to control cross-contamination and they have no separate preparation areas for allergies as they do in the MDRs. If you are at all concerned, I don't suggest you eat there. They do their best but it's just not set up for it. My primary allergies are reasonably easy to identify (mostly seafood) so it's reasonably easy to avoid or figure out what might be at risk. This is the same issue as with the buffet. You can have someone walk you through the buffet but it's difficult to completely control cross-contamination as I've seen people use spoons from one dish in another one. I always avoid taking anything at a dish that is beside one with seafood because of that.

AMAZING! THANK YOU! i feel like i understand now. My only remaining question is about room service in category T (1 bedroom concierge) where we are staying. I had read somewhere in my research that my suite has the ability to order "hot" room service from the MDR's because there is a dining table in our room. I am wondering if this is accurate? we are travelling with 3 little kids, so I am trying to anticipate one of us having to be in the room one or more kid for any number of reasons during dinner time. We are only doing a 3-night for our first trip so I don't want to miss out on a rotation.
I haven't spoken to anyone at the concierge phone line yet.

Yes, except for the last morning. I think service ends around midnight the last night of the cruise.

MJ

Concierge guests can order breakfast on debarkation day, I am pretty sure you will receive information the night before (but if you have any questions you can ask a Concierge host)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter