Unpopular Opinions

I'm a dessert freak. I love dessert. We stayed at the Contemporary and those cupcakes the size of a baby's head were fantastic. I keep hoping for better dessert options from these menus I've seen but so far...not hugely impressed. I'll hope for the best during our cruise :) I do hear if you're a dessert person Carnival is the way to go, but based off of prior meals at WDW and other Disney properties I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll pull off some to-die-for desserts :D

I, like you, am a dessert freak and retired baker. I did Carnival and was unimpressed with their desserts too. I had the lava cake every night due to the lack of being impressed. On DCL I end up ordering as much Gran Mariner souffle as possible.

Another unpopular opinion I liked the popcorn soup, and was also unimpressed with the All Hands on Deck cheese platter and I love cheese like I love dessert. I prefer the oatmeal cookies over the chocolate chip ones

Exactly. So for me, if I want to experience a place, I'll take a land trip there and really experience it. Of course, the ports can give you enough of a taste sometimes. For example, hubby had never been to Cozumel before and wanted to check it out. So when we docked there last week we headed off the ship and within a short time, he had enough. The vendors are obnoxious with the calling you into the store. Good thing is, now we don't ever have to get off at Cozumel again (unless we pop off to pick up Rum cake).

If you ever get to Cozumel again do a Jeep Excursion. They are a blast, get you out of the port area and over to the other side of the island with several stops along the way. We have done it and are doing it next month on the west bound Panama Canal cruise.

Just coming back from my first Disney Cruise and I'm afraid I have some unpopular opinions of my own now:

- I tought Palo had major flaws. The cured meat and olives served at the beginning were just okay. I've had better at home. My braised beef raviolis were litteraly drowned in the sauce (the taste was too strong, barely edible).The sirloin steak and the chocolate soufflé were good though. Just not enough to make me want to eat at Palo again.

- I thought the food was terrible at Animator's Palate. I was not able to eat more than 2 bites of each dish that was served to us. The concept was cute but that's it. I will skip that one on our next cruise.

-The service on our MDR was not exceptional (quite the contrary, he seemed to be in a bad mood). He did not get a penny over our pre-paid gratuity.

- I thought a 3 night cruise was good enough. Not too short, just perfect. Yes a 5-7 nights cruise must be awesome but we felt "on vacation" right away.

Last edited:

Here is a terribly unpopular opinion (something akin to assaulting your mother or spitting on the flag, I'm afraid): I don't get people who have to update their facebook FROM THE SHIP!! OR go on DISBOARDS FROM THE FREAKIN SHIP!!!!

It's a vacation. unplug a little. your pretend facebook friends will miss you all the more and look forward to your return....

FIRE AWAY:firefight

Here is a terribly unpopular opinion (something akin to assaulting your mother or spitting on the flag, I'm afraid): I don't get people who have to update their facebook FROM THE SHIP!! OR go on DISBOARDS FROM THE FREAKIN SHIP!!!!

It's a vacation. unplug a little. your pretend facebook friends will miss you all the more and look forward to your return....

I've misplaced my flame-thrower :teeth:

Oh, wait, I don't need to flame - I agree.

That's one thing you'll never see me do. I don't begrudge those who do it, especially if something out of the ordinary happens and they post updates. But for me, when I cruise I turn my cell phone on only in US ports and only long enough to call home to ensure everything is alright. And I never go online on vacation and I try to avoid any news at all. This goes for when I'm at WDW, on DCL, or even in Europe. For me, vacation is time to get away from it all.

I don't come on here when I'm cruising. I will admit to checking my email on occasion - but I only open something personal that looks important. FB, mainly stay off. BUT I couldn't resist posting some pictures in February when it was frigid in NYC and glorious in the Caribbean. Gotta rub it in sometimes! Haha!

I use my Untappd app to check into beers I have while I'm traveling, and I definitely post pictures of how nice it is where I'm traveling when it's in the single digits and iced in back home.

So, I think rainforest room is a complete waste of money. If you want a cold shower, you can make that happen in your stateroom. There is also a sauna in the women's locker room. You dont have to have a spa treatment to use the locker room since you may be going to the gym. I LOVE a nice hot sauna, but there's one for free in the locker room, no need to pay for it!!

I think Disney cruises are getting too expensive. We have been on 16 and always thought they were worth that little extra, but that little is now a lot. The EBTA next year would be 50% more expensive than last year so we're giving it a miss. The European cruises on the Magic are way too expensive and I'm amazed they sell out.

They only sell out in the beginning but when final payment rolls around the excitement wears off and they typically are offering discount fairs 90 days out. Our 9 night Norwegian Fjords in June still has quite a bit of rooms available. And my first DCL Cruise was the 2010 N. Europe and it was no where near full either.

* I don't see what is so difficult about typing out "chicken parmesan" and find "parm" annoying.

This made me giggle. :-)

While you may not have spelled it correct (as some felt the need to point out) the point you were making was not lost on me and I also find the need to abbreviate simple words annoying at times. Hence, the reason I giggle. (ex. what evs. Really you can't say ever? Did you save a lot of time dropping the er?)

Last edited:

Love this. Even when we sailed concierge and had some free internet we never used it. I work a lot and it comes home with me too, so seven days without email is heaven:)

Guilty as charged. But to my defense, I went only two times for about 5-10 minutes when I usually go 20 times a day. :rotfl2:(I shouldn't laugh, I have no life.)

My unpopular opinion (and I realize it is unpopular and my own) is that I don't see the appeal of cruising DCL without kids. Yep, I just don't get it. I love DCL and have had the best vacations of my life. But I just can't see myself wanting to do it without the kids. So many other vacations would appeal to me more if we went away just the two us.

My unpopular opinion (and I realize it is unpopular and my own) is that I don't see the appeal of cruising DCL without kids. Yep, I just don't get it. I love DCL and have had the best vacations of my life. But I just can't see myself wanting to do it without the kids. So many other vacations would appeal to me more if we went away just the two us.

popcorn::

Have you ever been to Disneyland or WDW without kids? In some ways it's actually more fun.

I have to agree with you on Atlantis, we loved our day there and can't wait to do it again.

I do not like the Golden Mickeys. There, I said it......this seems to be a very popular show with a LOT of folks on this board and while I respect that, we just did not enjoy it and opted to leave during the show and have not watched it since then. Our FAVORITE show is Villains Tonight which seems to be unpopular on this board but we love it! :goodvibes

We felt exactly the same way. After watching the Golden Mickey's we almost didn't go to any other shows because we all unanimously thought it was so bad. We all loved Villians tonight.

So, I think rainforest room is a complete waste of money. If you want a cold shower, you can make that happen in your stateroom. There is also a sauna in the women's locker room. You dont have to have a spa treatment to use the locker room since you may be going to the gym. I LOVE a nice hot sauna, but there's one for free in the locker room, no need to pay for it!!

We also thought the cold shower were not fun.

But having a jacuzzi to ourselves is something we couldn't have elsewhere ... even in the adult only section (which was just as crowded on Nassau day than the kids pool). And we loved those heated chairs. Just for that it was worth the 16$.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter