Updated with link about trip. Just want to share something I have not told anyone..

ILoveMyGirls

DIS Veteran
including my family.

I am handicapped and going downhill fast, my family knows this. I so pushed going on our upcoming trip even though we so can't afford it and I've saved every penny I could to go on this trip because I think it might be the last time I can do this with my kiddos. It really makes me cry as I want to be "normal" and am not. ME renting a scooter is killing me but reality is I have to have one to get around the park, otherwise, I'll just sit on a bench and wait for my DH and kiddos all day. NO FUN.

Please wish me luck as I really think this may be my last trip to Disney.

Link to trip report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2551021

Please do rent the scooter. It sounds like it will make your trip more enjoyable for you, which in turn will make it enjoyable for the rest of the family. If this does end up being your last trip, then everyone will have happy memories.

I hope you have a Magical time!! :wizard:

Yes rent the scooter I kick myself all the time for waiting as long as I did. I hope this is the best trip ever.

Hope you have a great time.

If you have not rented a scooter before, I think you will find it is a different (in a very nice way) vacation.
About 5 before he unexpectedly died, my FIL had gotten to the point where he could barely walk at the parks. He would basically walk from bench to bench and sit and wait for us. He went on few attractions because he didn’t want to walk too far into the park (had to save enough energy to get back out again) and he missed a lot of fun with my kids because of that. After a number of years of suggesting he rent, we finally convinced him to rent in Epcot one day. He actually went all over that day and ended the day without pain. It was the first time in many years that I had not seen him end the day with pain pills and ice bags on both knees. He said that he wished he had rented 5 years before.

That was not his last trip; he had 3 more years of trips with us before his sudden death. Each trip was a blessing and I hope you can have a blessed trip.

wow, i am so touched by your story. God bless your FIL.

i am renting a scooter, renting it off-site. i guess i am just worried about people making fun of me on it. i know i need to get over this and just have fun. i have 3 weeks and 4 days until we go so i have to get over it fast :) lol

Hope you have a great time.

If you have not rented a scooter before, I think you will find it is a different (in a very nice way) vacation.
About 5 before he unexpectedly died, my FIL had gotten to the point where he could barely walk at the parks. He would basically walk from bench to bench and sit and wait for us. He went on few attractions because he didn’t want to walk too far into the park (had to save enough energy to get back out again) and he missed a lot of fun with my kids because of that. After a number of years of suggesting he rent, we finally convinced him to rent in Epcot one day. He actually went all over that day and ended the day without pain. It was the first time in many years that I had not seen him end the day with pain pills and ice bags on both knees. He said that he wished he had rented 5 years before.

That was not his last trip; he had 3 more years of trips with us before his sudden death. Each trip was a blessing and I hope you can have a blessed trip.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and perhaps once you've used the scooter, you'll find that you indeed can look forward to more trips because you won't be pushing yourself. I am in a power wheelchair and on a ventilator 24/7. I have my service dog with me- I wouldn't think of giving up my visits to WDW or elsewhere. In fact, I have a 14 night transatlantic cruise booked on the Disney Magic next month. So never lose hope! Mobility aids and supports are out there for all of us to use so that we *can* continue to travel and have fun with our families.---Kathy

oh Kathy, i am so sorry you are going thru all of what you are going thru. i really appreciate your motivation. my girls are young, 6 and 7, so i wanted to go now just in case the future years are worse for me as my condition is degenerative.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and perhaps once you've used the scooter, you'll find that you indeed can look forward to more trips because you won't be pushing yourself. I am in a power wheelchair and on a ventilator 24/7. I have my service dog with me- I wouldn't think of giving up my visits to WDW or elsewhere. In fact, I have a 14 night transatlantic cruise booked on the Disney Magic next month. So never lose hope! Mobility aids and supports are out there for all of us to use so that we *can* continue to travel and have fun with our families.---Kathy

May God bless you! I hope you have a great trip and don't worry what others are thinking, you'll nver see them again, just enjoy your daughters. I hope you will have many more memories to give your girls...always think positive!

including my family.

I am handicapped and going downhill fast, my family knows this. I so pushed going on our upcoming trip even though we so can't afford it and I've saved every penny I could to go on this trip because I think it might be the last time I can do this with my kiddos. It really makes me cry as I want to be "normal" and am not. ME renting a scooter is killing me but reality is I have to have one to get around the park, otherwise, I'll just sit on a bench and wait for my DH and kiddos all day. NO FUN.

Please wish me luck as I really think this may be my last trip to Disney.

Believe me I understand. I will be going in October for my youngest grandchildrens' first trip. I have Parkinsons so I know it will probably be one of my last trips or maybe the last. God bless you and have a wonderful time.

Sue

I have used a scooter in the past, so I know what you mean about not wanting to use it, but needing it. What I like to do is decorate it. I'll bring those large sip ties. And I'll put lights or a plush character on the basket. People tend to look at the decorations and will say nice things. Kids love it. So it takes the stares off of me. Which makes my trip nicer.

I think its wonderful that you are going and I so hope you have a magical time. :grouphug:

i thought about doing that but not sure what to do.

I have used a scooter in the past, so I know what you mean about not wanting to use it, but needing it. What I like to do is decorate it. I'll bring those large sip ties. And I'll put lights or a plush character on the basket. People tend to look at the decorations and will say nice things. Kids love it. So it takes the stares off of me. Which makes my trip nicer.

I think its wonderful that you are going and I so hope you have a magical time. :grouphug:

I hpe you have a wonderful trip. Stare into the eyes of your girls and perhaps the rest of the worlds eyes won't matter. God Bless all of you.

Have a blast. What matters most is you all having a wonderful time as a family, not what people think. My FIL has bad disks basically. His last trip with us was 3 or 4 years ago (we're hoping he can make one more). We rented a scooter for him. He mas MAD!!!.. at first. He admitted at the end that he couldn't have done it w/o the scooter. Met a lot of other people with scooters. His discs got so bad he hasn't been able to go but he's found a new therapy and we're hoping he can go next year.

God bless ya, and who cares what other people think? I have a degenerative disease also, MD, but I'm not to the point where I'm in a wheel chair yet, I just have leg braces. I was also worried about what others would think, and was scared, cause I don't LOOK handicapped, but I am. My main advice, do what's right for YOU. Decorate the scooter!!! My DH painted my leg braces Tigger stripes, and I got SOOOO many complements on them, it was awesome, Tigger himself even signed them!!!!! I don't mind people staring now, since there's a cool story behind it. So who cares. Show your personality, and if people don't like it, don't worry, you'll probably never see them people again, as long as you're doing what's best for you, let them stare!!! As for decorating a scooter, go to the dollar store, get some disney decorations, like streamers, and maybe flags or something. Since you're renting a scooter, you can't do anything permanent. But start at the dollar store, and HAVE FUN!!! :hug:

Prayers for you and your familly

WHO CARES what people say or think (or stare)
THEY will be the ones at the end of the day begging YOU for a ride to the parking lot! :)
and You'll be feeling fine and not worn out because you used a scooter!

The most important thing is to make it the best trip you can for you and your family.

NONE of us know if this will be our last trip to WDW either....

Have a wonderful time!!!

Being "handicapped" is a mental state. Think of a handicapped card player. It is believing that you cannot, or having obstacles that prevent you from doing...... Having a disability means that a body part is disabled- doesn't work. This just means that one door is shut, but another is opened. Can't go in the front door....try the back door! Try thinking of yourself as having to use a different door....you are unable to walk, but you ARE able to drive that scooter, you ARE able to ride some rides and you ARE able to have fun and be with your family. I have seen some able-bodied individuals who were, indeed, handicapped. They were unable to walk, ride, have fun and be with their family because of their attitude (grumpy old things!).....their handicap was a severe lack of Disney happy! I am guessing that you don't suffer from THAT handicap!

Have fun.....don't worry what other people think. Are their thoughts really important? NO! As my husband says....what are the odds of EVER seeing THOSE people again! But, your family's opinion does matter....and they want to remember this trip as the trip in which you were fun to be around. So, let yourself be free to be happy. Besides, being grumpy is just TOO much work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter