Updated with link about trip. Just want to share something I have not told anyone..

Yep, life if funny that way. Sometimes I think God is picking on me too. Not fun. I'm sorry you have skin cancer. I need to be checked for a lot of things as I've let my mammogram pass by, my pap, everything. When we get back I'm going to schedule them. I don't want to hear about anything bad before the trip. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Life has a funny way of getting the best of us sometimes. Just don't let it get you down. I put on alot of weight too...I'm back down to a size 8 from a size 14, but it's been very hard, and very painful. But, just do what you can do, and fooey on everyone else who stares funny. I took it hard at first when I got my leg braces, but now I'm alright, and fighting another battle....Skin Cancer!!! They say God doesn't give you more than you can handle....just really wish he didn't trust me THIS much!!!! I must be stronger than I think I am!!!

Rent the scooter and have fun, I will be taking a scooter with me. It will be the first time I will be using one. I have patalla instibility and RA in both legs. Just got knee braces for both legs. We leave in 19 days and I can't wait. I really don't care what other people think. I want to be able to enjoy this trip. We went in 2006 and 2008. In 2008 my DH had to rent a scooter because of a bad ankle and bad back. He had surgery on both when we got back but still needed a scooter for awhile after surgery, So we bought one. that is the one we will be taking with us. I will have surgery on one knee when we get back. I also have bad hips and have a very hard time walking around for a long time because of that. So glad I'm taking the scooter.

Have fun.

Sylvia in MN

WOW. Yea, I wouldn't want to hear anything bad either!! HAHA I try to keep positive about everything. That helps. Definedly decorate your scooter if you can, after DH painted my braces, I didn't mind people staring. Cause it was a different stare. I'm one of those to where the disability is invisible, but I have underlying issues, so before they were painted, I did get weird looks, and it did bother me. I wanted to say something to the people looking, but I'm not that kind of person. After they were painted, and yes, they do stand out....I was WANTING people to look, cause it was different. They said how cool, and what a great idea, instead of the whispers. There are times I want to tell people to just spend a day in my body, they'll know what I go thru, but they can't. And I know that. Bottom line, just do what YOU need to do, and have a wonderful trip!! Looks like it's coming up soon!!! Oh, and wear LOTS of sunscreen, this florida sun is BRUTAL!!!! Trust me!!!!

you are so funny. i have a strange looking cane, my SIL made me and will have it with me so when i need to get off of the scooter i won't fall. my cane always gets lots of stares :) when i catch someone staring i say "my SIL made it for me" and smile at them. lol.

i rem. going to FL one year after we got married, i was 20 then, so that was 30 years ago, :rotfl: can you believe we went to WDW (that was my first time at WDW) and the heat did not bother us :rotfl: now is a different story as we are older. what can you do about getting older, NOTHING, just keep going like an Everready battery, even when the power is drained :rotfl:

WOW. Yea, I wouldn't want to hear anything bad either!! HAHA I try to keep positive about everything. That helps. Definedly decorate your scooter if you can, after DH painted my braces, I didn't mind people staring. Cause it was a different stare. I'm one of those to where the disability is invisible, but I have underlying issues, so before they were painted, I did get weird looks, and it did bother me. I wanted to say something to the people looking, but I'm not that kind of person. After they were painted, and yes, they do stand out....I was WANTING people to look, cause it was different. They said how cool, and what a great idea, instead of the whispers. There are times I want to tell people to just spend a day in my body, they'll know what I go thru, but they can't. And I know that. Bottom line, just do what YOU need to do, and have a wonderful trip!! Looks like it's coming up soon!!! Oh, and wear LOTS of sunscreen, this florida sun is BRUTAL!!!! Trust me!!!!

They say God doesn't give you more than you can handle....just really wish he didn't trust me THIS much!!!! I must be stronger than I think I am!!!

And He is insistant. Was one of those people who cannot say 'no'. Had warning stress headaches to slow down. When that didn't work, had a stroke. That slowed me down.;)

Now see, I'm a firm believer that you should express your personality, unless of course it's offensive!! :lmao: Here's a picture of my braces, Tigger signed them while we were over there in June.

newpuppy010.jpg

Yes, this FL heat is brutal. I've been here most of my life, which is probably the skin cancer problem LOL But, I don't regret a thing in life. As long as you have a positive attitude, anything is possible!!!

even though it gets really hot there, i would not mind the warmer winters :) the cold weather kills me during the winter up North.

i love your braces!!!!

take a look at this video, it is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc4HGQHgeFE&feature=player_embedded

Now see, I'm a firm believer that you should express your personality, unless of course it's offensive!! :lmao: Here's a picture of my braces, Tigger signed them while we were over there in June.

newpuppy010.jpg

Yes, this FL heat is brutal. I've been here most of my life, which is probably the skin cancer problem LOL But, I don't regret a thing in life. As long as you have a positive attitude, anything is possible!!!

i am renting a scooter, renting it off-site. i guess i am just worried about people making fun of me on it. i know i need to get over this and just have fun. i have 3 weeks and 4 days until we go so i have to get over it fast :) lol
The first time I rented an ECV, I had a rude awakening. There are a few insensitive folks out there. We'd find a good spot for the fireworks, only to have someone slip in at the last minute and stand right in front of me..usually with a child on their shoulders!:eek: I' ve even had someone rant because they had to move from the handicapped parade area for me and my family. They had no one that needed the space and the area was full, but "they were there first and it wasn't fair".:confused3 Some people are just ignorant, don't let them bother you.:hug:

Instead of looking at yourself as limited by needing a mobility device, try to look at it as a positive for all that you will be able to do that you wouldn't have been able to without the chair.
Exactly!! Somedays, I do not need to rely on a scooter, but other days I do. It gives me the ability to enjoy WDW without pain and exhaustion..for that I'm very grateful.

I so know about the insensitive people out there. Guess what I am going to do STARE BACK AT THEM :banana: and then I'll see what kind of a response I get. Normally, when one does that the person will look away. Also, if someone stands in front of me I will ask/tell them to move.

I'm going to have fun just like a dancing banana :) :banana:

The first time I rented an ECV, I had a rude awakening. There are a few insensitive folks out there. We'd find a good spot for the fireworks, only to have someone slip in at the last minute and stand right in front of me..usually with a child on their shoulders!:eek: I' ve even had someone rant because they had to move from the handicapped parade area for me and my family. They had no one that needed the space and the area was full, but "they were there first and it wasn't fair".:confused3 Some people are just ignorant, don't let them bother you.:hug:

Exactly!! Somedays, I do not need to rely on a scooter, but other days I do. It gives me the ability to enjoy WDW without pain and exhaustion..for that I'm very grateful.

That is a great video. I will share it with my kids.

Get the scooter or chair. I wish my mom would rent one. She has knee problems and is in pain but she just will not use a scooter. She would have a much better time with an ECV but she just refuses.

Later,
Dan

I so know about the insensitive people out there. Guess what I am going to do STARE BACK AT THEM :banana: and then I'll see what kind of a response I get. Normally, when one does that the person will look away. Also, if someone stands in front of me I will ask/tell them to move.

I'm going to have fun just like a dancing banana :) :banana:

There ya go!!! That's an awesome idea. I'm quiet and shy, so I don't try to stare at people too long, or give dirty looks. If someone is in a wheelchair, I'll smile at them, just to let them know I'm not one of the insensitive people in the world. There are lots of rude people stories with people in ECV, probably cause they don't understand. We have the rare sight of understanding.....maybe that is better, who knows. Anyways, enjoy your time, not too much longer!!! I got one month from tomorrow!!!

I'm still working on my brain saying to myself "I need it so use it!". It is not an easy thing to accept. Just keep talking to your mom. Tell her your friend on the board said to use one :)

That is a great video. I will share it with my kids.

Get the scooter or chair. I wish my mom would rent one. She has knee problems and is in pain but she just will not use a scooter. She would have a much better time with an ECV but she just refuses.

Later,
Dan

i'll prob. just say "Hi how are you doing on this bright sun shiny day?" Sometimes, that will embarrass them enough for staring. lol.

Hey, maybe I should put a :banana: on my scooter so that all the DIS friends know it's me. lol.

There ya go!!! That's an awesome idea. I'm quiet and shy, so I don't try to stare at people too long, or give dirty looks. If someone is in a wheelchair, I'll smile at them, just to let them know I'm not one of the insensitive people in the world. There are lots of rude people stories with people in ECV, probably cause they don't understand. We have the rare sight of understanding.....maybe that is better, who knows. Anyways, enjoy your time, not too much longer!!! I got one month from tomorrow!!!

There ya go!!!! That sounds like a plan!!! Do they make banana bobble heads? That would be good to go on the back!!! LOL

I happy you are going, take it easy and enjoy every moment of it. Please let us know how everything went. We are all here for you.:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter