US to lift travel ban for foreign air travellers who show proof of vaccination

We are supposed to cruise on the Fantasy next Aug. Both DH and I are AZ-Pfizer with an 8 wk interval. We’re just done. Can I assume correctly that we can enter Europe with mixed dose? We’ll head back to DLP and visit family in Belgium if that’s the case - we can rent out our DVC, but I think it’s time to sell. Lots of places in the world to see that follow actual science.
It would seem that the answer is yes 🙌🏻

https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries-that-have-reopened-for-canadian-tourists/
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/ne...ountries-accept-mixed-covid-19-vaccine-doses/

We are supposed to cruise on the Fantasy next Aug. Both DH and I are AZ-Pfizer with an 8 wk interval. We’re just done. Can I assume correctly that we can enter Europe with mixed dose? We’ll head back to DLP and visit family in Belgium if that’s the case - we can rent out our DVC, but I think it’s time to sell. Lots of places in the world to see that follow actual science.
This is a really good point. I do want to get back to WDW, but why am I trying so hard to go to a place that isn’t following the data on mixed doses? It’s like me continuing to run after a boyfriend who doesn’t want me. I’ve just finished renting out a second year’s worth of dvc points. I’m hoping for a 50th birthday trip with my friends in October 2022, but who knows if that will happen? I do think selling is on the horizon.

This is a really good point. I do want to get back to WDW, but why am I trying so hard to go to a place that isn’t following the data on mixed doses? It’s like me continuing to run after a boyfriend who doesn’t want me. I’ve just finished renting out a second year’s worth of dvc points. I’m hoping for a 50th birthday trip with my friends in October 2022, but who knows if that will happen? I do think selling is on the horizon.
It’s just too hard for a vacation- something that’s supposed to help you destress & relax. We had a blast in Europe in 2018 - a kind of quick paced sampling of different spots. We’re ready to return and focus on one or two destinations 👍🏻 Cost-wise a WDW or Europe vacation is a wash if we rent our DVC to cover dues - I’m checking RCI destinations first as that might be of interest to us if they have larger accommodations (family of 5 and European hotels don’t go well together :scared:

It’s just too hard for a vacation- something that’s supposed to help you destress & relax. We had a blast in Europe in 2018 - a kind of quick paced sampling of different spots. We’re ready to return and focus on one or two destinations 👍🏻 Cost-wise a WDW or Europe vacation is a wash if we rent our DVC to cover dues - I’m checking RCI destinations first as that might be of interest to us if they have larger accommodations (family of 5 and European hotels don’t go well together :scared:
Let me know if you have any luck with rci. I’ve looked into it too and find the accommodations leave something to be desired.

My dad is AZ/Moderna… he happened to be out visiting my sister in AB so opted to get a 3rd dose of Moderna while there so he can travel without worry.

My DH and I just canceled our 10 year anniversary trip to Turks and Caicos. The island itself is actually quite safe - low case counts and the need to be vaccinated to get there in the first place. But the testing requirements on both ends were onerous. On the way there, it would have involved trying to get a test on Christmas Day .. Seemed like too much stress for what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation.

I am still holding out hope for WDW March 2022…if that doesn’t happen I think we will use our DVC points for Aulani in the summertime.

My dad is AZ/Moderna… he happened to be out visiting my sister in AB so opted to get a 3rd dose of Moderna while there so he can travel without worry.

My DH and I just canceled our 10 year anniversary trip to Turks and Caicos. The island itself is actually quite safe - low case counts and the need to be vaccinated to get there in the first place. But the testing requirements on both ends were onerous. On the way there, it would have involved trying to get a test on Christmas Day .. Seemed like too much stress for what was supposed to be a relaxing vacation.

I am still holding out hope for WDW March 2022…if that doesn’t happen I think we will use our DVC points for Aulani in the summertime.
In regards to the bolded: Do other provinces not mind giving third doses to out of province individuals? Heading one province over doesn’t seem to tough. Hop in the car—five hours later, I’m there.

I totally get your feeling. We took our kids once or even twice a year since 2008 to Disney . It’s some of our happiest family memories and we never pictured a time when we wouldn’t go back.

Now my kids are 24 and 17 and it’s almost impossible to get all of our schedules to match up to travel. Ds17 will go to university next year and then we are empty nesters. I think that is at the crux of the issue. Everything is changing for me and I just keep hammering at this idea that we can all go to Disney again. But maybe too much has changed. It’s not like my kids don’t want to vacation with us. If we pay they will be there 😂. I actually asked ds if he would want to do a cruise on his school break next year and his response was “is that even a question ? Why wouldn’t I?”.

With the points I have rented and the tickets that are paid for I really would take a big loss to not go at all so I will keep watching but I wonder if it will be our last trip .

In regards to the bolded: Do other provinces not mind giving third doses to out of province individuals? Heading one province over doesn’t seem to tough. Hop in the car—five hours later, I’m there.
We are only an hour away from Quebec but they aren’t allowing non residents to get a 3rd dose. I will ask him more his process in Alberta, but from the sounds of it , it was hassle free. Getting a 3rd dose wasn’t the purpose of his visit to AB so if they would have told him no he wouldn’t have been put out.

I don’t think any of the provincial systems are linked, so they don't know if it is a first, second or third dose. Unless you tell them so. But of course some provinces do ask you to be vaccinated before you travel there, or ask for address details before a third dose.

I have also been looking at Europe but we have flights booked to Orlando, and many cruises booked over the next two/three years. I am not sure how we would move all of that. I keep hoping the CDC will review things.

I finally got a reply from the Ontario Minister of Health:

Thank you for your email to the Honourable Christine Elliott, Minster of Health, regarding third doses for travel.

All the vaccines approved by Health Canada are safe and of excellent quality, and will reduce the risk of infection, hospitalization and death. Ontarians who received two doses of any vaccine offered in the province are considered to be fully immunized and have strong protection against COVID-19 infection and severe outcomes, including against the Delta variant.

The Ontario government has no plans to offer a new vaccine series to individuals requesting an alternate vaccine for travel-related purposes; however, we will continue to monitor other countries’ vaccination requirements for international travellers and will revisit this decision, if necessary.

Many countries are currently developing their own travel related approaches. Each country will decide which vaccines and combinations meet their entry requirements. The province is working with the federal, provincial and territorial leaders to ensure we have a consistent approach to how Canada reopens the border safely.

As the federal government opens international travel, the Ontario government is advocating for the federal government to ensure that all fully vaccinated Ontarians will be able to travel internationally.

The Ontario government has asked the Government of Canada to:
  • Work with jurisdictions such as the United States, the European Union, and others to consider Ontarians who received two doses of any vaccine schedule offered in the province as ‘fully immunized,’ both at international borders and in their activities within those jurisdictions

• Work with the World Health Organization (WHO) to update its guidance to international partners that mixing vaccines should be internationally accepted as a complete vaccine regimen
This includes both AstraZeneca and AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, as well as a mix of any two Health Canada-approved vaccines.
The province is working with the federal government, who is leading efforts to implement a vaccine credential to support international travel. More information on vaccine credentials for international travel will be available in the coming months.
We encourage you to contact the Government of Canada to ensure they are aware of your suggestions and are able to take them into consideration as they continue to plan and implement a strategy on immunization credentials for Canadians.

Sincerely,
Correspondence and Corporate Support
Ministry of Health
Correspondance et soutien ministériel
Ministère de la Santé

I am disappointed in Ontario's approach. We heeded their advice and took the first vaccine offered to us. Now we are being punished, in my opinion.
I spoke to my MPP about the situation. She said that Ontario is not going to fight this policy with a third vaccine but rather they'll fight to get the policy changed (re not acknowledging mixed doses).

just a quick reminder to everyone about the guidelines regarding opinions and political comments over anything COVID-19 related. This is an important thread to keep open and it's teetering close to the lines of getting either locked or having people getting blocked from posting at all.

example, it seems it's acceptable to discuss the possibility of going elsewhere to get a 3rd shot but to add comments about how you feel regarding that aren't.

Last edited:
I am disappointed in Ontario's approach. We heeded their advice and took the first vaccine offered to us. Now we are being punished, in my opinion.
I spoke to my MPP about the situation. She said that Ontario is not going to fight this policy with a third vaccine but rather they'll fight to get the policy changed (re not acknowledging mixed doses).
So in other words we’re out of luck 😑

I can't even travel out of Country this year due to job restrictions .:sad2:
I have to admit the thought of crashing in some of my DVC contracts has crossed my mind. At the beginning of the Pandemic I
sold off a small OKW contract.

Now if I take that Early retirement at the end of this year I can go when I want, however I hope by then the whole vaccine (mix and match) is settled.:flower1:

Hugs
Mel

I can't even travel out of Country this year due to job restrictions .:sad2:
I have to admit the thought of crashing in some of my DVC contracts has crossed my mind. At the beginning of the Pandemic I
sold off a small OKW contract.

Now if I take that Early retirement at the end of this year I can go when I want, however I hope by then the whole vaccine (mix and match) is settled.:flower1:

Hugs
Mel
Same here. I’m putting in for a 3.5 over 4 soon though so :yay: Early retirement sounds heavenly 😍

I thought I would share an experience I had with a friend. She had recently told me that she will be going to another province to get the third dose if she had to, she has a trip planned in November.

Just as a background, I do believe it's a product of the supply issue mess. At the time it was announced that we are eligible to get the AZ from the pharmacies, she, as I did, signed up with Shoppers and Rexall locations. I called a couple to see if they had any availability and one location asked if I was an essential worker or health condition etc...I said no. I was put in some waitlist and just left it at that.

She seemed very concerned that the supply would run out. I mentioned to her that they may be prioritizing essential workers (since in our health unit, they weren't eligible yet). A few days after the announcement, she called me and insisted I go with her and others to a pharmacy she found in another Health Unit. I declined since she was going to one that was in the middle of a hotspot and I assume the extra doses were for the people in the area. Our area had few cases.

I found out later that she was frantically searching for doses because she became quite desperate. I think she's the extreme case.

Soon after, there was an announcement that we were going to be eligible for the mRNA through the clinics. We still hadn't heard from any of the pharmacies. My husband mentioned that his coworker drove 1.5 hrs to get his first dose. It was just surreal.

I hadn't spoken with my friend until a couple of days ago when she told me she's going to another province to get her third dose. I just felt so exhausted for her.

Sorry this is long-winded, but I thought I would share this.

I can understand how frustrating it is for those who got mixed dose. Although I'm sure most weren't as frantic and desperate as my friend was, it's still very upsetting.

It's quite disappointing when you're told you can get AZ, then later told not to get AZ for the second dose, then told it's okay to get a mixed dose, then now told you may not be able to travel because of it.

I didn't tell my friend that we received our first dose about a week after hers because I know she would have completely lost it.

I do think that they will eventually work with US to allow mixed doses. Unfortunately, I think the US doesn't see this as a priority right now.

I thought I would share an experience I had with a friend. She had recently told me that she will be going to another province to get the third dose if she had to, she has a trip planned in November.

Just as a background, I do believe it's a product of the supply issue mess. At the time it was announced that we are eligible to get the AZ from the pharmacies, she, as I did, signed up with Shoppers and Rexall locations. I called a couple to see if they had any availability and one location asked if I was an essential worker or health condition etc...I said no. I was put in some waitlist and just left it at that.

She seemed very concerned that the supply would run out. I mentioned to her that they may be prioritizing essential workers (since in our health unit, they weren't eligible yet). A few days after the announcement, she called me and insisted I go with her and others to a pharmacy she found in another Health Unit. I declined since she was going to one that was in the middle of a hotspot and I assume the extra doses were for the people in the area. Our area had few cases.

I found out later that she was frantically searching for doses because she became quite desperate. I think she's the extreme case.

Soon after, there was an announcement that we were going to be eligible for the mRNA through the clinics. We still hadn't heard from any of the pharmacies. My husband mentioned that his coworker drove 1.5 hrs to get his first dose. It was just surreal.

I hadn't spoken with my friend until a couple of days ago when she told me she's going to another province to get her third dose. I just felt so exhausted for her.

Sorry this is long-winded, but I thought I would share this.

I can understand how frustrating it is for those who got mixed dose. Although I'm sure most weren't as frantic and desperate as my friend was, it's still very upsetting.

It's quite disappointing when you're told you can get AZ, then later told not to get AZ for the second dose, then told it's okay to get a mixed dose, then now told you may not be able to travel because of it.

I didn't tell my friend that we received our first dose about a week after hers because I know she would have completely lost it.

I do think that they will eventually work with US to allow mixed doses. Unfortunately, I think the US doesn't see this as a priority right now.
Most of us were not desperate- we were told to get the first dose available. Expiring doses needed to be used to free up mrna doses for those who couldn’t take AZ after they restricted the age to 65+ then 40+ or whichever age (I don’t recall). Some of us in education had no assurances of any dose, no prioritization by the government and no idea if in person schooling would resume 🤷🏼‍♀️

Here in AB (yeah, that place...don't get me started, lol!), our local pharmacist told DW on Friday that if you had the AZ vaccine, you would be allowed a course of two MRna shots, for a complete re-do. It was news to DW's doctor too. We're going in tomorrow to get the first of the two. I'll see how it goes.

Here in AB (yeah, that place...don't get me started, lol!), our local pharmacist told DW on Friday that if you had the AZ vaccine, you would be allowed a course of two MRna shots, for a complete re-do. It was news to DW's doctor too. We're going in tomorrow to get the first of the two. I'll see how it goes.
That’s what I read months ago about how things would be handled across the country.

I wonder if they will have a problem with a 4 month interval instead of 28 days, hopefully not

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter