Using a brought from home security lock?

Robn752

Mouseketeer
Do you guys think Disny would have a problem with us bringing our own security lock? Is it illegal to use your own bought for hotel room security lock or bar? With this new security check policy would feel better when alone to put one on.

Do you guys think Disny would have a problem with us bringing our own security lock?
Yes.

Is it illegal to use your own bought for hotel room security lock or bar?
Doesn't need to be illegal. As the property owner, Disney can say you can't, and they have the legal right to say so independent of it being "illegal" under Florida code.

Expect that if you do use one, Disney will either break in, or ask you not to use it in the future, and if you repeat ask you to leave.

if you're in your room, you can put the built in latch on...that keeps people out..

is that what you're referring to? keeping people out when you're inside?

Do you guys think Disny would have a problem with us bringing our own security lock? Is it illegal to use your own bought for hotel room security lock or bar? With this new security check policy would feel better when alone to put one on.
It may be against Disney's policy. Asking about it would tell you, for sure.

But what if you use something? If they try to force their way in, which they haven't done, to date, you would stop them.

They would then tell you to not use it. And you would then know their policy.

Unless they try to force their way in, which they haven't done, to date, they won't know you are using something.

Unless it is specifically stated as being against the rules it should be fine. So far there is no policy that has come out that would prohibit these supplemental locking devices.

Nothing that I've seen would suggest that Disney would have a problem with you using additional door locks. You would still have to submit to a room inspection upon demand. Disney has not forced the door bar open as far as we know from recent reports but they ARE bypassing the deadbolt locking mechanism and coming in with the room occupied sign on the door and people in the room:

Room Check Experience at POFQ week of January 8.

I was sick (very :mad:) the first two days of the trip. Spent days in room sleeping with room occupied sign posted. First day there was a knock about 3pm, and someone saying something outside door. Figured it was housekeeping so I ignored it. Then the someone at the door unlocked it and walked in. Needless to say it caught me off guard and freaked me out (nothing had been mentioned at check in about a this new protocol.)

The Disney staffer (dressed in regular Port Orleans garb) handed me an 'official' looking card explaining the room check procedure and then he explained it as well. Struck me as odd, but I was half out of it, and he left. Second day same thing, knock at door, this time I opened it. Room check guy. I asked WHY they were doing this. He said:

'Ever since shooting in Las Vegas we are required to check every room on property everyday.' The room check amounted to a 5 second look around. If I hadn't been sick I never would have known, I would have been in the parks.

(The new 'Room Occupied' signs have fine print that basically says 'we can enter your room anytime, even if this sign is posted.')

Popping the door bar is a simple effort and can easily be accomplished using a sturdy sheet of paper. (google it for yourself and see the videos). If supplementing the door locks with your own mechanism makes you feel more secure then by all means use one. There are no written rules or official policies from Disney prohibiting them that I am aware of.

Just remember that you will have to open the door for anyone who knocks and demands entry for a room inspection. I recommend looking through the peep hole or window and asking for proper identification before opening the door. It is also reasonable to record the person doing the room inspection on your cell phone so that you have a record of this person's identification. It's the smart thing to do in case the person demanding entry is not who they say they are. That possibility is slim but it exists and is of heightened concern now that guests are REQUIRED to open the door and let in people demanding room inspections.

Trust but verify.

~NM

This doesn't sound like a good idea at all.
I actually own a security device that I have used at various hotels.

It makes it very difficult if not impossible to open the door from the outside.

I used to use it when I traveled with my son. He was young, and we would spend the night in a hotel along the way to visit my parents. It was normally somewhere in VA.

I would set it up when we were in for the night.

I haven't used it in years. My son is 22, my parents are gone and I no longer travel alone. But I did use it. And no one was the wiser.

I actually own a security device that I have used at various hotels.

It makes it very difficult if not impossible to open the door from the outside.

I used to use it when I traveled with my son. He was young, and we would spend the night in a hotel along the way to visit my parents. It was normally somewhere in VA.

I would set it up when we were in for the night.

I haven't used it in years. My son is 22, my parents are gone and I no longer travel alone. But I did use it. And no one was the wiser.

But I doubt the resorts you used it at were doing daily room checks.

I would think that as long as you are quick to remove any device you would be fine. And as long as it didn't mar the walls or door. But you do need to be able to take it off in a jiffy, and it wouldn't be smart to have it on if you were in the shower or someplace that would keep you from quickly taking it off.

I'm not sure why you think a device is necessary, if all that you are worried about are the room checks. Use the extra latch, and that will keep them from coming in until you let them in. There have been no reports of CMs disabling the extra latch to enter rooms.

I would think that as long as you are quick to remove any device you would be fine. And as long as it didn't mar the walls or door. But you do need to be able to take it off in a jiffy, and it wouldn't be smart to have it on if you were in the shower or someplace that would keep you from quickly taking it off.

I'm not sure why you think a device is necessary, if all that you are worried about are the room checks. Use the extra latch, and that will keep them from coming in until you let them in. There have been no reports of CMs disabling the extra latch to enter rooms.
I didn't indicate in any way that I would need or even want a device.

I simply said that I own one and have used it over night, while I am sleeping, at other hotels, not other resorts.

No reports of CMs doing it, until they actually start doing it because people do not answer the door quick enough. From reading personal experiences on these boards it is obvious CMs are approaching this rule in different ways. It appears Disney's policy is allowing CMs to freestyle with the room checks.

I didn't indicate in any way that I would need or even want a device.

I simply said that I own one and have used it over night, while I am sleeping, at other hotels, not other resorts.

Part of that was intended for the OP. If the only reason for using such a devise is to prevent a CM from barging in, using the latch will stop that.

No reports of CMs doing it, until they actually start doing it because people do not answer the door quick enough. From reading personal experiences on these boards it is obvious CMs are approaching this rule in different ways. It appears Disney's policy is allowing CMs to freestyle with the room checks.

If I panicked over every single thing that could happen I wouldn't leave the house.

Not to mention, if that starts to happen, then using another sort of bar or devise will only bring more unwanted attention. They will think you are trying to hide something.

It is most definitely not ok. It is the hotel's room, not yours. You are only renting it temporarily. You cannot block the hotel's lawful right to access the room as required. This has been done rarely in our hotel but people are told to stop doing it if found and asked to leave if a repeat. And oh yeah, the suspicion level goes way high.

There was a suggestion that if it's not specifically stated it's ok. Nope, not everything in this world can be specifically stated and the hotel owner can make rules as required without notice as long as there is nothing illegal about the rule.

I don't know of any specific rule against adding another locking device to a door at a Disney resort. It's possible there's some verbiage to that effect in the fine print of the reservation agreement, but I haven't looked at those documents recently.

However..if housekeeping tries to enter your room to clean and finds the door is blocked with some kind of device, that's probably going to arouse suspicions and guarantee an immediate visit from security, who will insist that you open the door. In other words, just the kind of intrusion you were trying to avoid in the first place. Personally, I think it's easier to just use the door bar, and if they come to clean or do a check when someone's napping or indisposed, explain the situation and ask them to come back later. Maybe they'll insist they have to come in at that time, maybe they'll be flexible and come back later.

The bottom line is, the resort has a right to have staff enter your room when they see fit. We all hope that they'll do that as little as possible, and in as courteous and non-intrusive a way as they can. Obviously, the kinks are still being worked out, and it hasn't always been done in a guest-friendly manner. But ultimately, you can't physically prevent entry to your room by the staff. Even if you have one of those locking devices on the door, you're going to have to remove it when they tell you to, or it won't just be resort security at your door, it may be the local police.

If it's just that you don't want to be surprised by someone walking in, using the door bar will take care of that. If you want the additional locking device because that you fear that a CM may force their way into the room and harm you, then I would suggest not staying at a Disney resort. As far as I know, the Swan & Dolphin, Disney Springs Hotels, Bonnet Creek and Four Seasons are not doing daily room checks, still have do not disturb signs, and allow you to decline housekeeping during your stay, and they're all either on property or as close as it's possible to get.

I'm not saying this to be snarky, and it's not meant as "tough, if you don't like it, stay somewhere else." We all weigh our personal pros and cons when choosing a hotel. If a hotel policy causes you worry and anxiety, it's perfectly reasonable to choose a hotel that doesn't have that policy. WDW vacations are expensive, and you should absolutely stay where you feel comfortable, safe and relaxed.

Curious about all of this.... even AMAZON sells a product for Hotel door security.

If one can use such a product at every OTHER Hotel? What makes WDW different?

Just askin :).

How many hotels do daily room checks?

I honestly think it is ok as long as you can quickly remove it when they want to come in your room. And are willing to pay for any damage it may cause.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter