Using a brought from home security lock?

Curious about all of this.... even AMAZON sells a product for Hotel door security.

If one can use such a product at every OTHER Hotel? What makes WDW different?

Just askin :).

Amazon sells selfie sticks. They're outlawed in Disney.

Disney makes their own rules and enforces them how they want.

I'm sure there are better ways to check guests and rooms for firearms and such, however, those ways haven't been thought of yet and the current system is the best "knee jerk" reaction that someone in a suit thought of, got votes for and implemented.

Curious about all of this.... even AMAZON sells a product for Hotel door security.

If one can use such a product at every OTHER Hotel? What makes WDW different?

Just askin :).

It's up to each individual hotel to decide what their policies are, Amazon just sells the thing. It's not against the law to purchase, sell or use one.

I don't think Disney would know or care if you use one of these devices to make you feel safer - unless you're using it to prevent their staff from entering your room. If you had it on the door and took it off when housekeeping or security asked to enter, I don't think it would be an issue at all. Assuming I understood the OP's post, she specifically wanted to use a locking device to prevent hotel staff from entering her room for a security check.

But I doubt the resorts you used it at were doing daily room checks.

I would think that as long as you are quick to remove any device you would be fine. And as long as it didn't mar the walls or door. But you do need to be able to take it off in a jiffy, and it wouldn't be smart to have it on if you were in the shower or someplace that would keep you from quickly taking it off.

I'm not sure why you think a device is necessary, if all that you are worried about are the room checks. Use the extra latch, and that will keep them from coming in until you let them in. There have been no reports of CMs disabling the extra latch to enter rooms.

The only time I would want to have extra security is in the shower. That continues to be my biggest fear, that someone will come in when I am in the shower. I wear modest pajamas, so I wouldn’t mind if they had to come in while I was wearing them (would prefer they didn’t, but would let them in if asked). Obviously I wouldn’t mind once I have dressed after the shower. Putting the latch on the door still allows them to look in a small opening. It doesn’t matter if the door is open a half inch or wide open if I’m not decent. I did keep a bathrobe on the hook in the bathroom so I could reach it quickly if I needed to. But what if they just open the bathroom door while the shower is on? It’s not like you can wrap up in a glass door like you could in a shower curtain, lol!

I didn’t consider getting a supplemental lock, but I did think about one of those motion activated alarms that you just hang on the doorknob and if the door moves it goes off. I might hear that over the sound of the shower even if I couldn’t hear a voice, and there would be no damage and it wouldn’t restrict their entry. Seems like overkill when all I need is 30-45 minutes per day where I won’t be disturbed.

I think if I were very concerned about somebody getting into my room, I’d just bring a wedge/door jam. I wouldn’t want to bring that Amazon device on a plane.

That said, I wouldn’t want to jam my door closed. What if there’s a situation where somebody needs to enter the room in a hurry, like fire or a medical emergency?

I think if I were very concerned about somebody getting into my room, I’d just bring a wedge/door jam. I wouldn’t want to bring that Amazon device on a plane.
Depending on the minimum size, it might fit in checked luggage diagonally.
That said, I wouldn’t want to jam my door closed. What if there’s a situation where somebody needs to enter the room in a hurry, like fire or a medical emergency?
Break a window.

Depending on the minimum size, it might fit in checked luggage diagonally.

Break a window.

When seconds matter, it takes time to break a plate glass window, not to mention the potential for injury. There are risks on all sides. Management spending time and effort to enter my room ICE worries me almost as much as possibly pseudo security guards entering.

Last edited:
When seconds matter, it takes time to break a plate glass window, not to mention the potential for injury. There are risks on all sides. Management spending time and effort to enter my room ICE worries me almost as much as possibly pseudo security guards entering.
It takes less time to break a window in an emergency than to try to force open a door secured with the pictured (or similar) item.

This is similar to another thread a few weeks ago. IMO if you are seriously this concerned about your safety in a hotel room let alone Disney you should probably reevaluate whether or not you should go.
Devices like this have been available for years. They're marketed because people want more assurance of security anywhere - hotel, home, form, bedroom...

It takes less time to break a window in an emergency than to try to force open a door secured with the pictured (or similar) item.

Not sure how you could know that, but it has nothing to do with my point—which is that it’s going to take more time to get into your room in an emergency if you use any kind of security device.

People need to consider which risk they fear more—a security check, or jamming the door and potentially slowing down an emergency response.

Not sure how you could know that, but it has nothing to do with my point—which is that it’s going to take more time to get into your room in an emergency if you use any kind of security device.
Common sense. Break a(n adjacent) window with anything handy vs find and employ a battering ram.
People need to consider which risk they fear more—a security check, or jamming the door and potentially slowing down an emergency response.
These devices have been around for decades, if not longer, as has propping a chair under the doorknob. When a property is checking every room every day, the device would be used to delay such entry over the miniscule chance of an emergency.

I haven't got the slightest idea why these issues are being referred to as 'fear'.

if you're in your room, you can put the built in latch on...that keeps people out..

Use the extra latch, and that will keep them from coming in

If the only reason for using such a devise is to prevent a CM from barging in, using the latch will stop that.

If it's just that you don't want to be surprised by someone walking in, using the door bar will take care of that.

Why not just use the door latch?

This. The door latch is simple to use and it works.

OK, for all of you who believe that the latch is a security device to prevent someone from entering your room, I have some shocking news... IT'S NOT!

A child can use a piece of paper to open from the outside in about 10 seconds. A practiced thief, 2 seconds. Hotel staff have a tool that allows them to open it from the outside.upload_2018-2-13_12-44-37.png

The purpose of the latch is to allow you to open the door partially and have a conversation safely or pass small objects through.

Common sense. Break a(n adjacent) window with anything handy vs find and employ a battering ram.

These devices have been around for decades, if not longer, as has propping a chair under the doorknob. When a property is checking every room every day, the device would be used to delay such entry over the miniscule chance of an emergency.

I haven't got the slightest idea why these issues are being referred to as 'fear'.
I don’t call it fear as much as paranoia over a remote perceived threat.

OK, for all of you who believe that the latch is a security device to prevent someone from entering your room, I have some shocking news... IT'S NOT!

A child can use a piece of paper to open from the outside in about 10 seconds. A practiced thief, 2 seconds. Hotel staff have a tool that allows them to open it from the outside.View attachment 302287

The purpose of the latch is to allow you to open the door partially and have a conversation safely or pass small objects through.

OP specifically asked about using a device because of WDW's new security check policy - in other words, to, literally, bar CM's from entering their room. If OP's intent is to DELAY entry with the bar, there is no need to bring one as the latch serves that purpose. If OP is looking to bar entry altogether, I would wager a BIG bet, that will not end well for OP. WDW staff has every right to enter the hotel rooms and WDW specifically states that right in their booking terms and conditions.

Yes, the latch WILL temporarily bar someone from entering your room. It gives you a chance to compose yourself, get to the door and allow the CM to enter. If you do not allow entry, of course, the CM's have every right to open the latch.

If OP's goal is to completely prevent CM's from entering the room, it is not going to go well. As you note, the purpose of the latch is to allow the guest to "open the door partially and have a conversation safely". You then either need to let the CM in or, if the CM goes away temporarily, allow them entry at another time soon after.

These are the current terms and conditions of a WDW resort stay:

Please be advised that notwithstanding your use of a sign on your door, a request by you to forego housekeeping services or any other request made by you, the hotel and its staff reserve the right to enter your room for any purposes including, but not limited to, performing maintenance and repairs or checking on the safety and security of guests and property. The hotel staff will give reasonable notice prior to entry by knocking and announcing the intent to enter the room.

Again, the latch will do the trick to give you time to delay entry of the CM. That is all that any of us are within our rights to do.

OP specifically asked about using a device because of WDW's new security check policy - in other words, to, literally, bar CM's from entering their room. If OP's intent is to DELAY entry with the bar, there is no need to bring one as the latch serves that purpose. If OP is looking to bar entry altogether, I would wager a BIG bet, that will not end well for OP. WDW staff has every right to enter the hotel rooms and WDW specifically states that right in their booking terms and conditions.

Yes, the latch WILL temporarily bar someone from entering your room. It gives you a chance to compose yourself, get to the door and allow the CM to enter. If you do not allow entry, of course, the CM's have every right to open the latch.

If OP's goal is to completely prevent CM's from entering the room, it is not going to go well. As you note, the purpose of the latch is to allow the guest to "open the door partially and have a conversation safely". You then either need to let the CM in or, if the CM goes away temporarily, allow them entry at another time soon after.

These are the current terms and conditions of a WDW resort stay:

Please be advised that notwithstanding your use of a sign on your door, a request by you to forego housekeeping services or any other request made by you, the hotel and its staff reserve the right to enter your room for any purposes including, but not limited to, performing maintenance and repairs or checking on the safety and security of guests and property. The hotel staff will give reasonable notice prior to entry by knocking and announcing the intent to enter the room.

Again, the latch will do the trick to give you time to delay entry of the CM. That is all that any of us are within our rights to do.
I was not commenting on the OP's desired use of the bar. I was commenting on people believing that the latch will keep all out. And that latch gives you precious few seconds, if that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter