Using a brought from home security lock?

I would also be concerned that in the event of an emergency, IF you have to go the window breaking route because you brought a device that prevented the door from being opened, that you would then be liable for the damages and cleanup associated with the window break. I know that's a stretch, but I would consider all possible consequences to you bringing that device. Personally would I bring one? Absolutely not. I want a drama free vacation when I go to Disney, and unnecessarily arousing suspicion as to why I have that device would not be on my itinerary.

I don’t call it fear as much as paranoia over a remote perceived threat.
This. So much this. I mean, look at all of the potential risks one takes in everyday life - driving on the highways, eating out at restaurants, staying at other hotels, attending high profile crowded events, etc. I mean, there exists the threat of drones spying on you through your bedroom windows, someone pouring bleach in the water at a restaurant, killer bees attacking you, etc. Could these events happen? Absolutely, plenty of lunatics out there (not speaking on behalf of the bees, however). But will they happen? Not likely.

Common sense. Break a(n adjacent) window with anything handy vs find and employ a battering ram.

Really? So you’ve timed how long it takes to smash a window with a battering ram? I would think that they might try a less messy way of breaking the glass since they wouldn’t want to spray the people inside with shards of glass.

These devices have been around for decades, if not longer, as has propping a chair under the doorknob. When a property is checking every room every day, the device would be used to delay such entry over the miniscule chance of an emergency.

I did say that one could use a wedge under the door. And if the odds are “minuscule” that you and your family could have a medical emergency, consider yourself blessed. :) Some folks have medical issues that increase the odds of an emergency happening.

I haven't got the slightest idea why these issues are being referred to as 'fear'.

You would need to read through some threads on this topic to figure out what fears people have about strangers barging into their rooms.

Personally, I am more concerned about a medical emergency, but that is due to living with a cancer patient for the past couple years. We’ve had a few bad scares, and I’m not locking up my house like it’s Fort Knox in case paramedics need to enter quickly.

This. So much this. I mean, look at all of the potential risks one takes in everyday life - driving on the highways, eating out at restaurants, staying at other hotels, attending high profile crowded events, etc. I mean, there exists the threat of drones spying on you through your bedroom windows, someone pouring bleach in the water at a restaurant, killer bees attacking you, etc. Could these events happen? Absolutely, plenty of lunatics out there (not speaking on behalf of the bees, however). But will they happen? Not likely.
What is the difference between locking your home from invaders and locking your hotel room from intruders? How many strangers have keys to your home while you sleep. Why should sleeping in your hotel room be any different. Have you ever heard of a home invader, intent on harming you, knock first?

Yes, there is risk in everything. But we must do everything we can to mitigate that risk. Like:
Watching other drivers on the highway and avoiding the ones that appear to be reckless.
Not eating at restaurants that have unsafe records
keeping your head on a swivel at events
keeping the shades drawn
smelling your food and drink for abnormal smells (fyi, bleach is used as a water disinfectant)
Avoid bee hives
Doing the above things makes them less likely to happen. While I have never done it, barring a hotel door is just mitigating risk. I sleep with a club next to the bed both at home and away.

Do you guys think Disny would have a problem with us bringing our own security lock? Is it illegal to use your own bought for hotel room security lock or bar? With this new security check policy would feel better when alone to put one on.
Thanks for starting this interesting thread, @Robn752!

We chose to mention it on today's DIS Daily Fix - here it is below if you missed it.

I was not commenting on the OP's desired use of the bar. I was commenting on people believing that the latch will keep all out. And that latch gives you precious few seconds, if that.

And that is all you need, if you are looking to stop a CM from entering the room.

IF you have to go the window breaking route beached you brought a device that prevented the door from being opened,
Um, no? You, from inside the room, simply disengage the device.
Absolutely, plenty of lunatics out there (not speaking on behalf of the bees, however).
How do you know why the bees think/act how they do?
Really? So you’ve timed how long it takes to smash a window with a battering ram?
I am sorry my point was not understood as clearly as I thought it was written:
Break the window with anything available, such as, if necessary, even an arm/fist wrapped in towels.
Find a battering ram, then use the battering ram on the barricaded door.
Now, which is faster?
did say that one could use a wedge under the door
The bar pictured does exactly what the wedge does. Both prevent external access while someone is in the unit. So does a chair.
And if the odds are “minuscule” that you and your family could have a medical emergency, consider yourself blessed. :) Some folks have medical issues that increase the odds of an emergency happening.
There are potentially over* 20,000 rooms being checked every. single. day. Do you know how many medical or other emergencies occur in a Disney resort room each day and require EMTs to enter the room(s) without assistance from someone inside the room? I don't - but if it's as many as 20, I'd be stunned. That's one one-hundredth of a percent. You have a better chance of building injured by a toilet, or of winning an Oscar, than of needing emergency personnel to enter a Disney resort room which nobody inside the room can open for them.

*way over; figure used for ease of calculations

I was not commenting on the OP's desired use of the bar. I was commenting on people believing that the latch will keep all out. And that latch gives you precious few seconds, if that.

I never stated in my post that a door latch would keep all out. I suggested OP use the door latch, period, as that is what WDW has installed on its property for us to use to secure the door. I do not think it is in anyone's best interests to mess around with Disney property (quite literally by adding a bar to a door) and try to circumvent the terms and conditions they agreed upon when booking their room.

The bar being discussed wedges under the doorknob and against the floor. It does no damage in and of itself. Requires no installation, no tools. Using it is identical to wedging a chair under the doorknob. Except with a self-provided security device, you can still sit in the chair.

The bar does exactly what the wedge recommended by an anti-bar poster suggested. Nobody objects to that. The wedge is easier to pack. You can even get one with an alarm.

Um, no? You, from inside the room, simply disengage the device.

Yes, I realize I worded that badly, and I'm not sure why you're so affronted by the idea that someone may disagree, but the discussion of a window having to be broken if the person inside the room did not disengage the device is a valid point. I would almost guarantee in such an instance, the person inside the room would be liable for the damages associated with having to break the window if their device prevented emergency services or hotel staff from entering the room.

Yes, I realize I worded that badly, and I'm not sure why you're so affronted by the idea that someone may disagree, but the discussion of a window having to be broken if the person inside the room did not disengage the device is a valid point. I would almost guarantee in such an instance, the person inside the room would be liable for the damages associated with having to break the window if their device prevented emergency services or hotel staff from entering the room.

As they should be liable. Also, that precious time that the protective device might give you when a criminal or peeping Tom CM is trying to break down the door is time you will want back in case of a medical emergency (where precious seconds count) and there are problems entering the room.

I'm genuinely curious how many in-room medical emergencies occur in hotel rooms where the emergent person is the only one in the room?
You are the one who doesn’t understand what I am trying to say—simply that if you barricade your door and need help, you make harder for help to reach you.

That is it. :)
What is the likelihood of the person needing help being the sole person physically in the room at the point of the emergency?

Frankly, if I triple-secure the door, then have an emergency but appropriate persons cannot physically get into my unit, well, that's on me. I'm not stupid. There are risks to anything. The odds of this are miniscule.

I never even implied i would utilize such a device, I simply don't agree with the uproar. Again, a door wedge would also block emergency personnel.

Also, that precious time that the protective device might give you when a criminal or peeping Tom CM
Assigning unsupported criminal activity to any random CM to prove a point? Ridiculously low. Virtually nobody had issues with additional door security prior to the room checks. Now some people are considering - possibly even utilizing - an additional security tool to deter potentially awkward encounters. That's all.

Assigning unsupported criminal activity to any random CM to prove a point? Ridiculously low. Virtually nobody had issues with additional door security prior to the room checks. Now some people are considering - possibly even utilizing - an additional security tool to deter potentially awkward encounters. That's all.

Nope, just exaggeration. I don't believe any of the Disney CMs are peeping toms or criminals. I don't have a problem with the room checks, I don't believe it opens up the likelihood that criminals will now target the new policy and easily bypass the door latch using some youtube video. I'm not the one posting that it's the end of the world and my free rights are being targeted and I'm going to stay offsite because of this "security theater". Why one would even consider bringing an extra security implement in the small likelihood that a CM is going to barge in on a potentially awkward situation is beyond me. Do people bring these to every other hotel they stay at? What about dressing rooms in department stores or shopping malls? Like another poster had said, it's simply paranoia. Heck, they don't even have to barge into your room. They could simply force the door open a few inches that the door latch permits and throw in a package of the amazon uranium, with the intent of harming you via radiation exposure.

I'm genuinely curious how many in-room medical emergencies occur in hotel rooms where the emergent person is the only one in the room?

What is the likelihood of the person needing help being the sole person physically in the room at the point of the emergency?

Frankly, if I triple-secure the door, then have an emergency but appropriate persons cannot physically get into my unit, well, that's on me. I'm not stupid. There are risks to anything. The odds of this are miniscule.

I never even implied i would utilize such a device, I simply don't agree with the uproar. Again, a door wedge would also block emergency personnel.

Perhaps a mother could barricade the door while she takes a shower with her toddler in the room and has an unfortunate accident where she becomes incapacitated. That would be a horrible scenario with a screaming/crying toddler in the room with hotel personnel unable to provide assistance. The thought that creating a circumstance where emergency assistance cannot respond only matters to you is naive and egotistic. It is a big deal for first responders because it is their job to provide timely assistance and it is extremely frustrating when roadblocks prevent it from being carried out.

Perhaps a mother could barricade the door while she takes a shower with her toddler in the room and has an unfortunate accident where she becomes incapacitated. That would be a horrible scenario with a screaming/crying toddler in the room with hotel personnel unable to provide assistance. The thought that creating a circumstance where emergency assistance cannot respond only matters to you is naive and egotistic. It is a big deal for first responders because it is their job to provide timely assistance and it is extremely frustrating when roadblocks prevent it from being carried out.
Really?

People can think up any crazy situation where a door wedge could be a problem. But if someone says that they use it for security, well, they should just stay home if they are that afraid of the world?

How about this? If I create a situation where emergency personnel can't get to me, that is on me. (I don't have to worry about a crying toddler, my son is 22 years old and perfectly capable of opening a door, with or without a wedge.) So, if I use a wedge and I am harmed because of it, shame on me.

OK, for all of you who believe that the latch is a security device to prevent someone from entering your room, I have some shocking news... IT'S NOT!

A child can use a piece of paper to open from the outside in about 10 seconds. A practiced thief, 2 seconds. Hotel staff have a tool that allows them to open it from the outside.View attachment 302287

The purpose of the latch is to allow you to open the door partially and have a conversation safely or pass small objects through.

Careful... I got banned from a thread by moderators here for posting this same thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter