Using Disney Visa

No. We are saving our points for a Tokyo Disneyland trip. If you use the points to pay yourself back, their value is greatly reduced. It is an option though.

For Example:
Economy round trip to Tokyo is about 70k points. The cash value of those points is $700. It makes more sense for us to collect the points.

With the Chase Sapphire Reserve, with the 50% bonus, 70k points = $1,050 cash value.

Flights may still be a better deal at that price, though.

With the Chase Sapphire Reserve, with the 50% bonus, 70k points = $1,050 cash value.

Flights may still be a better deal at that price, though.
Correct. But the incentive is only for travel booked through Chase. I have yet to see a deal in which converting points to cash has yielded any type of savings. I’m still new to point collecting so I may not be savvy enough, yet.

Going back to my Tokyo trip, we are looking at non-stop business tickets with United. Each ticket is 175k points if booked through United. If booked through Chase, each ticket is $10,600 or 750k points!! The cash equivalent of those points with the 50% bonus is only $2,600. I have found that the savings are almost always greater transferring 1:1 with UR partners.

Correct. But the incentive is only for travel booked through Chase. I have yet to see a deal in which converting points to cash has yielded any type of savings. I’m still new to point collecting so I may not be savvy enough, yet.

The newish "Pay Yourself Back" feature actually offers the 50% back in account credit, too, which is a really nice alternative for those of us who are not doing any traveling for a while.

Going back to my Tokyo trip, we are looking at non-stop business tickets with United. Each ticket is 175k points if booked through United. If booked through Chase, each ticket is $10,600 or 750k points!! The cash equivalent of those points with the 50% bonus is only $2,600. I have found that the savings are almost always greater transferring 1:1 with UR partners.

That sounds like a great deal!! I have two small kids, so we don't tend to travel internationally, business class, or (Lord help us!) international business class, which is the real sweet spot for rewards. We normally transfer to Hyatt where we've found great hotel values, but I do envy those great international fares. Have a great trip!!

You get 1.5% back, or 1.5 cents/point. For travel expenses where you earn triple points, that amounts to 4.5% cash back.

So if you spend $25,000* on 100 points via DVC direct, you earn 75,000 points (3x) and can redeem them via Pay Yourself Back for $1,125. That's 4.5% back, or about $11.25 per point in this scenario.

*I'm rounding for simple math, but that's roughly the cost of 100 Poly points direct, which is my plan

Now I have a loan directly with DVC. Currently it's set to auto pay. If I take it off auto pay, will my monthly bill go up? Is there an autopay discount? Figured if I'm going to pay it anyway I might as well get some points out of it.

Someone mentioned extending payments for 90 days on another thread that was closed so I figured it might fit here. I called a new guide (mine retired) about purchasing a small add-on at RIV and asked about using the credit card and also about spreading the payment out over 90 days.

They said that if I pay 'cash' that I could only spread out over 21 days (maybe 30 days). I asked him to check about 90 day option and he hasn't gotten back. My approach would be to pay a 25% down payment and then another 25% at 45 days and then the balance on the Disney Visa at 90 days that would allow me another 180 days of 0% payments.

Is there something special I should ask for? This new guide didn't really seem too well informed on the manner. Not sure if I can say his name on here.

Someone mentioned extending payments for 90 days on another thread that was closed so I figured it might fit here. I called a new guide (mine retired) about purchasing a small add-on at RIV and asked about using the credit card and also about spreading the payment out over 90 days.

They said that if I pay 'cash' that I could only spread out over 21 days (maybe 30 days). I asked him to check about 90 day option and he hasn't gotten back. My approach would be to pay a 25% down payment and then another 25% at 45 days and then the balance on the Disney Visa at 90 days that would allow me another 180 days of 0% payments.

Is there something special I should ask for? This new guide didn't really seem too well informed on the manner. Not sure if I can say his name on here.
My guide actually asked if I needed more than 30 days to pay. He said they didn't have to get approval from a supervisor if the final payment is made within 30 days. If I wanted longer than 30 days they needed approval from a supervisor. My guide didn't act like it was a big deal to do, but just had to get approval. He said that some people like to use the Disney card and spread the payments over a 90 day period.

i need to make my payment on my direct contract. I have the chase sapphire preferred but was thinking about upgrading to reserve for the 3x points rather than 2x points. I see they increased the annual fee though by $200. Anyone with experience find this card to be a good value with that high annual fee? I’m not eligible for the bonus points as I’d be upgrading cards and not opening a new one.

sorry if this is off topic from the Disney visa.

i need to make my payment on my direct contract. I have the chase sapphire preferred but was thinking about upgrading to reserve for the 3x points rather than 2x points. I see they increased the annual fee though by $200. Anyone with experience find this card to be a good value with that high annual fee? I’m not eligible for the bonus points as I’d be upgrading cards and not opening a new one.

I have the reserve card. They give you a $300 annual travel credit each year which helps with the annual fee. So anything that codes as travel is eligible for the credit. Also I think for the next 2 years they also give a $60 doordash credit each year. There are lots of travel benefits with the card. They have been giving some special earning categories this year, like earlier this year they had grocery stores and I think right now gas is a special earning category.

I've really enjoyed having the Reserve. I'm not going to renew it this year as I also have the AmEx Platinum, and have a hard time justifying BOTH fees, but I will re-apply for a new sign-up bonus once I'm eligible (every 4 years, I believe).

Keep in mind that if you upgrade from the Preferred, you won't be eligible for a sign-up bonus, and 60k Reserve points are worth $900. If you've had your Chase Preferred card for close to 4 years you may be better off using the Preferred, downgrading that card to a different family, and then applying for the Reserve (once it's been 4 years since you got a sign-up bonus for the Preferred card), so you get the bonus points. But if you got the Preferred card pretty recently, you're probably better off upgrading if you're going to spend at least $15k, especially with the credits they offer to offset those fees. (Do keep in mind that a second authorized user is another $75 on top of the $550 annual fee.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter