Vacation destinations within USA/Canada with cool summer temperatures

Niagra Falls is a fun, cool choice too...especially the Canadian side!

Cool as in neat, but not cool as in temperature. I live in Niagara Falls and the temperature has been consistently in the high 80s and low 90s with high humidity since late June. It gets warm and VERY humid here until about early September.

OP, the only two places I have been where the temperatures were what I consider comfortable in the summer were San Francisco and Seattle. In San Fran, we were there mid-July and temps were in high 60s all week. In Seattle, we were there for two weeks in July and temps were consistently in the low 70s. We also visited Mt Rainier which had a huge drop in temp, naturally.

I'd also suggest Maui - the temperature isn't necessarily cool, but there is a consistent breeze and low humidity when we've been there during the summer. It made it very comfortable to us, so much so we even got chilly near the pool when the temperature was around 80.

I live in central NH (Lakes Region) and we've had uncharacteristic heat and humidity here since the end of June.

My vote would be for Acadia National Park or the Rangeley Lake area in Maine. Every time we've been there in the summer it has been comfortable.

The Hudson Valley/ Catskills/ Adirondacks is my second favorite location to visit after WDW. It can be hot during the summer, however cools down to the point of being quite chilly at night. Also, there are abundant cooling breezes from the Hudson River or mountains.

Even when the high is low 90's or so, it usually is only uncomfortable from about 12-5.

Banff might be nice. I've been to a lot of great hiking and recreation areas in Canada. But they are pretty remote so there may be a restaurant (without an s on the end) and a shop (without an s on the end), so that may be too remote. Candle Lake, Little Bear Lake and Waskesiu come to mind. Waskesiu I see now has 5 restaurants....3 American, 1 snacks, 1 Italian. http://www.waskesiu.org/dining.html

Banff might be nice. I've been to a lot of great hiking and recreation areas in Canada. But they are pretty remote so there may be a restaurant (without an s on the end) and a shop (without an s on the end), so that may be too remote. Candle Lake, Little Bear Lake and Waskesiu come to mind. Waskesiu I see now has 5 restaurants....3 American, 1 snacks, 1 Italian. http://www.waskesiu.org/dining.html

OP didn't cite any disclaimers about remoteness. I don't see the need to come in implying anyone (excepting yourself I'm sure) might object to a destination dominated by mom and pop's versus chains?

OP didn't cite any disclaimers about remoteness. I don't see the need to come in implying anyone (excepting yourself I'm sure) might object to a destination dominated by mom and pop's versus chains?
Since I go to these places, I don't object.
This line in OP post is what prompted me to assume that they might want a little more commercial options "We love sight seeing, hiking, small towns with shops, restaurants, etc."

Last edited:
Pacific Northwest. Right now Portland is having a heat wave, but it's usually tolerable. Seattle has its best weather in the summer, although it does still rain. And of course the higher elevations such as Mt Rainier or places like the Olympic Peninsula.

Seattle!!
Lived in the area for over 30 years. Lots to do. Temps are moderate, very easy, especially if you are used to hot weather.

OP here:

Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions!

We did Banff/Jasper last year and it was beyond fabulous!

Northern Idaho: Coeur d'Alene, Sandpoint and Lake Pend Oreille. Check out outdoor activities at Schweitzer Mountain. There's plenty of outdoors activities as well as Silverwood theme park (and Boulder Beach water park). Great state parks too.
**Having camped near Sandpoint June - Labor Day weekend, I can tell you that light snow during the summer is a possibility.

Northern Michigan. Traverse City, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Mackinac Island (just to name a few). Lovely in the summer.

Munising is wonderful - Southern shore of Lake Superior. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Just gorgeous country!

We're in San Diego / Coronado Island now -- This week's been between 65 and 78 all week long.

Pictured Rocks:

images

In a few weeks we are flying into Seattle and going to Olympic National Park and then onto Mount Rainier and then down to Crater Lake National Park. I have the weather to all three places on my home page and the temps looks fabulous!!!

Two summers ago we flew into Salt Lake City and did the "Mighty 5" in Utah and the Grand Canyon and except for Capitol Reef National Park, the other five National Parks were 90+. I expected it and was prepared for it, but it makes me even more excited for the cooler weather we will have this year!

However, you never know with weather!! Several people have mentioned my home state of New Hampshire and we definitely have hot and humid weather. Of course it varies and it isn't always hot, you just never know. The Fourth of July week we set records with 7 straight days of 90+.

Five years ago we went to Glacier National Park in Montana and were expecting cooler temps, BUT, the entire area was in a heat wave and the temps were in the 90's the entire time we were there!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Montana, Wyoming Northern Idaho. Washington, Northern California.
San Fran, Monterey Carmel those places rarely get above 75. I would assume Amy place in Canada is going to be pretty nice in the Summer.

Since I go to these places, I don't object.
This line in OP post is what prompted me to assume that they might want a little more commercial options "We love sight seeing, hiking, small towns with shops, restaurants, etc."
Pretty sure they could find some place to eat in Banff. :rotfl2:
banff3.jpg

@Frwinkley - another idea that just occurred to me - how about San Diego? The temperatures and humidity are waaaay more moderate there than any place like it and there's so much to see and do. We've been there several times and it's an excellent vacation destination. Here's the weather stats:
https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/san-diego/california/united-states/usca0982

Couple of suggestions:
  • Yellowstone NP, Grand Teton NP, Jackson Hole, WY. High elevations, great outdoors fun, lots of wildlife and spectacular scenery (especially Grand Teton)
    • If you have time, maybe add Glacier NP in Northern Montana (Canadian border)
  • Sedona, AZ, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon NP and surrounding areas (Monument Valley, Little Antelope canyon...my avatar pic). We did two weeks there two years ago and could easily have spent a month. Sedona is lower and hot, but the other areas are high and cool.
  • Dixie -- Southern Utah. NORTH Rim of the Grand Canyon (same canyon, no crowds), Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP and numerous other places.
  • Alaska Cruise is probably the biggest item on my bucket list other than taking my bride to Italy.
  • San Francisco and Yosemite NP -- we did 10 days there last year and both were great. Yosemite is the prettiest place I've ever been. Easily the prettiest spot in the US.

We did an Alaskan cruise last summer and it was awesome! My mom thought I was crazy to want to vacation somewhere cold but I loved everything about it! Our first day was at sea and it was 40s and rainy. The only problem with this was to get to the buffet area of ship, we had to go outside. But after that day, the weather was ideal. 50s-60s most days and we even had some sun! We brought layering jackets and rain jackets and wore pants every day. Surprisingly, our last day (Victoria, BC) it was in the mid-upper 80s! I was toasty in my jeans that day, and our forecast on our navigator was wrong by 15 degrees! People got to use the pools that day, so good for them, but I was warm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter