Vegetable Gardening Anyone?

As previously threatened...er......promised. Pictures of my fruit and vegie gardening.

When I open my front door, this is the view I normally see. This summer, all we've had is rain, rain and more rain...so this rain is pretty normal too.

11-MarGardenshots025.jpg

That area around the Japanese maple looks sad at the moment, but in spring, the Echium is in bloom.

1009GardenShots014.jpg

To the left of that area, I have a weeping mulberry and a grapefruit. I have Salvia as an underplant, Snow in Summer, oregano and thyme as groundcover and border edging there.

I have hibiscus and buddleja bushes growing around the corner for flower power.

11-MarGardenshots138.jpg

The grapefruit is doing well.

11-MarGardenshots140.jpg

Here's that wild pumpkin, with my 1600L water tank kinda in the back ground.

11-MarGardenshots121.jpg

Beneath my bedroom window, I have 3 lavender bushes that are in serious need of a cutback. The rains have been kind to them this year.

11-MarGardenshots122.jpg

Looking to the right of my front porch is the duo apple 'tree'. It has granny smith on it in the picture. The golden delicious side of the duo didn't do so well this year. There is a lemon verbena on this side of the house as well. I love the smell and on a balmy night, I sometimes go out and crush the leaves for the smell.

11-MarGardenshots137.jpg

My house and my son's 'house'. No prizes for guessing which is which. The cherry tree sits on this side as well...I think I seriously placed it in the wrong spot (the tree, not the cubby). This bed also has a chinese money tree that is incredibly prolific no matter how hard I cut it back. I also have a delightful yellow daisy bush in this bed. The border consists of seaside daisies. This is one of the beds that lettuce grows really well in.

11-MarGardenshots136.jpg

(Yes, I have 2kW of solar panels on my roof)

On the right side of the Japenese maple, I have a very sad camellia (not in shot), a cumquat and the lime.

11-MarGardenshots141.jpg

My limes get stolen a lot, but there is more than enough to keep me happy.

11-MarGardenshots143.jpg

The lemon sits on the other side of the front gate (the lime on the other).

11-MarGardenshots115.jpg

We don't suffer from scurvy in my household!

The garden bed on that side of the house looks like this. I tend to grow cukes and zucchini in this bed; and use lettuce as an edging plant. It usually works well.

11-MarGardenshots135.jpg

Potato plants grow wild and mix about with the rose geranium under the lemon.

11-MarGardenshots145.jpg

The orange is reasonable this year; but the poor gardenia is not coping well. Come to think of it, gardenia does not do well at all in my garden.

11-MarGardenshots146.jpg

This is the Asian side of the house, down the side behind the cubby. The banana actually has fruit this year, the kaffir lime has heaps of gall wasp, you can see the galangal growing out and the taller bush at the back is the curry leaf plant. I use strawberry for the edge here. There is a taller tree right at the very back. It is a jacaranda and I love the purple hues in Spring.

11-MarGardenshots110.jpg

The fence side is all English plants - azeleas and camellias. The interesting plant here is a soap plant groundcover (the green leaves) that you soak the flowers in water overnight for a soapy liquid that you can use.

On the other side of the gate is an area just wide enough for a small table and a very basic fish bath. That bath was in the house when we bought it. It is exceedingly small; but the goldfish are happy there!

11-MarGardenshots130.jpg

This is the back of the house. I have a little fernery area and am constantly amazed that the ferns are alive!

11-MarGardenshots108.jpg

The cherry tomato self seeded in the recycling bin that I've used as a vegetable potting container this year.

11-MarGardenshots128.jpg

They were delicious!

My backyard is very small; and dominated by the apricot tree. Apricots were good last year; but way too much rain this year.

11-MarGardenshots125.jpg

This back bed is a mess. DH started putting roses in there...everyone of them has died, except for the Lincoln rose. It has a lovely scent and I'm waiting for it to fall over. I have a couple of asparagus crowns, a grapevine and a couple of chilean guava shrubs that live in this mess. None of them very productive.

11-MarGardenshots107.jpg

I have an olive tree on the other side of that bed. Olives are looking halfway decent this year. The jacaranda sits on the other side of the olive.

11-MarGardenshots106.jpg

I have an Italian lavender bush and a rosemary; both about 0.5 meters high and they grow under the jacaranda.

That's the extent of my garden. Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

princess::upsidedow

ps. Deb MickeyEars....Not sure if you remember but we met last year at the DisMeet organised by TinkinLouisian at SAB. Nice to cross paths again.

I'd love fruit trees too, but I have no idea what they'd do. There is a cherry tree the birds get. I hear you can grow blueberries if you plant directly in a bale of peat moss, and use rain water (our water is too alkaline).

But I've started! Sort of. Last week, I bought the peat moss, today it was the compost and the potato and onion starters. And I bought some seeds. I went outside and started cleaning up all the dead stuff that has blown everywhere. This week, I will continue clean up, and get the soil amendments in the main garden and set up my new boxes and potato pot. I'm anxious to start planting the lettuce and peas. April, is just around the corner.

I'm so jealous of all your fruit trees!!! I would love to have fruit trees here.

When we moved into the house, we didn't have fruit trees. The previous owner had geraniums all over the garden and it was more of a traditional cottage garden.

Is your climate suitable for fruit trees?

I'd love fruit trees too, but I have no idea what they'd do. There is a cherry tree the birds get. I hear you can grow blueberries if you plant directly in a bale of peat moss, and use rain water (our water is too alkaline).

But I've started! Sort of. Last week, I bought the peat moss, today it was the compost and the potato and onion starters. And I bought some seeds. I went outside and started cleaning up all the dead stuff that has blown everywhere. This week, I will continue clean up, and get the soil amendments in the main garden and set up my new boxes and potato pot. I'm anxious to start planting the lettuce and peas. April, is just around the corner.

I've tried growing blueberries twice in different locations of my garden. Like the gardenias, the blueberries pretty much die. I've got some Chilean guava "shrubs" (for want a of better word) and they aren't dying; but they aren't blossoming either. They were better this year because of all the rain we have had....but I'm going to need to try the peat moss on them to see if it works.

It's autumn over here....time to clean up, prune and keep the weeds down.

On the other hand, it's the Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show this weekend. I'm hoping to go on Saturday morning. Maybe I'll get some ideas for winter vegies.

If I go, I'll probably take my camera to take some shots of the display gardens. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll happily post the pictures (assuming that I get there!).

princess::upsidedow

You have a lovely garden, Princess...lots of variety.

Today I planted some vegetable seeds indoors. I do have parsley germinated that I'll transplant once the weather gets warmer. We have huge snowflakes coming down right now.

Bobbi:goodvibes

PS. I've had blueberry bushes. However, as soon as there's even a hint of color, the robins would eat them. I tried covering with a net and caught a robin's wing. The birds do not bother the raspberries, thank heavens!

Thanks Bobbi! More snow???

I can't wait to hear about all your vegies and plantings in your spring/summer. My garden is heading towards hibernation.

Do you know what sort of soil your garden has? I love the thought of having blueberries but they never seem to work out in mine. My soil is a bit on the acidic side and sandy....supposedly perfect conditions for the bluebs; but I guess there must be something else needed....

Thanks Bobbi! More snow???

I can't wait to hear about all your vegies and plantings in your spring/summer. My garden is heading towards hibernation.

Do you know what sort of soil your garden has? I love the thought of having blueberries but they never seem to work out in mine. My soil is a bit on the acidic side and sandy....supposedly perfect conditions for the bluebs; but I guess there must be something else needed....

Sandy and acidic is the sort of soil that blueberries are supposed to need. We grew the blueberries in PA and our soil was not sandy, but the bushes did thrive.

None of the snow we had yesterday stuck, so today our roads are clear for my commute!:yay:

I planted today!

Potatoes in my giant pot from Disney, peas in one of the boxes I brought from Disney, onions and the first batch of lettuce in the main bed.

It's been so incredibly dry in CO this spring, I've been watering the bed all last week, trying to get the moisture meter to register as something other than dry. I think, I've got it, but I'm going to have to watch it like a hawk. I think I under-watered last year, and I don't want to start out at a disadvantage.

Because we've had a lot of rain in CA in the last few months, our garden is thriving. My forst time to harvest broccoli and what a joy they are.

I love the picture of the lemons blooming on the previous post.

When I have a chance, I will start reading my new veggie gardening book. Hopefully it willl teach me some trick with the aphids.

So excited, just taking a break here in PA from cleaning up our garden mess! Beautiful day FINALLY! Rain is coming tomorrow!

We have 5 raised beds one for herbs and lettuces
one various tomoatoes - lots of grape & big ones!
one for peppers - green, banana & hots!
one has strawberries, lemon balm and mint - pretty but WiLd ! By the time mint & balm are big berries are gone!!( great pollinator and easy keeping.
one for zucchini & yellow squash - even tried brussel spouts last year - looked cool-kids didn't like!

Every year I talk about going bigger and BIGGER! I love the "jam it in there to prevent the weeds" method, LOL!

We are so far away from having veggies! Temps are going back into the high 20s tonight! June (maybe late May) will be planting time for me. If we grew peas or broccoli, that would be different.

My banana plant has bananas on it. :yay: I'm going to try to get out this weekend and take a picture of it. Sadly, it's getting really cold here; so I don't know if the banana will ripen or survive the cold before they are ready.

My banana plant has bananas on it. :yay: I'm going to try to get out this weekend and take a picture of it. Sadly, it's getting really cold here; so I don't know if the banana will ripen or survive the cold before they are ready.

That is so wonderful! I hope it makes it. When DS lived in New Orleans their neighbors had some banana plants.

Yesterday I put in some onion sets. We'll visit DS in Pittsburg next weekend and I'll give him the rest. I want a small herb garden. I've begun parsley and will put it outside soon. Will transplant to a larger pot tomorrow.

My gardens have different veggies growing along with flowers, and WEEDS. The bugs are also getting to my plants :(. Does anyone know of any homemade bug spray I could make to keep the bugs away from eatting the leaves? Not sure what type they are. Could be bettles.

That is so wonderful! I hope it makes it. When DS lived in New Orleans their neighbors had some banana plants.

Yesterday I put in some onion sets. We'll visit DS in Pittsburg next weekend and I'll give him the rest. I want a small herb garden. I've begun parsley and will put it outside soon. Will transplant to a larger pot tomorrow.

Its turned cold here. Don't think the banana is gonna make it through.

:cheer2: for onions and herbs! How are they going?

My gardens have different veggies growing along with flowers, and WEEDS. The bugs are also getting to my plants :(. Does anyone know of any homemade bug spray I could make to keep the bugs away from eatting the leaves? Not sure what type they are. Could be bettles.

We get Neem, which is commercially available in the hardware/garden shops. Its organic and natural.

Sometimes, I try a light soapy water and splash a little over the leaves. It works with aphids; don't know if it will work for the beetles.

Its turned cold here. Don't think the banana is gonna make it through.

:cheer2: for onions and herbs! How are they going?

We get Neem, which is commercially available in the hardware/garden shops. Its organic and natural.

Sometimes, I try a light soapy water and splash a little over the leaves. It works with aphids; don't know if it will work for the beetles.

Thank you for that tip. My husband makes that as well.

I'm growing tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, potatoes and pineapples. I think I'll be adding beans, lettuce and watermelon too, if I can finish the garden expansion. This is my 4th year, and the garden has gotten bigger every year.

Getting ready to till sometime in the next 2 weeks.
We've had weird weather so I'm trying to wait.

the plan is:
tomatoes
pumpkins
green beans
yellow squash
cucumbers
hubbard squash

I think that's it.
The last few years corn and green peppers have not been working out so we are skipping those.

The rhubarb is ready!! It looks fabulous! I will try to take a pic tomorrow. We are supposed to get rain this weekend so I'll try to get that done before the rain starts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter