Vegetable Gardening Anyone?

Getting tired of the rain!!

The garden is plowed but nothing has been planted yet. We are behind!

We did however discover 10 pumpkin plants that grew back up on their own (mom always tosses rotten pumpkins back in). So we dug those up and put them in a bucket before we tilled.

I may be late, but I did plant my tomato plants today!:banana:

Planted cucumber and pumpkin seeds too!

Thank you Dh for helping!!!!:love:

I finished the rest of the planting yesterday.

The onions, lettuce, peas, and potatoes I planted in April are coming along very nicely.

Then over the last two weeks I added: 3 tomato plants, carrots, beans, zucchini, cucumbers, basil, parsley, cilantro, oregano, rosemary and one pepper plant (since I have everything else for homemade pico de gallo)

The basil plant that I planted 2 weeks ago is thriving in the heat. I love fresh basil and tomatoes from the garden. Have a long time to wait for the tomatoes!

mommytotwo, are you harvesting already?

The basil plant that I planted 2 weeks ago is thriving in the heat. I love fresh basil and tomatoes from the garden. Have a long time to wait for the tomatoes!

mommytotwo, are you harvesting already?

Just cherry tomatoes. I have Japanese chives all year long but the rest of the things are not growing well :( . Weird weather doesn't help.

We were away for 11 nights and the raspberries have matured! My first harvest, a few cups!

Bobbiwoz....how did those raspberries taste? Wish we could grow berries here.

They are red raspberries, and taste like the Driscoll raspberries you can buy in the store. This year our Kroger has had the little containers of Driscoll raspberries for $1 or $2 for a few weeks recently!

They are red raspberries, and taste like the Driscoll raspberries you can buy in the store. This year our Kroger has had the little containers of Driscoll raspberries for $1 or $2 for a few weeks recently!

Wow what a great deal. At our stores, they are usually four or five something for a little container.

How is your garden these days, Patsy?

I have basil and parsley to pick and a few pumpkin vines that make me think I'll get a pumpkin or two this year!:thumbsup2

Not much going on in my garden other then Japanese chives, and weeds. My dad, and husband are actually putting together another garden for me, so I am looking forward to when that is completed. Our dog keeps taking my garden decor :(. Might have to do another garden exchange one day soon. :flower3:

Hi all,

I'm new here. :)
But I'm a garden girl! We have a rooftop garden on our apartment building here in NYC. What work it is to get all that soil, materials, etc to the roof, but how great it is to have corn, tomatoes, beans, pumpkin, strawberries growing on your urban roof!!

Right now this is part of our garden (doesn't show the strawberries, watermelon, pumpkins):
5915821139_d989979fca_z.jpg

And here's our harvest today:
5916413074_76dfd453ef_z.jpg

Our tomatoes are starting to turn (beef, roma, cherry) and I'd say we have about 150 tomatoes on our plants... going to be eating alot of tomatoes soon! :rotfl:

Hi! I'm an old dis-er but a new gardener. My son (10) has taken an interest and we started a little late and I'm a little clueless.

To catch up....I live in Southern NJ. We tried to grow from seeds but when we replanted it didn't work out well (every last one died so any suggestions for next year on that would be greatly appreciated). So we bought plants and planted them. In our very small garden we have Roma tomatoes (with some green ones on there now), basil which seems to be doing well, a zucchini plant that is getting big and has flowers but no veg yet, a canteloupe plant with a ton of flowers but no fruit and a watermelon plant without flowers.

Then on the side of the house we have 3 pumpkin and/or gourd plants (I planted seeds in November and they popped up!). Had a few flowers which are now dried out (while we were in Disney last week). Dunno if they were pollinated or not or how to tell.....:( Have been reading on 'helping' with pollination but need to wait for more flowers. Thinking the same on the canteloupe but I can't tell if the flowers are girls or boys :lovestruc

And lastly out front along our garage we have 3 grape plants. Planted them 4 years ago and it's the first year they did well (no idea what we did right). Only one has grapes (the one in the direct sunlight) and there are 7 bunches of grapes on it. I have no idea what kind they are or how to tell when they are ripe but they don't look ripe to my novice eye yet.

So any advice from the pros would be so appreciated...(I have scrapbook tips in my head..not great for gardening :)) and what resources have you used to learn how to do basic gardening?

I'm also trying to grow Jolokai peppers from seeds inside (they all died the first time we replanted so those buggers are staying in for now as they are tiny), have four fig twigs that don't appear to be rooting despite my efforts to follow instructions and magnolia tree seeds that are still just dirt after a month.

Took on a lot of new things at once as I figured if my son is very interested and this is a great thing to be intersted in - then let's go in 100%

Thanks and look forward to seeing the gardens (BTW that NYC rooftop rocks!)

Maria

Hey there,

Some questions:
How are you planting them? In what kind of containers? What kind of soil? Any nutrients?
Also when you plant seeds inside and transport outside - are you taking precautions (little bit at a time, bring back inside, repeat) or are you just putting outside and that's that?

Per pollination, we definitely assist in this by hand pollination. That can be as easy as just slightly shaking the tomato flowers a bit, or going in there at 6AM with a qtip when the pumpkin flowers are open.

This is a great book: http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-guide-gardening-updated-color/dp/0895778297

Hey there,

Some questions:
How are you planting them? In what kind of containers? What kind of soil? Any nutrients?
Also when you plant seeds inside and transport outside - are you taking precautions (little bit at a time, bring back inside, repeat) or are you just putting outside and that's that?

Per pollination, we definitely assist in this by hand pollination. That can be as easy as just slightly shaking the tomato flowers a bit, or going in there at 6AM with a qtip when the pumpkin flowers are open.

This is a great book: http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-guide-gardening-updated-color/dp/0895778297

Thanks for responding!

We planted them in small plastic containters or clay pots with miracle grow seeding soil. The first time we just planted them outside (wrong move!) then we read some and figured out that we needed to do it a little at a time and after the first time they sat out for a few hours they all wilted and when we brought them back in they never recovered. I think maybe we started too late.

Thanks for responding!

We planted them in small plastic containters or clay pots with miracle grow seeding soil. The first time we just planted them outside (wrong move!) then we read some and figured out that we needed to do it a little at a time and after the first time they sat out for a few hours they all wilted and when we brought them back in they never recovered. I think maybe we started too late.

It's possible.. :(
When we transplant from inside to outside we usually do it for a few days, the first day just 1 hour, the next day 2 hours, etc etc. We have a green house (that we built on the cheap) that is great to start things early as well. I always get worried though when transplanting! :grouphug:

Also per containers, try using potting mix (not soil) - it makes a huge difference. :)

Here's our harvest today.. first green peppers of the season!
The end of the broccoli and carrots too.. will be planting more carrots this weekend.

5931741068_d37ba7a2a0_z.jpg

Tomato insanity is starting...
Tonight I'll be making some roasted tomatoes!

Last 2 days:
5937941197_8239decc96_z.jpg

5934849295_5fc3007d41_z.jpg

Nice pictures. I am jealous of the peas. I grew some this year, and got a nice first batch. Then the weather hit the mid-90s for a week, and I thought the peas were goners. But today, I looked, and one of the plants has new flowers, so maybe they are not quite done yet.

Lettuce is done. I was afraid the cold, hot, cool hot had caused the onions to bolt, and some of them did, but not all of them. The rest look like they are developing into good sized bulbs. The cilantro bolted early too. Everything else is too early, because we have to plant the tender vegetables so late. But the tomato plant has a ton of green tomatoes, so they're close. Cucumbers have flowers, and I think the zucchini aren't far behind, based on the size of the plants. Oh, and the green beans are starting to flower too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter