Visiting in August and dealing with the heat

We went during a heat wave in October and it was rough. I have a chronic illness that makes being in the heat tough, I am literally sapped of all energy within 20 minutes. Point being, I survived! lol. It took some planning though. We bought 2 of those overpriced spray bottle/fan thingies, slathered on the sunscreen, wore hats and did everything in spurts. Most of the lines for rides were either air conditioned or covered which helped, then we would cool off on the rides, go back into the heat and get a drink and move to the next ride. We made sure we had places we could go to cool off in between FP's or shows as well. In MK we took a nice cool nap in the Hall of Presidents, hung out in the Tiki Room, the shops, & restaurants, Laugh Floor, etc. Basically we made sure we drank a lot of water, took regular breaks and spent more time inside than out. Splash, Small World and other longish rides are great for breaks too.

im thinking about booking a trip at the end of August. I know it’s going to be blazing hot so I’m thinking we’ll do water parks and hotel pools during the day and go to the theme parks at night. What is the temperature and heat like in the evenings, once the sun sets? On average, I understand it will vary and there are no guarantees.

Is this a bad strategy? Will we find the heat inescapable? This is our 3rd trip to Disney so we’re not concerned with doing everything. We’re fine with only doing a few rides and shows.

Thoughts?

Totally doable! We've been going in August for some time now and just tour differently than let's say we would if we were going in the fall. We do get up early and do as much as we can in the parks until about noon-1:00p. We then head out, grab a bite somewhere and head back to our resort for pool time. We normally stay poolside until about 5:00 or the T-storms roll in whichever comes first, then we head to the room for showers/quick naps and get ready for dinner. After dinner, we play it by ear. If the majority wants to go back to a park we do and if not, we wing it. The biggest tip would be to stay hydrated and not try to over do anything. We also bring these small hand-held, battery operated fans (think the kind you can fit in your pocket) and they really do help when walking around in the sun and heat - we got ours at Walmart in the camping section.

we lounge around the pool during the day and then go to the parks in the evening. This works for us, as we're not morning people.
We are planning a 2020 july trip. I'm already scared about the heat. But our options were April for 7 days doing WDW only or July and 7 days WDW and also tacking on a few universal days. My family voted summer, so we are trying to figure out the best tips to handle the heat.

Do you find that the evenings are more packed than the mornings? We are thinking RD until noon and then back for the evenings. It is tough to be at WDW and not experience the evening fireworks.

We went during a heat wave in October and it was rough. I have a chronic illness that makes being in the heat tough, I am literally sapped of all energy within 20 minutes. Point being, I survived! lol. It took some planning though. We bought 2 of those overpriced spray bottle/fan thingies, slathered on the sunscreen, wore hats and did everything in spurts. Most of the lines for rides were either air conditioned or covered which helped, then we would cool off on the rides, go back into the heat and get a drink and move to the next ride. We made sure we had places we could go to cool off in between FP's or shows as well. In MK we took a nice cool nap in the Hall of Presidents, hung out in the Tiki Room, the shops, & restaurants, Laugh Floor, etc. Basically we made sure we drank a lot of water, took regular breaks and spent more time inside than out. Splash, Small World and other longish rides are great for breaks too.
Did you go this past October 2018?....If so we were there in the same heat wave as you.

We have been in July and August and we typically go to the parks in the morning and head back to the hotel at after lunch. He lounge by the pool for the afternoon and take a break in our room. We head back to the parks after dinner.

We’ve been in February, May, June, July, August, October, and December.
Of the summer months early June was nicest. July and August were with with small children. We were fine with planning. We hit the parks when they opened. We’d head back to the hotel about noon. Cool nap then we would head back to a park about five o’clock and stay until close. Often the next day we would sleep in and go to the pool. And then hit a park later. We usually scheduled 2 no park days to give the kids a rest.

Hi, half the times I’ve been to Disney World have been in August. (I went to Disney World every year for my birthday until I was four. My parents taking advantage of the whole,”Children Three, and under get in free!” Thing.) The other times were in April, and June. I don’t really remember the August trips that much. But my first memories were when I was in the parks. As for staying Cool, I do remember they sold little fans, that spray out water. I wonder if they still sell them. But we always remember to occasionally browse the shops, which usually have air conditioning. And go on indoor rides as much as possible.

The Summer heat at Disney World can be a major factor depending where you are from. It personally doesn't affect us as much as it does some people because we come from where it is hot and humid so we are used to it. We do still duck into the air conditioned theaters for some shows and like to choose restaurants that have inside seating to take a break from the sun. Our strategy is to arrive early, take an afternoon resort break (let any thunderstorms pass), and head back to the park later for more fun. Take advantage of the free ice water.

The Summer heat at Disney World can be a major factor depending where you are from. It personally doesn't affect us as much as it does some people because we come from where it is hot and humid so we are used to it. We do still duck into the air conditioned theaters for some shows and like to choose restaurants that have inside seating to take a break from the sun. Our strategy is to arrive early, take an afternoon resort break (let any thunderstorms pass), and head back to the park later for more fun. Take advantage of the free ice water.
Yeah, Where I come from it can get pretty hot, and humid as well, (I'm From St.Louis,Missouri.) And actually sometimes here it's actually Hotter than Florida can get ironically enough !

What you wear will have an impact. Avoid cotton. Stick to wool and synthetics. Check out your local REI or Bass Pro Shop.

What you eat matters too. Skip soda and drink water.

And while water parks are awesome, don’t forget the sunscreen and hats. I also like buffs to keep the sun off my neck. I can also wet it down, which helps too.

Yeah, Where I come from it can get pretty hot, and humid as well, (I'm From St.Louis,Missouri.) And actually sometimes here it's actually Hotter than Florida can get ironically enough !
I have always said that the hottest place I've been is St. Louis. I am only about 2 hours from there and it always seems to be terribly hot and humid every time I am there in the Summer.

I have always said that the hottest place I've been is St. Louis. I am only about 2 hours from there and it always seems to be terribly hot and humid every time I am there in the Summer.
Yeah and the thing is I work at The Ampitheater Previously Called Riverport tm. During the summer as a Ticket Taker. Though it’s manageable till Music Festivals happen.

We went last September where there was a wave of heat and humidity that was brutal...heat index was 110 a few days. I have asthma and autoimmune issues that were not enjoying it. We did find that the evenings were more pleasant even though still humid. During the day we did a mix of pools and relaxing, when in parks strategic a/c as much as possible, keeping hydrated as much as possible - sadly I felt like I need to hydrate so much drinking at Food and Wine was not a good idea ). We are going again this year in September but have a better action plan - sit downs early in the afternoon for lunched so we can hit Food and Wine in the PM when it is less intense, more laid back pool time if needed. Keeping ahead of hydration and electrolytes is the most important. Use the a/c in gift shops, bathrooms, anywhere even just for a minute or 2 if you feel you are over heating.

We did August in 2011 and said never again! So... needless to say we're going in August this summer

Plan is H20 Glow night night 1, BB day 2, sleep/pool, evening at Epcot & DIS AK party day 3, sleep again (bc I doubt we'll be back before 2am) evening at MK day 4. Zero daytime except water park and no early mornings with 2 teenagers

I would go to the parks in the morning...before the temps really get up there.
leave around Lunch. Enjoy time in the pool or a nap.
Head back to the parks after the afternoon Thunderstorm....which usually helps to cool things down a bit

We loved our August 2018 trip. Crowds were very reasonanle, except for MK fireworks--we got caught in the middle of a gigantic crowd.

We typically went in the mornings and evenings and left midday, except for our day at MK. It rained on and off and kept things cool. It was too humid for a rain poncho but it was fine with a baseball cap. When the downpours came we missed them (We were on a ride or at dinner) so we lucked out. We stayed from open to close because it was my birthday and I refused to leave. :)
Eta that our second day at MK was a party day. The crowds were super low until later in the day when the party people arrived. It was nice to have short lines everywhere.

September last year, when the evening lows were 74. We had filtered water bottles and had no problem filling them at fountains or asking for cups of water. Easily went through 8 bottles a day. I wore a light, wide-brimmed hat that I could wad up into my pockets for rides.

I also made sure to bring spray-on deodorant and sprayed lots of places I usually don't need to. :rotfl:

Frog toggs (cooling towels) are awesome ....especially if u have someone sensitive to heat. I met upbwith a friend there who was wilting (with headaches etc) and was going to leave at 10am to hide out in the hotel room. I handed her a fresh Frog Togg, got her something to eat in the AC and she survived the rest of the day just fine :)

My SIL is also sensitive and the one I gave her really helped her manage the heat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter