VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I am holding out hope that DVC will move points around again in 2021 to make 1Brs a better value since they can only change 20% of points at any given year...hoping it’s all part of a larger plan that’ll make more sense - but then again - you know the old saying - ‘IF WISHES WERE PONIES WE’D ALL HAVE RIDES’....

I have 3 ponies if that will help! :goodvibes

I cannot think of any reason that putting a big premium on Studio and 1BR lockoffs is a benefit to members. Even the "glass half full" optimist that regularly books studios or 1BRs can't be happy that his/her typical visit to WDW just went up significantly point wise.

The only ones dancing for joy are the people who reserve 2BR villas for the two seasons affected. In the past when we only went in the summer, this would have been great for us. But we are now booking only 1BR for the foreseeable future.

Disney has done a brilliant job of finding a loophole in Florida timeshare laws. It's not enough to make me sell, but if they do something similar in 2021 point charts they may make it too "expensive" to book the 1BRs and studios. At that point I'd have to see if owning DVC still makes sense.

I wonder, did this same thing happen to the points charts at other resorts?

I always like to compare BCV to VWL as they are very similar in terms of layout. I assume because they are of similar age.

The whole thing seems like a bit of underhandedness even though it’s legal. Seems like a misrepresentation of how I understood things worked.

I guess those expensive but large studios at the Poly become more appealing and feel like less of a point splurge now....(only + I can come up with..)

I wonder, did this same thing happen to the points charts at other resorts?

I always like to compare BCV to VWL as they are very similar in terms of layout. I assume because they are of similar age.

The whole thing seems like a bit of underhandedness even though it’s legal. Seems like a misrepresentation of how I understood things worked.

I guess those expensive but large studios at the Poly become more appealing and feel like less of a point splurge now....(only + I can come up with..)

Here's an article with more details around the point schedule changes...and it coincidentally includes BCV point schedule comparisons.

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/other...20-dvc-points-reallocation-part-1#prettyPhoto

It appears that BCV followed a similar path to VWL points although the thing that jumps out at me on the BCV point schedule is that some weekdays went down while the weekends in the same season went up...thus restoring some of the "weekend penalty" that used to be very pronounced in DVC point schedules.

I cannot think of any reason that putting a big premium on Studio and 1BR lockoffs is a benefit to members. Even the "glass half full" optimist that regularly books studios or 1BRs can't be happy that his/her typical visit to WDW just went up significantly point wise.

The only ones dancing for joy are the people who reserve 2BR villas for the two seasons affected. In the past when we only went in the summer, this would have been great for us. But we are now booking only 1BR for the foreseeable future.

Disney has done a brilliant job of finding a loophole in Florida timeshare laws. It's not enough to make me sell, but if they do something similar in 2021 point charts they may make it too "expensive" to book the 1BRs and studios. At that point I'd have to see if owning DVC still makes sense.
Agree wholeheartedly, Tom, especially with the last paragraph. We've enjoyed our DVC for years, and generally I'm an optimist. However, for the past few years, Disney in general--DVD in particular--seems to be have been making a mad dash for the brass ring while not being terribly concerned about whom they trample.

Last edited:
Here's an article with more details around the point schedule changes...and it coincidentally includes BCV point schedule comparisons.

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/other...20-dvc-points-reallocation-part-1#prettyPhoto

It appears that BCV followed a similar path to VWL points although the thing that jumps out at me on the BCV point schedule is that some weekdays went down while the weekends in the same season went up...thus restoring some of the "weekend penalty" that used to be very pronounced in DVC point schedules.

Very good article. After reading this, it makes me wonder if DVC is reacting to an overwhelming trend of new owners that only want to book studios — the old supply & demand thing. Another thought — maybe these reallocations toward higher points for studios are going to make future resorts seem like a bargain in their initial point charts?

Or, will new resorts have higher per night point costs for studios & 1BR’s from the get go?

This is going to be really interesting to watch moving forward....

I wonder if there is a chart which shows points per unit by resort — it would be interesting to see how many points a 2BR at various resorts represents side by side...

Very good article. After reading this, it makes me wonder if DVC is reacting to an overwhelming trend of new owners that only want to book studios — the old supply & demand thing. Another thought — maybe these reallocations toward higher points for studios are going to make future resorts seem like a bargain in their initial point charts?

Or, will new resorts have higher per night point costs for studios & 1BR’s from the get go?

This is going to be really interesting to watch moving forward....

I wonder if there is a chart which shows points per unit by resort — it would be interesting to see how many points a 2BR at various resorts represents side by side...

Ron...that would be a big spreadsheet. Here's a chart that DVC News put together just for studios and just for Monday - Friday (weekday) point comparisons.

b_1200_800_0_10_images_stories_features_WDW_Studio_2019_2020c.png

As you can see, there has always been a lot of disparity in points required to book villas at the various resorts. I wasn't aware that Animal Kingdom - Value was the lowest point requirement for studios. For some reason I thought it was still OKW (which isn't far behind but the gap is growing).

I agree it will be interesting to watch going forward.

The only ones dancing for joy are the people who reserve 2BR villas for the two seasons affected.
Back when I was originally considering a DVC purchase, about a dozen years ago, this would have been me. We visited Orlando for a week each year during late February/early March, and we expected to do that going forward for many years to come. I had two kids in grade school, and we had always considered a 2BR the minimum acceptable "vacation size" for our family. The cost to do that in DVC during our week (Magic Season) was just too high compared to what was possible offsite. For that reason (plus some others) we ended up buying a non-Disney timeshare on the secondary market instead, and never looked back.

As it happens, we were able to use Interval (and later, RCI) to exchange into DVC. Our first DVC stay was in a 1BR at OKW, and we thought we could make do. We did, but it was unpleasant, and it confirmed for us that a 2BR was really the minimum we could do. We did go back to DVC another four times in a 2BR unit (BLT, OKWx2, and VWL) and those vacations were great, but so were our vacations at e.g. Bonnet Creek, Hilton Sea World, etc.

The change in DVC deposit patterns that more or less made 2BR exchanges impossible happened a few years after circumstances arose that ended our annual late Winter Orlando trips. So, we got a little lucky. But, if I were to do it over again, even if DVC exchanges were never possible, I'd probably make the same decision, even at the current point values. The 5% difference would not be material.

Ron...that would be a big spreadsheet. Here's a chart that DVC News put together just for studios and just for Monday - Friday (weekday) point comparisons.

View attachment 372104

As you can see, there has always been a lot of disparity in points required to book villas at the various resorts. I wasn't aware that Animal Kingdom - Value was the lowest point requirement for studios. For some reason I thought it was still OKW (which isn't far behind but the gap is growing).

I agree it will be interesting to watch going forward.

And, interesting I see from the chart what used to be a 6 point per night difference in Magic Season from Poly to Wilderness has now dwindled to a mere 3 points! And, I think one can make an argument for that really large Studio at Poly for 3 points per night. Even though I prefer Wilderness resort, I suspect if my wife sees this I will have another Poly trip forth coming...

Thanks for the link!

And, interesting I see from the chart what used to be a 6 point per night difference in Magic Season from Poly to Wilderness has now dwindled to a mere 3 points! And, I think one can make an argument for that really large Studio at Poly for 3 points per night. Even though I prefer Wilderness resort, I suspect if my wife sees this I will have another Poly trip forth coming...

Thanks for the link!

Remember to look at the weekends too if you haven't already (and assuming you stay on weekends!)

I'm not certain why DVCNews only did the weekdays because the weekends add more to the story. Maybe a little unfavorably as where they reduced the requirements back in 2010/2011 they have increased it again in many cases.

I'm not certain why DVCNews only did the weekdays because the weekends add more to the story. Maybe a little unfavorably as where they reduced the requirements back in 2010/2011 they have increased it again in many cases.

Kathy...I agree, I thought it odd that they glossed over the weekend point increases. Seems like just doing a full week would have been a more concise way of presenting the information. Bottom line, Disney is increasing Studios and 1BR requirements and reducing 2BR in many cases to offset. And they have restored the "weekend penalty" a little bit. It is a strange move to be sure.

Wishing you all a very
HAPPY and blessed NEW YEAR 2019!

nyenye9496-624x352.jpg

Disney Parks Blog will again be live streaming the New Year's Eve 2019 Fireworks.
No link is posted yet, but look for one on their blog about 15 minutes prior to midnight.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ive-to-stream-new-years-eve-fireworks-dec-31/

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! As I type this out on my phone - I’m with Jerry in recovery at the hospital - his shoulder surgery was today - more damage and bleeding then the surgeons expected and still a possibility that he’s going to need a second surgery to replace his shoulder due to the extensive damage - but at least I get to take him home tonight -

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! As I type this out on my phone - I’m with Jerry in recovery at the hospital - his shoulder surgery was today - more damage and bleeding then the surgeons expected and still a possibility that he’s going to need a second surgery to replace his shoulder due to the extensive damage - but at least I get to take him home tonight -
Hope 2019 is kind to you and Jerry. No one wants to have even one surgery, never mind two.

Will continue praying for you folks and as a New Year comes around, here is hoping for better days ahead for you folks

Tricia.....prayers are going up for Jerry, and keeping you both in my thoughts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter