• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW and DL Pirates to change Redhead scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. That's not your call to make. Disney's call. Apparently, they think it does, so whether it's because it's been around for 50 years + a new movie just came out = so it's a good time to jump on the refresh for future development -- OR NOT -- they're still doing it. It is still a viable reason for a refresh, despite your noting that there was a 4.5 month refurb last year. Notice they are updating all of the POTC rides, so it seems more likely that it's to introduce significant storyline changes for the future.

2. ...okay...again, what you deem necessary to the ride doesn't mean Disney is adopting your workflow. I know the movies were originally based on the ride. But now there's a lot more movie storyline vs. ride storyline, so it makes sense for them to change the ride to more closely match the movie (of the same name). If this ride is to be open for many more decades, then there's a whole new generation of park visitors who never saw the ride or lived in a world without the POTC movies. Whether or not anyone wants to accept that change, Disney will address it and adapt as they see fit.

3. Again, when did people have problems with this ride before? I've never heard of it as a complaint. I've heard whispers of complaints that Tiki Room/Splash Mountain have racist elements. I've definitely seen the outcry over HoP. But I hadn't heard of POTC as being problematic until now. You say it's an easy assumption that "many have more problems with this ride more than other rides." Is it also easy to point to some evidence that supports your assumption?

The whole issue here is WHY is Disney doing a refurb on POC when it really doesn't need one and it just had a long refurb, that is what the previous poster was trying to point out. He obviously knows it Disney's call, not his, don't think you have to point that out to him.

I cannot agree with or like this line of thought enough! This is why I am quickly tiring of Iger and his IP/PC push. At this point, I really miss Michael. It is time for a change, but he keeps finding new ways to hang on and further ruin the parks.

It's all about making more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The whole issue here is WHY is Disney doing a refurb on POC when it really doesn't need one and it just had a long refurb, that is what the previous poster was trying to point out. He obviously knows it Disney's call, not his, don't think you have to point that out to him.

Yeah, as I've already explained and as has already been said and understood by others, I'm pointing out it's not anyone else's call besides Disney because of the very fact that when people are discussing why, I and others have offered a reason why: a ride refresh. Something that's repeatedly said in rebuttal is "that can't be why because the ride doesn't NEED one!" Well, "need" is a determination made by Disney. So it could very well be why. THAT'S why I'm pointing it out, since it looks like you do need to have it explained: any declaration of which rides "need" or do not "need" a ride refresh doesn't cancel out the possibility that Disney may be doing this as a ride update.

Either way neither of us know the true motives. Rare still means it's possible.

I'm 19, I love CBJ. I'm a rare WDW lover compared to my teen guy counterparts. Of course we don't know whether future generations will like pirates as it is but they certainly could like it.

People also love Haunted Mansion, BTMRR and Space, all non-IP based.

I don't mind IP as long as it sticks with a theme for an area or park. Gaurdians and Frozen in Epcot don't do that. That is for another thread tho.

Right, sorry, back on topic.

I think we somewhat lose sight of what makes a ride or attraction lasting. It's not necessarily a particular demographic like kids or a particular IP. It's something that just clicks with a certain number of people. I have no idea why, but I like the tiki room in the same way you like CBJ. No one on my family feels the same, and I don't see much love for it here either. Disney pretty much just throws stuff at a wall and sees what sticks. All places do that- museums, city parks, libraries, malls.

Pirates has that "sticky" quality. It did before the JD addition. It will after they reinvent Scarlett as a pirate. It's really a positive sign that they continue to refurb or reinvent these attractions, because it means they want to keep bringing new fans in. If they stop showing something love, that's a pretty good sign it may be bulldozed. I don't like it when Splash or Indy are being refurbed on my DL trip dates, but to be honest, it also makes me breathe a sigh of relief. They're both old, and expensive in terms of maintenance. Refurb means there isn't a huge risk of closure.

First of all, no. This news source is the only one describing it as "sneaky". It is a trending topic on social media, and has coverage from many news sources. As far as the initial announcement, doesn't Disney routinely announce things on blogs?

When I posted this news here on the boards it had literally just been announced on Parks Blog, so it wasn't trending on social or had coverage elsewhere. Disney does routinely announce things on the Blog, yes, but what was "sneaky" about this was that it was not announced directly as usual - this information was released in among a Disneyland Paris PotC announcement and not as a standalone post.

Same with me and my friends. Red flag the size of Russia lol. I am guessing those who have never heard of that don't go on Reddit. It is a very Redpill and Incels way to dismiss or belittle women.
I found Reddit to be like the comments on internet news articles - people post crazy things that they would never say face to face, but it probably more accurately reflects the inner workings of many minds than the polite facade we see on the streets. Scary thought, but most people are far more biased than even they want to believe.

As for this change - when I talked about it with my wife and sons they all felt the same way. A shame that Disney feels that they need to change the scene, but it is their scene to change. We are just visitors in Disney's "world".

I found Reddit to be like the comments on internet news articles - people post crazy things that they would never say face to face, but it probably more accurately reflects the inner workings of many minds than the polite facade we see on the streets. Scary thought, but most people are far more biased than even they want to believe.

As for this change - when I talked about it with my wife and sons they all felt the same way. A shame that Disney feels that they need to change the scene, but it is their scene to change. We are just visitors in Disney's "world".

Eh unfortunately the crazy guys that are on Reddit are out in full force in the "real world" as well. But that is a whole other discussion for another day lol

People are acting as though Disney succumbed to some sort of outrage to change the scene, but there wasn't any outrage. I think they knew they were sitting on a potential goldmine when it comes to marketing pirates to girls. And they were already selling a good bit of merchandise with the red headed woman, so they probably figured they would tweak it a bit and watch the money roll in.

Same with me and my friends. Red flag the size of Russia lol. I am guessing those who have never heard of that don't go on Reddit. It is a very Redpill and Incels way to dismiss or belittle women.

That very well be the case - I literally have never been on Reddit (though I have heard of it) and prior to just googling it had never heard the terms "Redpill" (other than from The Matrix) nor "Incels" ... so guess it is me

Eh unfortunately the crazy guys that are on Reddit are out in full force in the "real world" as well. But that is a whole other discussion for another day lol

People are acting as though Disney succumbed to some sort of outrage to change the scene, but there wasn't any outrage. I think they knew they were sitting on a potential goldmine when it comes to marketing pirates to girls. And they were already selling a good bit of merchandise with the red headed woman, so they probably figured they would tweak it a bit and watch the money roll in.

Let's see if they really cash in by having a hard ticket event for after hours rides on pirates before they make the change, complete with special cupcake of course to capitalize on those that will miss he prior version .... and then a separate hard ticket even for the ride when it reopens, with different special cupcake of course

Let's see if they really cash in by having a hard ticket event for after hours rides on pirates before they make the change, complete with special cupcake of course to capitalize on those that will miss he prior version .... and then a separate hard ticket even for the ride when it reopens, with different special cupcake of course

They kind of did that a few years ago with the Pirates and Princess parties. They were pretty popular!

I think Disney should have a rating system like movies do. This way people can read the info before going in and decide whether they want to go on.

It could say things like "Attraction contains scenes of violence", "Auctions of Women", etc.

I think Disney should have a rating system like movies do. This way people can read the info before going in and decide whether they want to go on.

It could say things like "Attraction contains scenes of violence", "Auctions of Women", etc.

Weren't you the one in the thread claiming women are the emotional ones? Your comments have definitely been more emotional than most of the ones I have seen so far lol

I mean, it's just a ride...I am sure it will still be a great ride even with this very minor change...

So thinking about this more, I'm wondering how much the success of Wonder Woman had to do with this decision...
Wonder Woman, I believe, changed how Hollywood will think of female leads in the future, especially in action/adventure movies. Disney has been moving towards more empowering female leads in both their animated movies and their TV shows. So I'm thinking the complete and amazing success of Wonder Woman (by a competitor) may have pushed an idea that was maybe in the background to the foreground. It may have also sped up the time frame because, as rteetz stated, Pirates at DL was just closed for refurbishment.
I'm guessing there were multiple factors, including the many that have been discussed here, but based on Disney Parks track record for trying to cash in on the latest and greatest (cough, Frozen, cough, cough), I believe the tipping point of this was the cashing in on a woman pirate character.

So thinking about this more, I'm wondering how much the success of Wonder Woman had to do with this decision...
Wonder Woman, I believe, changed how Hollywood will think of female leads in the future, especially in action/adventure movies. Disney has been moving towards more empowering female leads in both their animated movies and their TV shows. So I'm thinking the complete and amazing success of Wonder Woman (by a competitor) may have pushed an idea that was maybe in the background to the foreground. It may have also sped up the time frame because, as rteetz stated, Pirates at DL was just closed for refurbishment.
I'm guessing there were multiple factors, including the many that have been discussed here, but based on Disney Parks track record for trying to cash in on the latest and greatest (cough, Frozen, cough, cough), I believe the tipping point of this was the cashing in on a woman pirate character.

Not sure if Wonder Woman specifically had anything to do with it - but that is part of a larger trend I think ... though a trend seen in Disney movies too with Moana and Ray in The Force Awakens and Jyn in Rougue One

Fully agree with the fact there are likely multiple factors

Not sure if Wonder Woman specifically had anything to do with it - but that is part of a larger trend I think ... though a trend seen in Disney movies too with Moana and Ray in The Force Awakens and Jyn in Rougue One

Fully agree with the fact there are likely multiple factors

I think the plan to change the scene in Pirates with the red head as a woman pirate has probably been in the works for awhile, but the timeline is odd, especially since DL just had a refurbishment. Based on how Disney responded to the unexpected success of Frozen, I wouldn't be surprised to see them answer the success of Wonder Woman with something to capitalize on the trend by moving the timetable up for the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter