WDW resort going forward

I would have thought that a DVC expansion at the Contemporary had a high probability of being next after the Poly. That South Garden Wing is just begging for the same treatment that replaced the North wing.

I would have thought that a DVC expansion at the Contemporary had a high probability of being next after the Poly. That South Garden Wing is just begging for the same treatment that replaced the North wing.

I agree, and I also would love to stay in a tee pee out on bay lake. Hear that? It's the sound of my DVC ownership becoming more valuable.

That WAS on the table but apparently the ground isn't suited for building another tower. It would require too much work ($$$) to prepare the ground for building.

Disney is at a point in management where they would rather spend small amounts of money like converting existing rooms to DVC for short term gains. Expansions in parks are for long term gains. Disney is only looking at short term gains right now.

I wonder if this management style is what is being taught today because I have personally seen this in other corporations. It is no longer about continuing to build upon your success, but rather collect the profits they are getting at the time. Spending big $$$ = RISK. Maybe the risk will pay off, but sometimes those profits take a few years to be fully realized. They don't like any risk and they don't like waiting for the money.

I wonder if this management style is what is being taught today because I have personally seen this in other corporations. It is no longer about continuing to build upon your success, but rather collect the profits they are getting at the time. Spending big $$$ = RISK. Maybe the risk will pay off, but sometimes those profits take a few years to be fully realized. They don't like any risk and they don't like waiting for the money.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

If it's not in the next quarterly report, then nobody cares. This is how mature, successful companies start to atrophy and become takeover targets.

While, as a DVC member, I am glad to hear they are continuing to develop more options et al but I would also like to see them developing the attractions too. I mean, one of the things that helped sell the DVC to us was that Disney always had a history of ever changing, new attractions and so on. It gives that extra incentive to even want to keep coming back. Don't get me wrong, i'm never going to turn down a Disney visit, new attraction or not, i'm an uberDisneyFan but it would be nice and exciting to have something new to enjoy every few years!

How many people would actually not return because nothing has changed besides getting a new hotel or a new hard ticket event?

Still, they are putting in the much needed work over on the Disney Springs concept so I guess that is exciting too.

Perhaps as fans we expect too much sometimes?

If it's not in the next quarterly report, then nobody cares. This is how mature, successful companies start to atrophy and become takeover targets.

Spot on. It's part of the reason Disney has been in the news as a takeover target recently.

. . . The next DVC resort will be Wilderness lodge and yes it already has DVC but they will take exiting rooms and be converting them to DVC. FW, and the rumored epcot DVC isn't happening. They will be converting large rooms of the main building to DVC rooms $150 rooms are not in disneys business plan. DVC right now is everything for Disney. They are also planning infrastructure work. redo of artist point, expanding the pool deck, and adding a new concierge lounge. And here is the kicker right now some plans have for 10 over water bungalows at WL that will look sort of like teepees.

1) Most if this seems to be accurate.
2) While having "bull sessions" during employee meetings, this is the current babble about WL.
3) With the reduction in WL Front Desk staffing and further reductions due to DVC, many of us are not happy.

Any idea when construction at WL will start? We are planning on going back to WDW next November and were going to try the CR, but we LOVE WL and would be disappointed if it was then years of construction before we'd be able to go back and enjoy it.

vandy said:

ABSOLUTELY!!
I hate the new corporate business environment. I work for a large chemical company. They are no longer interested in innovations and research, that want us to magically pull fabulous ideas out of our you know what in 2 weeks.
We've got chemist, researchers and biologist leaving in droves because the company is only interested in the bottom line

Plus more DVC equals less housekeeping cost.:rolleyes:

Any rooms (points) that aren't sold can be rented out by Disney, just as if they were standard hotel rooms. So even if they don't sell, Disney can still make money off of it until they DO sell.

It all fits with what they've been doing lately:
  • It raises cash up front, and increases predictable income flow YTY

Decreases the expense line with dues/maintenance fees now alloc'd to those units.

They can decrease expense outlays for eveything from Mousekeeping head count to laundry related utilities since DVC units don't get daily service

It takes the rooms off the Hotel Occupancy Rate grid, increasing their Occupancy percentage which is one of the things the Analysts have beating them up about. A unit 100% sold is 100% occupied. For units 60% sold they only have that 40% to fulfill with hotel reservations to hit targets

DVC owners are, of course, locked in - but also stay for longer durations than the avg hotel guests

As long as they can keep selling them at a high rate and this conversion experiment is successful.......

Let's just put it this way, the timeshare/DVC business fits everything Disney wants to do at WDW and is way more predictable, cost effective, and profitable than the Hotel business - as long as they hit the sales targets necessary.

Any idea when construction at WL will start? We are planning on going back to WDW next November and were going to try the CR, but we LOVE WL and would be disappointed if it was then years of construction before we'd be able to go back and enjoy it.

No timetable yet besides the pool starting to go under construction.

Everything has a saturation point. There are only so many people in the world who can afford the "Disney Experience." With their total vacation cost going up Rooms, food, tickets and other things. It makes it hard to afford it.

Everything has a serration point. There are only so many people in the world who can afford the "Disney Experience." With their total vacation cost going up Rooms, food, tickets and other things. It makes it hard to afford it.

DVC is actually much more affordable in the long run, if you can afford the $$ upfront.

So whats everyone's opinion will WL have construction in 2015? Booking my trip for November 2015 next week and want to avoid construction.
Will increasing the number of dvc rooms drive the dvc price down a bit? More sales will be needed to get people to sign contracts and fill those rooms. We would love to do it. But upfront cost would drain our savings also hard to know what are vacations will be like in 30 years.

Any rooms (points) that aren't sold can be rented out by Disney, just as if they were standard hotel rooms. So even if they don't sell, Disney can still make money off of it until they DO sell.

This is true in theory, but renting DVC from Disney is a lot more expensive then renting from other DVC owners or from a DVC rental company. Disney may eventually be forced to reduce rates on their DVC rentals and sales to guarantee heads in beds. This would not be good for DVC owners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter