WDW resort going forward

I want to discuss the future of the WDW resort based on what the spirit on wdwmagic is reporting. He is very reputable when it comes to these things most recently got the new restaurant replacing kouzzina right.

1. Disney is done with building new deluxes unless new management changes that.
2. Disney's biggest DVC expansion is starting and its not where you think.

3. Disney is not reaching capacity on its resorts, so rooms are going to start to leave.

4. Flamingo Crossing isn't happening Disney has thrown in the towel.

The next DVC resort will be Wilderness lodge and yes it already has DVC but they will take exiting rooms and be converting them to DVC. FW, and the rumored epcot DVC isn't happening. They will be converting large rooms of the main building to DVC rooms $150 rooms are not in disneys business plan. DVC right now is everything for Disney. They are also planning infrastructure work. redo of artist point, expanding the pool deck, and adding a new concierge lounge. And here is the kicker right now some plans have for 10 over water bungalows at WL that will look sort of like teepees.

OP, I know you are just relaying information from wdwmagic, but does anyone know exactly what this particular bolded part would entail? I know CBR is undergoing a renovation of the whole resort, and as far as I have been able to tell, the room count is not going down. Would this statement then be referencing deluxe resorts? I'm just curious.

Honestly, for how often we go, we prefer the Mods. We sometimes even do Values, as DS5 & DS7 really like them. We are Floridians and AP passholders, so it works for us.

Even DVC has a limit. Disney can't just continue to sell more and more DVC and expect to increase profits forever.

Plus staff is disappearing. Part of the Disney "magic" was always the service and interaction with CM's. I don't like hearing that they are gradually disappearing.

OP, I know you are just relaying information from wdwmagic, but does anyone know exactly what this particular bolded part would entail?

It's rumored that Disney is looking at coverting rooms at other deluxe resorts to DVC - primarily Beach Club & Yacht Club. It's also in the rumor mill that rooms in the Trinidad south section of CBR may be converted to DVC units.

DVC is actually much more affordable in the long run, if you can afford the $$ upfront.
You have been drinking too much Disney Kool-Aid! If you look at what you pay up front, how much you pay each year in maintenance fees and the fact that at the end investment has 0 value and compare that to investing what you paid up front in the markets and paying out-of-pocket each year you would come out about even.

There's been on and off speculation that Apple may want to acquire Disney.
Oh Lord, Buddha, Allah, the Prophets, Kali, & whoever else, "Noooooooo!" Hoping this is someone's delusional speculation. :/

And I cry "shenanigans" on this one. I don't think Apple could really pull it off.

Oh Lord, Buddha, Allah, the Prophets, Kali, & whoever else, "Noooooooo!" Hoping this is someone's delusional speculation. :/

And I cry "shenanigans" on this one. I don't think Apple could really pull it off.

Yes, this is someone's delusional speculation. Don't worry.

There's been on and off speculation that Apple may want to acquire Disney.

Apple makes computers

Disney makes movies, toys, stories, theme parks, shows, etc.

Apple is already one of the largest companies in the world and so is disney. Combine the two and it would be incredibly massive. It also would probably be the most expensive buy out ever and would create the largest company in the world. Would the US government allow that? Is Disney hurting that much where they need to be bought? Are they losing money? No. Are they making fans unhappy? Are they expanding their parks how fans think they should? Is Disney focused on making the most money possible. Yes.

You have been drinking too much Disney Kool-Aid! If you look at what you pay up front, how much you pay each year in maintenance fees and the fact that at the end investment has 0 value and compare that to investing what you paid up front in the markets and paying out-of-pocket each year you would come out about even.

Todays DVC isn't worth it. DVC from its inception to early 2000s was very good and was a great investment. You really did see a difference and vacations were sort of paying for themselves. Todays DVC is more expensive and not wort it as much. I do not think however that DVC has 0 value. With Dvc you get a lot of things. The points you pay for can be used at any DVC resort, around the world, and on a cruise. The rooms are also bigger and have more things, DVC villas are better than a standard moderate or deluxe room. We are paying just under 5000 for our trip to a garden view room at POR including airfare and dining. if we were to pay that for 50 years. That is 250000. If I buy into DVC at like a 100 points I would never end up paying close to 250000 even with yearly fees and other things. There is value in it still just not as much as there used to be.

Quick update.

Disney will not touch the coronado springs or the yacht club when it comes to DVC because of the convention business they do not want to hurt that. Beach club will most likely get more DVC rooms.

Now with coronado being mentioned that means Disney is really looking into adding DVC to moderate resorts. No word yet if this would lead to a different DVC model but one would think so because they are not deluxe resorts.

Now with coronado being mentioned that means Disney is really looking into adding DVC to moderate resorts. No word yet if this would lead to a different DVC model but one would think so because they are not deluxe resorts.

I certainly hope they leave Port Orleans French Quarter alone. Given that it's the most popular moderate, maybe it will be spared.

Actually Comcast nearly did a hostile takeover around 2004

In hindsight, it might actually have been postive for Disney if Comcast had been successful with the merger. At the time it was happening, I was thinking it would be a disaster. But given Comcast's willingness to put lots of cash into Universal, we may have had a much different Walt Disney World today with investments in new attractions in the theme parks.

If the executives at WDW really want to fill rooms they need to start putting more money into the parks. New Fantasyland is fine and the MyMagic+ system is great and all but we need more. The oft rumored Star Wars and Carsland additions at DHS would definitely bring in some crowds and fill up hotel rooms. The more and better attractions that are added to WDW will certainly increase attendance and demand for hotel room on every level from Deluxe to Value and everything in between.

I agree. We're DVC members but find we're heading to Universal more lately than Disney. IMO, Disney dropped the ball with the new Fantasyland. It's a nice little addition, but there is no 'wow' factor and no real innovation. Disney used to lead the way, but now seems to be content to just play it safe.

The points you pay for can be used at any DVC resort, around the world, and on a cruise. The rooms are also bigger and have more things, DVC villas are better than a standard moderate or deluxe room. We are paying just under 5000 for our trip to a garden view room at POR including airfare and dining. if we were to pay that for 50 years. That is 250000. If I buy into DVC at like a 100 points I would never end up paying close to 250000 even with yearly fees and other things. There is value in it still just not as much as there used to be.

According to a friend of mine who owns DVC, there is never availability at other resorts. So they have to remain at their home resort. On the other hand Disney has DVC rentals available at all DVC properties, if you pay for it. Also, if you own DVC free dining is not available to you.

You are paying $5000 for your trip, but you don't mention length of stay and you're including dining and airfare in your total cost. But what is the actual price of your lodging? I think it would be more accurate to multiply your lodging by 50 years and then compare it with DVC.

According to a friend of mine who owns DVC, there is never availability at other resorts. So they have to remain at their home resort. On the other hand Disney has DVC rentals available at all DVC properties, if you pay for it. Also, if you own DVC free dining is not available to you.

You are paying $5000 for your trip, but you don't mention length of stay and you're including dining and airfare in your total cost. But what is the actual price of your lodging? I think it would be more accurate to multiply your lodging by 50 years and then compare it with DVC.

I can help with that. I don't argue with anyone on dvc, to each his own. its not the cheapest way and people can argue over the word "investment" and its meaning I don't care. but here is what I have experienced with the numbers:
take our initial investment, remember,back then cbr was $80 per night rack rate. we bought 400 points.figure our yearly fees, add and divide it by 40 years and it comes to, round it up it $3000.00 per year for 40 years. yes, my fees will go up but so will the rates of any hotel room. how much is it today to stay at cbr per night? that is the main point to dvc. 15 years ago I gambled the prices were going to go up and guess what?
now, for 400 point per year to give you an idea, I can stay in a one bedroom for at least 20 nights per year. cheaper then all star sports? no. but when I stay at cbr, I would put $40 into the washer and dryers. I would spend a lot of money on some Danishes and fruit cups for breakfast. we have breakfast in the room. we also have lunch in the room. I save a small fortune on food. now, I don't spend every second in the parks. a lot of people do and if I were a newbie I would to. we like okw. never had a problem making a resi. we are planners, I make my resis 7 months out. I have stayed at Saratoga, okw, bay lake,boardwalk and now trying beach club.
so if someone can get me a 1 bedroom for at least 20 (It is more like 25) nights per year for less, let me know. without paying and relying on another dvc member who I don't know to make my resi for me.
so in a nut shell, we are ap holders which dvc members save $100 per pass per year and we drive so I spend $500 per year in gas. we make adrs for every night on our vacations and make two trips per year. I spend about $2800 per year on our trips for food etc..... don't need a meal plan. so lets add it up, two trips per year, 12 nights per trip on average. (all figures per year not per trip) $3000 for room, $2800 for food, $900 for aps, $500 for transportation. that come to $7200 per year. cheap? no.
now ill get the "but it was cheaper when you bought then now" correct but so was everything. gas food etc..... wages were lower also. im paying 1999 rates for my 1 bedroom. if you bought today, you would be saying the same thing in 15 years.

I rarely stay at my home resorts. I find things to almost always be available.

Not this again. Where's Monkey Mouse?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter