• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We did it again! Family of 4 eats for $75 a day. Read all about it, plus reviews!

Status
Not open for further replies.
majortom said:
Did he say: "I am glad that some people do not tip, because I am only interested in my average tip and if everyone tipped me fairly, I would make too much money?" Obviously not. His point was that as a server one should not stress over those that tip poorly. That does not justify tipping poorly.

Retail businesses price their products so that they are profitable even after some level of theft and breakage occurs. Saying that: "It is ok for me to take an item without paying, since they count on some being stolen" is a similar (if someone more extreme) attitude.

/carmi

Do you tip the person that rings you out, or the person that stocked the shelves. Just as a note, I do always tip, I tip an average of 15 percent, sometimes more sometimes less, it is my choice though not a requirement. However, I was much more into tipping before I was a cook and made 8 dollars an hour working my butt off in a 120 degree kitchen while the scatter brained waitresses easily pulled in $100 a night plus their 7 dollars an hour, I have since found out just how many waitress don't make sub minumum wage like they used too.

I have always loved this board, it got me to Disney when I was poor, it gets me there now, I have learned alot here however, now there are too may uptite people here, even the op said she wasn't sure if she should post this cause she got flamed last time, well it happened again, show how we reward those who share ideas.

majortom said:
You presume that every server cheats on his or her taxes. If not, they are required to pay on that just like everyone else. At many high-end restaurants (and at many in vacation/convention areas like Disney), servers receive a large majority of their tips from credit card charges and so would not be able to cheat on their taxes even if they wished to do so.

Finally, it does not matter how much they make. They take their jobs based on an expectation as to what they will earn. You may that someone doing that job should not earn that much. You have a right to your opinion. What you do not have a right to do is take a seat from someone that will reward them as they (and Disney) expect.

/carmi

Oh yes I do, as a Disney Patron I have every right to take that seat in what ever restaruant I choose, again it is not the waitstaff that would decide if I eat there or not.

Also that did not assume that they cheated on their taxes, that assumed they paid them however I am sure many of them do, now this argument is getting extremely stupid. Now I am defending myself.

mejo said:
Do you tip the person that rings you out, or the person that stocked the shelves. Just as a note, I do always tip, I tip an average of 15 percent, sometimes more sometimes less, it is my choice though not a requirement. However, I was much more into tipping before I was a cook and made 8 dollars an hour working my butt off in a 120 degree kitchen while the scatter brained waitresses easily pulled in $100 a night plus their 7 dollars an hour, I have since found out just how many waitress don't make sub minumum wage like they used too.

I have always loved this board, it got me to Disney when I was poor, it gets me there now, I have learned alot here however, now there are too may uptite people here, even the op said she wasn't sure if she should post this cause she got flamed last time, well it happened again, show how we reward those who share ideas.

Yes, we get you have a problem with these stupid women servers who make more money than you. Sorry we no longer live in the Neanderthalic ages.

Conservative Hippie said:
Um...that poster was a woman...

Well, then SHE has a problem with other women who make more money than her because in every post she has referred to servers as waitresses and made coments about how they made more money than her. Whatever the resent towards servers SHE has does not seem to carry over toward the male ones.

In fact, it makes it more disturbing that this female poster has so much resentment toward other women who she deems should make less money than her because she has a master's degree. So, the problem is not gender bias but an educational bias, does that make it better?

When I tip I never take into consideration how many kids that server has or what kind of income that server lives off of.

I ONLY consider the level of service I was given, nothing else matters to me. It would be unfair to take in other considerations. It would be like giving a HORRIBLE server a big tip because she only works part time and has ten kids, and giving a GREAT server a small tip because she lives at home with rich parents.

That being said.
1. If I ate(no matter how bad the service), it means that I was "served" and my server has at least earned a small tip.
2. It would take a car wash or even a shoe shine b4 I tip over 20% on a $200 dinner.

Anewman said:
When I tip I never take into consideration how many kids that server has or what kind of income that server lives off of.

I ONLY consider the level of service I was given, nothing else matters to me. It would be unfair to take in other considerations. It would be like giving a HORRIBLE server a big tip because she only works part time and has ten kids, and giving a GREAT server a small tip because she lives at home with rich parents.

That being said.
1. If I ate(no matter how bad the service), it means that I was "served" and my server has at least earned a small tip.
2. It would take a car wash or even a shoe shine b4 I tip over 20% on a $200 dinner.

20% is a good tip. You shouldn't feel the need to tip more than that.

chobie said:
Yes, we get you have a problem with these stupid women servers who make more money than you. Sorry we no longer live in the Neanderthalic ages.

If you read through my post you will see that most times I refer to waitstaff in this post I referred to my experience those were waitresses. Also, someone that has less education than me should make less than me , its only common sense and I'm sure you would feel the same way.

You need to get a grip on reality. Also don't forget to tip 20 percent to the next checker at the grocery store and the window person at Mcdonalds and of course everybody at Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anewman

That being said.

Very good post, I agree but I think 15 percent is a perfect starting point, that again is just my opionion.

mejo said:
If you read through my post you will see that most times I refer to waitstaff in this post I referred to my experience those were waitresses. Also, someone that has less education than me should make less than me , its only common sense and I'm sure you would feel the same way.

You need to get a grip on reality. Also don't forget to tip 20 percent to the next checker at the grocery store and the window person at Mcdonalds and of course everybody at Walmart.

:rolleyes: It doesn't take a master's degree to figure out that the checker at the grocery store, and the other employees you mentioned do not get paid sub minimumwage, nor do they get taxed on the assumed tips.

Common sense tells me that people that work hard should make as much as they can make whether they have an education or not. Getting a degree does not entitle you to anything more than that piece of paper. I'm currently working on a graduate degree and I do not resent others who will make more than me who don't have an education.

NvrBnToWDW said:
Well, we did this last year and I didn't think we could do it again, but I was wrong. I didn't say no to anything and we ate until satisfied every day for an average of $75. Some days were under and some over, so I averaged the total for the week. We spent $525.68 (including tips and tax) and averaged over 7 days is $75.09 per day :teacher: . Now, when I wrote our meals last year, I got a lot of flaming feedback :sad2: about our food choices, and hopefully it doesn't happen again. Yes, we ate a lot of chicken, burgers and pizza, but hey, it's DisneyWorld! We are a one-income family with a $20 a week dining out budget and the other 3-meals a day, 6-days a week, I'm the one cooking :stir: . And we are very healthy and eat healthy. We do the whole 3-a-day dairy, whole grains only, fruit and veggies with every meal and all that good stuff. So, it's part of the magic :wizard: of Disney to eat out junk for a whole week. And you'll see one of my sons eat pizza about every day :banana: , and it's a big treat for him. At home, I make the pizza with whole wheat dough, low-fat cheese and wheat germ in the crust. So, to tell you the truth, if it means a whole week without me cooking and washing the dishes :cheer2: , I really don't care what they eat. Let them eat cake! (for breakfast if they want) :thumbsup2

FAMILY:

DH: 30 YEARS
ME: 28 YEARS
DS1: 12 YEARS
DS2: 10 YEARS

I never planned on this amount, I figured closer to $100 per day, but both trips it just came out that way. I actually didn't figure out the prices till we got home and I added up our receipts.

DAY ONE (SATURDAY):

Lunch: Planet Hollywood

2 Kid's Chicken Crunch w/fries $15.90
Me & DH shared:
1 Chicken Crunch appetizer 8.45
1 BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger w/fry 11.95
1 Cola 2.75
3 ice waters 0
$45.59

Dinner: Everything POP

1 Large Pepperoni Pizza $15.38
2 Rice Krispy Treats 5.38
1 Choc. chip cookie 1.89

SATURDAY'S TOTAL========================$69.71

REVIEWS:
Planet Hollywood-The atmosphere was great, plenty of memorabilia to look at. A little scary to see automobiles hanging above you suspended from cables while you eat. Now, I had heard a lot about the chicken strips and they were way overrated. None of us like the flavor of the breading, a little too sweet for our tastebuds, but the BBQ burger was excellent! The sauce was delicious! The fries were okay, kind of bland. A took a little long to be served.

POP-The pizza took forever, apparently they forgot to put the order in and just kept making the individual sizes. I stood there for 25 minutes and got a pizza with crispy, (burned) pepperonis, but I wasn't about to wait for them to make another. So, we just ate it, despite the top it was good, or we were just very hungry.

For real? You got flamed for your food choices? Kinda sad really. :rotfl: Man, I will just keep to myself what WE plan to eat lol....no I won't SUGAR, SUGAR then some greasy whatever I want. Then when I am full I am going to wash it all down with some ice cold sugary coke....Mmmm'm. :woohoo:

pepperw23 said:
For real? You got flamed for your food choices? Kinda sad really. :rotfl: Man, I will just keep to myself what WE plan to eat lol....no I won't SUGAR, SUGAR then some greasy whatever I want. Then when I am full I am going to wash it all down with some ice cold sugary coke....Mmmm'm. :woohoo:

They didn't get flamed. They just had one or two posters point out that they did not eat any vegetables their enitre trip and that though it worked for the OP, most people would not be able to eat on such little money if it meant skipping basic food groups and subsisting on shared hamburgers.

tiggergirlinMI said:
I thought it was cool how you were able to eat on 75 a day....I am amazed also how some people I swear read the thread just to critique your daily choices and then the tips???? Just too much, people are too much! Since when did we start criticizing someone's food reviews? I agree that the average tip I leave is between 15-20 depending on the attentiveness of the server BUT hate to tell some of you that some people are still doing the 10 percent thing.
This report was not asking for people to ADD UP HER DAILY TOTALS and then figure out how much she spent on a tip??? lol
I am amazed at how much extra time people have on their hands! Maybe a hobby might help? Sorry, but I thought some people were a bit rude to the OP and it was not very nice.
The OP was sharing something with us and some of you flamed her over tips.
LOVED this report and how you were able to do it so inexpensively!
Glad you had a great time!

The problem is probably much larger than needing a hobby. I learned in my psych class that most people that offer unsolicited advice have very low self esteem, or other issues in their lives that they can not control. They often use such judgments to build themselves up, both in their own minds and in the eyes of others. Sadly, most will never see it in themselves.

To the OP (if you are still here) loved your posts!

pepperw23 said:
The problem is probably much larger than needing a hobby. I learned in my psych class that most people that offer unsolicited advice have very low self esteem, or other issues in their lives that they can not control. They often use such judgments to build themselves up, both in their own minds and in the eyes of others. Sadly, most will never see it in themselves.

One psychology class and you can diagnose people based on on a comment or two posted on a internet forum?

So that's what my problem is- I always wondered all those years! Thank goodness you posted that- I can now be completely confident and no longer suffer from low self esteem (and tip waiters 5 % for good service). Glad that's cleared up! I feel better already- maybe I'll even get myself a hobby!

pepperw23 said:

Wow that is harsh.

Just becaus no one soliceted the OPs advice on how to feed a family of 4 under $75 does not mean she has issues that big. :cool1:

chobie said:
One psychology class and you can diagnose people based on on a comment or two posted on a internet forum?

"diagnose", I thought she was just giving more advice. :cool1:

quick note, I didn't single anyone out. You singled yourselves out though. Bottom line is this. OP was just starting a fun thread. She did not ask to be bashed, if you guys want to bash on me instead of her for a while, have at it. I guess the truth really does hurt.

ya know tink, I actually was not trying to single anyone out. Honestly I felt sorry for the OP and felt the need to take up for her. Then I remembered that class I took. I guess I probably should have kept that one to myself. I apologize if anyone was offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter