We were "that" family

There was a stray cat that we used to like to feed way back, in our old house. For some reason we named her "Mom" -- Well my Dad was in the middle of a gift shop in the magic kingdom when he said (in our family's customary loud Italian voice) "Man, I haven't fed Mom in over a week" -- needless to say, we got some interesting looks from those around us ;)

My brother also accidentally threw a baguette at some lady in Epcot. It was aimed for me but he... uh... missed. She was okay, though! She laughed it off (as did we)

On our very first trip as a family of three we had a couple of family fun lol

We were in the Rainforest Café, enjoying a nice dinner, DDthen4 had to use the bathroom. I totally forgot about the self flush thing and it did it while she was on the pot. That kid came straight off the toilet, dropped her shorts and underwear, slithered under the door and proceeded to run out into the dining room screaming "The potty tried to eat me, the potty tried to eat me" at the top of her lungs. My DH saw her hauling naked butt thru the dining room and grabbed her. Meanwhile, I picked my jaw up, composed myself, grabbed those pants, was trying to get out there as quick as possible, people were like, what just happened??? Needless to say, we threw her clothes on her, and made a hasty exit with the sobbing kid. The whole boat ride back to the resort she sobbed and told her story to anyone she could see. Oy.

This is hysterical! :rotfl2:I hope you are able to laugh now. I am sorry it happened to you but it does make for a very entertaining story! :rotfl:
I remember when my son who was around 2-3 at the time, he would try to hold it and I would have a hard time convincing him of using a public toilet because of those loud self flushing toilets. I figured out how to stand with my hand over the sensor to keep it from flushing until he was done and out of the stall. Then I would flush it.

OH yes, magical Disney moments we have had -

- large crowd at Epcot Character Spot, our 4 year old boy having his picture taken with Pluto. Pluto leans down to take a picture and the 4 year old screams out "Pluto touched my private place". You could have heard a pin drop. Poor Pluto.

- Same trip, same 4 year old at the Port Orleans French Quarter bus stop at night. It was our first family trip with an ECV , first time getting it off the bus, so DH was watching me to make sure I got the ECV off the bus okay, he gets off, 4 year old doesn't get off the bus. Bus pulls away to stop at all the Riverside stops. Parents get hysterical.

- 2 year old grandbaby loves the elevator. Loves to randomly push the buttons if not stopped. Every time an elevator door opens, he runs on. Lost him twice when get he runs onto an empty elevator and pushes the buttons. Everybody freaks out.

- Family rule #1 is no whining at Disney. We are waiting for the ferry at the close of Magic Kingdom one night. Everyone is tired and cranky. I have reminded the group about Disney rule 1 a few times already. One grandson begins the whine I turn around and say, Rule 1 and 3 year old grandson says "That means stop the freaking whining"! Except he uses the real F word at the top of his lungs. Unfortunately, people laugh, so 3 year old files that one away to repeat many more times throughout the trip.

- Same potty mouth 3 year old grandson at Epcot begins the potty dance. I ask him if he needs to go potty, he says okay and whips it out. I scream, no not here. Hold it until we can get to a bathroom. So he literally is holding "it" and I have to tell him to put it back in his pants.

- Same 3 year old while stuck on the monorail finally screams "I need a drink, dammit". A fellow passenger screams back "Me too".
This is BEYOND HILARIOUS! Thank you so much for sharing!

Well there was my morbid fear of the country bear Jamboree. Oddly the bears were ok but the heads on the wall especially Buff, really freaked me out. It was a decapitated hairy beast head which moves with no foreseeable method of locomotion! I was a 6 year old girl in a Cinderella dress! It wasn't until the heads were posted on a wall by the mile long bar (or tall tales Café) that I got over that fear when I could pet them and see they were nice and not ferocious animal spirits! :P But Until then I had nightmares of them being in my garage!

On our very first trip as a family of three we had a couple of family fun lol

We were in the Rainforest Café, enjoying a nice dinner, DDthen4 had to use the bathroom. I totally forgot about the self flush thing and it did it while she was on the pot. That kid came straight off the toilet, dropped her shorts and underwear, slithered under the door and proceeded to run out into the dining room screaming "The potty tried to eat me, the potty tried to eat me" at the top of her lungs. My DH saw her hauling naked butt thru the dining room and grabbed her. Meanwhile, I picked my jaw up, composed myself, grabbed those pants, was trying to get out there as quick as possible, people were like, what just happened??? Needless to say, we threw her clothes on her, and made a hasty exit with the sobbing kid. The whole boat ride back to the resort she sobbed and told her story to anyone she could see. Oy.
. No video?! Lol

I think it's impossible to go to WDW and not be "that family" at least once, lol. This thread has been hilarious.

On my DD's first trip she was about 14 months and developed a sudden fear of characters in the middle of the Cape May breakfast. She was nervous with Minnie, but when Goofy came up and bear hugged her from behind, she really freaked out! After she calmed down, Donald approached with caution. She screamed bloody murder and tried to dive out of the high chair. Literally. I caught her just before she and the chair hit the ground. We left until she calmed down then reentered with a note not to have any more visits to our table. Well the characters must have changed shifts, either that or Minnie had a sadistic streak, because she returned to the table and tried to play peak a boo with DD who became panic stricken again.

When DD was 4 we went to DL and she picked our morning in Fantasyland to suddenly become afraid of the dark. Well most of the rides are in the dark, so this worked out not so well. We were trying to load into Mr. Toad and she panicked. DH was holding her and I had gotten in the car first to receive her, but when she panicked she started to thrash. She hit me in the nose with her head and gave me a nosebleed. Poor DH panics too and exits with her thinking I'm following. Nope, the CMs didn't realize what had happened and assumed I had just decided to ride without them, so off my car goes into the ride as I frantically search for something to keep my nose from bleeding on anything.

These are priceless! Have read through the entire 17 pages (have read many of the posts aloud to my family) and we are all LOL! We have never been 'that family' but I have been 'that Mom'. A word of encouragement -- my spirited nephew is better now that he's grown.

I think it's impossible to go to WDW and not be "that family" at least once, lol. This thread has been hilarious.

On my DD's first trip she was about 14 months and developed a sudden fear of characters in the middle of the Cape May breakfast. She was nervous with Minnie, but when Goofy came up and bear hugged her from behind, she really freaked out! After she calmed down, Donald approached with caution. She screamed bloody murder and tried to dive out of the high chair. Literally. I caught her just before she and the chair hit the ground. We left until she calmed down then reentered with a note not to have any more visits to our table. Well the characters must have changed shifts, either that or Minnie had a sadistic streak, because she returned to the table and tried to play peak a boo with DD who became panic stricken again.

When DD was 4 we went to DL and she picked our morning in Fantasyland to suddenly become afraid of the dark. Well most of the rides are in the dark, so this worked out not so well. We were trying to load into Mr. Toad and she panicked. DH was holding her and I had gotten in the car first to receive her, but when she panicked she started to thrash. She hit me in the nose with her head and gave me a nosebleed. Poor DH panics too and exits with her thinking I'm following. Nope, the CMs didn't realize what had happened and assumed I had just decided to ride without them, so off my car goes into the ride as I frantically search for something to keep my nose from bleeding on anything.

OH MY! What a trip! I can only imagine what it must have been like for you to ride with a nose bleed. AND I am picturing the scene when you finally do get off the ride with your hubby. I expect it would possibly start out with him being put off by you and mad that you had left him to deal with your DD while she was so upset while you just continued to go on the ride, not understanding that you did not have a choice in the manner!

If anyone is a fan of the television shows, "The Middle" or "Modern Family", you will probably agree with me that those shows remind me of this thread. There are all sorts of things the family has to deal with and I can see how all the stories on this thread could be used in some manner on the show. Too funny! I often wonder where the writers get their ideas, perhaps they are on the DIS!

Great thread! So never had issues with kids, just the so- called grown ups... Once upon a large family trip...

My SIL insisted we meet her sister to ride Splash Mtn. together. We get there and wait, and wait and wait. After an hour my SIL hears from sister- oh we stopped to watch a parade. No one is allowed to ride any other rides or leave the area. My step father has personal hissy fit (screaming at all of us) and goes to ride Splash by himself. He then joins group as if nothing happened. After 2 hours, SIL decides we can ride Big Thunder as her sister is no longer responding to frantic where are u texts. My bro and SIL have a huge fight about it so when line splits at Big Thunder everyone literally takes sides and half rides with bro and half rides with SIL. Her sister shows up 3 hours after scheduled meet time. No apology. Nothing. Grr....

Same trip. AK. One of the kids has said, want to ride EE twice. This is summer, so required some planning. Plan was rope drop, ride EE, grab Fastpass for second ride, then run to KS. My step father somehow does not understand this very simple plan and in front of EE is screaming at me and SIL how he wants to ride KS and he wants to ride it now and we never let him do what he wants. Yup, we have all been that family...

Great thread! So never had issues with kids, just the so- called grown ups... Once upon a large family trip...

My SIL insisted we meet her sister to ride Splash Mtn. together. We get there and wait, and wait and wait. After an hour my SIL hears from sister- oh we stopped to watch a parade. No one is allowed to ride any other rides or leave the area. My step father has personal hissy fit (screaming at all of us) and goes to ride Splash by himself. He then joins group as if nothing happened. After 2 hours, SIL decides we can ride Big Thunder as her sister is no longer responding to frantic where are u texts. My bro and SIL have a huge fight about it so when line splits at Big Thunder everyone literally takes sides and half rides with bro and half rides with SIL. Her sister shows up 3 hours after scheduled meet time. No apology. Nothing. Grr....

Same trip. AK. One of the kids has said, want to ride EE twice. This is summer, so required some planning. Plan was rope drop, ride EE, grab Fastpass for second ride, then run to KS. My step father somehow does not understand this very simple plan and in front of EE is screaming at me and SIL how he wants to ride KS and he wants to ride it now and we never let him do what he wants. Yup, we have all been that family...

Thanks for sharing SueDonym that it is not just kids that can be frustrating to vacation with. I hope the rest of the vacation went better.

Oh thank goodness - I thought it was only my kids who would probably kill each over who gets to push the elevator button. Some years we actually had to have assigned days. No less this was when we stayed at the GF. Sometimes I felt like the Beverly Hillbillies meet the Grand Floridian!

This is my 2 DS... the youngest starts running to the elevator as soon as we exit the room and the oldest is in chase and overtaking him as the youngest is screaming "I want to push the button". In the meantime I'm raising my voice for them to be quiet as people are likely STILL sleeping!!! So if we woke anyone, I am truly sorry!

I love that there are just as many adult meltdowns as kid ones! :rolleyes1

Picture this if you will: it's late at night, DH and I are in line at Beach Club Marketplace and I realize my room key isn't in my wallet (this was pre-magicband days). We hop out of line since I was going to pay with the room key charge. I start fishing through the backpack since I'm pretty sure I stuck it in there somewhere, meanwhile DH is having a fit because he's sure I lost it and it has CHARGING PRIVLEGES (his rant lol). He's got his hands full of food, he's yelling his head off, and I'm in tears (because I do that when he yells, I'm an emotional doofus). I'm working on taking absolutely everything out of the bag to find the stupid key, and at this point a guy standing nearby comes up and tells DH to keep it down. DH turns around with fire spitting from his eyes and says in this super low creepy voice, "I SUGGEST you mind your own business!" Poor guy scuttled away in a big hurry and a few seconds later I find the room key in the bottom of the bag.

Fast forward to the next morning, we see the same guy in the hall. DH is feeling really bad for scaring the poor dude, so he tries to apologize. Guy is like "it's fine it's fine", you can tell he's just trying to get away ASAP from what he obviously thinks is the crazy man who might hurt him any second. We had a leftover balloon and the guy had a kid in a stroller so DH wanted to give the kid the balloon. Poor dude is practically running down the hallway with his stroller and DH is chasing him with the balloon saying, "but I just want to give your son a balloon" over and over. Not our finest moments...

:jumping1:

On our first trip we we went to Belle's Tales and it took a little longer than I planned. We basically had to RUN with two umbrella strollers to the monarail in order to catch our Chef Mickey ADR time. My husband pretty much yelled at me the whole way. I screamed I'm doing the best I can and he said THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH! I think I said replied with not so Disney words. A nice couple offered to help us down the escalator and I was not in a good mood so I replied NO I GOT IT! poor guy was just trying to help.
The latest trip my MIL is extremely passive aggressive and she didn't like our meal choices for the kids at Pinochios. My DH and her got in a screaming fight during the christmas party and said HURRY UP KIDS AND EAT CAUSE WE ARE LEAVING!!. she pretty much ruined our whole evening and put a real cloud over our whole trip. Oh well it was on her dime.
Third times a charm, hopefully nothing will occur on our upcoming trip

She is also famous for the "if I can't do X, then I'm going to do Y" lines and resisting going to the bath room (which will be a huge issue there with the automatically flushing toilets).

If she doesn't like the automatic flush then take a few post-it notes in your pocket. Stick one over the sensor when you get in the cubicle and you have control over when it flushes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter