Wearing a dress to Disneyland?

I wore a dress once for a partial day. We had lunch reservations at Club 33, and I wanted to look nice. Afterwards, we hit a few rides, I think Splash MAY have been one of them. I did not wear shorts underneath. If you tuck your dress the right way, and don't bend over to touch your toes, you will be fine. I am actually considering a dress for our trip next month.

I thought about it and I think I can manage the rides ok, I just wondered about sitting around waiting for Fantasmic or World of Color. I may stick with dresses for nights after we see the beach and go to Downtown Disney, etc.

Depends on the kind of dress. I wear dresses most of the time, and especially at WDW and DL. But they're all Athleta dresses made from the kind of material that's quick drying. I wear them with really comfy Merrell mimosa emmes (athletic mary janes) or Reef ginger flip flops. The sunset dress and the nectar 2 are my favorite Athleta dresses, but they no longer sell the sunset and the nectar changed again his year. I've seen a fair number of the shorebreak dresses in the parks and Athleta still sells those.

I love a good skort!! :rotfl2:

I don't wear regular skirts or dresses to the park because negotiating the entrance and exit for some rides gets a little tricky.

I wore a long skirt (maxi-dress type) once to DL and it tore on a couple of the rides (Matterhorn pre-refurb and Splash Mountain). So, if you're going to go with skirt/dress, I'd suggest something that's not too long because it's easy to step on it or get it caught on ride parts. I also agree with everyone on the bike shorts/leggings or skorts. I'm not sure where you can buy skorts anymore, but I used to wear skorts all the time when I was younger and they were trendy.

I love Athleta's "Whatever Skort" for wearing to the parks. They are cute, light weight, don't wrinkle, and water beads up on it (although it will get soaked with lots of water). The shorts underneath are comfortable and I find they also help prevent chafing. I own 6 of them now in a variety of colors, and they are easily my favorite travel clothes. The "Whenever Skort" looks cute, too, but I don't own one (yet! ;)). I first discovered them when I was looking for something to wear when my son was a toddler that would help me feel a little more pulled together than shorts and a tshirt, but still let me chase him around the playground without worrying about flashing the rest of the park.

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=93758&vid=1&pid=683764102

me too ! I also have about 5 of the "sweet spot" skort. I pair both with yoga tops in the heat so I dont have to wear a shirt and bra !

I love Athleta's "Whatever Skort" for wearing to the parks. They are cute, light weight, don't wrinkle, and water beads up on it (although it will get soaked with lots of water). The shorts underneath are comfortable and I find they also help prevent chafing. I own 6 of them now in a variety of colors, and they are easily my favorite travel clothes. The "Whenever Skort" looks cute, too, but I don't own one (yet! ;)). I first discovered them when I was looking for something to wear when my son was a toddler that would help me feel a little more pulled together than shorts and a tshirt, but still let me chase him around the playground without worrying about flashing the rest of the park.

This is super cute! Thanks for sharing!

me too ! I also have about 5 of the "sweet spot" skort. I pair both with yoga tops in the heat so I dont have to wear a shirt and bra !

I do that too - a yoga top with a built-in bra plus the skort, and I'm comfortable all day. I've also bought a few nicer tops that I pair with my skorts and a pair of cute sandals for a date night with DH when we travel. I'll have to check out the sweet spot skorts...I think I'm getting addicted to Athleta's skorts! :rotfl:

I do that too - a yoga top with a built-in bra plus the skort, and I'm comfortable all day. I've also bought a few nicer tops that I pair with my skorts and a pair of cute sandals for a date night with DH when we travel. I'll have to check out the sweet spot skorts...I think I'm getting addicted to Athleta's skorts! :rotfl:

Happy to know I'm not alone in my Athleta addiction. And glad that others agree it's OK to own 5 different colors of the same item! I love how you can switch out the sandals on some Athleta dresses (maybe add some jewelry) and make them an entirely different outfits for date night.

As far as shorts underneath, if you are the type that need to wear shorts underneath then I wouldn't recommend the dress...I just stick to pants and shorts.

What does that mean? The type to need to wear shorts?

You've just posted on a thread with MANY women saying that they wear skirts and shorts underneath, right? Who LIKE wearing skirts and shorts underneath. This isn't button-up shorts, but just something to keep the unders from showing. Totally comfy. You get the breeziness from the skirt, without the possibility of flashing the unders to people while getting out of the Astro Orbiters ride.

And I don't think people here are talking about wear-to-work skirts, but comfy breezy ones that you might wear with flip flops or my fashion choice of running shoes and cute socks. (YES I miss the 90s when we got to wear sundresses, bike shorts, and tennis shoes...I don't miss high-waisted jeans, but the other look I miss terribly! SO COMFY!)

I wondered about bearette's comment, too. What does it mean? I wear dresses and skirts to the parks because it is my choice. I feel more comfortable in dresses and skirts. Not everyone wears leggings or shorts underneath for fashion. For some of us, it is because we want to be modest, whether it be due to personal preference or religious reasons.

While I don't wear skirts or dresses to DLR I DO wear them to work at the bar, and since I'm dancing most of the night I wear shorts underneath. In fact, I wore a really cute black and white skirt Saturday night, the kind that flares out when you spin in circles, I wore black Spanx underneath. So I guess I'm the "type that wears shorts with skirts". Whatever that means....LOL

Happy to know I'm not alone in my Athleta addiction. And glad that others agree it's OK to own 5 different colors of the same item! I love how you can switch out the sandals on some Athleta dresses (maybe add some jewelry) and make them an entirely different outfits for date night.

Athleta over spenders unite ! Last trip to WDW I had a skort, yoga top, and Chaco sandal outfit for each day. It was so fun and comfy. My favorite was my purple and red outfit ........

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I love Athleta's "Whatever Skort" for wearing to the parks. They are cute, light weight, don't wrinkle, and water beads up on it (although it will get soaked with lots of water). The shorts underneath are comfortable and I find they also help prevent chafing. I own 6 of them now in a variety of colors, and they are easily my favorite travel clothes. The "Whenever Skort" looks cute, too, but I don't own one (yet! ;)).

Thank you!! I went and looked at the web site and then found the only store in MD was only 10 minutes away! I bought a Whatever Skort today and may be back soon for a Whenever Skort.

Thank you!! I went and looked at the web site and then found the only store in MD was only 10 minutes away! I bought a Whatever Skort today and may be back soon for a Whenever Skort.

I'm so glad I could help! I was so happy to discover these skorts myself, and I've gotten so addicted to them that I practically live in them in the summer! I love that they are so easy for travel, too. I get a lot of compliments on mine...and I think I'm up to 7 different colors now! :rotfl: I like that Athleta rotates in a new color every now and then.

Ah this has turned into an Athleta thread. I am a big fan of their merch. They offer lots of great travel wear. I do like their summer skirts and breathable moisture wicking tops (and bras and undies) for my summer visits to Dland. These items are made from sports material that keeps you cool and dry in the heat and that work well when you get off GRR and you are drenched. I will never again wears jeans and a cotton T to Dland in the summer - it makes no sense.

So I bought one of the Wherever skorts that everyone's talking about. I like it. Only complaint is that the shorts under the skirt are slightly too short for me. But, the fabric is so nice and lightweight. Thanks to all of you who have been talking about these skorts. I love it!

the sweet spot skort ( for me in tall) is a more fitted silhouette , but also comfy. I do not order the tall in the "whatever" because it is too long ! I really like the bottom zip pocket in the SP. The whatever is so water repellant it is not that it dries quickly.....it just doesn't get wet. a miracle ! Paired with Chaco sandals and I just laugh and say bring on the water !

Just got back, and I wore my whatever skorts each day we were there. One strong argument for wearing a skort or bike shorts under your skirt is Luigi's Flying Tires! There is air blowing up from the ground as you get on and off, and DH was dying watching me try to keep my skirt down! We were laughing so hard by the time I made it off the attraction floor!

Also, we noticed in our ride photo from Splash that without my shorts underneath, that pic would have been part of the "Flash Mountain" collection!!

Thank goodness for cute skorts! :)

I actually went out and bought a cute dress for my upcoming trip because of this thread! Lol. I too will join the majority of you and wear shorts underneath....For me it's a personal preference. I keep thinking Im gonna trip at some point and eat dirt...haha...So I rather be safe than sorry but thats just me. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter