Weather Question

keaster

DIS Veteran
We are heading to Aulani next week (Yay!) We have been there twice in March, and this is our first trip in August.

I know it will be super hot. However, is it humid as well, like Florida humid in the summer? Or do the trade winds alleviate that?

It can get really humid in the city. My hair is usually a great indication of humidity and a couple of times in Waikiki in the summer I have to give up and let the curls come alive. I like to think of it as "beach hair" LOL

For me, Florida summer humidity (I have been to Orlando in June, Sept and Oct, not July or August) feels like I have a heavy blanket over me where as Hawaii isnt as bad as that in August, more like having a jacket on.

It does depend on where you are for trade winds as well. I know we were at Aulani in the summer a few years back and the air was very still which I found unusual for Hawaii but it might have been an anomaly. The pools make it fine though.

Have a blast!

I know it will be super hot. However, is it humid as well, like Florida humid in the summer? Or do the trade winds alleviate that?

Most of our visits to Hawaii are in winter, but I have been to Hawaii a couple of times in September as well. As long as the trades are blowing, it won't be too bad. If the trades die down, it can get HOT. Almost all resorts on the Hawaiian islands are on the leeward side, as that is the much drier side than the windward/rain forest sides of the islands.

Because the Hawaiian islands are very unique in the realm of meteorology, and there are SO many microclimates, the weather website I find much more accurate than ANY of the mainland's weather site's is:

https://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/oahu.php

I posted the link for Oahu for Hawaiiweathertoday, since you are asking for Aulani. :cutie: As you can see when you click on the link, you will then click on the part of the island for which you want the weather forecast. Weather on any given Hawaiian island will vary GREATLY from one part to another, even in the same time frame. ::yes::

Thank you! I've been to Florida in August, and it literally feels like walking into a steam sauna as soon as you leave your air conditioned room. I just didn't know if Hawaii is like that in summer as well!

I’m at Aulani now. Currently sitting by the lagoon. It’s hot but not humid. When you put a damp shirt on the balcony to dry, it’s actually dry by the next morning. Unlike in Florida, where things just seem to get wetter when you put them outside. Bring a lot of sunscreen, we’ve been here for a week tomorrow and have yet to see a drop of rain. It’s gorgeous, but definitely hot and sunny. Aloha!

Thank you! I've been to Florida in August, and it literally feels like walking into a steam sauna as soon as you leave your air conditioned room. I just didn't know if Hawaii is like that in summer as well!

The 2 times I have visited Hawaii in September, we had some hot weather to be sure, but I did not find it as humid as here at home in central FL. Thank the Lord! :joker:

’m at Aulani now. Currently sitting by the lagoon. It’s hot but not humid. When you put a damp shirt on the balcony to dry, it’s actually dry by the next morning. Unlike in Florida, where things just seem to get wetter when you put them outside. Bring a lot of sunscreen, we’ve been here for a week tomorrow and have yet to see a drop of rain. It’s gorgeous, but definitely hot and sunny. Aloha!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!! Isn't Aulani awesome?? Enjoy every moment! Aloha! :cutie:

We went through the the double hurricanes a few years ago at Aulani and they really did a great job of keeping everyone informed and safe so dont panic @keaster

It was sunny the morning of the day the hurricane came through and sunny the next day too

I would strongly suggest stocking up on some bottled water and basics just in case though

You might need to watch conditions for Hurricane Lane heading for Hawaii.

-Paul

We went through the the double hurricanes a few years ago at Aulani and they really did a great job of keeping everyone informed and safe so dont panic @keaster

It was sunny the morning of the day the hurricane came through and sunny the next day too

I would strongly suggest stocking up on some bottled water and basics just in case though

Good advice from both PP! I will say also not to panic because it is unusual for Hawaii to get a real "hit" from a hurricane. Storm systems have come close and have caused local flooding (sometimes serious, especially since Hawaii is prone to flash flooding anyway because of the mountains and the east sides of the islands being the rainy sides), and wind damage. Seems like Hurricane Iniki was the last hurricane to squarely hit a Hawaiian island and cause substantive damage in my recollection. And that was a LONG time ago that it hit Kauai.

I'm no meteorologist, but Hawaii has a very unique position in the Pacific and the way ocean currents and wind patterns wrap around the islands, many of the hurricanes that threaten seem to loom toward the Big Island and then turn at the last minute. NOT saying a hurricane is not a threat. I live in FL. It bears watching, and being alert and Alohamom's advice to have bottled water and basics is very good. I keep a small powerful flashlight in my carryon bag at all times. One never knows, right. :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter