We're going to Disney, but don't tell her...yet! Nov/Dec '17

ToyStory#1fan'sMom

Mouseketeer
A few months ago, maybe March (?), made the decision that it was time to take DD8 to Disney. Now, I've been twice, DH has been once, DS16 has been once. My first trip was as a teenager with my boyfriend and his family. Long time ago... Second trip was with DH and DS when DS was 5. Long time ago.... DD has never been a huge Disney fan (Mom failure). She's never liked the typical little girl things. She has always been about 10 years ahead of her actual age. Currently, she's very interested in makeup, dance routines, arts and crafts, and anything to do with dogs. But, I feel like every kid should get a trip to Disney. We've casually talked about it, she wants to go, but is a little concerned about not being "into" Princesses, etc.

DH and DS liked Disney, but the crowds are not their favorite thing. DS is a high school wrestler and that is our life from mid October through mid February. It dictates every weekend, two nights a week, and our diet every single day. We love it and it's exhausting all in one. With only two years left of high school, we have tried to be sure to attend every match and tournament and be very active in his high school career. This leaves DD as second fiddle for a good chunk of the year. So I came up with a crazy idea....a Disney trip during the first half of the season....weather would be more tolerable, we could see those holiday decorations that I've longed to see, DH and DS would stay home due to wrestling, and DD would be the center of attention for a little while. I called my mom and told her if she would get herself there (my parents live in Oregon), I'd treat her to the rest of the trip. She agreed and the planning started!

Who............My mom, my DD8, and myself will enjoy our first ever Girl's Trip!

When..........We're headed to WDW November 27-December 8. One of the biggest things I remember about our last WDW trip was how completely exhausted I was when it was over. We were there for 6 days, 5 nights and went non stop. So this time, a longer trip with some slower days and early nights. I'm excited to see the holiday decorations and enjoy the (hopefully) milder temps!

Why...........DD deserves some attention during a long wrestling season. DH and DS will hold down the fort at home and do handle all the wrestling responsibilities while we're gone.

I'm so excited to be able to do this with my mom and DD. I know my mom won't always be around and able to spend this kind of time away and in a theme park. I also realize that while the days are slow, the years go by fast. Soon DD won't be able to be out of school for two weeks and may not want to spend the time with me. Got to treasure the time I'm given.

Oh yeah...DD doesn't know we're going! I've decided to surprise her, not sure how we'll tell her, but more on that later!

Tentative plan...

Nov 26 Head to KCMO, American Girl doll store, spend night
Nov 27 Fly to Orlando, meet Mom (not telling DD that my mom is coming-going to let her surprise her!)
Nov 28 Magic Kingdom
Nov 29 Hollywood Studios/Animal Kingdom
Nov 30 EPCOT
Dec 1 Morning OFF-MVMCP in PM
Dec 2 Morning OFF-Animal Kingdom PM
Dec 3 Animal Kingdom
Dec 4 Grand Slam!
Dec 5 Magic Kingdom
Dec 6 Me-KTTK tour (Mom and DD sleep in) EPCOT in PM
Dec 7 Disney Springs
Dec 8 Monorail resort hop to see holiday decorations, fly out at night

We got in on free dining and have the QS plan since we're staying in a Family Suite at Art of Animation (gotta have those 2 bathrooms!) The following are the ADRs I have booked...

Dec 3 Lunch at BOG
Dec 4 Breakfast at BOG
Dec 4 Lunch at CRT
Dec 6 Lunch at Homecomin
Dec 8 Breakfast at Ohana

Crazy time with school starting and government agency audits all week...Done (for now) and can get back to daydreaming and planning!

With the announcement of the end of Express Transportation our plans changed some...Current plan is as follows...

Nov 26 Head to KCMO, American Girl doll store, spend night
Nov 27 Fly to Orlando, meet Mom (not telling DD that my mom is coming-going to let her surprise her!)
Nov 28 Magic Kingdom
Nov 29 Hollywood Studios/Animal Kingdom
Nov 30 EPCOT
Dec 1 Morning OFF-MVMCP in PM (me to EPCOT)
Dec 2 Morning OFF-Animal Kingdom PM
Dec 3 Magic Kingdom (morning only)
Dec 4 Animal Kingdom/Magic Kingdom (HEA dessert party)
Dec 5 Magic Kingdom/Animal Kingdom
Dec 6 Me-KTTK tour (Mom and DD sleep in) EPCOT in PM
Dec 7 Disney Springs/EPCOT
Dec 8 Monorail resort hop to see holiday decorations, fly out at night

We got in on free dining and have the QS plan since we're staying in a Family Suite at Art of Animation (gotta have those 2 bathrooms!) The following are the ADRs I have booked...

Dec 1 Le Cellier (solo dining!)
Dec 3 Lunch at BOG
Dec 4 Breakfast at BOG
Dec 4 Lunch at CRT/HEA Dessert party
Dec 6 Lunch at Homecomin
Dec 8 Breakfast at Ohana

Lots of time in Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. I'm trying to focus on certain aspects for each time we visit. For instance, not planning any kind of Pandora adventure until the 7th day of our trip-the first AK day will be about everything else-not Pandora. Thinking it will be easier to get the FP+ for what I want that way. I think to keep me organized and my thoughts complete I'll do a post on each day.

Day one-boring travel day....but ours won't be-it will be time to announce the surprise. What's the best way to do this? I kind of want to keep it simple just because of the logistics of getting everything packed, rental car, etc will be sending me over the edge anyway.

Once we tell her, we'll run get the rental car for the drive to Kansas City. I'm weird about leaving a car for two weeks. What if something happens to it and I can't get home. I'll have exhausted vacation brain and I don't need that stress! Renting a car here, returning at the airport in Kansas City and will do the same on the way home. Just works for me. It helps that I get an amazing discount through my work and have a ton of points from loyalty programs for work travel.

Okay, so now we have the car she knows-time to get on the road! Takes about three hours. We'll have lunch there and make a stop at the AG store. Then dinner at the hotel, order our Amazon Prime NOW groceries (just drinks), maybe swim if time, and BED!

So opinions-best way to announce to an 8 year old that loves surprised that we'll be leaving for Disney World in an hour???

I think I've decided how to tell her! Even though she discovered the truth about Santa this year she is still excited about her Elf on the Shelf to come back. We fully intend to continue with all traditions, the magic of it all is half the fun! So, Elfie will return the morning we are set to leave with a giant box. The box will have a note "Open at exactly 8:47". She loves the anticipation and it gives me a little bit of time. When she gets to open it, out will fly balloons with one tied to the collar of the stuffed Lady I got her with a note explaining the upcoming trip and that we're leaving in an hour! I know she will love it!

On to actually travel day....hotel has complimentary breakfast so we'll stop there for a bite before we leave for the airport. We'll drop off the rental and head to get checked in. This is the most stressful part of the whole thing for me! Turn in rental car, find counter, check 4 bags (with the "help" of only an 8 year old...bought luggage straps to connect and two will be mostly empty...still might only take 3...anyway), find gate...wait...board...relax...finally. I've heard of people taking 3 oz of adult beverage in their carry on...I might need to do the same....

We'll land about 3pm and my mom lands about 30 minutes later. DD doesn't know my mom is joining us. We'll take some time getting off the plane, bathroom break, and getting luggage (don't want to wait for them to bring it, so we'll carry on ME). Hopefully mom will be getting off her plane about then, if not, I can buy some time with DD. She won't notice. Once we meet up with her, DD will be beside herself-she LOVES her MeMom, we'll board ME (haven't decided if we'll grab her luggage, too or let them bring to us later?) I hope to be at the resort around 5. We'll unpack, settle in and have dinner. If not too tired thinking of heading over to one of the Character Warehouses.

Anyone ever shop at those? Worth an Uber over there?

Next up, first day at Magic Kingdom!!

Uggh...got the date for the Christmas play at church...it's smack dab in the middle of our trip. Tonight, DD had a complete meltdown about not getting to try our for a solo. She's had one the last two years. I told her we need to give others a chance. She was okay with that, but then wanted another "small" part. I told her we would probably be out of town...she said it would be the "worst day ever" if she's forced to miss it. I almost told her! But I held strong....won't go through it all...but it ended with a $20 in her pocket and a promise to not talk/whine/cry about it anymore....I really hope this all ends up worth it!

Up to next park day...was going to split the day between Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom...but after thinking about how tired we'll probably be after traveling and a whole MK day and with HS announcing a couple of holiday offerings, I decided to sleep in and do 12-close at HS. Figured we'd eat lunch at the resort and then head over to Hollywood Studios. We have FP+ for Rock N Roller Coaster, Star Tours, and Tower of Terror. I also plan for us to see Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam and the "rolling" billboards new for Christmas. Figured since there isn't a TON of stuff to do at HS, that it will be a relatively easy/slow day. Planning to spend some time taking it all in and park bench sitting. Fingers crossed for an easy, enjoyable day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter