What’s for Dinner Tonight?

Now that my kitchen is back in business, I've re-started our meal subscription service. It's been a year or more since we used it last. One thing that's glaring is that with the increased price of food, the menu choices have very few protein options. The basic menu choices are lots of ground meat and eggs. Better cuts of chicken, pork, beef and seafood are now all "premium" and can cost as much as $10/extra per serving. We've never been ground-meat people, but I'll be giving some interesting-looking recipes a try. :goodvibes

are you loving the new kitchen? was it worth the wait???

Mardi Gras/Valentine's Day combo for 6...

Sliced porterhouse steak (2.2 lbs or $20 worth) with caramelized onions accompanied by a dark chocolate coconut fondue with strawberries, pineapple, bananas, clementines, pretzels, marshmallows, and golden and regular oreos. Cost OOP for everything (since I have a ton of fruit) is about $55 - $20 steak, $10 fondue, $25 fondue dippers and onions.

Whatever fruit is leftover will become the dinner fruit side the next 2 nights.
Whatever chocolate is left will go as a filling for cake on Thursday.
And pretzels, oreos, and marshmallows will go back to the kid snack pile (I expect the fewest of these left, but you never know b/c one of my teen girls is on a health kick, so she may also be sticking to "just fruit" like me)...

Dairy and tree nut free, so an allergy friendly Valentine's...

Misjudged how much I would eat and there are still pork roast leftovers; I’ll think on them tomorrow.

Tonight, it’s grilled lamb chops with pomegranate molasses minus the dukkah. coating. Again.
Why?
Cause they are still here, I love lamb and I love pomegranate molasses, lol.
Got what’s needed to make a Greek salad so that’ll be the side dish. Still have clementines (or maybe they’re mandarins?) so that’s dessert once more. Wish I had some watermelon but not the season; goes so nicely with lamb chops.

My plan for tonight was seafood stuffed chicken breasts, rice pilaf and a veggie. I’m just not feeling it. I’ll have to see what my other non oven options are. The grill is also out for tonight we have about a foot of snow and it’s still snowing. Maybe coconut shrimp? 🤷‍♀️

Unexpected snow day. I think we are shifting the menu and eating up some leftovers today/tonight as we graze a bit throughout the day. So a bit of a clean out the fridge, choose your own adventure situation.

Gonna take a run to Trader Jose’s after my hair appt and see what I can come up with for dinner tonight.

I precooked for the week on Sunday, so they have been living on that - chili, roast/mashed potatoes, hardboiled eggs (they make a lot of egg salad for snacks, lunches, etc.), some parsley pesto, chicken salad. So, the people here have had some combination of that for dinner the last few nights. I made a giant thing of my favorite dip the other day and have been eating that with sourdough wasa crackers, even though I DESPERATELY want the tortilla chips, instead.

Tonight, DH and I are doing a unique Valentines outing (even though we don't really celebrate - this opportunity came up). I will share tomorrow because it is so unique to this area that I don't want local creepers to find me ;)

Today's Shrove Tuesday. Pancakes - what else? :goodvibes We had them with both butter and syrup and strawberries and whipped cream, with a side of back bacon fried crispy in a little butter. Yum!

Tomorrow, if we don't go out, we'll get pizza from a local place that makes them heart-shaped on Valentine's Day. For years I've had it delivered to my DH for lunch at work but alas, he's between assignments right now. Thursday, my meal subscription box comes and we'll have lots of interesting choices!

Gonna try a new-to-me recipe for Valentine’s. Eggplant Rollatini. Hope it turn outs. Serving with a salad, crusty bread and a heart-shaped chocolate chip cookie cake for dessert.

We are leaving for vacation on Friday so this week is "What can we make out of all the items in the refrigerator?". Today I think for the kids it's breakfast for dinner to use up english muffins and for my husband and I yet another salad. Ash Wednesday for us so no bacon or any of that today. Maybe BLT tomorrow.

Since it's Ash Wednesday and I needed a dinner that's good for a few hours eating difference, we are all making make-your-own pizza. Safeway had bakery thin crusts on a great sale, so I've got that, anchovies (for me), ricotta, parm, and mozza (for everyone else), spinach, peppers (both raw and marinated banana ones), red onions, mushrooms, pineapple, and tomatoes for the toppings and marinara sauce, garlic, salt, dried basil, and olive oil for the crust. So, people can make and bake as they need dinner.

We'll have yesterday's leftover strawberries and clementines with (and the pineapple is a possible topping). Whatever veg doesn't get eaten will probably make it into a Mexican planned dish tomorrow...

I mentioned this on the Valentine's thread, but we have a tradtion of me making spaghetti and meatballs and then everybody watching Lady and the Tramp. My 14 and 16 year old boys are not quite as excited about the movie as they were when they were younger.....

I made chocolate cupcakes last night. When I get home I will make the strawberry buttercream frosting to go on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter