What’s something that people do to try to be nice that infuriates you ?

Your cart does not have to be empty for the cashier to start scanning your items. As soon as he/she is finished with one customer they start with the next even though said customer may still be emptying things from their cart. It's a continuous line. Any person you allow to cut the line will definitely make the wait longer for everyone else. Especially if line cutter is not prepared and has to fumble with their purse/wallet find their card to pay etc. Not a huge deal or worth saying anything at the time but still annoying to the people behind waiting their turn.

When I go through the same coffee drive thru 3 times a week and while waiting the cashier has been trained to engage in small talk. So 3 times a week the same few people ask, "What are you up to today?" and I say "Just working!" and they say "What do you do?" and I say "Teacher" and then they make an innane comment about how it must be so great to work with kids. Every dang time lol. I think they should at least have more questions up their sleeve if they are forced to make small talk with every customer.

People who insist on explaining the reasoning for their question before asking the question. Just ask the question.

If you have ever been on Jury Duty you may have run into a lot of frustration when an Attorney asks a question and the opposing Attorney says "objection, no foundation for that question". So the first Attorney now has to spend 20 minutes asking meaningless questions so he can go back to ask the original question. I was on a Jury during a 6 week trial and the first thing the Juror discussed in the deliberation room was our frustration with those type objections. One of my fellow Jurors suggested the Jury need an Attorney to object to the objection!
Also, students who raise their hand to ask a question, then proceed to say "I have a question". That much is obvious, my dear.

This is my sister in law. She gobbles up her food in record time so she can start on the dishes, then she makes everyone else feel bad because we are still sitting around eating while she is scrubbing pots. God forbid you should actually want seconds because as soon as the last person goes through the food line, she gets out the Tupperware and starts boxing it up. We have all our family dinners at my parents house and my Dad constantly tells her to just leave it because most all the dishes can just go in the dishwasher, but she just refuses.

That is horrible and rude to the people still eating and trying to enjoy a conversation with pots banging and water running and the food being taken away.
I cannot imagine this scenario with family at the table trying to spend quality time together. It's not even her house. Sounds like some sort of OCD.

Understood but do you let new people into the line, or just someone already in the line but behind you, switch places? If you let in someone new and you’re not the last in line, you’ve just made a decision that effects everyone else.
Also, it always seems like these people that were let up front of line now need access to a locked up item. Which holds the line up even more. They should really say they need cigarettes or baby formula and they will just wait their turn.

If I am the only one in line, I do let people with one item go in front. If I am paying attention to even see what the person behind me even has. Usually I don't look around.

When I go through the same coffee drive thru 3 times a week and while waiting the cashier has been trained to engage in small talk. So 3 times a week the same few people ask, "What are you up to today?" and I say "Just working!" and they say "What do you do?" and I say "Teacher" and then they make an innane comment about how it must be so great to work with kids. Every dang time lol. I think they should at least have more questions up their sleeve if they are forced to make small talk with every customer.

LOL. You should change your profession every time and make it more and more bizarre just to see how good their improv skills are.

Respond with the outright answer when I've asked for assistance with a problem, especially if they are an expert and I am brand new to something. If I wanted the answer, I would have asked for it: I just wanted a little nudge in the right direction so that I may figure it out myself and, you know, learn.

It doesn’t matter to me if they’ve already been waiting or new to the line.
If someone has 2 items and I have 60 items and that person is able to check out and pay before my cart is empty it effects no one, because the people behind me are not waiting longer.
Yes they are, if you let a new person into the line in front of them. If you simply switch places with someone already in line, then no, they are not waiting longer.

When I donate to a charity and they basically throw away a portion of my donation by sending me stuff all year long that I don't use: return labels, calendars, note pads, etc.
I think I know what charity you’re talking about. I used to make a donation to them at Christmas. But the rest of the year kept getting bombarded with more donation requests along with the labels and note pads. I finally stopped donating to them. I don’t like them wasting so much money on postage and extra stuff. I want my donation to be used for what it’s supposed to be used for, the charity itself.

If there’s anybody here that will admit to doing this, I’d love to have them help me understand why.
OCD.

I couldn't eat anything at home for 2 years because I was at mom's while the divorce was ongoing. I tried to cook and she was literally over my shoulder with a washcloth, "Oh you're making a mess!" while she cleaned the stove constantly around the pan I was actively cooking something to eat in.

Got to the point where I left work and just went and sat at the lake. Go "home" to sleep and get up and go to work. It was extremely depressing and I didn't know what to do any more without a home to go home to. Got a lot of miles in on the bicycle however, even at 18° F because I had no where I could go after work.

Understood but do you let new people into the line, or just someone already in the line but behind you, switch places? If you let in someone new and you’re not the last in line, you’ve just made a decision that effects everyone else.
Yeah, when I responded, I hadn't though of that because I never see that happen. It's always someone with a large cart saying to the person behind them with a few items to go ahead.

At work I have a basic daily routine (teach preschool). Inevitably a sub or new person would come in and insist on”helping”. BY the time I explain the routine, I could’ve been done. So I’d always try to have a small job for them . Still drove me nuts

It doesn’t matter to me if they’ve already been waiting or new to the line.
If someone has 2 items and I have 60 items and that person is able to check out and pay before my cart is empty it effects no one, because the people behind me are not waiting longer.
How are the people behind you not waiting longer if you let a person in front of them that would have been behind them?

OCD.

I couldn't eat anything at home for 2 years because I was at mom's while the divorce was ongoing. I tried to cook and she was literally over my shoulder with a washcloth, "Oh you're making a mess!" while she cleaned the stove constantly around the pan I was actively cooking something to eat in.

Got to the point where I left work and just went and sat at the lake. Go "home" to sleep and get up and go to work. It was extremely depressing and I didn't know what to do any more without a home to go home to. Got a lot of miles in on the bicycle however, even at 18° F because I had no where I could go after work.
Does she behave that way when she's a guest in someone else's home too?

FWIW, I'm experiencing your situation in a tiny measure myself right now. Our household has expanded to include a close family member and I'm finding her habits and standards are starting to wear me down. On the one hand, since it is her home too now (at least for now), I want it to be comfortable for her, but we're reaching a point where push-may-come-to-shove. I'm holding out hope we'll be able to reach some reasonable compromise but I guess we'll see. 😳

I think I know what charity you’re talking about. I used to make a donation to them at Christmas. But the rest of the year kept getting bombarded with more donation requests along with the labels and note pads. I finally stopped donating to them. I don’t like them wasting so much money on postage and extra stuff. I want my donation to be used for what it’s supposed to be used for, the charity itself.

I think it's all of them. I donated to one animal charity and now I get stuff from at least three. I've never actually donated to the ASPCA or WWF, but I get calendars, greeting cards, and address labels from them all the time.

I agree with @slo on letting someone go in front of you at the grocery store. I do it all the time. My cart is always full and if someone has only a few items, I let them go in front of me. I've seen many people do this at the stores I frequent, especially Aldi. It really doesn't bother me at all if I'm behind that person who lets someone go ahead and I never once thought it was an inconvenience to me.

Reactions: slo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter