• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Book Do You Recommend the Most?

Ya'll are making me want me to do a lot of re-reads. Also, want to reiterate how flipping bad the movie of The Glass Castle was. Lordy.

***that isn't about a murder?***

I loved Outlander but don't want to read a historical romance.

I want to read a can't-put-down book by a very talented author. Most writers over-write and I can't get past the first chapter. I enjoyed 'Wild' as she was a fantastic writer.

Please recommend a really great book I can take to the beach without it being a cheesy romance. Not really into mysteries or spy type books. Thank you!

The Great China Zoo-Matthew Riely. Think Jurrasic Park with dragons. Ice Station is also really good too.

Liane Moriaty has several good books. Big Little Lies, The husbands Secret and What Alice Forgot among the best.

Why would you post the last line to a book? Way to ruin it! Ok, it sounds awful to me so I personally wouldn’t read that one, but seriously why would someone post the ending for people who haven’t read it?

You all have some very different ideas of a beach read than I do. I want something light and engaging and not something that requires a lot of concentration.

I like books by JoJo Moyes and Kristin Hannah when I want something on the lighter side. Kristin Hannah does have some deep topics though.

Or you can go super light by starting the Shopaholic books.

Why would you post the last line to a book? Way to ruin it! Ok, it sounds awful to me so I personally wouldn’t read that one, but seriously why would someone post the ending for people who haven’t read it?

1st lines and last lines are the easiest to google?

You all have some very different ideas of a beach read than I do. I want something light and engaging and not something that requires a lot of concentration.

I like books by JoJo Moyes and Kristin Hannah when I want something on the lighter side. Kristin Hannah does have some deep topics though.

Or you can go super light by starting the Shopaholic books.[Google?

I would agree with you, but the OP was very specific in her tastes. I read it as she doesn't want fluff. I love Sophie Kinsella as a good beach read. I loved Fannie Flagg novels, and Erma Bombeck and Nora Ephron.

OP: Also

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou.

12 Years A Slave Solomon Northrop

The Grapes Of Wrath. John Steinbeck

The Color Purple Alice Walker

Irena's Children Tilar Mazzeo

another for Angela's Ashes- Frank McCourt

I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith
The Godfather - Mario Puzo
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
Lovely Bones (although that's sort of a murder book)

For fun, easy, get sucked into it reads the author Penny Vencenzi is amazing! Historical fiction, usually based in England. Lots of fun characters.

Sorry haven't read the whole thread but one of the best books I've read and I've read a ton is Al Roker's The Storm of the Century IMO he is one of the best authors I've read.....ever!!

Last edited:
Sorry haven't read the whole thread but one of the best books I've read and I've read a ton is Al Roker's Storm of the Century IMO he is one of the best authors I've read.....ever!!

You've got me curious saying one of best ever and I'm completely clueless he's even written a book.

No one's dropped the obligatory Nietzsche or Bertrand Russell?

I second All Creatures Great and Small...actually anything by James Herriot
84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff
Hatchet by Gary Paulson

Angela's Ashes is amazing.

Kinda a downer for a beach trip though, lol.

I have no recommendations because I love downers and biographies of historical figures.

Usually comedies Douglas Adams or Vonnegut or Confedaracy of Dunces. Three I recommend to people that are less known are “I Know it When I See It” and Harvey Pennick’s Little Red Booka and Outlaws of the Marsh.

Of course I suggest reading my books more than any, but that is more begging then it is a recommendation.

Last edited:
You've got me curious saying one of best ever and I'm completely clueless he's even written a book.

No one's dropped the obligatory Nietzsche or Bertrand Russell?

My Dad actually gave me the book to read about two years ago. It was about the devastating hurricane that hit Galveston in 1900. Of course I'm a weather fanatic so that might have helped my interest level. ;)

If you're looking for something very light and easily snacked on and are of an age to appreciate Rob Lowe, he's written a couple of books telling stories about his life as a young, aspiring actor. I bought them for a friend during her chemo treatments and she thought they were a fun distraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter