• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Book Do You Recommend the Most?

Why would you post the last line to a book? Way to ruin it! Ok, it sounds awful to me so I personally wouldn’t read that one, but seriously why would someone post the ending for people who haven’t read it?

It's not a book that the last line ruins anything in terms of the story and it's so haunting...it'd be different if it gave away the killer for instance, but it's not that kinda book.

Also, despite the new poster on here, I think authors put the most thought into the first and last lines of books. That's why people always bang on about the first line of Tale of Two Cities for instance or the last line of 1984. So flipping good.

If you're looking for something very light and easily snacked on and are of an age to appreciate Rob Lowe, he's written a couple of books telling stories about his life as a young, aspiring actor. I bought them for a friend during her chemo treatments and she thought they were a fun distraction.

Were they all sex, drugs, and rock and roll type of reads? I can get into that.

Were they all sex, drugs, and rock and roll type of reads? I can get into that.

Not entirely, but they are represented. Perfect for the times you want a distraction without the need to truly engage your brain, total snack reading.

Not entirely, but they are represented. Perfect for the times you want a distraction without the need to truly engage your brain, total snack reading.

Cool, I usually go with zombie/apoc books for my brain candy (because I'm so sunny), but I have Kindle Unlimited and try to abuse it as much as possible, and we all need variety in our reading diet:)

After you saying the above, I'm going to put in another vote for Mists of the Serengeti!

Well-crafted - check!
Quotable - check! (I quoted passages to friends, my husband, & my daughter for days)
Villages - check!
Lovely, well-drawn characters - check!
Old Houses - check!
Romance - check!
Instead of platters of buttered toast, African coffee & other dishes - check!

DISCLAIMER: It is NOT about murder or spies or espionage or government agencies, but there are 2 deaths at the beginning that set the stage for the story & there are some action & suspense scenes related to the local government.

Interestingly enough, right after I finished Mists, I read another book by the same author & didn't find it nearly as good. But Mists is probably now in my top 5 favorite books of all time list.

Some quotes -

"This is what it looks like when you wander somewhere between the sand and stardust, and meet a piece of yourself in someone else."

“Pull a thread here and a life unravels there.”

“We had found a pocket of quiet, where all the ghosts in our minds had gone to sleep, and we were the only two people awake.”

“ 'You know what’s heartbreaking?' He slipped his hands into his pockets, as if to keep them from touching me. 'It’s not when bad things happen to you, or when your life turns out completely different from what you thought it would be, or when people let you down, or when the world knocks you down. What’s heartbreaking is when you don’t get back up, when you don’t care enough to pick up the million broken pieces of you that are screaming to be put back together, and you just lie there, listening to a shattered chorus of yourself.' "

“I pulled back, my eyes still closed, knowing that I had just stolen an epic moment from life.”

“Sometimes heroes were found between the pages of a book, and sometimes they stood on a hill, their checkered togas fluttering in the wind, holding fort for the rest of us.”

“All this time I’ve been searching for her in the wrong places—in the rain, and in thunder, and lightning. And all this time . . . there she is, hiding in rainbows.”

“And just like that, in an old red barn at the foothills of Mount Kilimanjaro, I found the elusive magic I had glimpsed only between the pages of great love stories. It fluttered around me like a newborn butterfly and settled in a corner of my heart. "

"We base so much of ourselves on other people’s perceptions of us. We live for the compliments, the approval, the applause. But what we really need is a grand, spine-chilling encounter with ourselves to believe we’re freaking magical. And that’s the best kind of believing, because no one can unsay it or take it away from you.”

“I reached for the beads on my bracelet, thinking of the words on them. Taleenoi olngisoilechashur. We are all connected. How many times do we pass people on the street, whose lives are intertwined with ours in ways that remain forever unknown? How many ways are we tied to a stranger by fragile, invisible threads that bind us all together?”

Oh my ever lovin'....what some people can craft out of 26 letters just amazes me! Thank you for sharing!

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

Into Thin Air by John Krakauer

You're speaking my language! Read all of these and more by the authors and loved them all! I still think about Frank McCourt and the part about the communion ground into the molars!

Awww....Cold Sassy Tree is just wonderful!........

Speaking of Cold Sassy Tree...do you remember the part about the first car in the area and driving it into a ditch? That was about my Great Grandfather, Robert Franklin Stephens. The author collected stories around the north Ga. mountains and he was a savvy farmer who held his cotton till the prices went up and at one point, bought a sewing machine for every woman in the county. He bought the first car in the area and on the first day out, he drove it into a ditch. He hired a young boy to drive him around after that. His youngest daughter was Mary Addie, my Grandmama, and here is a picture of that car and the family right before Grandmama was born.

Old car.jpg Stephens family.jpg

It's probably not for everybody, but the Southern Reach trilogy (Annihilation, Authority, Acceptance) by Jeff Vandermeer is a unique and unforgettable reading experience.

Speaking of unique reading experiences, there's really nothing quite like If On a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino.

I also love just about everything by Dan Simmons, who mastered several different fiction genres, although he can be a challenging read at times, as he is so intelligent and well-read. Once I finally got into the Hyperion and Endymion series I just couldn't stop.

And Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres is a truly great novel and good vacation read, with a heart-rending love story set in Greece during WWII.

I'm going to research several of these books.

Here's what I'm looking for:

A fiction OR biography that is ENGROSSING and so well crafted that one finds it hard to not call ones friends to read passages out loud.
A book NOT about a murder, NOT about spies or espionage or government agencies.

Yes, to villages, well-played crafty characters, other eras, NO heaving bosoms, dramatic turns and interesting twists. Old houses, a touch of romance, platters of buttered toast and a mutt or two.

That. :flower1: (unless it's as good as Greg Iles 'The Quiet Game' then I'll take some other genre)

Cozy series that I'd read in the past is the Mitford series by Jan Karon (as has probably half of the known world, but thought I'd mention it). It's been a while, but the characters really grab you.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.

Into Thin Air by John Krakauer

She’s come undone by Wally lamb

Oh man, forgot about so many books.

I can't say enough about Into Thin Air. It really carried within me for so long.

Such a blast from the past. Haven't thought about those in so long.

I know, eh.

Great thread OP. Thanks.

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

:thumbsup2

Totally off topic but I must get to this, for reasons beyond how well reviewed it is by many. Recently, I was asking my aunt some tough questions about my grandfather's ways. Trying to get information and perspective, before a certain generation passes away. And she was telling me some stories and then added "Have you read Angela's Ashes? Because if you haven't you should take in the parts where they travel back to Ireland and you will probably understand where he came from and what many people had to endure back then."

Some of my favorites are the Non Fiction authors that can really tell a good story.
So here are some of my favorites.

If You Ask Me by Betty White
Sum It Up by Pat Summitt
Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes
A Child Called It by David Pelzer (This one I like to tell people is not a good story because the stuff in it is appalling but it is a good book.)
Blind Side by Michael Lewis (Yes this was the Sandra Bullock movie)
No Matter How Loud I Shout by Edward Humes
Tribe Apart by Patricia Hersch

As for Fiction, there were these two books I read years ago by Kent Haruf (Plainsong then Eventide). They were so impressive and they were just old fashioned stories. They were not romance or mystery. And years later I keep checking for something else.

My favorite Kirsten Hannah was On Mystic Lake. And if you don't mind some romance but want it clean then I highly recommend Dee Henderson.

If you've never read The Thorn Birds, I highly recommend it. I read it in 2 days one year when I was sick. I couldn't put it down.

When I first read the title, I was going to say 1984 because it's my favorite book and I will always recommend it. But then I saw you were looking for a light beach read, so scratch that, LOL.

I like anything by Tracy Chevalier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter