What Did You Wish You Knew Before Going?

I am going to say something completely unpopular.... skip rope drop and stay all night long. I used to try to hit the rope drops (and usually failed while dragging the kids to the gate as the train pulled away) until one trip that was so much hotter than we expected. We ended up sleeping in, eating and swimming and didn't head out until 4 or 5pm. We got so much done in those hours and we weren't nearly as hot as we would have been. My kids are night owls and as soon as I stopped fighting that we had a much better time. Magic Kingdom at 1am....yes please! Even if the park closes at 10, get a snack, sit, rest and wander out leisurely. You will get a better seat on the bus that way too!
What is your teens schedule like at home (like a weekend, not so much weekday for school)? If she/he likes to sleep in, maybe allow for that on vacation...at least a little bit.

I will second the bathroom tip...if one goes, everyone goes! We had one trip with 10 of us and I spent so much time trying to gather everyone after a bathroom trip it was crazy....and most of these people were adults!

Enjoy your trip OP. I think the best tip you can get will be to relax and have fun!
this is true we have had some greats late nights at MK.

this is true we have had some greats late nights at MK.
I also love late nights! I am a night owl.. rarely make rope drop but try get there around 10 leave for break, come back late night... my favorite. First thing I look for is how late MK is open! Now AKV is staying open later too which makes it nice.

Touring plans is scaring me a bit.

I am a planner... but I am also really good at winging it and not planning. Touring plans makes me feel like I will have our group moving and moving as opposed to exploring and enjoying. But - there is something to be said for not waiting in lines and seeing more and doing more. Not sure what to do still.

I am a planner... but I am also really good at winging it and not planning. Touring plans makes me feel like I will have our group moving and moving as opposed to exploring and enjoying. But - there is something to be said for not waiting in lines and seeing more and doing more. Not sure what to do still.
Adjusted the settings for "Walking Speed" to very relaxes, and the "Waiting vs Walking" to minimize walking. This will hopefully give you a little more time to stop and smell the roses! :flower3:

I feel the big planning needs to be how you start off each morning. For many people, the goal is to experience the headliner attractions, so this is where planning is needed. If you rope drop, then where are you going first? And where is your fast pass? For my wife and I, we kinda rush right at the start, and after our first or maybe second attraction, we are on cruise for the rest of the day. We do not want to be in lines longer than 30 minutes, so our plan is to just skip something if it has gotten too long. On our last trip, the last day was an open day. We really wanted the safari because the 2 other times were very blah. We waited past our 30 minutes, but it was THE BEST, and worth it.

In my first trip as an adult, I completely underestimated how big the parks are and how long it would take to get from one place to another, especially as we were there during a peak spring break week and the crowds were really dense. We had some close calls with FPs as a result! This is also where touring plans are helpful.

I wish I'd known sooner about being able to get 4th (and beyond) FP-at first, we just assumed that it was 3 and done! We've had decent luck getting 4th, 5th and sometimes more, FP-typically not for super headliners, but it still beats waiting in line!

I've also come to have a greater appreciation for the seemingly little things on our more recent trips. The amazing landscaping, the architectural details, and other things that are hard to appreciate when we're buzzing grouch at full speed all day and night.

Hands down, I wish I'd known how valuable a touring plan is. We usually go end of April/beginning of May, so I won't speak for other times, but I am amazed that Touring Plans is so accurate. I remember RUNNING to avoid missing an fp window on our first family trip. We came home from that trip exhausted! But the next 4 trips (40-50 days in the parks) have been smooth because I'm following plans that I carefully (and most enjoyably!) laid out that include breaks and minimize walking. I can't say enough how I'd never go to WDW without a touring plan!
I just finished my touring plans. Well that's what I keep saying, then I tweak the plans a little more. What I really wish I knew now, is, How well will these plans work? I feel like there's too much on them. I have most days set to very relaxed or relaxed. I made sure there was some free time before shows, I put in food breaks. But I don't want there to be so much free time/breaks, that we are looking for something to do. However, I don't want to feel we can't ride again, or look some more. How do you set these plans up just right? I sure wish I knew this before our trip.

Know your family, I know sounds silly, but...
My family doesn't want a big sit down meal at a theme park, they'd rather pick at small meals as we go. I did plan an ADR for GG late in our trip. Was nice to have a place to rest. Plus Epcot doesn't really have thrill rides

Here's a small and very specific one, but DH wants me to mention it. :)
I kept warning him that the waves at the Typhoon Lagoon wave pool are serious. Like, knock a full-grown man off his feet serious. He didn't believe me. :rotfl2:

We went during our honeymoon and he walked right out into them...and got knocked head over heels, lost his glasses (found them and they were fine--whew), etc. Once I figured out he was OK, I laughed at him quite a bit. Listen to your wife, dear! ::yes::

And now we're reading the riot act to our adventuresome 9-year-old over the wave pool. He's a good swimmer, but he needs to stay close to us. I think he's taking me seriously, though...he's heard dad's story too many times!

I just finished my touring plans. Well that's what I keep saying, then I tweak the plans a little more. What I really wish I knew now, is, How well will these plans work? I feel like there's too much on them. I have most days set to very relaxed or relaxed. I made sure there was some free time before shows, I put in food breaks. But I don't want there to be so much free time/breaks, that we are looking for something to do. However, I don't want to feel we can't ride again, or look some more. How do you set these plans up just right? I sure wish I knew this before our trip.
I guess you won't know how it works for you until you try it out. But, for us I set everything to extremely relaxed walking speed. With that (and 45 min for quick service meals and 75 for most sit-down meals) we never get behind schedule and are often ahead. "Very relaxed" pretty much adds in time for shopping, breaks, bathroom and snacks. The good news is that, should you find your plan not working you can always just hit "optimize" while you're at the park. Adjust on the fly!

Here's a small and very specific one, but DH wants me to mention it. :)
I kept warning him that the waves at the Typhoon Lagoon wave pool are serious. Like, knock a full-grown man off his feet serious. He didn't believe me. :rotfl2:

We went during our honeymoon and he walked right out into them...and got knocked head over heels, lost his glasses (found them and they were fine--whew), etc. Once I figured out he was OK, I laughed at him quite a bit. Listen to your wife, dear! ::yes::

And now we're reading the riot act to our adventuresome 9-year-old over the wave pool. He's a good swimmer, but he needs to stay close to us. I think he's taking me seriously, though...he's heard dad's story too many times!

Yep. Our daughter was knocked over by the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon last year. She was 13, and a good swimmer, but it was still too much for her. Both her knees got banged up pretty good. We had to go to the First Aid station to get her some bandaids to staunch the bleeding. I kept telling her over and over again that it wouldn't scar. But unfortunately, her one knee did. That's one Disney souvenir we could have done without! :scared1:

I love that water park, but from now on, I'm going to be wary of that wave pool. The surface is so rough, too! If you are knocked over, it's none too gentle on your skin.

What is the best way to plan out fast passes for the day? I am so overwhelmed with all of the options? Do you pick one must do and then plan around that to stay close? We have 10 days at the parks.

1. Crowd calendars aren't accurate since there isn't a real 'slow time' anymore.
2. Rope drop - midday break - close another park.
3. 4th-5th-6th FPs
4. Get ears - everyone is wearing ears!
5. If you are staying on property don't bother renting a car - Magic Express and Lyft are all you need and so easy to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter