What do you do with teenage spending?

When my children were teenagers I wouldn't block the cards for them, but said there was a daily limit to my children and that the ship would let me know if they went over it. - they didn't know any different.
I would check guest services, but my children without prompt gave me all their signed receipts each day.
They for example went to MDR dinner when we were in Palo, both purchased a smoothie and pirate light topper. One got a book, another a flashing light.

It's a great way to educate on financial transactions and responsibilities.

Our first cruise was in 2011 when kids were 10 and 11, they’ve always had charging privileges. We give them a limit of $5/day for the cruise, which they can spend anyway they want. Anything above their allotted amount they pay us back for as soon as we get home. We’ve never had an issue with this and it has taught them how to budget, and live within their means, at the same time. We’re just preparing them to be responsible adults.

I agree about preparing them for the future. We have been discussing finance since my children were very young. They both have good savings accounts earning a moderate interest. I also believe in having them budget what they spend. It is also important that they know what things they are willing to spend their money. We have always offered for them to allow charging privileges, but they both decided that they don't need to spend their money on cruises when most things are included. I think understanding this is a good step. And the fact that they can make that decision on their own is also very important.

They know that if they bought something, they will have to pay for it. Don't get me wrong, they do spend some of their money on frivolous things and they accept that. But they also know that they don't always have to buy something just because they can.

My son actually changed the attitude of one of his new found friends on the cruise. His friend was given charging privileges and decided that they would buy all the snacks that wasn't included. My son explained to them that there was no need. And by the end of the cruise, his friend told him that his parents were proud of him for not spending too much. I think that's wonderful.

If my son decides to add charging to his account on our next cruise that would be up to him. He will set his own limit. But if he doesn't, it won't be a missed opportunity to learn about spending. There are various ways to show kids about taking responsibility for their finances. I think it's much more important for them to learn in their daily lives since vacation seems to tip most people over to the overspending side. I guess my children see that my husband and I don't overspend on our vacations. The vacations are expensive enough. If we want to keep doing more trips, then we knew we need to control what we spend during the vacation. If my children are seeing this and following, then I'm glad.

My kids were 16 and 12 on our Disney cruise.
We didn't even think about blocking their charging privileges.
Only charge either had was for our 16 year old to get his tie dry cleaned.

I personally do not give my son any spending money. He doesn't need it on a cruise, as all needed food & drink is prepaid with the fare. I'm the old-fashioned parent who doesn't give an allowance, either. Any cash he gets to spend, ever, he actually has to earn himself.

I always thought it was the opposite. I remembered my parents giving us all allowance whether we "earned" it or not. And "earning" would just entail keeping our rooms clean. We did also have little "chores" which was just our responsibility for helping our family, but it wasn't tied to our allowance.

On the other hand, my children get some of their money from gifts (birthdays, Christmas, graduations etc) and the rest would be if they did something that wasn't part of their responsibility at home. I thought it was old fashioned to give allowances without really earning them.

I thought it was old fashioned to give allowances without really earning them.
Really? I guess I missed the Abe Lincoln story that involved his parents giving him spending money every week...:rolleyes1

Last edited:
My kids were 14 and 12 on the Dream in 2016, and 16 and 14 just this past April on the Wonder. They both have had charging privileges on the ships, as well as the parks. On the ships they mostly buy smoothies, but 16 year-old DS did get himself a coffee at Cove Cafe last month. I didn't even realize he wasn't supposed to be in there until I read this thread, but I told him to drink the free coffee like I was doing and he didn't go back anyway.

In the parks, I love that they have charging privileges on their magic bands so they can stop for a snack or a QS meal even if I'm not around.

They wait for me for gift shop spending. I've never even had to tell them to do that, they just know.

For those with under-18 coffee drinkers, on the Dream Class they can go to Vista Cafe. I think there is somewhere on the Classics, but I am not positive since I have only cruised as an adult.

I personally do not give my son any spending money. He doesn't need it on a cruise, as all needed food & drink is prepaid with the fare. I'm the old-fashioned parent who doesn't give an allowance, either. Any cash he gets to spend, ever, he actually has to earn himself.

This is us. They often save their own money from Christmas/birthdays and use that for spending.

My kids were 14 and 12 on the Dream in 2016, and 16 and 14 just this past April on the Wonder. They both have had charging privileges on the ships, as well as the parks. On the ships they mostly buy smoothies, but 16 year-old DS did get himself a coffee at Cove Cafe last month. I didn't even realize he wasn't supposed to be in there until I read this thread, but I told him to drink the free coffee like I was doing and he didn't go back anyway.

In the parks, I love that they have charging privileges on their magic bands so they can stop for a snack or a QS meal even if I'm not around.

They wait for me for gift shop spending. I've never even had to tell them to do that, they just know.

From posts here of the Cove Cafe Charging, not just you, I am wondering if Cove Cafe is just being used as a charging point, maybe for the Clubs or something else. Maybe they are not breaking the rules. I have an open mind.

Bottom line:- if Cove Cafe CMs allow under 18s to use it, then they by serving are far more at fault than the cruiser, they should know. It's not for any cruiers to police it, but the CMs themselves, their rules to enforce.

Really? I guess I missed the Abe Lincoln story that involved his parents giving him spending money every week...:rolleyes1

I didn't imply that you were wrong. I apologize if it sounded like it.

I was saying that I had believed it was the opposite because my parents gave us an allowance not because we were doing anything, but because they just gave us allowance. We were expected to keep our room clean and help with the house cleaning from time to time, but that wasn't earning it (in my view), that was just what we were expected as being part of the family. Plus, I still don't believe an allowance is earned. People may disagree, which is fine.

When my son was young, he used to tell me that a couple of his friends would get an allowance in the same fashion and would complain that he didn't unless he does something above and beyond what he is expected to do. And to clarify, we pay for anything that my children needed including all the sports and gear, all the tournaments, dances, etc. The extra money is for them to spend on whatever they wanted that we didn't believe was necessary.

Now he doesn't say anything...sometimes I would ask him about what he said and he'd just smile...I found out later that it was only 2 of his friends who were getting allowance for nothing and those were the 2 that chose not to get part time jobs during high school. We never suggested he get a part time job...but I do like the fact that he was taking some responsibility. He acquire the skills to do his part time job (lifeguard) without any prompt from us...although we did pay for his courses and certifications etc (which I told him I didn't mind doing), it was his decision to acquire the skills (but it didn't hurt that he loved it :)). As with the rest of his friends, most who didn't get an allowance eventually got some form of part time job by the end of high school. I can't speak of their circumstances and are not assuming it was because of the lack of allowance. I am just saying what my son told me.

From posts here of the Cove Cafe Charging, not just you, I am wondering if Cove Cafe is just being used as a charging point, maybe for the Clubs or something else. Maybe they are not breaking the rules. I have an open mind.

Bottom line:- if Cove Cafe CMs allow under 18s to use it, then they by serving are far more at fault than the cruiser, they should know. It's not for any cruiers to police it, but the CMs themselves, their rules to enforce.

My son mentioned that when he was 16, his friends would try to order coffee from Cove Cafe and they were told that it was not permitted. The CMs were nice about it, but they were turned down. My son doesn't drink coffee, but if he did, he would just go get the free coffee.

On our last cruise, my son was 18 (along with his friends) and none of them even thought of going to get the specialty coffees...I think they just want to try it BECAUSE they weren't allowed...now that they can, they seem to have no imminent need.

My son mentioned that when he was 16, his friends would try to order coffee from Cove Cafe and they were told that it was not permitted. The CMs were nice about it, but they were turned down. My son doesn't drink coffee, but if he did, he would just go get the free coffee.

On our last cruise, my son was 18 (along with his friends) and none of them even thought of going to get the specialty coffees...I think they just want to try it BECAUSE they weren't allowed...now that they can, they seem to have no imminent need.
Fully agree.

My son loves coffee. And I’m sure he had no idea he was not supposed to be in there, and to be honest, I didn’t know that either. I just didn’t want him spending money on fancy coffee when the regular stuff is free.

I think we all look at allowances based on what our parents did. I found it useful in that my kids always had control of a small amount of money. It got me out of the argument of I don't need the money I won't do chores (chores were a requirement of being part of the family). It also stopped the whining in stores, they were told if the wanted something bad enough that I wouldn't pay for they could spend their own money.

It also meant when we have them charging privileges at Disney, they already knew what we thought was ok and what they would have to pay.

My son loves coffee. And I’m sure he had no idea he was not supposed to be in there, and to be honest, I didn’t know that either. I just didn’t want him spending money on fancy coffee when the regular stuff is free.
Bottom line:- " if" Cove Cafe serve an under 18, it's the CM's fault, not the cruisers.

My kids were 16 and 12 on our Disney cruise.
We didn't even think about blocking their charging privileges.
Only charge either had was for our 16 year old to get his tie dry cleaned.

Rather than blocking, on the online check in, you would select who you are responsible for and the payment method for it.

So I will select with a tick, all my family, including my children, and put my credit card to that, and then I am responsible for all their costs.

You can select each person individually, or a cash account.

I agree. There's so much food on the ship, I don't think there's any reason to buy these specialty coffees...And believe me, I love specialty coffees...but when I'm on a cruise, I make my own specialty coffee. I use the free coffee, hot chocolate and milk...It's not as good as the mocha from most places, but it's better than the regular coffee.

Rather than blocking, on the online check in, you would select who you are responsible for and the payment method for it.

So I will select with a tick, all my family, including my children, and put my credit card to that, and then I am responsible for all their costs.

You can select each person individually, or a cash account.

Our credit card was on everyone's account. There was so much included our kids never needed to charge anything. When they went to the movies, instead of buying popcorn, they got a plate of french fries to take with them.

Are the smoothies free in the teen club during smoothie hour and how much are the smoothies?

My son said they were free (this was on the Fantasy) at the Vibe. He bragged about it to his little sister...

But he only went once and he said that there wasn't a lot of people there. I asked him if it wasn't good...perhaps that's why he didn't go again...but he said it was fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter