What do you do with teenage spending?

Our credit card was on everyone's account. There was so much included our kids never needed to charge anything. When they went to the movies, instead of buying popcorn, they got a plate of french fries to take with them.

I see people do that, but....how do I say this....kind of stinks, i.e. Smell, - popcorn, yes can make a noise but is traditional , but I try to avoid anyone eating when watching any film in or off the ship.

My son said they were free (this was on the Fantasy) at the Vibe. He bragged about it to his little sister...

But he only went once and he said that there wasn't a lot of people there. I asked him if it wasn't good...perhaps that why he didn't go again...but he said it was fine.
I know my children in the clubs had smoothie time and got them free but thought it was a set time, i.e. When offered, other times you had to purchase. But not 100% sure as not there myself.

I see people do that, but....how do I say this....kind of stinks, i.e. Smell, - popcorn, yes can make a noise but is traditional , but I try to avoid anyone eating when watching any film in or off the ship.
LOL. A whole bunch of folks did it on our cruise. Popcorn doesn't smell a whole lot different.

Many theaters in the US actually sell fries, chicken fingers, etc. in addition to popcorn, candy, etc.. So it would not be weird to many US moviegoers to smell friesian a movie theater.

I know my children in the clubs had smoothie time and got them free but thought it was a set time, i.e. When offered, other times you had to purchase. But not 100% sure as not there myself.

Exactly what my son told me...it was only free during smoothie time. Not sure if it has changed now...on our last cruise, he was 18 so he was no longer in the Vibe.

He did say he really enjoyed the Vibe...not so fun with the 18-20 group. My son loves sports and don't really enjoy just sitting around. He did find a couple of friends who liked to do the same, but he said it wasn't the same as with the Vibe where there would be at least 10-15 of them at the sports area. He also liked the fact that Vibe had reserved time at the sports area. Plus they have their own pool and game section on the Dream/Fantasy.

Many theaters in the US actually sell fries, chicken fingers, etc. in addition to popcorn, candy, etc.. So it would not be weird to many US moviegoers to smell friesian a movie theater.

Most theatres, if not all, in Canada as well. We have VIP 19+ and you can order a whole meal with table service. But I will admit, whenever my husband and I go to the VIP theatres, we only get popcorn and drinks.

Most theatres, if not all, in Canada as well. We have VIP 19+ and you can order a whole meal with table service. But I will admit, whenever my husband and I go to the VIP theatres, we only get popcorn and drinks.

Thanks! I did not know if the "trend" had made it to other countries yet.

Lucky we do not, Do that but we do sell hot dogs candy ( sweets / chocolate), people bring in McDonald's etc, we are not so different here, it was me posting A personal dislike, rather than any comment on USA Moviegoers. But thank you for the added background.
Exactly what my son told me...it was only free during smoothie time. Not sure if it has changed now...on our last cruise, he was 18 so he was no longer in the Vibe.

He did say he really enjoyed the Vibe...not so fun with the 18-20 group. My son loves sports and don't really enjoy just sitting around. He did find a couple of friends who liked to do the same, but he said it wasn't the same as with the Vibe where there would be at least 10-15 of them at the sports area. He also liked the fact that Vibe had reserved time at the sports area. Plus they have their own pool and game section on the Dream/Fantasy.
Yes agree, my children used them in the Fantasy Wonder and Magic, I know they got free smoothies at times, but I think some purchases did go via Cove Cafe, I asked about a charge and was told that.
Yes re the PP, we are not that different actually, I posted a personal dislike , of a smell, some do it in the WDT as well, it's not as if there isn't enough food to tie us over an hour show or a 90 minute film!
I just like to concentrate on a film, rather than smells or a crunch crunch crunch, - personal preference.

We gave DS14 the freedom of the ship and charging privileges the year he turned 12, with the understanding that we expected him to reimburse us out of his own money for any gift shop purchases. We've had no problems; as others have pointed out, there isn't a whole lot to buy and he knows well that irresponsible spending would mean serious trouble. He pays a daily visit to Vanellope's for his gelato fix and that's about it. DS11 will turn 12 before our next cruise this summer, and we'll do the same for him. It's going to feel weird (yet kind of nice) to have them both off on their own.

Yes re the PP, we are not that different actually, I posted a personal dislike , of a smell, some do it in the WDT as well, it's not as if there isn't enough food to tie us over an hour show or a 90 minute film!
I just like to concentrate on a film, rather than smells or a crunch crunch crunch, - personal preference.

Don't get me wrong...even though it's available, that doesn't mean I enjoy the strong scents around me while I watch the movie. I will admit I have a very strong sense of smell (wish I didn't). Personally, I don't like eating meals in a dark movie theatre. But I can understand why others like the option.

With that in mind, I have yet to notice any scent of food issue in the WDT or Buena Vista...perhaps I've just been lucky.

Thanks! I did not know if the "trend" had made it to other countries yet.

Actually, I don't even remember when they started. But, at least where I live, we've had that option for a very long time. It did start with just hot dogs, nachos and smoothies...but eventually it was full meals with burgers, fries, poutine (of course in Canada:))...then came VIP 19+ locations with meals delivered to you and set on mini tables...I hazard to guess what the next phase would be...

Don't get me wrong...even though it's available, that doesn't mean I enjoy the strong scents around me while I watch the movie. I will admit I have a very strong sense of smell (wish I didn't). Personally, I don't like eating meals in a dark movie theatre. But I can understand why others like the option.

With that in mind, I have yet to notice any scent of food issue in the WDT or Buena Vista...perhaps I've just been lucky.

I have issues with strong / multiple food smells; I don't usually eat in food courts and couldn't even go near one when I was pregnant. :) It's a personal thing, so I don't mind if people bring food into a theatre where food is permitted, but I did have to change my seat once when someone sat down behind me and started chowing down on a loaded hot dog. I haven't encountered anybody eating fries or anything but popcorn on DCL.

Actually, I don't even remember when they started. But, at least where I live, we've had that option for a very long time. It did start with just hot dogs, nachos and smoothies...but eventually it was full meals with burgers, fries, poutine (of course in Canada:))...then came VIP 19+ locations with meals delivered to you and set on mini tables...I hazard to guess what the next phase would be...

Yeah. We have some that have meals. And we have a few that are draft houses along with movie theaters.

For those with under-18 coffee drinkers, on the Dream Class they can go to Vista Cafe. I think there is somewhere on the Classics, but I am not positive since I have only cruised as an adult.
On the Magic Class, Promenade Lounge serves the same beverages that Cove Cafe does, additionally on the Dream Class Cove Cafe beverages are available at certain times in Cabanas.

Are the smoothies free in the teen club during smoothie hour and how much are the smoothies?
On the Dream last year Smoothies, Milkshakes, and Sodas were all available for free anytime on request.
On the Magic, Soda was available for free any time, but Milkshakes/Smoothies were only available during Smoothie Hour (this included occasionally Edge coming for Smoothie Hour).

For both, Smoothie Hour was free.

On the Magic Class, Promenade Lounge serves the same beverages that Cove Cafe does, additionally on the Dream Class Cove Cafe beverages are available at certain times in Cabanas.

Thanks. I figured there probably was some place that did so that under-18s (at least the ones that notice Cove Cafe is in the adult-only area) who "need" their coffee drinks can get them without going into an area they shouldn't. (Obviously the CMs are not going to deny them if they're in there - they want the tip and/or they don't want someone complaining to Guest Services about them. But that doesn't make it right that they're going into an adult-only space. I know you aren't the one who said it was fine...I'm just saying. :) )

Each KTTW card is like its own account. You can fund each KTTW card any way you choose. So they can all go to one Credit Card or to mulitple cards or some to gift cards, or cash funded. That is probably the best way if you are worrying about kids overspending. That way, they know their limit, and you can add more later if that is appropriate.

As for Allowances, I respect all methods, paying for chores, paying for special tasks, "giving" them money, etc.

For us and our children, we chose a method that our parents had not. We told them at the age of about 8 that we would start giving them an allowance. We told them that chores were expected of them, no matter what, as members of the family, as was any other help we needed or they would offer. However, since we were spending money on them anyway, now that they were getting "older" we would start letting them decide how some of that money was spent. So we gave them an allowance, but in three parts. 1 part for them to spend as they see fit. An equal share that when into a college account, saved by them, for the future. And a third, smaller part, that they would donate to church each week. We felt like this gave them a chance to develop money skills and start making money choices, while still expecting them to help out around the house. At the same time it showed them the power of saving for the future and giving to others. It has worked out pretty well for us and for them. They have their own incomes now and are saving for a car between them, but they still get an allowance too and do a pretty nice mix of spending and saving it. Hopefully, it has helped them develop a healthy respect for money.

Oh, and smoothies are free at Vibe during Smoothie hour, and $3 or 4 at other times. (I think Edge raids the Vibe once in a while for Smoothies too). And I agree, my children didn't really feel the need to spend much money on the ship. At the ports was another matter!

With regards to Cove Cafe, I do remember on the Wonder (before dry dock) that the entrance was near the Vibe hangout...am I remembering this correctly?

If this is so, then I can see how the teens may not have noticed that it was Adults only...although, when my husband and I went there just to look, we saw a rather large sign stating it.

We gave our daughter privileges this year and told her she could have one fancy drink a day. It worked well and we could check it on the TV.

Our boys (9 & 11) had charging privileges for the first time this cruise. They were told to be reasonable about snacks and gift shop purchases needed preapproval. It was not a problem at all, I think all they bought was popcorn at the movies, one macaron at the sweet shop and smoothies in the MDR while we were at Palo.

We also had Cove Cafe charges for other things, can remember them all but I know one was the cooler bag DH ordered to the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter