What is going on?

Have you considered finding a group on Meetup.com? I’m in a few (cycling/outdoor activities) and that satisifies my brief needs for outside work social interaction lol. The nice thing is you can see how many people are signed up for an event...so if there are too many for your comfort level you can back out or not sign up. Good luck!

OP, do you happen to live near Orlando? LOL.

When we moved here from Las Vegas, I left all my best friends behind. It's been hard, finally after 8 years, I have a few really good friends through PTO, but only one of them is at the point that I like to be at with close friends. I like the show up without calling first, come in your house without knocking, take charge and cut the cake at your kid's party, stay to help clean up, just run errands together even if it's only the grocery store, hop over to Disney for lunch type of friends. It's hard to get those now, and I was always wondering why myself. Seeing some posts here clears that up but also makes me sad. Things really are changing in the world and people just don't care if they have anyone except their families. I love my family and kids to death, but I need my friends! We have each others backs, no matter what. I wouldn't say all our kids are best friends, but they do all play together well and we have started vacationing together as of last year!

I'd love to have more people in my life just like that so I hear where you are coming from and I'm sorry you're having a rough time! I feel bad for my kids sometimes because I want them to have the kind of friends I had too! My daughter left her BFF since birth behind when we moved and we haven't found anyone here that comes close to the same as us! I'm one of those moms where the kids spent like 3-4 days at one house, then switched houses, even on school nights! I am constantly inviting friends on outings, but we have been lucky where usually that is reciprocated here for the most part.

Good luck to you, just keep doing what you are doing and one day, hopefully you'll run into someone just like us!

When my oldest was little, I was in the friend-making stage of life. I joined PTA and volunteered for things and sat at sports practices/games and met a bunch of people with kids the same ages as mine, who did the same things I did.

Then we moved and we all had to start over. It was much much harder to find "friends" out of a pool of 5th grade parents who have all known each other for a decade or more. So, I focused on DD's age group of 1st grade parents and found a bunch of friends there. And then honestly, by the time the third kid came along, I don't think I hardly even signed up for a field trip or class party, much less sought out new friends in his age group of parents. Unless a parent has an older kid one of my older kids' ages, I most likely don't know them in DS's 7th grade class. I am old :scared: tired, work ALL. THE. TIME, and am so past being the class mom, Girl Scout Leader, or PTA volunteer.

I am still on the Exec Board of a sports league, and this is the first year I am not coaching in a very long time, but I still don't sit with other parents at games because all they do is complain about coaches and how the board runs things, so I learned a LONG time ago, early in our kids' sports-playing days, to sit far away and enjoy watching my kids on the field instead of joining in on a bash-fest of a group of people who give hundreds of hours of their free time so the children in our community have somewhere to play his/her sport, by a bunch of people who don't lift a finger to help.

I am still friendly to people, but I am at the end of the "friend-making" stage of my kids' lives. I have one kid in college, one in high school, and one in middle school, and they make their own friends now, which leaves me to make friends with people who I *want* to be around, not people I am forced to be around because it is a PR move for my kids' social lives. (not saying that you are doing that, OP!! I am not talking about you at all!! But if your kids are still little, you will see what I mean in a few years....it's tiresome after a while to be nice to people you don't care for, so that your kids don't suffer)

Anyway, it is easiest to make friends with parents whose it's their first rodeo, too, and a lot easier to make friends when your kid is in the same sport/activity for several years in a row, or multiple activities with the same group of kids. When my oldest was little and still playing multiple sports, I would see a mom at football practice in the fall, then our kids would be put on the same basketball team in the winter, and play against each other in baseball in the spring....after a while (it takes time), our "we have sports and kids in common" comments in passing led to actual conversations and friendships. It will come in time, you just have to find the right niche of people.

And the way I found to overcome social anxiety is to volunteer to be the leader. I HATED walking into a class party and have the lead class mom on a power-trip barking out orders or "assigning" me to do a task I didn't want to do or that would isolate me into a corner of the room while she walked around doing all the fun stuff. Or worse, the lead mom who thought she was better than everyone and didn't even greet me when I walked in. So I started being the "in-charge" person, and made sure that I was gracious, warm and inviting to everyone that volunteered, and in return since I was in charge and people HAD to talk to me, lol, I was involved in so many more conversations and interactions with the other parents than I would have been otherwise.

Good luck!

Last edited:

It's hard to make friends at a certain age. I became involved with a mom's group when my son was around a year, did play dates, mom's night out, family get togethers, etc with a group of about 5 other moms, with a few other people who floated in or out of the core group. I realized when my mother passed away unexpectedly, they were more friends of convenience instead of true friends. Skip forward a few years and I have a couple of really good friends that I met through my son's class. We've traveled together, can call with anything big or little and help is offered or support given. There are several other moms I consider friends, and enjoy doing things with but aren't as close as the other two moms/families I just mentioned. We, as adults, are all busy and it's hard to find another person/family that fits your friendship needs but also time and location parameters.

It's hard to make friends at a certain age. I became involved with a mom's group when my son was around a year, did play dates, mom's night out, family get togethers, etc with a group of about 5 other moms, with a few other people who floated in or out of the core group. I realized when my mother passed away unexpectedly, they were more friends of convenience instead of true friends. Skip forward a few years and I have a couple of really good friends that I met through my son's class. We've traveled together, can call with anything big or little and help is offered or support given. There are several other moms I consider friends, and enjoy doing things with but aren't as close as the other two moms/families I just mentioned. We, as adults, are all busy and it's hard to find another person/family that fits your friendship needs but also time and location parameters.
When my mom passed away, I couldn’t have done it without friends. When hospice was called in a couple of days before she died, it took one text, and an hour later, food, drinks, paper plates, cups, etc. started showing up. Over 100 people came through that door (my friends, my moms friends - she had tons - and family). I don’t think I cooked for weeks. I knew I had a lot of people who had my back.

A good friend of mine moved to the Boston area when her kids were entering 7th, 10th, and college. She was bummed because she had to start all over again, and since her kids were older, she joked about having to volunteer all over again (and she did).

I am still friendly to people, but I am at the end of the "friend-making" stage of my kids' lives. I have one kid in college, one in high school, and one in middle school, and they make their own friends now, which leaves me to make friends with people who I *want* to be around, not people I am forced to be around because it is a PR move for my kids' social lives.

This is where I'm at.... my kids are 8, 7, and 5.... most of the moms I have talked to are friendly enough, but my other problem is I am really bad at remembering names, and faces of people look similar/blend together for me so if two moms both have similar facial features (reddish-blond hair and freckles for example), I forget who they are and internally panic, unless they have their child visible with them to help me remember. It doesn't help that I am socially awkward and I don't 'fit in'.... I don't watch soppy network dramas or drive a new SUV or buy leggings.... I drive an old busted minivan, listen to classic rock, 80's pop culture infatuation and wish I could find a friend to go to an anime or comic book convention with, lol. Doesn't help that I also am not living where I grew up, so I'm detached from my real friends that I've known since teen-hood. It is isolating.

This is where I'm at.... my kids are 8, 7, and 5.... most of the moms I have talked to are friendly enough, but my other problem is I am really bad at remembering names, and faces of people look similar/blend together for me so if two moms both have similar facial features (reddish-blond hair and freckles for example), I forget who they are and internally panic, unless they have their child visible with them to help me remember. It doesn't help that I am socially awkward and I don't 'fit in'.... I don't watch soppy network dramas or drive a new SUV or buy leggings.... I drive an old busted minivan, listen to classic rock, 80's pop culture infatuation and wish I could find a friend to go to an anime or comic book convention with, lol. Doesn't help that I also am not living where I grew up, so I'm detached from my real friends that I've known since teen-hood. It is isolating.

Haha, I am terrible at names and faces too! Until the person becomes important to me, I really just don't care enough to remember their face or name. I have two perfect examples just from Sunday alone -

1 - A mom from our 2-4th grade cheer team came up to me and started talking to me after competition Sunday. To keep the conversation going at one point, I asked her which one was her daughter. It was a girl who has not only been on the team since Kindergarten, but also was one on my little ones when I coached the team a couple years ago. I've seen/spoken to the mom probably 25 times in the past 3 years lol Oops! I muddled through that one with an embarrassing excuse of of course I knew that, but I'm pretty sure she walked away thinking I'm a basket case. And in all honestly, I think it would have taken me some extra guesses if I had to pick her out of a crowd.

2 - I raced back home to our town just in time to see DS12's game, which at halftime they did a little flower presentation for the moms. I rarely talk to or sit with other people during the games as I have said upthread and since I am on the board I am usually down somewhere on the track/field during games, so I was walking alone when I hear my name being called. I recognized the voice as a very sweet mom that I have knows since the boys were in 1st grade so I looked up and I swear there were three women walking together and for the life of me, I know the lady was one of them but couldn't figure out *which* one she was until she broke away and came over to give me a hug. How awful am I for not even knowing THAT! And what's worse is, it was game 7 of the season, and this is the first time I have seen her. 6 years of knowing her, our kids are on the same team, and DH is the coach, and 2 months later we finally just say hi. lol

Oh well....

And hey! I don't really "fit in" with the people around here either. They are all so basic and predictable and boring...a bunch of mid-40 year olds who have lived here all their lives, still in the same social groups they were in during high school, going to the same bar together on Sat night, clique'ing their kids off with the kids of their friends from 2nd grade, wearing the same clothes, following the same fashion and hair trends...all afraid to cross each other and risk being kicked out of the "group". It's beyond me that these people cannot make a simple decision without worrying about what Tim from the class of '89 thinks about it. But I have also found that some of them are ACHING for a breath of fresh air from someone new around here, and I was that person for a couple of them and we are now good friends. I don't go sit at the Main Street USA bar with them on Friday nights, but we do have close friendships where they can be themselves and not worry that I will judge them for forgetting to wear pink on Wednesdays. So don't give up!

And hey! I don't really "fit in" with the people around here either. They are all so basic and predictable and boring...a bunch of mid-40 year olds who have lived here all their lives, still in the same social groups they were in during high school, going to the same bar together on Sat night, clique'ing their kids off with the kids of their friends from 2nd grade, wearing the same clothes, following the same fashion and hair trends...all afraid to cross each other and risk being kicked out of the "group". It's beyond me that these people cannot make a simple decision without worrying about what Tim from the class of '89 thinks about it. But I have also found that some of them are ACHING for a breath of fresh air from someone new around here, and I was that person for a couple of them and we are now good friends. I don't go sit at the Main Street USA bar with them on Friday nights, but we do have close friendships where they can be themselves and not worry that I will judge them for forgetting to wear pink on Wednesdays. So don't give up!

It is kind of crazy. I am living in the town where my husband grew up, and yeah it's like that... he says the same groups of people are still hanging out... these are people pushing 40 and they still go play beer pong in each other's garages and go to the same old watering holes. And it's not that some of them aren't nice people, I'm just ... not going to do that, and it is hard to integrate into a group that has been established since the early 90s basically. So I'm friendly and can make chit chat but that's about as far as I can get.

Then there's the times where I think someone actually wants to hang out... but actually they just wanted to try to get me to buy their MLM crap or "host a party". Those make me sad too.

Ah, life.

OP--I am sorry you are lonely and strugglign to find friends. I hope things turn aorund for you.
You have gotten lots of good advice of things yu can try that might help you make friends---but it seems you have a very set idea of how you want to make friends and where and with whom and are not really willing to try any other way. I realize anxiety is playing into that---but if it is to a point that you really cannot bring yourself to try meeting friends in any way other than at your kid´s activites, perhaps you need to seek therapy and get help with the anxiety and that in turn might help you be able to develop friendships.

From my own experience, we moved often for many years. In every place it seemed friends grew out of different things:

One place I ended up getting on best with a neighbor.

The next, we made really good friends at church. It has been 15 years since we moved away, I was just there on a visit and met up with 4 groups---all people I met at that church. One had kids near my kids' ages, but others had much older kids, or no kids at all.

The next we made friends with a neighbor (again) and also ended up involved in a community theatre where we made good friends

Here in Germany, I have a couple of different friend sets--one is the other people I volunteer with via Girl Scouts (my kids are now grown, 2 of them do not have kids yet and three have kids in the 6-8 age range), and in the past couple of years we moved into ab uilding and have made friends with a group of others wh live here (others have no interest).

I have also develeped very close friendships with two groups online. Both stemmed from the DIS years ago but have long since moved on.

It's not really possible to plan when and where friendships form---but if you get out there, go places where you will meet people, and are open to them, they are a lot mroe likely ot happen than if you try to control how it happens

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that people are simply not interested in making friends anymore. Perhaps everyone has all the friends they want by this age in life and so they stop bothering. I don't know. This past week it's been really getting me down. :worried:

For example, there are 13 kids that get on the bus at my son's stop every morning. Almost all those kids have parents that wait with them and have been for years. One of the parents sits on the curb with headphones on, buried in her phone and ignoring everyone else (going on two years now.) Another would never acknowledge me when I tried to say hello. Occasionally some of the kids will try to play with my son in the big open courtyard where we wait, but their parents yell at them to "Come here!", "stop running!" or "put down that stick!" Most of them never even get a chance to speak to my son, let alone play.

(I do have one "mom" neighbor who talks to me and has been friendly, but her son rides a different bus.)

Every year I give a birthday party for my son. Even when the kids were small and the parents used to stay at the party, I never got to talk very much with them beyond an initial hello. The parties were just too busy and everybody seemed occupied. Once though I had an especially odd party where the parents of 13 kids all sat in a corner while I puttered around taking pics, serving food, directing kids and cleaning up while they WATCHED me. They barely even spoke to each other! It was awkward to say the least. :oops:

(I did have a few parties where the parents chatted more, thank goodness! But then I usually don't see them again for another year.)

My husband and I try to set up play dates on occasion. They always go well and the kids have a great time. But the other parents have never reciprocated. Sometimes my son goes outside and looks for other kids to play with, but even though our neighborhood is filled with school age kids, we almost never see them outside. I've tried contacting some parents (different ones than the bus stop parents!) to see if their child can come out and play, and while sometimes this works, these families often so busy, with such complicated schedules, that we have trouble finding any compatible times.

My son has taken regular karate lessons for 3 years. Most of the time, the parents just read their phones or bring work to do with them. I guess I'm guilty of this too, since many times I just read my kindle. Now that the kids are getting older, more and more parents just drop them off and don't even come inside at all.

When my son first started school, I joined the PTA. At the first event I helped out at, I was assigned a job by myself physically distant from all the other volunteers. Every now and then someone would come by and say, "great job!" but I ended up working by myself the whole night.

I tried to join a mom's group when my son was a toddler, but I had a hard time finding other moms to talk to. We went to a "trunk or treat" party the group put on, and we decorated our car really nicely, had music going and candy, just like everyone else, but not a single parent spoke us when their kids came by to our car. After a few events with similar outcomes, I quit the group.

Part of this is probably my fault. I have social anxiety and it's very difficult for me to strike up conversations with strangers. But I can't help but feel like people just aren't interested. I don't know if it's because people are too busy (karate parents, neighborhood parents), too afraid (bus stop parents who won't even let their kids play while waiting) or if everyone is just on social media now instead (on their phones.) I just don't know. :confused3

As you can see, I have been seeing stuff like this for years. How are people supposed to make friends? I've been unsuccessful at it. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I would suggest trying to find friends who share the same interests as YOU do rather than looking for friends among the parents of your child's friends. When I'm sitting around waiting to pick my kids up, I'm worried about my own stuff and focused on that, not on socializing with people who are also picking up their kids. I found very few friends based on my kids social circles...my friends are interested in the same things I am, and that goes way beyond my children. The parents of my children's friends just drew in too much DRAMA, which I was wasn't interested in at all.

Join a group for ADULTS. A running club, a gym, a church, go to an art class, volunteer at a dog rescue, take a zumba class, hang out at the knitting store or join a book club, whatever YOU like. Step away from the children's drama.

Heck if I know. I have the same problem. I have Zero mom friends and we've been in our current town for 3 years.

I'm room mom for my daughter's kindergarten class, so I'm in touch with the parents to a degree, but I'm not friends with anyone. I've been taking my daughter to dance and music lessons since we've been here--no friendships there.

We go to church every week--no friends there either. The MOPS group (mothers of preschoolers) meets during the workday and I work.

No time to volunteer, as I'm not aware of any place to volunteer at that would work with bringing my 3 very young kids around...and I'm not hiring a babysitter to volunteer.

I'm uncomfortable in large groups where everyone seems to already know each other, so that's probably part of my issue. I thank God I have my 20-somthing nanny (who watches my kids while I work) that I can discuss mom/kids stuff with--but she's obviously not a "Friend" that I would go out and do social things with 1:1.

Hugs to you, OP. I know how you feel.

I think it's a bit much to expect that you're going to make friends with the parent of your child's friend and you all will continue as BFF's forever. One of my core groups of friends started as fellow dance moms of girls my oldest danced with as part of a competition team. Initially the girls were the friend relationships, with the moms just along as roadies, sherpas, drivers and checkbooks. Several of us became close and worked out a system to cover our group of kids when a mom or two had a conflict or emergency. Eventually we became quite close friends. The girls aged, some stopped dancing, some continued, some not at the same level of commitment -- eventually they started graduating and went off to college. The girls have drifted apart because their lives went in many different directions with several in other states now. Now the mom friendships are the heart of the connection. I wouldn't trade them for anything. It doesn't bother us that the girls aren't constantly in and out of each other's homes like they used to be. It's fine they've moved on as long as we're free to stay together.

Good friends are hard enough to find. You only increase the odds against it if you make it a package deal with your kid. I've also known it to be devastating to an adult friendship when the kids wind up getting into a scrap about something or other. Don't put such a heavy burden on it. Let your child work on exploring making their friends and you do the same.

Haha, I am terrible at names and faces too! Until the person becomes important to me, I really just don't care enough to remember their face or name. I have two perfect examples just from Sunday alone -

1 - A mom from our 2-4th grade cheer team came up to me and started talking to me after competition Sunday. To keep the conversation going at one point, I asked her which one was her daughter. It was a girl who has not only been on the team since Kindergarten, but also was one on my little ones when I coached the team a couple years ago. I've seen/spoken to the mom probably 25 times in the past 3 years lol Oops! I muddled through that one with an embarrassing excuse of of course I knew that, but I'm pretty sure she walked away thinking I'm a basket case. And in all honestly, I think it would have taken me some extra guesses if I had to pick her out of a crowd.

2 - I raced back home to our town just in time to see DS12's game, which at halftime they did a little flower presentation for the moms. I rarely talk to or sit with other people during the games as I have said upthread and since I am on the board I am usually down somewhere on the track/field during games, so I was walking alone when I hear my name being called. I recognized the voice as a very sweet mom that I have knows since the boys were in 1st grade so I looked up and I swear there were three women walking together and for the life of me, I know the lady was one of them but couldn't figure out *which* one she was until she broke away and came over to give me a hug. How awful am I for not even knowing THAT! And what's worse is, it was game 7 of the season, and this is the first time I have seen her. 6 years of knowing her, our kids are on the same team, and DH is the coach, and 2 months later we finally just say hi. lol

Oh well....

I am the worst with faces and names, and I live in the same town I grew up in, which makes it worse, plus with a bunch of kids with tons of activities, it can be awful (fortunately DH grew up here too, and doesn’t have my issues). He’s in the same band since HS and they play locally. I don’t like going because people from back in the day show up, plus people I really should know their names but don’t.

They played at a big fundraiser, not only did I lie and say I knew who someone was when I didn’t, but I actually hugged a total stranger because I thought she was coming to hug me, but was actually reaching for someone behind me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter