What is the Latest I Can Arrive at the Port and Still Make the Cruise?

shburks

DIS Veteran
That's pretty much my question...what is the latest I can arrive at Port Canaveral and still be allowed to board? 3:00? 3:30?

The lastest port time possible to check on check in is 3:00-3:15 so that’s my guess- personally id aim for 230 as a buffer

On our recent cruise out of Miami, they were still letting people on board while we were well into the muster drill. Our muster drill location was deck 4, outside, facing the gangway from the dock.

Multiple families were running down the hallway, and all were let onboard. Well after 4:00. They actually opened back up the door to the magic to let one last family aboard!

On our recent cruise out of Miami, they were still letting people on board while we were well into the muster drill. Our muster drill location was deck 4, outside, facing the gangway from the dock.

Multiple families were running down the hallway, and all were let onboard. Well after 4:00. They actually opened back up the door to the magic to let one last family aboard!
I wouldn't suggest to the OP that they can count on that...…...

I'm also going to assume that some of this may depend on whether you book transportation through Disney Cruise Line or not. I can see Disney being more inclined to make an exception if it was a flight they booked or stalled transfer bus that caused the person to be late.

We also once saw a family sprinting down the gangway during the muster drill. No idea why they were let on the ship that late, but they were frantic! Not the best way to start your vacation . . .

We also once saw a family sprinting down the gangway during the muster drill. No idea why they were let on the ship that late, but they were frantic! Not the best way to start your vacation . . .
What happened to us was that there was a suitcase left at port that no one claimed and the port was shut down! We were a group of 7, parents, grandparents and three grandchildren. Every time we checked, the port was still closed, but once we saw a policeman who said it was opened, finally! We got there as soon as we could, but yes, we missed muster.

Just the title of this thread alone is giving me anxiety. My boarding time is 1pm? OK I'll be there at 9am just to be sure.

I’m posting this so you’re not frustrated the day you board the ship:)
I need a I’m not being snarky emoji
What you have is a Port Arrival Time (PAT)
When you arrive and check in you will be given a boarding number. The earlier your Port Arrival Time the lower your boarding number.
Your boarding number is tied to your PAT so people arriving after you with a earlier PAT will get a lower boarding number.
Typically at Port Canaveral the Parking garage/drop off area opens at 9:15-9:30. You will wait outside until the terminal opens at 10:30.
Boarding usually begins 11:15-11:30. Concierge and Platinum board first and then they start with everyone else. They call the next number(s) every few minutes and usually have everyone waiting onboard by 12:30-12:45
It’s possible if the terminal reaches capacity (due to fire standards) you could have to wait outside until your PAT. The reason for PAT’s is to keep the terminal from getting over crowded

Last edited:
Just the title of this thread alone is giving me anxiety. My boarding time is 1pm? OK I'll be there at 9am just to be sure.

Amen brother! I'd rather be 5 hours early than 5 minutes late.

A couple of years ago we were on a cruise and leaving out of Cozumel. The ship blasted its horn several times before they untied and started away. An older couple came running down the dock and missed the boat, literally by like 1 minute. The ship was only about 10 feet away from the dock but, too bad, so sad. I'm guessing the shopping spree they were on (as indicated by the multiple shopping bags) wasn't worth the cost of catching the ship at the next port. NEVER push your boarding time.

I think we were on that cruise, too (4-night Bahamian just before the Transatlantic). Though at least from what we witnessed, some of those that were coming aboard during muster weren't running at all, and didn't seem too concerned about making it on to the ship (which seemed nuts to me - I'd have been moving as fast as I possibly could!).

I think we were on that cruise, too (4-night Bahamian just before the Transatlantic). Though at least from what we witnessed, some of those that were coming aboard during muster weren't running at all, and didn't seem too concerned about making it on to the ship (which seemed nuts to me - I'd have been moving as fast as I possibly could!).

Nope. Different cruise - 5 night to Mexico in April. Sounds like the magic is more lenient with the stated all aboard time!

I honestly don't know why anyone would intentionally push the limit like this (maybe I missed it). One little thing goes wrong and you're screwed. You spent thousands and you're willing to risk it to arrive at the very last minute?

Two thumbs WAY WAY up! The worst thing you can do on a cruise is miss the boat.

I can see why someone would ask this question and plan to arrive later. Some people may not want to wait around and it may not be that important to them to be on the ship while just docked at the port. They want to get on the ship and go... I would rather be at the port later so I can just walk right on the ship and not have to sit around and wait for my time to be called. The last time I went on, we parked in the cruise lot, stopped at the check in desk and went right on in. The room was ready so we dropped our stuff off in the room and went to cabanas. That was perfect to me.

I can see why someone would ask this question and plan to arrive later. Some people may not want to wait around and it may not be that important to them to be on the ship while just docked at the port. They want to get on the ship and go... I would rather be at the port later so I can just walk right on the ship and not have to sit around and wait for my time to be called. The last time I went on, we parked in the cruise lot, stopped at the check in desk and went right on in. The room was ready so we dropped our stuff off in the room and went to cabanas. That was perfect to me.
But OP is asking how late they can arrive, as in they want to arrive just before they would not be allowed to get on the ship. That's cutting it a little close, a bit more than just "arriving later".

We're in the group that likes to arrive around 12:30-1:00. Typically, you can check in immediately and walk right on the ship. But I'd never try to time it to arrive at, say, 3:30-4:00.

we don't know why the OP is asking this question but I can understand someone wanting to plan to arrive later rather than being there so early.

Once I missed my red-eye flight from LA to Florida before the cruise. I had to sleep in baggage claim at the airport and take the available first flight out the next morning... with a connection in Atlanta! Luckily, the rest of my family was already at the port, so they went ahead and boarded and talked to the port authorities to let them know I was coming. My flight landed at 3:45 and the all-aboard time was 4:30 (we were leaving from Fort Lauderdale on a RCCL cruise, so the airport is pretty close to the ship). My parents had a limo service come and pick me up from the airport, and when I got to the port, they knew exactly who I was - my family had already filled out all of my paperwork and they had my card waiting, so I went straight to the ship. Last person aboard!

It was very stressful... I wouldn't recommend it.

The lastest port time possible to check on check in is 3:00-3:15 so that’s my guess- personally id aim for 230 as a buffer
We were on the WBPC cruise this year. Two of us seniors took DCL transportation from the hotel to port. Our younger members ran the
Disney Princess half marathon that morning. They rented a car and hit traffic on the Beachline. I was a nervous wreck. Security let me get off the ship and back to the terminal
to wait for them. As soon as the check-in CM's got word that they hit the first security check point and were on port property I went back onto the ship.
I think they arrived on the ship at 3:20PM. They and another family were the last two groups on the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter