What is the most overrated fast food restaurant ?

I find Raising Cane's overrated. Always see a lengthy drive-through line full of people who are intent on ravaging their digestive tract with cafeteria-quality food. The "Raising" title is accurate though: raising cholesterol, acid reflux, risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes induced neuropathy, and probable chance of poltergeists and/or vengeful spirits. I don't have a Yelp account, so please allow me to give them the poison pen here in the Disney message boards.

I like the Five Guys fries. I've seen them taking whole potatoes and slicing them before throwing them into the deep fryer.
Agreed. The burgers are ok, and yes very greasy, but I like their fries and how they're done.

This was in the early 1970's. While I haven't bought a bucket of KFC chicken in decades, that does explain those mystery pieces in the bucket. I suspect these days KFC doesn't even buy whole chickens and cut them up in the restaurants, I suspect they come in pre-cut.
the dark meat tastes better anyway. Never understood the fascination with the breast.

The McNuggets tasted so much better when they were made with dark meat instead of this white processed filler that I'm not even sure can be called chicken.

I find Raising Cane's overrated. Always see a lengthy drive-through line full of people who are intent on ravaging their digestive tract with cafeteria-quality food. The "Raising" title is accurate though: raising cholesterol, acid reflux, risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes induced neuropathy, and probable chance of poltergeists and/or vengeful spirits. I don't have a Yelp account, so please allow me to give them the poison pen here in the Disney message boards.
Raisin Cains, In and Out:

Compared to other fast food equivalents, I consider them good. This isn’t high end dining.
I find McDonald's fries the pinnacle of fast food fries when done right. I've had ones that were under a heat lamp too long and became soggy. But I've never really had In-N-Out fries that I thought were ideal. My wife loves them though. I've had fries at Burger King and Wendy's that I found better than In-N-Out fries. They're more consistent than other fast food fries (because they never go under a heat lamp and are strictly timed with one employee devoted to the task) but I still find them limp.

Here's a description of the problem with In-N-Out fries from a chef:

In-N-Out makes such a good fast food burger. Why are their fries so damn bad? Because they don't double-fry their potatoes — and all of the best French fries in the world are cooked at least twice.​
Steve Samson, the chef and owner of Sotto, Rossoblu and Superfine Pizza, explains why.​
He says In-N-Out starts out well, using the Kennebec, a starchy potato that doesn't have as much sugar as a Russet. This results in fries with a crisp exterior and a soft interior — when they're properly cooked.​
To achieve that, the potatoes must be soaked in water before they're fried, ideally as much as overnight. In-N-Out doesn't do that. They fry their potatoes almost immediately after they cut them. You can see employees using a contraption that looks like an orange juice squeezer to slice fresh potatoes then tossing them in deep fryers, almost immediately after.​
"The only way to make a really good french fry is to cook it at least twice, if not three times," Samson says.​
For the perfect fries, Samson says you should blanch them in oil at 250 to 275 °F for five to six minutes. Then you need to take them out of the oil and lay them flat. You can now refrigerate or freeze them, if you want. Shortly before you plan to serve the fries, drop them into 375 °F oil for a quick, second fry.​
The first fry cooks the potatoes all the way through. The second fry achieves a crisp, golden exterior.​

In-N-Out has great fries? What they use (Kennebec potatoes) are totally unsuitable for the way they cook them. They're soft unless one asks for them well done, and then they have about the consistency of a potato chip.

Those are good potatoes they use, but they need to be double fried. I had Kennebec fries that were slightly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

ALWAYS ask for well-done fries at In-N-Out! Animal Style too if you really want to get crazy.

Maybe they did that in the past (my husband swears they used to cut a whole breast into 3 pieces in the 80's which would create 9 pieces instead of 8), or maybe they do that in Canada, but they certainly don't now in the US. I do at home, though. It makes for better fried chicken with more even cooking to cut the breast into pieces. Of course, at home, I'm not charging by the piece.

Your husband is very close. The older cut was
1 breast (keel portion) 2 rib pieces (which had the outer breast meat on them too), 2 legs, 2 thighs, 2 wings.

Now it is 2 breasts (split breast with rib), 2 legs, 2 thighs, 2 wings.

I am not sure so you'd have to ask KFC and other places that sell or places that cut chicken back at the time the change was made but I think the change was made because of low demand for the rib pieces and people wanted the breast or legs and thighs.

Last edited:
I seriously do not understand the fascination with In-N-Out-blah-not icky just blah
Taco Bell Is an offense to Tacos everywhere.

ALWAYS ask for well-done fries at In-N-Out! Animal Style too if you really want to get crazy.

I've done that before, but then it gets kind of weird. Have you ever seen those little overcooked pieces in McDonald's fries? Often they're just the really thin pieces that just overcook and/or were leftovers from the last frying?

I've done that before, but then it gets kind of weird. Have you ever seen those little overcooked pieces in McDonald's fries? Often they're just the really thin pieces that just overcook and/or were leftovers from the last frying?

Well, I find the well-done fries a good way to go, but Animal Style is just a vehicle for those grilled onions - in fact, why not just get a tray of the grilled onions?

Chic Fil a for sure. Also Taco Bell, ick. When I was chaperoning high school events the kids loved Taco Bell, but I hated it.

A Popeyes is going into my town, never tried them, but will at some point.

Wasn’t impressed with In and Out, but I Love Shake Shack.

That's interesting because from what I've seen in Ontario they've certainly tried to evolve as much, perhaps moreso, than competitors. They'd largely renovated locations to make it more inviting to sit and eat (somewhat irrelevant right now of course). They added touchscreen kiosks, and moved to a ticket system that - in theory - increases the speed of their assemble-to-order process (it doesn't, but it speeds up the ordering part of things). Bakery items for people that just want a croissant. Their app is not bad.
Many McDonald's started renovating much after many other chains were doing it. So what you say doesn't hold much weight. Also, adding kiosks is hardly innovative. But that's a different conversation. McDonald's is also massively franchised. So it's all depending on who owns that particular one or more to make them relevant. All in all, if you look at a menu, you start to realize why it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

I still think of them as the benchmark, that "rated" place you're comparing the other restaurants to.
If you go by that theory, then White Castle would technically be the benchmark. It's all innovation from other chains from there.

Many McDonald's started renovating much after many other chains were doing it. So what you say doesn't hold much weight. Also, adding kiosks is hardly innovative. But that's a different conversation. McDonald's is also massively franchised. So it's all depending on who owns that particular one or more to make them relevant. All in all, if you look at a menu, you start to realize why it's like putting lipstick on a pig.
This may well be a Canada/US thing. Sort of like how A&W is vastly different in the two countries.

If you go by that theory, then White Castle would technically be the benchmark. It's all innovation from other chains from there.
Yeah definitely. It's actually kind of strange that we're 150+ comments in but no one has thought of White Castle as overrated. There must be someone who dislikes their burger so much that they think of it as overrated.

At any given time they all are, right?
And I'll eat at most of them !

back story, I once made my husband pass by a Taco Bell from an Interstate exit cuz I wasn't feeling it. We were driving home from Georgia to Wisconsin. That Taco Bell was in Indiana. We made into central Illinois before we got off the highway to eat. The next day our last leg of the trip home was only about 3 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter