What is the worst dentist appointment you have had?

reecejackox

DIS Veteran
And why

i would when I was about 8 , I had one where he said I needed a tooth out and then went on a rant about not eating cakes , drinks etc , my mum swapped dentist after that.

I was about 7 and went to the local dentist. I got scared and wouldn't open my mouth and he threatened to slap me.
He said it loud enough for my dad to come running in and my dad took me out then he went back in and opened a can of butt whip.
After that I went to a wonderful dentist.

For my dd: This dentist was highly recommended but his office personnel failed to call me and let me know he had to cancel.
So I take her and was like wow end if day is empty.
They were like oh he had to cancel so we won't charge youlol. Well I am charging you for not letting me know because if it were turned around I'd have to pay a fee. They did take off the fee the next time she went.
I had to ask for another hygentist because one of them was new and not kid friendly telling my dd she would have to out her in scream room if she yelled but my dd hadn't said or done anything.
.The final straw was we got there and got into communal exam room and waited for dentist. He had his cell phone yapping about his grand kids blah blah blah.
He finally sat down still having a personal conversation and I said "you are on my dd's appointment time and we have been waiting.
He got off the phone then wanted to start run his mouth. I should respect my elders stuff lol. I said business is business and we were pay for his service not for him to yapnon his cell. I then got my dd and left and dared them to file with my insurance.
My dd next dentist was great and said the first dentist out a thing on my dd's teeth on the wrong area that was 600.00.

Honestly I can't think of a dentist appt that was particularly bad.
I haven't had a cavity since I was 14 and my dentist retired a couple years ago so I started going to the one that took over the practice and she says I have great teeth.

That would be the time that my relatively new-to-the-profession dentist thought she could handle extracting an erupted wisdom tooth, and found out that it was more difficult than it looked. The work started on a Saturday morning at 9, and I didn't walk out of there until 2 pm. (The root of the tooth was shaped like a hook, and she didn't have the right tools to properly pull it, so she kept drilling until she got all the way under it.)

It happened 28 years ago. The hole in my jawbone is large enough to put the tip of my index finger into. It is right next to the hinge of my jaw, and even though the gum healed over it long ago, it sags because of the size of the hole, and food tends to get caught in the pocket. You can easily see it if I open wide; the jawbone there dips down as if it were a slot to fit a dime into.

When I was a kid I was getting my first cavity filled and I was terrified. They gave me no gas, no novacaine, she just demanded I open my mouth with the drill in hand. So I was panicking, with my mouth clamped shut and that witch threatened that if I didn't knock it off and open my mouth she would make my mom leave the room and they'd strap me down and make me. I don't know why my mom didn't take me out right then, but I remember thinking the dentist was insane threatening a kid like that, so I opened up and let her drill with no novacaine. We never went back.

Can't trace it to a specific visit. We had the worst children's dentist when I was young. His theory was "if it doesn't hurt, you won't learn your lesson". Turns out all of us kids have big issues with dentists as adults and weren't aware of where it came from until we talked about it after we grew up.

But, when I was 20, I had to have a root canal done, and the dentist hit a nerve when giving me the Novocaine. I thought I'd been hit with an electrical shock. That was pretty bad.

Beyond any shadow of a doubt having two of my four wisdom teeth removed by my general dentist when I was 28. He convinced me there was "no reason" to have an oral surgeon do it, and I stupidly believed him. I was scheduled to have all 4 done. He spent (and I kid you not on this) 3.5 hours pulling two teeth. It was RIDICULOUS. He finished those two and said "should we start the other two." No! I got a referral to the oral surgeon instead, and went the next morning. He pulled the remaining two in less than 10 minutes. Lesson learned. General dentists are great at cavities and similar work. When you need teeth pulled, go to an oral surgeon. My current general dentist doesn't touch extractions with a ten foot pole. She knows her level of expertise and does not want to create unnecessary trauma for her patients!

I was 7 and had to have a tooth pulled. It was actually 2 teeth but they were fused together at the root, a rare genetic anomaly. The dentist wouldn't even let me have the teeth for the tooth fairy since it was such a rare condition, devastating for a 7 year old. I wrote a note to the tooth fairy and got rewarded $1. I thought I was rich since I usually only got a quarter. My mom kept the note and recently gave it to me.

The following year we were at a different dentist and he used no novacaine on a tooth that needed a root canal. I was in pain for days after that and started a phobia of dentists that I still have 50+ years later. My next dentist would only see me as his last patient of the day because when he was done with me he went to confession. I had a tendency to bite and not let go. I now go only when absolutely necessary but I always made sure my kids went on a regular basis. One daughter inherited her father's great teeth, the other 2 kids have my lousy teeth.

My son has a phobia like me because his 1st visit they strapped him to the chair. It was a highly recommended pediatric dentist and he was only there for a check-up at 2 years old. I couldn't go back because I had a newborn daughter and they did not allow parents in the treatment area. When I found out what they did I flipped out and he never went back there again but the damage was done.

When I had a reaction to the anesthesia they gave me for my wisdom tooth surgery and I didn't wake up for half a day.

When I was a kid, my brother had to go to the dentist and the dentist drilled a hole through his tongue. We changed dentists that day. We later found out the dentist had a drug and alcohol problem.
Ouch! OMG. You win. That does sound like the worst dentist. Lol.
My dentist used to punch my cheek when I couldn’t open wide enough as a kid.

15. Had to have a tooth worked on, which was cracked. The novocaine didn't take. I sat there for nearly 2 hours because the dentist walked out, after telling me "When you're through screaming I'll be back." I'd taken a school bus there, and my dad was picking me up after he got out of work. I was still in the torture chair when he arrived.
Never went back to him. Had a much better dentist for several years, but he retired.

I don't have anything quite as horrifying as some of these. Probably my worst is the fact that my body metabolizes the Novocaine faster than the average person so I'll start to feel the procedure after a while if they don't inject more. This wasn't something I realized until I was an adult though. My childhood dentist would just tell me to stop moaning and then kept talking about Survivor with the dental assistants as he worked on my teeth 😒 Pretty uncomfortable.

Back when I was a kid (practically the Stone Age) most dentists didn't use novocaine when filling children's teeth. The belief was as they weren't permanent, and had no real roots, there was no real pain so novocaine wasn't necessary. That's pretty wrong, and with all the silver fillings in my teeth, I can attest to that!

When I was in my late teens I went to a dentist who used gas instead of novocaine. I thought I was in heaven after the experiences of my childhood. Unfortunately this was a guy who did two very deep filings in 2 molars, and did them improperly. They were overfilled and I was in agony once the gas wore off. I actually dug the filling out of one tooth in my sleep that night. Took me 2 visits for him to "get it right" and was at the oral surgeon within a year to have both molars extracted.

My current dentist is a peach, who is amazing at pain control (to be fair, a lot more is known about dentistry now than in the 1960s). My theory of dentistry is that I should be numb pretty much from the belly button on up, and he laughs with me but pretty much agrees that there should be no pain associated with dentistry. Unfortunately the psychological trauma of my childhood is strong, and I absolutely HATE to go (and consequently don't go very often). Luckily, I have decent teeth and take good care of them, so fortunately I haven't had many serious issues arise.

Back when I was a kid (practically the Stone Age) most dentists didn't use novocaine when filling children's teeth. The belief was as they weren't permanent, and had no real roots, there was no real pain so novocaine wasn't necessary. That's pretty wrong, and with all the silver fillings in my teeth, I can attest to that!

When I was in my late teens I went to a dentist who used gas instead of novocaine. I thought I was in heaven after the experiences of my childhood. Unfortunately this was a guy who did two very deep filings in 2 molars, and did them improperly. They were overfilled and I was in agony once the gas wore off. I actually dug the filling out of one tooth in my sleep that night. Took me 2 visits for him to "get it right" and was at the oral surgeon within a year to have both molars extracted.

My current dentist is a peach, who is amazing at pain control (to be fair, a lot more is known about dentistry now than in the 1960s). My theory of dentistry is that I should be numb pretty much from the belly button on up, and he laughs with me but pretty much agrees that there should be no pain associated with dentistry. Unfortunately the psychological trauma of my childhood is strong, and I absolutely HATE to go (and consequently don't go very often). Luckily, I have decent teeth and take good care of them, so fortunately I haven't had many serious issues arise.
Sounds like we went to the same dentists.

I had an absolutely wonderful dentist for years (as an adult) whose philosophy was "you should never feel pain". He used nitrous oxide and lidocaine (no longer used Novocaine). He was also alert to when I had had enough of sitting in the chair and would stop work (to be finished up at later appointment). Sadly, he retired. I found another dentist that I like almost as much. However, since I'm now on Medicare, he's not on the plan. And all the dentists on the plan that I can use - I haven't found one that has nitrous.

I went in for a filling on one of my lower molars and during the numbing procedure the dentist hit the facial nerve. It caused temporary palsy (drooping of my face) and difficulty controlling my eye. That coupled with the pain (I have a really, really high pain tolerance) caused me to think I was having a stroke at 35. He then brought in all his staff to look at my face, and said "This is rare, you will probably never see this again". They never saw me again either.

When I was 8 or 9, I had to get a baby tooth pulled because my adult tooth was coming in over it. I was so scared and screaming because the tooth wasn’t that loose. I dreaded the dentist after that. Then after I got braces, i had to get more baby teeth pulled (I was almost 12 and still had all my baby molars). At least I was put under for that, but it took so long for my permanent teeth to grow in it was hard to eat anything.

I went in for a filling on one of my lower molars and during the numbing procedure the dentist hit the facial nerve. It caused temporary palsy (drooping of my face) and difficulty controlling my eye. That coupled with the pain (I have a really, really high pain tolerance) caused me to think I was having a stroke at 35. He then brought in all his staff to look at my face, and said "This is rare, you will probably never see this again". They never saw me again either.

I had this happen to me once as well. The dentist was actually quite proud of himself for hitting the nerve dead-on. I asked (in so many words, yet) for an apology, and he didn't see any need to feel bad about the situation. Once that procedure was finished I walked out with absolutely no intention of ever going back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter