What kind of numbers does Florida need to come off of the quarantine list?

I think this relaxation of the rule makes sense. It's similar to the fact that NY announced that New Jersey is exempt from the quarantine list no matter how bad its numbers might get. In effect, the governor recognizes that to close the exchange of people between NY and NJ is simply unrealistic. I suppose it is possible that NY might reconsider this should NJ's numbers get far worse than we can imagine, but as of now that's my understanding. Now, that's not So, similarly, I think NY recognizes that it is too much of an imposition to ask residents to risk quarantine any time they travel to a state not on the list if there is no guarantee that state(s) they visit won't be put on the list while they are away. In both cases, it's an exemption not based on science or uniform standards, but still rooted in reality.
I get that, but that speaks to how illogical the whole thing is to begin with. The risk of exposure is the risk of exposure, no matter how much an imposition it is. If anything, neighboring New Jersey poses more of a risk than other states with all the transients. The NY Governor seems to want to limit exposure to nothing, yet there's exceptions to his policies all over the place. If FL came off our list today and we went, and then FL was added back on Saturday while we were still there, my risk to NY when I return would be no different than someone else who traveled to FL on Saturday and then returned to NY. To clarify, I am NOT wanting more quarantines and less exemptions! Not at all. But I would have less of a problem with the whole thing if it were more consistent and made more sense.

On an unrelated note and to get back on topic, is there a web site anyone uses that conveys FL numbers on a daily basis? The site I use updates every Tuesday, but I'd prefer to check daily as we get closer to our trip.

On an unrelated note and to get back on topic, is there a web site anyone uses that conveys FL numbers on a daily basis? The site I use updates every Tuesday, but I'd prefer to check daily as we get closer to our trip.

I use https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/#latest-stats. But, if you are looking for the cases per 100000 of population or whatever the second NY criteria is, it doesn't have that. Also, the Percentage presented in the graph is the percentage of NEW positives calculated on a daily basis, It may or may not be close to the statistic NY is looking at, I'm not sure.

I think this relaxation of the rule makes sense. It's similar to the fact that NY announced that New Jersey is exempt from the quarantine list no matter how bad its numbers might get. In effect, the governor recognizes that to close the exchange of people between NY and NJ is simply unrealistic. I suppose it is possible that NY might reconsider this should NJ's numbers get far worse than we can imagine, but as of now that's my understanding. Now, that's not So, similarly, I think NY recognizes that it is too much of an imposition to ask residents to risk quarantine any time they travel to a state not on the list if there is no guarantee that state(s) they visit won't be put on the list while they are away. In both cases, it's an exemption not based on science or uniform standards, but still rooted in reality.

In CT (so I'm assuming very similar to NY and NJ), our rule is that if you travel to an "affected" state for less than 24 hours, you are not required to quarantine. I'm assuming this is mostly to allow those who work across state lines (which, obviously is incredibly prevalent within the tri-state CT/NJ/NY area) to be able to go to work every day and not quarantine. As you said, rooted in reality, but not necessarily on science!

I leave a week from today and Florida is so close to being taken off the list!!! I really hope it's lifted this Tuesday! The bad news is that Florida had a positivity of 11.0% yesterday up from 10.6%. But it may hit the less than 10 cases per 100,000 people metric.

I leave a week from today and Florida is so close to being taken off the list!!! I really hope it's lifted this Tuesday! The bad news is that Florida had a positivity of 11.0% yesterday up from 10.6%. But it may hit the less than 10 cases per 100,000 people metric.
I'm curious how the metrics have been since the Phase 3 re-opening. Perhaps not enough time has passed to know whether that will cause a spike. Keeping my fingers crossed on that!

https://covidactnow.org/us/fl/?s=1095243 updates daily with the 7 day average positivity percentage and the per 100k average. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/florida also updates daily, but just with the 7 day positivity rate.

Us New yorker's too! Leave in 2 weeks, looks like it is around 11%. Come on, so close! When I first started looking it was above 17%.

Us New yorker's too! Leave in 2 weeks, looks like it is around 11%. Come on, so close! When I first started looking it was above 17%.
I noticed that it was at 11%..but I wasn’t able to find the cases per 100,000 today.

Ct is now doing covid testing right at the airport (Bradley). Results are supposed to be available in 24 hours. Quarantine will end as soon as a negative test result is received.
That's interesting. Isn't the 14 day quarantine determined because the virus can develop within 14 days after being exposed? If you are exposed in FL (or wherever) and you are tested same day you return home, but the virus develops on day 4 of being home, doesn't that defeat the purpose? This was my understanding as to why a negative test was not sufficient for avoiding the quarantine mandate, at least here in NY.

We leave in 2 weeks also! Its my understanding that FL will need to get to 10% or less and stay there for 7 days in order to get to that 7 day rolling average of 10% that's required to come off the list. The 11% yesterday was up from I think 10.5% last week, and I have to imagine that's due to FL's phase 3 re-opening. I fear it will be higher next week, and then we'll be out of time to get to that 7 day average that's needed for it to come off before our trip. Sigh.

I noticed that it was at 11%..but I wasn’t able to find the cases per 100,000 today.
This site shows it per 100,000. The 11% is based on that, so it would need to get to 10% or lower to come off NY's list.

http://rochester.nydatabases.com/da...fhOkicIL-OxB9nSNG52zKK7raQ_DR0w7JEnZtehsE_QkU

Ct quaratine requirements:

Can travelers be tested for COVID-19 instead of self-quarantine? Yes, an Affected Traveler is exempt from the self-quarantine requirement if the Affected Traveler (1) has had a test for COVID-19 in the seventy-two (72) hours prior to arrival in Connecticut or at any time following arrival in Connecticut, (2) the result of such COVID-19 test is negative, and (3) he or she has provided written proof of such negative test result to the Commissioner via email to: DPH.COVID-Travel@ct.gov or via facsimile to: (860) 326-0529. If a test was obtained in the seventy-two (72) hours prior to arrival in Connecticut, or following arrival in Connecticut, and such Affected Traveler has not yet received his or her test results, such traveler shall remain in self-quarantine in Connecticut until a negative test result is submitted to the Commissioner. If the test result is positive and the traveler is asymptomatic, he or she shall self-isolate for ten (10) days from the date of the test; if symptomatic, he or she should seek medical assistance. Travelers who test positive for COVID-19 prior to traveling to Connecticut should delay such travel and consult with a medical professional. All Affected Travelers are required to complete the Travel Health Form.

Does anyone know if there’s checkpoints between NY and FL? We leave in 12 days and I’m debating flying or driving there. We have to quarantine in NY when we get back regardless if we fly or drive, but I don’t want to hit a checkpoint at every state I cross when driving there and home.

Can travelers be tested for COVID-19 instead of self-quarantine? Yes, an Affected Traveler is exempt from the self-quarantine requirement if the Affected Traveler (1) has had a test for COVID-19 in the seventy-two (72) hours prior to arrival in Connecticut or at any time following arrival in Connecticut, (2) the result of such COVID-19 test is negative, and (3) he or she has provided written proof of such negative test result to the Commissioner via email to: DPH.COVID-Travel@ct.gov or via facsimile to: (860) 326-0529. If a test was obtained in the seventy-two (72) hours prior to arrival in Connecticut, or following arrival in Connecticut, and such Affected Traveler has not yet received his or her test results, such traveler shall remain in self-quarantine in Connecticut until a negative test result is submitted to the Commissioner. If the test result is positive and the traveler is asymptomatic, he or she shall self-isolate for ten (10) days from the date of the test; if symptomatic, he or she should seek medical assistance. Travelers who test positive for COVID-19 prior to traveling to Connecticut should delay such travel and consult with a medical professional. All Affected Travelers are required to complete the Travel Health Form.

Is that new? I swear a few weeks ago they weren't accepting a negative test in place of quarantine.

I believed you, I just found it to be an odd policy. Even though I like it better than New York's policy, it makes even less sense than New York's policy since apparently the incubation period for the virus is 14 days after exposure.

Does anyone know if there’s checkpoints between NY and FL? We leave in 12 days and I’m debating flying or driving there. We have to quarantine in NY when we get back regardless if we fly or drive, but I don’t want to hit a checkpoint at every state I cross when driving there and home.
I've not heard of any. I know several people who have driven to PA and NC, and none of them hit any check points.

There were none between MA and FL on 9/26-27. Driving back home now.

We got covid tests this morning before starting the drive home at the Maingate location and it was super quick and easy.

So NY numbers are unfortunately rising. I wonder if we reach 10% here in NY if Cuomo will allow us to travel to other states that are at about the same levels without having to quarantine. My trip is in November and I’m hoping we don’t have to cancel. I wouldn’t mind having to take a test upon return to avoid quarantine. We did a 14 day quarantine in September after our trip. It was not fun 😔

Last edited:
Does Southwest airlines provide a passenger list to the NY health officials waiting for you when you get off the airplane at NY airports?

Does Southwest airlines provide a passenger list to the NY health officials waiting for you when you get off the airplane at NY airports?
I'm reasonably certain they all do, though admittedly I do not have experience with SouthWest. When my daughter flew home on American to NY from Michigan, when Michigan was not even on the list, the whole system was very integrated. She received a copy of the NY form and rules from AA before she boarded, and received follow up communications from NYS DOH during the 2 week period after she arrived -- even though they had already certified based on her form that she did not have to quarantine. I would be shocked if any major airline were opting out of this system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter