What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day!,Sept TR-Cape May HooRay 4/14

I just had to take a picture of my DD and share, please excuse the colander she so lovingly decided was her hat and the other misc. toys laying about lol. We have just a short 3 1/2 weeks until her first Disney trip and I have been showing her trip videos to get her prepared for characters and rides etc. We have been watching your familys' videos as well as the Red Sox family videos. (pretty sure the dad is a dis-member but not sure what his actual name is-dancing Incredible dad?) My DD just LOVES to watch your girls. Every night before we put her down to bed for the past week we have been using our countdown calendar and watching a mix of 2-4 videos. All I have to say is are you ready to watch the Disney girls? lol She gets so excited or if she hears the music she will immediately stop whatever she is doing to watch. I just wanted to share with you, thanks to your husband for making such AWESOME videos (that by the way are my DH favorites) and to your family for sharing your vacation memories with us all. :grouphug: We just got our new Vixia camcorder in the mail today and DH is very excited to put it to use, I hope our video is as awesome as yours.

Now I need to get caught up on your TR while I get our shirts washed to make our fancy dis-signs.
20140406_205508_zps3dd2b9da.jpg

Finally, it was our turn, and I wheeled a very happy Brynn up to the window. I'm not sure how the DAS will work, but for the GAC, the CM would ask what accommodations the guest might need. In Brynn's case, she needed to use her stroller as a wheelchair, and she needed an alternate entrance. I'll explain.

Brynn wears leg braces because of the damage her dystonia has done to her ankles, and her legs get very tired after walking a while. She walks fine, just not long distances, so we don't own an actual wheelchair for her since we don't do much trekking around here at home. She needed to be able to go into line with her stroller when she couldn't stand anymore. Aside from that, she needs a "safe spot" at times. She likes the familiarity of her very own stroller, and she can pull down her very large shade and hide from everyone. It prevents meltdowns, and therefore allows us to be able to keep touring the parks. If she gets very upset, there's really no point in being at the park--it would be work, not fun.

The alternate entrance request was for a couple of reasons. If she isn't in her stroller, sometimes she just needs an area with plenty of space so she can move and not feel crowded. The time we used this most was in pre-shows, like Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor or MuppetVistion3d. It really benefits everyone if she has space. She either dislikes being around people so much that she will throw a fit, which involves flailing limbs at times, and that's dangerous for anyone in her vicinity, OR she LOVES people too much and wants to touch them everywhere. She knows no boundaries. If she thinks your pants look like a cool texture, she will rub her hands allllllll over them, if you catch my drift. Or she'll attach to someone and hang. We come to Disney in September for the low crowds, and we try to keep crowds away from her even in line.

We were given our GAC card, which you need to display for CMs (I put mine in my lanyard pouch) and the red stroller=wheelchair tag, and we were on our way.

I am loving your trip report! I have a question about your DAS or GAC.

I have twins that have various levels of sensory processing disorder, self regulation, and our daughter has hypertonia which causes her muscles to be too stiff to walk or move at times. We need their stroller as a wheelchair and to be able to use alternate entrances as well. Did you have to show doctor proof or what did you have to do to make this happen for your daughter?

I have twins that have various levels of sensory processing disorder, self regulation, and our daughter has hypertonia which causes her muscles to be too stiff to walk or move at times. We need their stroller as a wheelchair and to be able to use alternate entrances as well. Did you have to show doctor proof or what did you have to do to make this happen for your daughter?
Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES Board.
Near the top of that board there is a thread about the DAS (Disability Access Service) at WDW. Post one of that thread is a DAS FAQs that should be able to answer all your questions. DAS took the place of GAC on October 9, 2013.

Children whose only needs are mobility related will get a stroller as wheelchair tag for their stroller and would not get a DAS card.
Guests with needs related to waiting in line besides mobility needs would get a DAS card. Guests need to explain their needs related to waiting in line; there is no need for a doctor's letter and CMs will refuse to look at it.

The stroller as wheelchair tag allows the stroller to be treated just like a wheelchair and go wherever wheelchairs go. In many cases, the entire line is wheelchair accessible and the stroller will go into the line.
Some attractions have a separate wheelchair waiting or boarding area; the stroller as wheelchair tag allows access to that area with the stroller (DAS is not required for that - just the stroller as wheelchair tag).
This is a picture of the handicapped waiting area at Laugh Floor. Guests with wheelchairs and mobility devices wait to the right side of the picture. As the room fills, the area on the left side of the picture will be totally filled with guests.
2590P4110266.JPG

The DAS allows guests to get a Return Time equal to the current Standby wait time, minus 10-15 minutes. During that wait time, the guest and their group can go on other attractions with short waits, do something else (eat, bathroom, etc.) or wait in the place of their choice.
They can go to the attraction any time after the Return Time has passed; access will be thru the Fastpass line.

Most people who have used the new DAS system are finding it actually works quite well. It is meant to be used with Fastpass Plus (Fastpass at Disneyland) and works best when used with Fastpass Zplus.

Hi Jenn :wave2:

I found your trip report via Dani's & obviously had to read it! Sorry not to have posted before now but I'm finally all caught up & really enjoying it so far! :)

You have an adorable family! :goodvibes It's great that you all have such a strong friendship with Dani & Matt too :)

I loved watching your trip video...Brandon did a fantastic job with it & yes, there were a few tears at the end!!

Am I going mad or did you used to have links to past trip reports on your posts?? I'm sure I remember seeing them & thinking that I'd like to catch up on the reports at some point, but the links aren't there now...:confused3

Looking forward to reading more! :thumbsup2

Very best wishes,
Siân.xx
So glad you liked it!
And, yes, I did have links! I had to remove them for space issues, but if you search for "Twirling Through the World: The Magic, The Memories, and the Maladies" and "Island Hopping: A Highly Inappropriate TR," I'm sure you'll find them! I'll come back later and post links if I remember! I'm updating right now, so I'll put it on my list!

I think I may have mentioned on Instagram but I ADORE your trip video! It's so much fun to watch and your family is so cute! I've definitely watched it multiple times already! Brandon is so talented and thank you both for sharing all your memories! :goodvibes

Sounds like you guys had a nice relaxing afternoon! Innoventions is a fun place, made all the more fun by the air conditioning.

:rotfl2: at you having to remind the kids not to try it out on your tv at home!
Thanks, Courtney! It was a great afternoon, so relaxing. And the night was just as great!

Just saw the video and it was awesome! I think the 2012 one is still my Dave tho. In the video I saw your family magic tour and looks like your guide was Anna (at least I think that was her name) she was the tour got ours and she was wonderful! Our tour kinda sucked but she was awesome. It was v and I and then a large family group of pushy competitive kids so she was very shy and didn't really do much. Anna dud make sure she had things to do and was included. I wish we could do it again but I'm doubting the story changes!
YES! That was her name!! She was wonderful. I was thinking the same thing about the story. Since they have all the clues now, I don't think it would be fun...at least until some time has passed and they possibly forget!

Hey Girl!

Love the pics of you with your Starbuck's! You don't even look like you're present, you look like your off in your own little happy place:rotfl: Shanleigh gets the same look when she has hers!:thumbsup2

Great pictures again and what a fun day!
I am! It's my happy place for sure! See, I knew I liked Shan!:rotfl2:

I'm am a Starbucks fan as well and I'm really excited to see it in the parks too! Looks like you all had a busy afternoon even with the looming rain. Can't wait to hear about your dinner!
I'm updating it right now! YAY!

I just had to take a picture of my DD and share, please excuse the colander she so lovingly decided was her hat and the other misc. toys laying about lol. We have just a short 3 1/2 weeks until her first Disney trip and I have been showing her trip videos to get her prepared for characters and rides etc. We have been watching your familys' videos as well as the Red Sox family videos. (pretty sure the dad is a dis-member but not sure what his actual name is-dancing Incredible dad?) My DD just LOVES to watch your girls. Every night before we put her down to bed for the past week we have been using our countdown calendar and watching a mix of 2-4 videos. All I have to say is are you ready to watch the Disney girls? lol She gets so excited or if she hears the music she will immediately stop whatever she is doing to watch. I just wanted to share with you, thanks to your husband for making such AWESOME videos (that by the way are my DH favorites) and to your family for sharing your vacation memories with us all. :grouphug: We just got our new Vixia camcorder in the mail today and DH is very excited to put it to use, I hope our video is as awesome as yours.

Now I need to get caught up on your TR while I get our shirts washed to make our fancy dis-signs.
20140406_205508_zps3dd2b9da.jpg
This is AMAZING, and perhaps the biggest compliment ever!:goodvibes We have done this same thing with a couple of videos for our kids, so actually becoming one of those videos? Priceless.
Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

The moderator for the disabilities board answered just below your question and covers it very thoroughly. In short, though, no. Just be prepared to tell them what you'll need and why. You will need both the stroller tag and the DAS, as sometimes you'll need an alternate entrance/alternate waiting area and won't have the stroller (if you're like us, which it seems you really are). No doctor proof, just a quick explanation of concerns about waiting in a regular line. If it's going to cause a meltdown to be touched by someone else, if they'll want to touch TOO much, if licking or thrashing might happen...those are things that an alternate entrance is great for. Just go to guest services at any park. Hope that helps!

Strolling through the International Gateway on our way to our dinner reservation was a new experience for us, and we were hooked immediately. What a nice, leisurely stroll along the water it is! It's so quiet and isn't crowded at all. And being here with the best people on the planet didn't hurt, either ;-).

Once we neared Beach Club, the girls darted into the sand before I could tell them not to. I can't blame them--what kid can resist sand?!

(Sawyer was like, "Nah, I'm good. I'll just chill here.")

But I knew what was coming, and I was right. Whining about sand in their shoes. For Julia, no problem. She quickly popped her shoes off, shook them, and went about her merry way. With Brynn, however, it entailed a little more. She always forgets how much sand in her shoes bothers her. We found a bench to brush off sand, and keep brushing, and keep brushing--I'm just glad we'd taken off her leg braces a bit earlier to give her legs some air, or we'd still be removing sand! She was pouting just a bit.

Still, sitting on a bench outside of Beach Club is not something to complain about! What a gorgeous resort!

Soon we were hit with the Beach Club Lobby Smell...or should I write it like "THE" Beach Club Lobby Smell. People try to bottle this scent, it's so good.
We went over to the check-in desk for Cape May Cafe, where they had us listed as a party of seven adults. Even though my kids think they're grown, that doesn't quite work in terms of dining plan credits, so I changed it. We parked our strollers and were soon seated at a table near the buffet, which is the best.

The kids were immediately impressed with the tables covered in paper and the crayons provided. Okay, adults, too.

Once our drink orders were taken, it was time to put our buffet method to work. We've been using this system so long that we don't even think, just act, but since Dani and Matt commented that they were impressed with how we handle a dinner with three little wild people (okay, they would never call my kids that...they're way too nice, or just wrapped around their fingers or something), I'll describe how we roll.

One parent sits. This parent is in charge of entertainment and child watching. It consists of things like, "OH, HEY, look what I drew! Who wants to play tic-tac-toe? Do you want to play with straws? Don't eat the butter straight out of the packet. No, you may not have the sugar packets." And so on and so forth.

Meanwhile, the other parent sprints, and I mean that in a very literal sense, up to the buffet, grabbing enough plates for all three kids. This parent does not, however, balance three plates full of food, but instead stacks them together, then piles as much kid-friendly food on the top plate as it can hold. Back at the table, plates are thrown in the general direction of each child, then the food distributed onto those plates. Food-runner parent sits and becomes entertainment parent. Former entertainer parent gets a plate for himself, also grabbing an extra plate filled with fruit and cheese and all the replenishment-type things kids will inevitably ask for. Once this parent returns, the other parent gets food, also grabbing an extra plate of kid stuff.
Wash, rinse, repeat. It's a well-choreographed dance, really.

So, we were eating, and the food was good, as it usually is here. Kids were cramming in pizza, Dani was digging the mac-and-cheese, Matt and I ate crab legs like whoa, and Brandon was downing tubs of hummus. It was such a pleasant dinner. So much laughter. I'm so glad to have all of these people as my family.

Aaaaaand then my children convinced Dani to try lemons. They eat them like they're nothing and just thought it would be hilarious if Dani ate one, too. No lie, it was, and you know what I'm talking about if you've seen her video. Priceless!

Next came a rousing round of "Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Neutral." Always a crowd pleaser, as is Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Dani came to my rescue with some Advil, as all this laughing had sort of caused a headache. NO REGRETS.

While waiting for the bill and for their slow adult counterparts to FINISH EATING ALREADY, UGH, the girls came up with a game they called "Crayon School." Kids can make anything into toys, I swear. In this case, it was the crayons and the cups they were delivered in. They all had personalities and they talked and did school activities. They not only ended up playing this all night, but still play it to this day---except it's now expanded to include paper costumes for the crayons. This just goes to show that you never know what you'll take away from a Disney vacation!

Sawyer, on the other hand, decided the best course of action for his crayons was to draw on mom and dad's clothing.

We were super full and satisfied and it was time to walk off some the buffet belly, so we made our way outside. Dani and Matt had other plans to head up to their room or possibly swim (spoiler: they ended up at MK) , but we were going back to our room via Epcot (spoiler: we ended up staying until closing). Strolling through the International Gateway at dark was even better than before. There was a slight breeze, the lights were bouncing off the water, and it was still and quiet.

Epcot at night? PERFECTION.

We stopped at the UK Pavilion because my headache needed a beer, apparently. Not the most logical thing ever, but somehow it worked. Hooray, Bass Ale!

We took the time to look around and do some Irish dancing to Off Kilter playing on the stage of the Canada Pavilion. I like the lady in the background watching Julia and smiling.

We strolled through so slowly, and it was the most relaxing feeling.

Nothing better.

And since I'm pretty much famous for my tiny bladder and extensive knowledge of Disney restrooms, you may be shocked to hear that we then found some that I DID NOT KNOW EXISTED!!! Be amazed! It's rare.

We were going to cut through behind Club Cool to go to the restrooms on the other side, but once we made it into the hallway, realized there were some hidden ones there in the area no one goes to! They were empty and clean and smelled just like they had been cleaned for the morning, but at night (oh, you know I know when a Disney bathroom has just been cleaned).
Done with that, we headed over to Mission: Space for Julia to ride. Since I was recovering from my headache, and since I have been the one forced on this ride in the past despite my severe dislike of confined spaces, Brandon went with her. BRANDON. Who cannot stand spinning. Who gets dizzy walking. Brandon.

Sawyer was asleep by now, and Brynn just played Crayon School on the bench next to me while they rode. I took the time to update my trip journal and just soak in the atmosphere.

They made it out in one piece and with all of their dinner still safely in their tummies! HOORAY! Brandon was very proud of himself, and I was, too...even if it was just the Green side.

Looking at the time, it was almost time for Illuminations already, so we decided we'd just go ahead and see it, even though we hadn't planned on that. We found a spot quickly and broke out the glow stick necklaces and bracelets and some flashing wands. Sadly, I don't have pictures of it, but on our video you can clearly see this--it's me staring in awe at the fireworks as Julia and Brynn "conduct" the music with their glow sticks. Oh, Illuminations! You get me every time! We go on, indeed!

We had three crashed kids before we made it back to the room, just like the night before. Luckily, the next morning wouldn't be quite so early, and the next day would be far from rushed.

Stay tuned as we splash and sparkle!

You guys have an Awesome dining system there!!! You should've sent Matt up first and see his balancing skills. Cape May has been one restaurant we haven't tried yet. Food selection and location is great. Thanks for the update

Oh my goodness what a lovely and wonderful evening!! I do really want to eat at cape may! It looks fantastic and sounds like a great time! You guys really do have an awesome buffet system worked out for meals, that's amazing!!

Love the epcot pictures, i haven't been there in the evening in so long, but it really is gorgeous!!

Thank you for your response! I am also glad to see there are other parents doing the "dining dance" that my DH and I do with our 4 kids :)

Seriously the international gateway may just be my favorite spot in all of the world! The first time we ever went through it was at night and we had no idea what to expect. It was magic! So glad you liked it and had a wonderful time!!

Also love the buffet dance.

We had a Cape May adr last fall that was cancelled in favor of Via Napoli. You have me convinced to give it a try next trip. We really need to walk that International Gateway.

I think Epcot is my favorite park at night, especially World Showcase!

What a fantastic update! I think I read the whole thing with a big smile on my face. :) It sounds like you had such a great dinner and night in EPCOT.

It's so cool that your family has been able to become such great friends with Dani and Matt. Gotta love the Disboards for creating friendships like these!

I just can't help gushing over the fact that you all met here on the boards. I just think it is so wonderful that you've developed this amazing friendship that extends far beyond the boards. I feel so fortunate to have developed similar relationships so I love hearing about your time together so much. :goodvibes

I have absolutely fallen in love with the Boardwalk/Beach/Yacht Club area and the International Gateway. I just can't imagine a Disney trip now without an extended visit there. Breathtaking.

Epcot is just so beautiful at night! I could just stroll around for hours!

I'm loving your buffet method!! I've never had to worry much about it before, but with our new addition to the family I think we will put this to good use!! Thanks for the tips!

sounds like a very nice meal with very nice people just enjoying each other's company. And good Buffet system - when the adult goes up for their own food, being sure to bring back another plate of refill food for the kids is key!

EPCOT at night is pretty tremendous!

And getting a beer sounds like a perfect idea to me ... remember, Beer: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems

love Illuminations and just hanging with family and playing with glow sticks! Perfect end to a day!

Oh, and Crayon School sounds like the name of an indie rock bank that I am not cool enough to know about ;)

How fun! I have always wanted to try Cape May, now I really want to! I love the crayon game. But even more I love to hear if children curing boredom the old fashioned way! Very cute!

Ok, I don't normally post in trip reports (I'm a bit shy!) but since I found a life changing nugget of information in your update (hello awesome buffet strategy!!!) I thought I would pass along one of my favorite nuggets... Baby powder works wonders for removing sand from little feet, hands, legs... You name it. Just dump a bunch on and the sand brushes right off like magic. Seriously. I keep a container near the door at home for when my son comes in from the sand box and it is a life saver at the beach!

Sarah

Your update just made me so excited for my trip (well..MORE excited...22 days!!!). We have an ADR for Cape May Cafe for dinner, and it had slipped my mind that they have the crayons and paper table cloths. We love those :) Also the nice walk to the Beach Club via International Gateway and the stroll back through WS afterward. We had this exact experience on our last trip (minus crayon school) and I can't wait to repeat it!

oh my! Your pictures just make me smile....can't get enough of those precious little faces! Friends we make on the Dis boards tend to be some of the very best people don't they! You are definitely blessed to have each other in your lives!

I love Cape may , I haven't been for dinner just for breakfast and it's such a great spot. I love the idea of walking back through the world showcase at night from beach club / boardwalk at night it looks magical. I need to sniff harder next time I enter the beach club , as I keep reading about the smell !!! Maybe I have poor nostrils , note to self stop in the lobby and smell next time . I can't wait to hear more :cool1:

Found your report via Dani's report and I am sooo happy I came on over! Your family seems so cool and laid back. I am looking forward to hearing more!

Your room organizing skills are pretty awesome. I would like to say that I am going to steal them but I won't...we are the type that live out of the suitcase (gasp!).

I really enjoyed your "second-hand" review of the Behind the Seeds tour. We are big Living with the Land fans and I have always wondered about this tour. I don't recall ever seeing this reviewed in a TR before.

Your DH takes wonderful pictures! Keep the updates coming!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter