What news source do you trust the most?

I check out a dozen news sites, take them all with a grain of salt. I tend to believe my local news the most, as they report on house fires, car crashes, etc. They don't do too much of the political stuff, and it's easy to check other sites for other POV.

Who knows if the news was ever unbiased?

I check out a dozen news sites, take them all with a grain of salt. I tend to believe my local news the most, as they report on house fires, car crashes, etc. They don't do too much of the political stuff, and it's easy to check other sites for other POV.

Who knows if the news was ever unbiased?

It at least used to seem less blatantly biased. We all have opinions on events, and journalists may have let a little of their own feelings seep in, trying to lead you to their conclusion, but I think more of both sides of a story were presented. Today many reports are basically what would have been called editorials in the past. If the other side is presented it is usually to point out how wrong a position it is.

Ha! I live in FL and so last year we had 7 straight days of Hurricane Irma is on the way coverage. The local stations, were calm and normal, with facts on things like supplies and evacuating. Turning on the national news at that time you would have thought the world was ending - they played it up so dramatically and were just ridiculous.

So yeah I still will watch local for the weather at least.

To us West Coasters the past 3 years it seems like any approaching Atlantic storm is "the biggest storm in history" according to the national networks. Doesn't matter which coast it is, and whether it is rain or wildfires, the big issue is people were allowed to build in places they never ever ever should have been allowed to build in. Then there is Valmeyer, Illinois where FEMA put their foot down. No more money to rebuild unless they moved the town out of the flood plain. So they town was rebuilt 1 mile away, on higher ground. Problem solved.

The only time I see the big three US cable news networks is at the gym. They are all pretty horrible. It is particularly shocking how bad CNN is now.

I use news aggregator sites online to pick through a wide variety of sources.

ETA: And yes, the news was always biased. When ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS were the only TV news sources, I noticed even as a young man that they sometimes referred to politicians as conservative, right, or far-right but NEVER as liberal, left, or far-left.

Last edited:

I can't think of one that has is not somewhat biased, but I find that CNN does the best job of reporting the facts. I'm politically independent, so I don't discount a network's validity just because I don't like the particular facts that they present.

One in particular network is so incredibly selective in their fact presentation that I cannot watch without laughing. Especially the evening programming. When I go to my in-laws, they have it blaring. It is, literally and figuratively, an echo chamber.
Most cable channels show opinion programming in the evening, not news programming.

Sadly your own eyes aren't enough. Can you see into Syria, or into the poisoning in the UK? Like it or not, news sources feed you what is happening. Sadly, most put slants on the reporting. Even the Financial Times is guilty of this, and that's as dry as you can get! What I'm pushing for is who, in the myriad of slants, agrees with your stomach the most?
And I think it can also be argued that your own eyes still see things from your perspective which is tainted by your own experiences & biases so it’s not the ultimate truth either.

I like the BBC and sometimes check out C-Span when Congress is up to something. I do sometimes watch local news too and a few commentators on the national news channels.

pravda_1986oct_440.jpg

Alternative news sites are what we read. No network news at all because there are very few journalists. They are news readers and they are all biased. I was in journalism school in the 1970's and my professors would fail 99.9% of today's "journalists.

Global News, our local newspaper. CBC.

In the USA I find Fox new incredibly biased. And for a supposedly Christian outlet they have they most horrendous people commenting on their stories. I glanced at the ones about the Humboldt bus crash and was shocked at the vile comments allowed. That right there tells me exactly what Fox stands for if they allow that kind of garbage. But thankfully not my circus not my monkeys as I'm not American.
The comments on most of their articles are truly horrific. The things they said about those poor kids from the Parkland shooting... I'm still stunned by what I read.

Hi everyone,

Please respect the DIS guidelines and stay away from any/all political comments. Thank you.

I subscribe to or regularly read:

The NYTimes. Once upon a time in my lifetime NYC had at least 15 easy to acquire newspapers and as children we were expected to read as many as we could find so we could discuss current events at the dinner table, school and any social event. The Times is the only that was then and this is now periodical I still read.
We were also required to recite poetry in church but but I digress into a world where children weren't fragile little beings who needed protection from the real world 's problems;).

WSJournal. Been around a long time but when I was younger I didn't understand it's point and basically ignored it. Now I see it as an erudite and polite newspaper and read it avidly. Great for figuring what to do with money too.

Washington Post

Crain's NY....reading it less and less since I'm semi retired.

I listen or watch BBC News, PBS, France 24, and a local cable channel called NY1 online. Sometimes I watch Al Jazeera as counterpoint.

When I need a giggle or 2, I watch FoxNews' and MSNBC's commentators.

On Sunday mornings, I still watch "Meet the Press or "Face the Nation", and "CBS Sunday Morning". Nice to get the brain cranked up on a rest day.

I've faith in the Fourth (oops- I be getting old for any one who picked up on my mistake;)) Estate and like the founders of this country see their use and need.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter