• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Was Your First Dining

I will never forget my first experience at a WDW restaurant. I was 13, it was my first trip, we were at the MK in the middle of September and we were all getting pretty hot and thirsty. Stop in to Pecos Bill's where I order a bottle of Sunny Delight. "That'll be $2.50", my eyes are about to bug out of my head but I'm thinking, wow, that must be one big bottle of SunnyD. Much to my surprise it was smaller than one of those lunch box size ones you can buy now. Oh the joys of finding out just how much the magic costs. :teeth:

My first experience of WDW dining was Pinocchios Villlage Haus ~ I had the cheeseburger and didn't care for it. My second experience was Plaza Pavillion, think I had the chicken dish. Food was not bad but didn't like the fact that the birds flew onto the tables for scraps of food, can't blame WDW for that. Haven't made return visits to either places.

Well, this was 1982 and I was 6, so it was probably a hot dog in Fantasyland. Not memorable, eh?

I do remember a character breakfast at Empress Lily (now Fulton's), dinner at King Stefan's Banquet Hall (now CRT), the Hoop-Dee-Doo and the Polynesian's luau. But I don't know which was first!

May 1996 - Polynesian Luau ~ As far as I remember, it was good. :) Haven't been back there since, though.

August, 1977. I was 12. We arrived late in the day at the Contemporary. My brother and I headed downstairs to the Food and Fun Center where we ate hot dogs and played games.

From my first trip as a child in 1976 - I remember Papette Bay Verandah (where O'hana is now) and the Coral Isle Cafe (now Kona Cafe) at the Poly. I think the Papette Bay was the more upscale of the two, had very dim lighting. I also remember a place on the 1st floor that might have been called "The South Sea Room" (or something like that) - it was located where the Art Gallery is now. Over at the Contemporary I believe Chef Mickey's was called the Terrace Buffeteria and Concource Steakhouse had a similar name. There was also a restaurant up on the concourse called the Pueblo Room which I think I liked and a place on the 2nd floor called The Gulf Coast room which was, at least to me, a very fancy place.

Our first dining experience was the character breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. This was in 1993 when it was Mary Poppins, Minnie, Goofy, Chip & Dale (I think), and I'm not sure who else. I always wanted to stay at the GF and I figured that if I couldn't stay there, at least I could eat there. It was magical!
ps: We finally did get to stay there at Christmas time in 2001! YAY!

Our first meal was at LTT!

We had salad, clam chowder and a roll each (can you tell we were on a budget?). I was hoping that they'd used the same clam chowder recipe that the Blue Bayou at DL uses (it's the BEST). I was disappointed, because they don't.

However- that just means that we have to keep going back to DLR every so often!!

Our first trip with DS's then 4 was at Chef Mickeys. I will always remember it as a great way to start our vacation!::yes::

Our first trip was in November, 1985. After doing the all night drive from South Jersey, we arrived at the World at 7AM. Pulled my first newbie move by paying at Main Gate, and then driving to the Contemporary to check in. (never thought to show our reservation!).
After parking we all (me,DW,DD) stood, mouths wide, gaping at the Contemporary. Then came the second newbie move, all pointing and yelling, "A Monorail!!".
After checking in, we rode the escalator up to the Grand Canyon Concourse. After gaping again, we made the left towards the eateries, and noticed one that had, besides Guests, some wierdos in costumes, what a bunch of characters! That was our first Disney Dining Experience , the character Breakfast at the then Terrace Cafe, which has since morphed into Chef Mickey's.
After eating there was an incident that we've never forgotten, and still talk about. There was in those days, a Guest Services desk was located at the escalators. As we walked up, there was a guest really laying into the cast member on duty. It was one of those times, as a bystander, you really felt sorry for the CM. The fuming guest left, and we cautiously moved up, to be greeted by a big smile, and a cheerful "Hi! How can I help you?" It was our first taste of the Magic, and has set a tone for us ever since.

Have A Disney Day:earsboy:
Frank

My first WDW meal was one I cooked in our camper at Fort Wilderness in APRIL 1972; yes, I am an old mouseketeer and still lovin' WDW!

Originally posted by vonpluto

After parking we all (me,DW,DD) stood, mouths wide, gaping at the Contemporary. Then came the second newbie move, all pointing and yelling, "A Monorail!!".
?" It was our first taste of the Magic, and has set a tone for us ever since.

Have A Disney Day:earsboy:
Frank
enjoyed yur memories,
i think when you go to disney and say "ho hum " it's time to go someplace else!

To say thanks to all who have posted.Ihave enjoyed reading each one and boy some of great experiences you've had.It affirms the magic spot Disney has in my heart and yours to from what I've read.Thanks again for sharing:wave2:

I have only two vivid memories from my first trip when I was four years old. The first is of my father picking me up out of bed and putting me in the winnebago in the middle of the night to start the drive to WDW. The second is the HOOP-DE-DOO Revue. I still love that dinner show, it brings back some great memories. And I still leave in the middle of the night to drive to the happiest place on earth! I can't wait to make some more great memories in a couple of weeks.:bounce: :hyper:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter