What's the deal with all of the scooters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1452190_624012584311890_1551614959_n.jpg

I'm an ECV user, all the time. I have rheumatoid arthritis and Lupus, and I don't look "sick" or "disabled." I have waited many times for a bus, while my daughter and grandkids went back to our resort ahead of me. I also wait thru the regular lines at the parks, unless my ECV can't go thru because of stairs. I don't use a GAC or DAS because I don't mind waiting. I've been ridiculed, gotten snide remarks, and I've had people stop right in front of me, expecting me to stop for them. If I accidentally bump into someone, I say I'm sorry. I don't let other's negatively impact my vacation, because I'm at DISNEY, and that's all that matters!

Seriously? I hope this is a joke but I'm thinking it likely is not. :(

Why do you hope it is a joke? If I take a family member to WDW who cannot stand on a bus, I see to it that they don't. I don't pass off that responsibility to total strangers. I think it is ridiculous that people can't be bothered to see to the care of their own family members, but act shocked and appaled when strangers won't do it for them.

There will probably be an uptick in scooter use with the new DAS system in effect. Some people used to get Guest Assistance Cards to help with their mobility issues. Disney has clamped down on that with the new system by insisting that all mobility issues will be solved by a wheelchair or ECV. So there may be more scooters than before.

I agree with this. Since so many people complained about the GAC card, Disney is no longer giving the new DAS card to people with mobility issues. instead, Disney is recommending that those people who previously walked, but needed the extra help of the GAC card, rent ECVs or wheelchairs. Since Disney rents these, it is a win-win situation for them. I fully expect that we will see more and more of these in the parks as time progresses.

You know, I keep hearing about all these scooters with 10, 15, 20 people with them (it keeps getting higher every time we have one of these threads), but I've never seen one. It's amazing how they only appear when there is someone already disgruntled about ECV users.

I have. In AK on Nov 11, there was a man on a scooter with at least 10 people with him. We got to the entrance for the safari at the same time and someone in the group said to the group "follow so and so" and they all did. They got to where scooters/wheelchairs leave the regular line and they all went there together. So, it does happen, but not terribly often.

But, let's all be honest, every single person on a scooter doesn't necessarily "need" one. That doesn't mean most don't, but 100%, probably not. The odds are just against it.

What I do have issue with is how fast a lot of them drive. They really shouldn't go faster than the average person walks. Sorry, but they're meant to be used in situations where people are walking, not driving. I was nearly run over a couple of times. Just because someone's in a scooter doesn't give them the right of way all the time. Common courtesy of letting people go in front of you occasionally and not intentionally blocking them should be the norm, not the exception.

I hate when ppl are judgemental about those in scooters ,because I am one of the ones who gets ugly stares because of my scooter. I am a perfectly healthy and a little overweight 38 yr old. I don't have a mobility issue but i have a cardiac problem. I do not need a scooter at home or around my hometown, but I also do not walk 5-10 miles a day at home. I can hop off of my scooter just fine and go to the restroom or to the ride. I often even park it to get into the regular lines. The extra walking around the parks is what puts stress on my heart and I had rather not end up in the hospital during my vacation. I actually heard a comment directed towards me regarding scooter abuse during my last trip. But you know what???? it's my vacation, my business, and my $150 for the scooter, so therefore DON'T JUDGE!!!:goodvibes

Not flaming you, but you can't tell by looking at someone if they need the wheelchair/scooter or not.

You go to Disney, you deal with the mob.

Just so you know, you're probably about to meet the mob anyway...in 3....2....
:rotfl2: Too funny son of Gadsden just too funny. Spit my Diet coke out. :moped::moped::moped::moped:

Hahaha I too thought the same when I finished reading this.

We are a family of 4 that frequents Disney so here is my 2 cents.
YES, it IS a pain to have to wait for a scooter to load the bus first, after you waited 30 + min for a bus, a scooter arrives in the last second and then gets to board ahead of you. We've all been there. Yes, there are people who "APPEAR" to not NEED a scooter or who APPEAR to be just overweight and the thought of walking for long periods of time can be challenging.
HOWEVER, the ability to use a scooter and enable someone to enjoy Disney and other parks is priceless. You don't know WHY people need a scooter and to just assume that an overweight person is using one because he/she is overweight is ignorant.

Our next trip to the world in Feb will consist of my 70 year old mom with arthritis and back disc issues to join us with a SCOOTER. She has not been to Disney in over 25 years and is Beyond excited to go. But, in order for her to join us, she WILL need a scooter. Oh...and imagine this....she is also overweight. However, she also has had back issues for YEARS before she was overweight.
So, bottom line.....don't assume. Take a step back and just say a little prayer of thanks that YOU are not in that scooter making someone else's trip a little more inconvenient.
:furious:

Quite frankly, as long as I'm not pushing an elderly person off her scooter and speeding through crowds and plowing down folks to avoid security, I don't see how it's anyone's business how I get around the parks.

Perfectly stated. It's none of anyone else's business how you or I get around the parks. If any part of the bus transportation system bothers a person, that person should either stay at a resort where they will not have to take the buses, and/or rent a vehicle & drive themselves to & from their destinations. When one chooses to take the bus, one accepts it, good or bad. Nobody has to take the bus, or any other form of Disney transportation. That is a choice one makes.

ECVs will continue to be in all areas of WDW & their numbers will increase, in part because Disney's new DAS system has made it necessary for some to use mobility aids who had previously used the GAC to help them out. Disney made the choice to move those guests from the GAC system into wheelchairs or ECVs.

My DW needs a scooter to enjoy Disney World. I do not enjoy watching tears roll down my DW's face after walking a half day. She walks sometimes and rides most of the time. I had a male in his 30's step in front of me and stop. He did glance at me before doing so. I made a comment about him wanting a broken ankle. He gave a stare that would kill. I told him look where the scooter came to his ankle. Look at the size and guess the weight of the scooter. Then told him to consider I weigh over 200 pounds. Now this scooter does not stop in 2 inches. Consider what that would do to his body and I was was going slowly because it was very crowded. he thought for a few seconds, then turned pale and left. I suspect he will not consider cutting across the path of an EVC soon. Most folks understand strollers. Now if we can get folks not to use strollers in front of us to plow through faster. Our biggest fear is hurting a child because an adult has to go very fast.

I just need to say that not everyone can walk very far with no rest. Both my mom and myself suffer from mobility issue and we have to rent a scooter by the end of our week. We r both RNs and feel horrible using them but if we did not then we will not enjoy our trip. Please don't judge a book by its cover till uknow more!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, so please advise if it needs to be moved. I am just back from a week long trip and it felt like there were more scooters there than strollers!! They were everywhere! This is my first trip back in 5 years and I just can't believe the difference. We stayed at Pop so we used the bus system for transportation. I think maybe twice we didn't have to wait while they loaded a scooter or 2 first, along with all of their family members. The scooters took up 3 seats each, then the families were seated. It way very annoying so have to wait on 2 or 3 buses to come.

I know it sounds as if I am unsympathetic, but I really am not. It's just when you see these people hopping out of them to go eat or go to the restroom and they look like they don't have a problem in the world, it makes you wonder. I would say 90% of them are overweight and I wonder if they aren't just using them to save their feet some discomfort and not because they have a back injury or some other ailment.

Also, some of them seem to be first-time scooter users because they were running over toes and into the back of people's legs.

I've at least learned a lesson from it. I will choose a monorail resort from now on.

You seem anything but sympathetic. You judge people based on their weight and whether you think they should be in a scooter.

I was there last week at Pop with my family and 2 members of our party where in scooters. Maybe you saw my Dad? Maybe what you don't know is that he can barely walk has beaten cancer and had both knees replaced and his kidney is failing him. Oh , he only he has one Kidney by the way and it was donated to him. But , yea just to look at him you wouldn't know that. I hope you do choose a monorail resort and have to wait for someone on a scooter. Or better yet maybe you or some family member will need some help someday and you can think back to this ignorant thread you started.

Karma is a ..

I brought my then 79-year-old mom to WDW right after my dad died in December of 2009. We rented her scooter. She couldn't drive it in the crowds. She sat and waited while the entire world passed in front of her. We exchanged the scooter for a manual wheelchair which I, alone, pushed. I wouldn't wish her experience or mine on anyone. This December we're traveling again and staying at the CR, hoping to by pass some of the transportation problems. This time I've rented her an electric wheelchair which I have become quite the expert driving (we use one whenever she leaves the house).

We're going to hold people up, I just know it. It's going to be really tough to get her into and out of bathrooms, and restaurants, and stores, and rides, and the hotel, and everything is going to take a heck of a lot longer than it would if she could walk. But she can't. She's too sick and too elderly and too heavy. I'm not entirely sure if she has control over any of those issues - and if I, her daughter and full-time caregiver, cannot judge her "culpability" certainly, no one else can. So instead of being irritated at us, notice that I might look a little stressed, or my mother might look a little embarrased. Instead of judging, think for a moment what a monumental effort it's been to pull of what she's calling her "last trip to Disney World." Think about the extra effort and patience our entire family (me, mom, my 10-yr-old dd) will need during nearly every moment of this trip. Maybe, instead of being irritated that we've cost you a few moments, or even minutes, just flash us a smile, maybe even ask if we need help.

Why do you hope it is a joke? If I take a family member to WDW who cannot stand on a bus, I see to it that they don't. I don't pass off that responsibility to total strangers. I think it is ridiculous that people can't be bothered to see to the care of their own family members, but act shocked and appaled when strangers won't do it for them.

I guess because I believe in common courtesy and random kindness. Your mileage may vary.

Wow...

I can't imagine managing a disability (obvious, "invisible" , life long or short term) and using a mobility aid to "enjoy" our trip at WDW. As has been said, I agree with those who have mentioned that at least families/friends CAN go somewhere like WDW that is accommodating to spend time so lets all take a step back here. Most of us are probably fortunate enough that we don't have to base our vacations around accommodations available. I don't walk in others shoes (or ride on their wheels) to know anything about their health situation.

Due to surgery, I was faced this past trip with needing a ECV (per Disney under DAS) and opted against it but reduced my park hours and rides, while DH and DD continued to tour. I wasn't comfortable operating one and I felt like I would hold up DH and DD. WDW also said for me to get a WC and push it through the parks to alternate when I needed it to sit (which was rare...standing and sitting was miserable). Again-not a good fit and I would've only frustrated other park goers pushing a WC with or without me in it. This was for my situation only-I absolutely make no judgements on others who decide differently. When we were there, I didn't notice anything like the OP wrote. Yet some others on the thread have talked about trying to stay on the monorail line...we were on the monorail 2 different days when CMs were assisting guests using ECVs/WCs get loaded with the ramp. I was truly saddened when the CMs had to yell about the law to get people moving to make accommodations for those guests.

I see others have mentioned DAS vs GAC...can someone explain why ECV use would be higher under DAS? I thought using a mobility device didn't affect services offered at lines under DAS. I guess I read those posts to say more would use ECVs to circumvent the new DAS but maybe I read it wrong.

Crowd control/direction would be great...but when is the last time someone actually saw the sidewalk or road ahead of them? No one would be able to see lines painted to crowd flow, IMO.

Sorry I got a little OT.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

from my last trip using a scooter, I had 2 times where I got angry at the able bodied people who made comments to me. one was as I was going down a street in the Studios, when a family started walking toward me. with no room to move safely I stopped my scooter and let them go by me. the person I assume was the mother was texting on her phone and ran into my stopped scooter. she yells at me why did you hit me?, remember I was not moving. her husband grabs her and says you ran into her. she tells him she did not as he is pulling her away. the second was as we were leaving MK at closing, as I was being loaded first on to bus, a man, not a CM, yells you can only take 1 person with you. so look at him and say ok you get to take our special needs grandson with him. he looks at child, a 4 year old, and okay take him with you. it was just the 3 of us. one thing to remember is that scooter have no brake like a bike, you just let off of the power to stop. please remember that when you decide to cut in front of a scooter and expect it to stop without hitting you. try driving on next time you are in Walmart and see how they work

I worry about us, as a society. I wonder what happened to courtesy, consideration and kindness. I wonder when we became so certain it was all about *us* and just when we became unable to allow another person a minute or two.

I am headed to Disneyworld with my family in December, and as God as my witness (because, after all, He will be =) I vow to give other folks a minute, hold open a door, allow a stroller and/or a scooter to pass by...

So my attitude is basically...be as ugly as you feel you gotta be, folks...I won't be budged from my vow to just. Be. Nice.

I travel with my mom who uses a scooter (she is 76 and has had knee surgery). I have on a few occasions had to wait buses to pass us by because either both spots were already taken with other scooter users and once the lift on the bus was not working.

I can't even tell you how many times people have bumped into her without seeing her since she is sitting down and not in their line of view and have not apologized. We have gotten dirty looks from people for not going fast enough for them or taking up too much space.

It's posts like this that make me sad that people would judge without knowing. Your on vacation people it is time to relax and enjoy not judge and make nasty comments!

Exactly!!! SAFETY for everyone is an issue. I didn't feel like mentioning this specifically in my first post, because it was so traumatizing for us. We are still driving back home from taking our 4 year old for for his first time. He was two steps infront of my husband walking to the stroller parking when a nearly 300 lb woman started to back over my son. He was knocked down and his legs were under the scooter. My husband acted fast and shoved her and the scooter off him. The wheels didn't go over him, we don't think, as there was a small space between the wheels. It was our first day at the parks and was extremely traumatizing for us, and scary to think what else she could have done to our precious son. We are bitter. Saw lots of crazy/annoying drivers he whole trip. Nearly running us down. We drove and didn't have to deal with them and buses- thank god. We plenty of "gangs" of scooters or single riders that appeared not to be with anyone else. Those were the most annoying and frustrating. If a whole family was with one, they seemed like they were trying to direct them. We were lucky to get past it, and it didn't ruin our whole trip, or send my son to the hospital. We saw a middle aged woman with some sort of ankle problem walking through the park with her family. If that lady could do it with her disability, sure seems like a large portion of scooter riders could do it.
I was just at Disney in October and had no problems. Perhaps you had so many because you weren't paying attention? Perhaps you belong on the group of people who I noticed who seemed to think that they have control of the sidewalk and everyone else must get out of the way. FYI, scooters do not have brakes and cannot stop on a dime. You also need to be courteous of others, it certainly sounds as though you are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter