What's up with all the cutbacks?

There is a great big world outside of Disney for family fun.

Yup. We thoroughly enjoy a couple smaller theme parks in New England. A day pass is $33. Their prices have hardly budged in years, and they are adding services, not taking them away. Come within the last 3 hours and go the next day free. A season pass is only $65. One of them even has a small but enjoyable water park with water slides within the park. Free parking. Incredibly clean and well kept. Food prices are reasonable. Lines are non-existent compared to Disney - even on a busy summer day, the most popular ride might have a wait of 20-30 minutes. More often than not you can get off the ride, go right back in line, and wait only 5 minutes. My kids love that they can ride their favorites multiple times in a row (without having to be up at the crack of dawn to rope drop or pay out the butt for the privilege). No planning required. Ride for ride mechanically speaking, they offer many of the same rides that Disney does. The area itself is far more beautiful, certainly a better climate (in the summer at least, lol) and offers a wide variety of activities and lodging is incredibly reasonable. We can easily spend a week in a condo, doing 4 days of various theme parks and activities, for $1500-1600, which includes lodging, food (mix of groceries and eating out), and tickets for 4 people. Compare that to paying $1800 US just for tickets at Disney - and that's before the price hike that's coming.

What other theme parks are missing however, are the Disney theme-ing and entertainment. No other parks are themed like Disney, and offer the same immersive experience. No other park comes close to touching Disney when it comes to parades, fireworks shows, character meet & greets etc... In this, Disney certainly excels. And, yes, quite honestly, a part of me (and the kids), miss that when at the other parks. They hugely rely on playing to the emotional connection people make to their films. The problem is, I'm just not sure a single parade (since the nighttime one is gone), an extremely overcrowded fireworks show, and character M&Gs with 30-60 minute wait times are worth the huge amount of extra money.

Yup. We thoroughly enjoy a couple smaller theme parks in New England. A day pass is $33. Their prices have hardly budged in years, and they are adding services, not taking them away. Come within the last 3 hours and go the next day free. A season pass is only $65. One of them even has a small but enjoyable water park with water slides within the park. Free parking. Incredibly clean and well kept. Food prices are reasonable. Lines are non-existent compared to Disney - even on a busy summer day, the most popular ride might have a wait of 20-30 minutes. More often than not you can get off the ride, go right back in line, and wait only 5 minutes. My kids love that they can ride their favorites multiple times in a row (without having to be up at the crack of dawn to rope drop or pay out the butt for the privilege). No planning required. Ride for ride mechanically speaking, they offer many of the same rides that Disney does. The area itself is far more beautiful, certainly a better climate (in the summer at least, lol) and offers a wide variety of activities and lodging is incredibly reasonable. We can easily spend a week in a condo, doing 4 days of various theme parks and activities, for $1500-1600, which includes lodging, food (mix of groceries and eating out), and tickets for 4 people. Compare that to paying $1800 US just for tickets at Disney - and that's before the price hike that's coming.

What other theme parks are missing however, are the Disney theme-ing and entertainment. No other parks are themed like Disney, and offer the same immersive experience. No other park comes close to touching Disney when it comes to parades, fireworks shows, character meet & greets etc... In this, Disney certainly excels. And, yes, quite honestly, a part of me (and the kids), miss that when at the other parks. They hugely rely on playing to the emotional connection people make to their films. The problem is, I'm just not sure a single parade (since the nighttime one is gone), an extremely overcrowded fireworks show, and character M&Gs with 30-60 minute wait times are worth the huge amount of extra money.

Canobie Lake is literally my favorite place close to home. And Six Flags had pretty awesome season pass deals this year, we missed out but will probably jump on those next year.

Silver Dollar City is my home park , I got a "retired" drink mug deal for $8 with free refills for the entire year. 8 Bucks, unlimited soda, think about that. Six Flags has similar deal for under $20.
I can also bring my own snacks. There is a great big world outside of Disney for family fun.

Sure! We cruise, visit other cities, planning a trip to Cartagena!

But, when we want our theme park/be a kid type trip, nowhere else comes close to the WDW experience.
We went to Dollywood and stayed at the DreamMore Resort. We absolutely LOVED it!!! The hotel and the park, fantastic coasters. But, the whole experience was two days at the most - let's just leave it at Pigeon Forge is not our cup of tea for vacationing. Where when we do Disney, we can plan an entire 9 nights just at Disney and still not be able to do everything.

So yeah, lots of places to visit out there, but comparing theme park to theme park vacations- Disney wins, no contest. :)

Sadly, the pricing means we only go every few years, now maybe even longer in between.

I also think 2021 will bring some parades and extras for the big anniversary blow out!!!

Last edited:

I agree but I worry about Disney cutting back on “free entertainment” as in cutting some of the citizens of Hollywood actors, and other things. Seems they are focusing more in adding events that they charge additional for.

But some parks do offer entertainment, SDC sure does. Even a parade at Christmas.

Sure! We cruise, visit other cities, planning a trip to Cartagena!

But, when we want our theme park/be a kid type trip, nowhere else comes close to the WDW experience.
We went to Dollywood and stayed at the DreamMore Resort. We absolutely LOVED it!!! The hotel and the park, fantastic coasters. But, the whole experience was two days at the most - let's just leave it at Pigeon Forge is not our cup of tea for vacationing. Where when we do Disney, we can plan an entire 9 nights just at Disney and still not be able to do everything.

So yeah, lots of places to visit out there, but comparing theme park to theme park vacations- Disney wins, no contest. :)

Sadly, the pricing means we only go every few years, now maybe even longer in between.

I also think 2021 will bring some parades and extras for the big anniversary blow out!!!

If you only compare total possible entertainment available...maybe...

But when you add cost as a factor and look at "value", I think a lot of places now give Disney a run for their money, and probably exceed the value Disney delivers, especially to a family.

If you only compare total possible entertainment available...maybe...

But when you add cost as a factor and look at "value", I think a lot of places now give Disney a run for their money, and probably exceed the value Disney delivers, especially to a family.

Sorry, not in my opinion. Total entertainment is the value to us and even with the cost today, WDW still beats the other theme park destinations trips we've taken by miles.

Remember, I'm talking theme park to theme park as vacation destinations - not camping, road trips, etc.... We plan to do Cedar Point in Ohio, but that would be a long weekend, not a true vacation for us, as we would never have enough to do to last us an entire week at least.

Sorry, not in my opinion. Total entertainment is the value to us and even with the cost today, WDW still beats the other theme park destinations trips we've taken by miles.

Remember, I'm talking theme park to theme park as vacation destinations - not camping, road trips, etc....

I know - I've been to many theme parks that have beaten Disney on value...no question...it's not hard when a family has to pay $3000+ to enter parks for 4 days (family of 6)...

I mean, 2 years ago, we entered Busch Gardens Williamsburg Christmas Town for $200 total for 2 days for a family of 6...we definitely got shows/amazing lights/rides/etc that far exceeded the value ratio that Disney would have to deliver (ie - Disney was not 6x+ better at 2 day Disney prices)...

I know - I've been to many theme parks that have beaten Disney on value...no question...it's not hard when a family has to pay $3000+ to enter parks for 4 days (family of 6)...

I mean, 2 years ago, we entered Busch Gardens Williamsburg Christmas Town for $200 total for 2 days for a family of 6...we definitely got shows/amazing lights/rides/etc that far exceeded the value ratio that Disney would have to deliver (ie - Disney was not 6x+ better)...

And that works for you and that's great! :)

For us, while we enjoy other theme parks, it's just not the same as when we do Disney. Tangible, intangible, whatever, we find Disney still a better value for entertainment - hotels, parks, restaurants, the "feels", all of it.

Not saying the price increases don't hurt, they do, but we will still go, just less often if need be.

Remember, I'm talking theme park to theme park as vacation destinations - not camping, road trips, etc.... We plan to do Cedar Point in Ohio, but that would be a long weekend, not a true vacation for us, as we would never have enough to do to last us an entire week at least.

In and around Branson, I can fish, hike, boat, water ski with no fear of Alligators, outlet mall shop, take a day trip to Arkansas and see world class art at Crystal Bridges for free all without remotely entertaining the thought of going to a country show.

Dianey can blow your mind with theming, I love Disney but it's getting to where Disney doesn't love you. You are just a turnip they intend to squeeze till there is nothing. They spend, what a billion for Pandora and you got one really good Ride and one that is a push. But it'll take half a day to do both. Imagine if Herscend spent that kind of money on a new section at SDC and/or Dollywood and what you would get out of it.

In and around Branson, I can fish, hike, boat, water ski with no fear of Alligators, outlet mall shop, take a day trip to Arkansas and see world class art at Crystal Bridges for free all without remotely entertaining the thought of going to a country show.

Dianey can blow your mind with theming, I love Disney but it's getting to where Disney doesn't love you. You are just a turnip they intend to squeeze till there is nothing. They spend, what a billion for Pandora and you got one really good Ride and one that is a push. But it'll take half a day to do both. Imagine if Herscend spent that kind of money on a new section at SDC and/or Dollywood and what you would get out of it.

Branson would bore me out of my mind. :)

Of course Disney doesn't care about me. I would never expect them to. They want my money and I'm still happy to give it to them, just not as often.

Anyways, everyone should enjoy everywhere they travel, that's what life is about!

And there’s some that Disney bores out of their minds. I have some in my family. Used to like it, now find it too kitschy.

As they say, it’s a great big beautiful world. I love finding places we can drive to easily in less that 5-6 hours. I love relaxing vacations, and I love listening to live music, particularly jazz. Nothing better than live music for my husband and me.

And there’s some that Disney bores out of their minds. I have some in my family. Used to like it, now find it too kitschy.

As they say, it’s a great big beautiful world. I love finding places we can drive to easily in less that 5-6 hours. I love relaxing vacations, and I love listening to live music, particularly jazz. Nothing better than live music for my husband and me.

Yes. That's why I'm discussing my own opinion on the matter, not forcing it on anyone else. I get it has lost value for others, just not us and I was explaining why.

And yes, as I've stated, we love to vacation everywhere.

I could find, still, 2-3 ways to cut cost at Disney even now...If we were a family of 4. As a family of 6 and all 4 kids now 18 and older, impossible! Plus, out of the 4 kids, 2 have permanent girlfriends! The other 2 kids might have a serious girlfriend and boyfriend by the time we go in December 2019.

We will still help pay for Disney this next trip since everyone will be in college or military. But how in the world do you stay onsite with over 4-5 people anymore??? It would be a million dollars!

December 2019 the value rooms are close to $200 per night and we would easily need 3. We would have no kitchen of any sort. A moderate or an AOA suite...couldn't imagine.

So, we are offsite. We booked a HUGE vrbo for around $500/night. I split it with my sister and her family. We are 10 minutes from Disney and all non major roads.

Adding a few meals, candlelight package and the Hoop-de-doo we are still looking at $8000 for 6 people.

First time we went was in 2004 for around $2000. We pulled our RV to Fort Wilderness and got a military discount for $29/night. Campsite are now $175/night and no discounts.

My sister and I are experts at figuring out where to save and get the biggest bang for your dollar. It was no joke back then and it is REALLY no joke now!!!!

We will only go every 2 years. We used to do every year. Later, it might move to every 3.

What I loved about Disney when my kids when they were little was the educational part. The countries at Epcot, the Tomorrow land at MK, AK and the nature trail etc... That is what I don't want to go away! It seemed like things were meant to be discovered and learned.

But some parks do offer entertainment, SDC sure does. Even a parade at Christmas.

Oh for sure! I was just speaking more to the ones I was referencing. And they do offer some shows, just not Disney caliber of course. But I realize others do have some great offerings.

I agree but I worry about Disney cutting back on “free entertainment” as in cutting some of the citizens of Hollywood actors, and other things. Seems they are focusing more in adding events that they charge additional for.

Don't you pay for "free entertainment" with park entry ticket?

Every thing has a cost. It's just factored in so you think it's free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter