When did ToT become a Cell Phone Experience

These threads always make me laugh because the people complaining about "this generation" being obsessed with their phones and their selfies don't realize that the first selfie was taken in the 1800s. This is not a new phenomenon. If iPhones had existed 50 years ago, the complaints would have started 50 years ago. As a bonus, those people might also know how to work them without needing to ask an 8 year old for help. :rotfl:

Every complaint about seeing "so many people constantly on their phones" means that you spent your time watching people looking at their phones. If you want to live your life watching people watching a screen, that's your prerogative, but I'll be enjoying the experience without worrying about that.

I see this type of use and it never bothers me. Due to an injury as a child, flashes temporarily blind me for a few minutes instead of a few seconds. I've literally not seen rides because of it (and won't go to day time movies where you're going to emerge into the blinding sun with people who don't know about this). I always figured it the rule was for exactly this. There are ways to use a cell phone on a dark ride like IASW without bothering anyone at all. The flashes will bother the whole boat. On thrill rides, it seems dangerous, because I'd sure hate to get a iphone 7plus to the face (and that would be my luck). I don't think that all cell phone use is wrong, its called situational awareness, if people are considerate, it's going to make for a good experience for everyone.

The yelling thing is the exact same thing - consideration for those around you.

The guy losing it and making the whole ride cringeworthy? - consideration for those around you.

Narrating?!! - consideration for those around you.

I am befuddled about why talking on a cell phone would bother anyone - unless they had it on speaker perhaps? If so = consideration for those around you. People that just want to complain about people being on their phones, you wouldn't complain about someone talking to a companion, so I always find this issue kinda shrugworthy.

Yep situational awareness is a big deal for sure and always important.

I do find it funny when people complain about cell phone use in the parks on here because the board is run by a team that is constantly in the park delivering us great videos and gasp even on ride videos shot from an iphone! I mean the live from the parks segments have at times included riding people-mover while talking to the viewers, running around filming silly things, etc.

QX3pg.gif

Beat me to it! :coffee:

These threads always make me laugh because the people complaining about "this generation" being obsessed with their phones and their selfies don't realize that the first selfie was taken in the 1800s. This is not a new phenomenon. If iPhones had existed 50 years ago, the complaints would have started 50 years ago. As a bonus, those people might also know how to work them without needing to ask an 8 year old for help. :rotfl:

Every complaint about seeing "so many people constantly on their phones" means that you spent your time watching people looking at their phones. If you want to live your life watching people watching a screen, that's your prerogative, but I'll be enjoying the experience without worrying about that.

Thank you.

Yeah, you hear it all the time. It's not that people have really changed that much, just that technology has provided the means to make that stupidity more visible, noticeable, and preserved forever on the Internet. That technology was only created to tap into what people wanted anyway. It's human nature.

People that just want to complain about people being on their phones, you wouldn't complain about someone talking to a companion, so I always find this issue kinda shrugworthy.

I hear you. But a large segment of cell phone users TALK LOUDLY, like they're using two cans and a string. That's MUCH louder than face-to-face conversations.

The only roller coaster that really has that kind of force at Disney is rockin roller. They rest of them with a good loop strapcase you are not likely to drop the phone. Again I don't do it on coasters but if was really that big of a problem Disney would put them in lockers and ban them on rides like Uni does.
Space mountain. Phone could easily fall out of your hand, and because of the nature of the ride hit the person behind or another car around you.

Anyone with eyesight will have their focus drawn to a small lighted screen in a dark room. Movie theaters and Universal both ban cell phones. Why not Disney?
This exactly. You go in the ride and your eye is drawn to the phone screen. Or if they use the flashlight you get to see stuff not intended. Just imagine Space Mountain with lights on. ToT with lights on is not nearly as spooky and fearful. It loses some the thrill created by Rod Serling. If you can't handle that fear before the up or down, please don't ride.

And you are probably the one with the cell phone in front of my face while on POTC. Hard not to "watch" the ride thru the persons cell phone/Ipad in the air with a bright light. Not hard to notice when people are talking ( yelling) on their phone when you are trying to enjoy a meal. I try to live my life at a low profile and not loud and obnoxious on a *bleeping* phone.

Just trying to illustrate that most of the danger people think is just paranoia and not something that is actually happening.
I think "paranoia" is a bit strong. I'm not personally freaking out or anything! :)

I'd just prefer people keep their phones put away during rides because 1) it often becomes annoying to fellow guests, and 2) in some cases might be dangerous.

Yep situational awareness is a big deal for sure and always important.

I do find it funny when people complain about cell phone use in the parks on here because the board is run by a team that is constantly in the park delivering us great videos and gasp even on ride videos shot from an iphone! I mean the live from the parks segments have at times included riding people-mover while talking to the viewers, running around filming silly things, etc.
Not a fan of those. Would be even LESS of a fan if I was riding with them when they filmed it. To each his/her own... I'm pretty consistent, though. :)

:confused3 Hard to miss them when they have their screens on bright in HM... or PotC... or PP... or... ... You don't have to TRY to watch them.

Yeah, you hear it all the time. It's not that people have really changed that much, just that technology has provided the means to make that stupidity more visible, noticeable, and preserved forever on the Internet. That technology was only created to tap into what people wanted anyway. It's human nature.
Yes... and that fact HAS changed our experience in the parks in many ways. Some aren't fans of those changes. Seems legitimate.

I hear you. But a large segment of cell phone users TALK LOUDLY, like they're using two cans and a string. That's MUCH louder than face-to-face conversations.

That can happen. And some people are just loud! Which goes back to my whole "consideration of those around you" issue.

Yes... and that fact HAS changed our experience in the parks in many ways. Some aren't fans of those changes. Seems legitimate.

Oh, no, I absolutely agree with you. It has negatively affected experiences in many aspects of life, and I don't like it one bit. It's just when us old folks always want to blame the younger generations - really, had the means been there, people would have been just as rude back then. How long has flash photography been a problem? It's not so much a change in attitudes as an enabling of them.

Oh, no, I absolutely agree with you. It has negatively affected experiences in many aspects of life, and I don't like it one bit. It's just when us old folks always want to blame the younger generations - really, had the means been there, people would have been just as rude back then. How long has flash photography been a problem? It's not so much a change in attitude as an enabling of them.
I think there's a bit of both... technology enabling some bad impulses that certainly aren't new, and people seeming to increasingly think that EVERY LITTLE THING they do is truly FASCINATING... worthy of being "selfied", filmed, live-blogged... Maybe I'm just an old fogey already! :D

Last edited:
I think there's a bit of both... technology enabling some bad impulses that certainly aren't new, and people seeming to increasingly think that EVERY LITTLE THING they do is truly FASCINATING... worthy of being "selfied", filmed, live-blogged... Maybe I'm just an old foggy already! :D

Well, I think it's all just human nature. Maybe we didn't know we had those inclinations. I do think the technology has the ability to amplify those attitudes though, but I don't think it just generated out of nowhere.

And how many idiots drop their phone into the water, etc? Then you have to listen to their complaints to stop the ride immediately, or their effort to climb out to get it!

Anyone with eyesight will have their focus drawn to a small lighted screen in a dark room. Movie theaters and Universal both ban cell phones. Why not Disney?
Except for that time that AMC Theatres decided "Hey let's let people use their cell phones for texting and whatnot during the movie"....yeah that was a PR disaster. Thankfully they realized their error and nixed the idea. Even if it was going to be in some movie showtimes and not others the whole idea was just far out there.

Seriously I love AMC but their CEO lost his darn mind when he said this statement when the pilot program was still on:
upload_2017-7-6_14-51-38.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter