When did ToT become a Cell Phone Experience

I'll admit, I tried this once on my last trip. I love taking POV videos to share with my friends who can't go to WDW (or to give the ones planning a trip a preview of what they're in for). But after seeing the ToT video, I realized it was a complete waste of my time. A few seconds of random blurry light between mostly complete darkness. That's one ride where my phone is staying in my pocket from now on. (Oh, and for the record, I was in the back row and held the phone in front of my chest, just a couple inches away from my body, to try and minimize how much I was distracting other riders. But I do recognize that it might've been an issue.)

More and more people are living life thru their cell phones. Cell phone over use ( and abuse ) has ruined many a ride for us at WDW. It also extended to dining. We ate at Sci fi diner and the women in the front seat talked the whole time on her cell phone. >:(

Eh. Wouldn't do it myself, but it's not like it's a quiet restaurant. If she's talking at a reasonable volume, I don't find it any worse than a lot of people I've sat next to in restaurants.

Like the people in Venice (a very expensive tea place) that were gushing loudly over petco's pet clothing selections. I'll find a time machine and we can trade as long as that lady was discussing something less asinine.

If i was in charge of disney i would ban people taking selfies and using cameras/phones on rides.

I cant stand it.

Funny story. DW had a large sunhat that the CM said to put on the floor in front of her seat on TOT.

Well, on the first drop, hat goes up in the air, and comes down on the person in front of her... who SCREAMED.

Next time elevator drops, hat goes up again, and again lands on the same person, who again SCREAMED.

Hat landed on same person after EVERY drop, and after every drop, he SCREAMED.

(DW tried grabbing it, but couldn't reach it).

After the ride, he says to his wife, "Wasn't that effect of grabbing you on the head on each drop AMAZING!!!"

She looked at him like he was crazy, and said, "What are you talking about?"

He said, "At every drop, they had something brush on our heads to scare us! Didn't you feel it?"

She said, "No. I guess mine was broken."

We didn't say anything.

This story is hysterical! I loved it! This story actually really did make me laugh out loud. :rotfl2: It was just so easy to picture the scene, and I could just see you and your DW smirking to yourselves as you exited the ride without saying anything to the couple. Thanks for sharing!

Anyone with eyesight will have their focus drawn to a small lighted screen in a dark room. Movie theaters and Universal both ban cell phones. Why not Disney?

I agree, cell phones should be banned on dark rides, just like cameras. Of course, people will still use them anyway because there are already signs posted and these people just think that they only think about themselves and what they want. They are not concerned about anyone else's enjoyment or feelings.

More and more people are living life thru their cell phones. Cell phone over use ( and abuse ) has ruined many a ride for us at WDW. It also extended to dining. We ate at Sci fi diner and the women in the front seat talked the whole time on her cell phone. >:(

What's the difference if someone is talking the whole time on her cell phone or talking to the person next to her? Not meaning to be snarky, just honestly wondering. Was it her volume? Just curious.

I took the most adorable video of my one year's old very enthusiastic reactions to IASW in the final room(where the light is the best). I was in the front row, she was in the second. We are a group of 10 so take up a few rows.

This is a memory that I am thankful I captured. My screen was facing the front of the boat (so, bothering no one unless someone in the boat in front of us fully turned around). There wasn't any screen light anyways. No flash, because DUH. Shouldn't have bothered anyone unless someone sitting in the rows behind us was bothered by me partially turned looking at my child pointing the back of a phone at her (not obstructing anyone's view.)

And believe me, I was enjoying that moment even though I was holding my phone. And now I can enjoy it again whenever I want to for the rest of my life. And she can too.

There are ways to do this that do not affect others' experiences. Someone had their flash on while recording a video in PotC on our last trip. I don't get how people think that is ok.

Didn't read all posts and I am sure this has already been said, but to add another vote...
I agree that all phone/camera/recording devices should be banned from rides and attractions.
Let Disney decide what videos to post. I like to have the experience be a surprise.
Take pics of your family, not my ride experience.

While riding GMR on Wednesday, our tour guide asked a woman THREE time and finally called her out by what row she was in and what she was wearing before she stopped flash photography.

What's the difference if someone is talking the whole time on her cell phone or talking to the person next to her? Not meaning to be snarky, just honestly wondering. Was it her volume? Just curious.
Yes, she was loud. Dh and I were in the seat behind her. And if she was talking that volume to someone next to her we would have been just as annoyed. I have noticed that people have gotten louder and want to share the most intimate details of their conversation to everyone around them. My observation.

I took the most adorable video of my one year's old very enthusiastic reactions to IASW in the final room(where the light is the best). I was in the front row, she was in the second. We are a group of 10 so take up a few rows.

This is a memory that I am thankful I captured. My screen was facing the front of the boat (so, bothering no one unless someone in the boat in front of us fully turned around). There wasn't any screen light anyways. No flash, because DUH. Shouldn't have bothered anyone unless someone sitting in the rows behind us was bothered by me partially turned looking at my child pointing the back of a phone at her (not obstructing anyone's view.)

And believe me, I was enjoying that moment even though I was holding my phone. And now I can enjoy it again whenever I want to for the rest of my life. And she can too.

There are ways to do this that do not affect others' experiences. Someone had their flash on while recording a video in PotC on our last trip. I don't get how people think that is ok.

See, this I get. I have great pics of my little guy's first ride on Dumbo, which I got by being in the elephant in front of him while he rode with his dad. I'll treasure those forever. But take a blurry, too dark pic of the scenery of Peter Pan? Why would I want that?

This story is hysterical! I loved it! This story actually really did make me laugh out loud. :rotfl2: It was just so easy to picture the scene, and I could just see you and your DW smirking to yourselves as you exited the ride without saying anything to the couple. Thanks for sharing!
It's been almost 10 years now since this happened, and we still laugh about it.

We also wonder how many times that guy has asked others about the special head-grabbing effect on TOT. Does he still talk about it? Being he's the only one in the world that ever experienced this ride effect, does he now think he imagined it? Does he think there were ghosts? Any other creative explanations?

And, to everyone that he has told about hisTOT experience.... What are they thinking when they hear his story?

What would you think if your friend told you about the head grabbing effect on TOT?

The photopass picture of me and my daughter showed her face and two arms holding up a cellphone where my face should have been. The man in front of me was recording.

At that point I would have asked a CM for a fastpass in order to ride again so you "could get a family picture without the cellphone" Disney is all about memories .. Right??

Regards

Paul

Some responses claim to only take photos/videos while not bothering any people around them, therefore no problem. The problem with this logic is most people believe they won't be bothering anyone around them because they are holding the camera close, have only family/friends around them, etc. If there is one rule for everyone the problem would be solved. The only real way to stop ruining the ride for others is to truly enforce the rule of no flash, video, etc. However, I'm not sure how this could be strictly enforced.

I wish they would ban video recording on all rides, but it should really be banned on ToT since the phone could be flying debris and someone else. This is why the vast majority of parks don't allow recordings on roller coasters or any other ride with a lot of movement.

Actually, that's not how the physics works. If someone is holding a cell phone and drops it during that type of ride, it isn't going to fly around and hit someone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter