• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took a look at recent covid statistics, and it is both amazing and horrifying to see how much worse the situation is in the US vs. Canada. For example, below are the new covid cases which were reported yesterday (Tuesday July 7th) in different jurisdictions. (note that different sources give slightly different statistics):

60,021 - United States (8.8x the population of Canada) 30x
- California (1.05x the population of Canada) 35x
7,347 - Florida (0.6x the population of Canada) 50x
1,010 - Orange County, California
(0.085x the population of Canada) 50x
- Orange County, Florida (0.037x the population of Canada) 40x
- Canada

The number in RED gives an indication of how much worse the jurisdiction is doing when compared to Canada, taking into account population size.

It would be crazy for Canada to open up the border with the US under the current circumstances. Trudeau is setting a good example for Canadians by refusing to travel to Washington today for the "new NAFTA" celebration.

Although the opening of Disneyland has been indefinitely delayed, it appears Disney World will be opening as scheduled in three days time. Not the wisest course of action that Disney could take...

I just took a look at recent covid statistics, and it is both amazing and horrifying to see how much worse the situation is in the US vs. Canada. For example, below are the new covid cases which were reported yesterday (Tuesday July 7th) in different jurisdictions. (note that different sources give slightly different statistics):

60,021 - United States (8.8x the population of Canada) 30x
- California (1.05x the population of Canada) 35x
7,347 - Florida (0.6x the population of Canada) 50x
1,010 - Orange County, California
(0.085x the population of Canada) 50x
- Orange County, Florida (0.037x the population of Canada) 40x
- Canada

The number in RED gives an indication of how much worse the jurisdiction is doing when compared to Canada, taking into account population size.

It would be crazy for Canada to open up the border with the US under the current circumstances. Trudeau is setting a good example for Canadians by refusing to travel to Washington today for the "new NAFTA" celebration.

Although the opening of Disneyland has been indefinitely delayed, it appears Disney World will be opening as scheduled in three days time. Not the wisest course of action that Disney could take...

It makes me wonder at what point they will close Disney world again. Do they need to wait until there are no ICU beds or ventilators left and hundreds of people are dead each day in Florida?

Honestly I’m kind of sickened by people going to Disney world right now.

It makes me wonder at what point they will close Disney world again. Do they need to wait until there are no ICU beds or ventilators left and hundreds of people are dead each day in Florida?

I don't expect the US Federal or Florida State or Orange County Florida local governments to take any significant action within the next few days. The only hope is that Disney will come to the realization that going ahead with the openings is a very bad idea. As embarrassing as it would be for Disney to cancel the opening at this late date, it would be much more embarrassing to shut down the parks a week after the reopening.

Below is a headline from yesterday which clearly gives the attitude of the Orange County Florida local government:

"We're managing the virus:" Orange County Mayor sees glimmer of hope in latest COVID-19 data

I don't expect the US Federal or Florida State or Orange County Florida local governments to take any significant action within the next few days. The only hope is that Disney will come to the realization that going ahead with the openings is a very bad idea. As embarrassing as it would be for Disney to cancel the opening at this late date, it would be much more embarrassing to shut down the parks a week after the reopening.

Below is a headline from yesterday which clearly gives the attitude of the Orange County Florida local government:

"We're managing the virus:" Orange County Mayor sees glimmer of hope in latest COVID-19 data
I’m in another group and I see posts about the CM preview how exciting it is. People talking about their visits in the next couple weeks and how excited they are, planning meet ups etc.

In the same groups people are also posting that they have to get tested because someone they were in contact with has it. People are posting that actually have covid and how crappy they are feeling. People are posting about their kids testing positive and some of these kids have had issues like loss on sense of taste or some trouble breathing. How they have to wait hours to get tested and then up to a week for results .

This is all in the same group. It blows my mind.

Honestly I’m kind of sickened by people going to Disney world right now.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...lable-icu-beds-state-data-shows-idUSKBN2482IS
Florida has 17% of its available ICU beds left ... FOR THE ENTIRE STATE. Let that sink in. I feel like Im in the twilight zone in the other forums these days.

The article above is from Reuters which I like to use because I use a website for media bias checking so that I’m not being fed whatever opinion the left or the right is trying to shove down my throat for the day. Reuters comes up as fairly neutral, and I would highly suggest using this website as a great tool to check the political leanings of news sources ;
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

Hopefully everyone here will realize how truly blessed we are to live in this country and STAY HERE!

We live in Edmonton, and I'm trying to come up with a summer holiday of some type we could take. At this point, I've considered and rejected driving to Calgary, flying to Victoria, and a staycation in Edmonton using hotel points.

Both my daughters have decided that they want to learn how to drive this summer. That might be the extent of my summer excitement this year (hopefully, not TOO exciting).

We live in Edmonton, and I'm trying to come up with a summer holiday of some type we could take. At this point, I've considered and rejected driving to Calgary, flying to Victoria, and a staycation in Edmonton using hotel points.

Both my daughters have decided that they want to learn how to drive this summer. That might be the extent of my summer excitement this year (hopefully, not TOO exciting).
My son will write his G1 test on Friday and then I too will be in the same boat. That will provide some excitement for us too. :scared:

We've been looking at some form of a summer holiday as well but I think for this year we will likely just stay home, maybe take a couple of day trips to some local lakes. Aside from trips to the US (obviously not happening anytime soon) we like to pop over to AB for a few days once in awhile but I can't even leave BC right now or I have to quarantine for 14 days before going back to work so that limits us too. I'm hoping maybe that restriction will change yet this summer.

Good luck with the driving lessons! We've taught 3 kids and still have 1 more to go in a few years. It can definitely be adventurous!

We are also trying to find some way to do a short vacation somewhere close to home. We are in BC on Vancouver Island but the prices are through the roof for accommodations. My husband thinks I am being way paranoid about everything, we only have 3 active cases on Vancouver island right now and have been very lucky in the numbers we are seeing in BC but I am still worried about staying in a hotel etc. I honestly am always the one who is wiping things down at any hotel and planes etc anyways.

As much as I want to be at disney I need to see the numbers go down to what we are seeing at home before I would even think about it. We have 2 trips planned for this year which will have to be cancelled at some point I am sure. One is late December so I am holding on to every ounce of hope I can for that one. Even though I know in my heart that it is a slim chance.

I’m in another group and I see posts about the CM preview how exciting it is. People talking about their visits in the next couple weeks and how excited they are, planning meet ups etc.

In the same groups people are also posting that they have to get tested because someone they were in contact with has it. People are posting that actually have covid and how crappy they are feeling. People are posting about their kids testing positive and some of these kids have had issues like loss on sense of taste or some trouble breathing. How they have to wait hours to get tested and then up to a week for results .

This is all in the same group. It blows my mind.

Agreed in my DVC group it seems once a day someone is asking how/if they are enforcing the 14 day quarantine from the Tri state area . I don’t understand why you would try to get around a quarantine order. It’s an order to try and control a pandemic .. I just don’t get it.

Agreed in my DVC group it seems once a day someone is asking how/if they are enforcing the 14 day quarantine from the Tri state area . I don’t understand why you would try to get around a quarantine order. It’s an order to try and control a pandemic .. I just don’t get it.
It's that 'it doesn't apply to me' 'I'm only one person so it's okay' mentality.

Quite honestly, my kids have an orthodontist appointment next week in Maine, and... I'm nervous crossing the border for that.

We are in BC on Vancouver Island

Isn’t living on Vancouver Island basically a 24/7/365 vacation? 😉

When I think about taking my family on a domestic vacation, the only place that even comes to mind is the island.

Not that we’re big on summer vacations - since summer in Calgary is so short, why would we spend it somewhere other than our back yard??? If I’m going somewhere, it’ll be in February when it’s -40...

Isn’t living on Vancouver Island basically a 24/7/365 vacation? 😉

When I think about taking my family on a domestic vacation, the only place that even comes to mind is the island.

Not that we’re big on summer vacations - since summer in Calgary is so short, why would we spend it somewhere other than our back yard??? If I’m going somewhere, it’ll be in February when it’s -40...
True we are very lucky to live here but the prices this year are insane!! lol. I am trying to be patient waiting for our summer to come but it is sure taking its time. Weather was better in March than it is now :rotfl2:

True we are very lucky to live here but the prices this year are insane!! lol. I am trying to be patient waiting for our summer to come but it is sure taking its time. Weather was better in March than it is now :rotfl2:
Really? We are dying in the east right now from the heat (not from COVID, but still more in LTCH than anywhere else). We would be happy to ship some of this back west if you want it. It must have forgotten to stop as passed across your region!

If I’m going somewhere, it’ll be in February when it’s -40...

The nice thing about Southern Alberta winters is that, if it is -40c one day, then the next day it could very well be +5c after a Chinook rolls in. Although that wind can be annoying. I remember driving in downtown Lethbridge during a windstorm one day many years ago, and seeing sheets of plywood at a construction site being blown three or four stories into the air.

The nice thing about Southern Alberta winters is that, if it is -40c one day, then the next day it could very well be +5c after a Chinook rolls in. Although that wind can be annoying. I remember driving in downtown Lethbridge during a windstorm one day many years ago, and seeing sheets of plywood at a construction site being blown three or four stories into the air.

It could be, but I’d still rather be on a beach. Just sayin’...

It could be, but I’d still rather be on a beach. Just sayin’...

I always tell my family and friends that life is something to be tolerated when a person isn't at Disneyland.

On the topic of the US/Canada border, the following very interesting article talks about how Canadians are responding to a request yesterday by a bi-partisan group of American members of congress who want the border to re-open.

Canadians Say "Keep It" to U.S. Congress Calls for Reopened Border

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter